• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 73558

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jul 2, 2020
France right? Not surprised given what I've seen and heard about people's experiences from French companies in Paris. Very hush hush work culture from what I understand.

Glad to see it exposed however. But this shouldn't stop here, there are bigger French companies where HR are likely hiding mountains of secrets like these.
To be fair, I think you'd see the same vile shit in other countries too. But yeah between Quantic Dreams and Ubisoft...
At least people are speaking out. One can hope it encourages others to do so.

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention in Canada. Should really be a top headline in the news here.
Oh yes it should.

I've contacted the Journal de Montréal and Radio-Canada (mainstream media here in Quebec) about this and asked them to request comments from Ubisoft Montreal and do a bit of investigation to make sure none of this gross stuff is happening there. I don't know if anything will come out of it but it beats being silent. Those quotes from Serge Hascoët are absolutely disgusting and I don't want this to get swept under the rug.

symphonask

Oct 28, 2017
Man, fuck Ubisoft. They're turning a blind eye to and perpetuating a culture of harassment; right from the top. Feel like nothing short of the entire upper management stepping down will begin to make this right.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I would support that. I honestly think if Era wants to be considered the progressive forum, especially since we have the hatred and rep as that outside the forum we should start actually putting our money where our mouth is and living up to it.

Yes. We shouldn't be their mouthpiece and give them any good PR...

Jun 13, 2020
I know what I'm about to say is a very small issue compared to everything else, but I'd suggest to ask streamers that we follow not to cover tomorrow's press conference in light of all this.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The point was to not be a forum owned by a rapist creep. Also this is not an alt-right enabling forum, which is kinda the whole point.

I understand your anger and looking at the situation in the games industry you'd have to heavily restrict discussions around Sony, THQ, Microsoft, Ubisoft, Activision, CDPR and many more just for their shitty internal practices. Only then I'd ask what's the point of having a forum. For what it's worth discussions about problematic games like KCD are allowed here and from what I can see the sexism/nazi issues are being brought up in every new thread and bad faith actors are being banned (even if clearly not all of them). Us being able to bring up these issues in every thread is more important than taking away the platform to talk about these games. That's also what sets Era apart from pretty much every other gaming discussion platform. Point your frustration at the company responsible, not this place... because Ubisoft seriously deserves to eat shit at this point.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
The point was to not be a forum owned by a rapist creep. Also this is not an alt-right enabling forum, which is kinda the whole point.

I understand your anger and looking at the situation in the games industry you'd have to heavily restrict discussions around Sony, THQ, Microsoft, Ubisoft, Activision, CDPR and many more just for their shitty internal practices. Only then I'd ask what's the point of having a forum. For what it's worth discussions about problematic games like KCD are allowed here and from what I can see the sexism/nazi issues are being brought up in every new thread and bad faith actors are being banned (even if clearly not all of them). Us being able to bring up these issues in every thread is more important than taking away the platform to talk about these games. That's also what sets Era apart from pretty much every other gaming discussion platform. Point your frustration at the company responsible, not this place... because Ubisoft seriously deserves to eat shit at this point.
Completely agree with this.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
All of this sounds terrible, I'm immediately skeptical of any organization that shifts the blame to support staff, such as HR. Human Resources has zero power in a corporation. They are essentially administrators, and they don't get to make decisions - managers do and corporate does.

So even if you fire every single member of an HR team, if nothing about the corporation changes all that has been done is scapegoating a serious problem and punishing people who had zero power to begin with.

edit: Reading more into this; it's clear that because some of the most damning quotes come from HR employees that they are not the source of the problem. It sounds to me like they clearly want change and have zero power to do so. If Ubisoft could place the blame on their kitchen staff I'm sure they would. Expendable employees always eat dirt for the shit-heels at the top.

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
That was very disappointing to read. I always admired Ubisoft for being a company with an obscene amount of employees relative to the entire game industry but with a work environment like that I don't see the benefit anymore.

It was nice that so many people were being paid to work but the human suffering that happens to be widespread from top to bottom is not worth it.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
One of the more irritating things is the Lawyer of Tommy Francois telling accusers to go to the authorities so that Tommy has the ability to "assure the authenticity... and prove their falsehood" This is the same shit you read form incels on reddit when metoo hit the the gaming/streaming scene. "Why didn't they go to police!!?" Sexual assault and rape is notoriously difficult to prove in a court of law so there are very few outlets for victims to speak. The old "charge us if we did something wrong" is so angering and tone deaf.

Generally speaking this is true but from what is being reported it really doesn't seem like it would take as much effort to build a case against the company by recording things going on at work and making multiple complaints that are acknowledged in writing even though they will all be dismissed.

I think it should be easier for a a few determined employees to build a case here because the abuse is both widespread and it sounds like it happens regularly.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
All of this sounds terrible, I'm immediately skeptical of any organization that shifts the blame to support staff, such as HR. Human Resources has zero power in a corporation. They are essentially administrators, and they don't get to make decisions - managers do and corporate does.

So even if you fire every single member of an HR team, if nothing about the corporation changes all that has been done is scapegoating a serious problem and punishing people who had zero power to begin with.

edit: Reading more into this; it's clear that because some of the most damning quotes come from HR employees that they are not the source of the problem. It sounds to me like they clearly want change and have zero power to do so. If Ubisoft could place the blame on their kitchen staff I'm sure they would. Expendable employees always eat dirt for the shit-heels at the top.
HR have the power to silence employees, and they did it at Ubisoft.
Does that mean than everyone in HR at Ubisoft did it? No, but the direction of HR decided to bury any complaints and even tried to bully victims by given them bad evaluation. You can't do that if there aren't people at all level accepting to do it.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Yeah.

Everything described here is rape culture 101. All this happened in a context where several top executives, including Guillemot and the head of HR, knew about it and enabled this, as the price of doing business. As long as they're still there, any bottom up approach, with more training and reporting tools, isn't gonna do shit.
Exactly.
I already said since the first article that Guillemot already knew and covered that shit.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So why isn't this being picked up by media outside of France? No guts? Not as important to report on? I guess FC6 leaks gives them more clicks.

Same reason consoles being produced by slave labor wasn't reported wide-scale.

"Game Journalism" is entirely dependent on the Patronage of the Publishers and 1st Parties. They say anything too inconvenient to the big companies and suddenly their Press Credentials and Review Copies go poof.

Games will never truly be Art until games media can have proper sovereignty from game publishers like Movie-press has from film studios/distributors. Whenever a film Reviewer is conspicuously not invited to a film screening, it's an outrage - Whenever a game reviewer gets cut off, it's just Business as Usual.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
HR have the power to silence employees, and they did it at Ubisoft.
Does that mean than everyone in HR at Ubisoft did it? No, but the direction of HR decided to bury any complaints and even tried to bully victims by given them bad evaluation. You can't do that if there aren't people at all level willing to do it.

I agree but the idea that HR somehow mandated themselves into this toxicity is just not realistic. Why would they use the "power" they have to silence employees if there was no explicit instruction to do it? A person would have to be a total psychopath.

Again, HR are support staff. They have zero power. I'm all for selectively cleaning house within HR when these kinds of things happen, but there's obviously a much deeper problem at Ubisoft that needs to be addressed.

taro

Oct 25, 2017
A complete ousting of enablers in executive positions, including Yves, needs to happen along with the perpetrators. The updates from the last thread were already disgusting to read - victims feeling the workplace became worse for them due to the allegations. It just does not feel like Ubisoft is capable of doing the right thing without significant changes from the top down.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone at the top should be fired (who is proven to be complicit). Bring in new management. The company should also be heavily fined and Yves, Hascoet among others should be in jail.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Serge is fucking monstrous, one of the most vile people I've ever heard of. He, Yves and Tommy François should be ousted at the very LEAST.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
It's sickening to read that HR and higher ups let such a culture exist. Ubi needs to fire everyone who is proven guilty

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
UbisoftParis_Affichage_006Hascoet.png

Also confirming that Ubisoft's goal is to sack a bunch of people to look good on the surface, and hoping people outside will stop talking about it within a week.

(and it works...)
Serge is Yves Guillemot's BFF and 2nd in command, btw.

Translation [Content Warning: gross sexual harassment, homophobic slurs]:

Serge, surrounded by his VPs, told woman she "wasn't getting properly fucked" and impeded on his creativity. He said "her mind needs to be expanded by having her ass pounded over and over by big dicks until she gets it".

He forces creative directors to drink until they get sick. He asks the waitress to bring in all the booze in the restaurant (paid by the business of course) and howls, "You're a fa***t if you don't drink!"

In a work meeting, he seats people by alternating men and women, before whispering into the ears of various team leaders: "Ooh, there's sexual tension here. We'll need to do something about it before the end of the meeting."

Note: this man is still not fired, and likely never will be. His face is proudly shown on the Ubisoft leadership website.

The Guillemot family is majority shareholder of Ubisoft by a fair margin so Yves will never go. Plus half the board of directors are Guillemot brothers. Getting a voting bloc together to oust him is next to impossible - not with the current financial performance of the company.

Others in the management team can - and should - get fired though.
What a joke. It's a goddamn Lannister dynasty in there.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Serge, surrounded by his VPs, told woman she "wasn't getting properly fucked" and impeded on his creativity. He said "her mind needs to be expanded by having her ass pounded over and over by big dicks until she gets it".

He forces creative directors to drink until they get sick. He asks the waitress to bring in all the booze in the restaurant (paid by the business of course) and howls, "You're a fa***t if you don't drink!"

In a work meeting, he seats people by alternating men and women, before whispering into the ears of various team leaders: "Ooh, there's sexual tension here. We'll need to do something about it before the end of the meeting."

Note: this man is still not fired, and likely never will be. His face is proudly shown on the Ubisoft leadership website.

*blinks*

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Doesn't Ubisoft fund a lot of gaming websites through advertising? I assume that has something to do with it. It's hard to bite the hand that feeds you.

miss me with this stuff. I posted the news on three big gaming sites in the netherlands today and I dont care what marketing campaigns are rolling right now. News is news.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Glad Eurogamer is covering it. Hope other majot outlets and gaming journalists like jason schreier cover it too. This can't just make noise in France, needs to be global.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I tried asking Easy Allies. They didn't cover Blizzcon 2019 but they'll cover this, unless they change their minds at the last moment.

What they should do is during the conference is cover all the allegations and stuff instead of the reveals......throw a spin in it. Everyone looking for their personalities looking for reveals but instead keeps coming up on all the gross and disgusting work culture that exists

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018

Wtf
I thought this kind of things only happened here in the third world where most people get little to no education.
This is sickening.

gillian03

Oct 28, 2017
This is sad. And it also makes me angry. How many individuals need to suffer, and have their whole identity and reality shaken - over sick and twisted people?

I want to see more news outlets covering this.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I find it very disturbing that I just heard about this today. I follow too many game websites/podcasts/youtube channels to not have heard about this until now.

I had always thought that of the big companies Ubisoft was one of the better ones (ethically speaking). It is surprising to find out how far off base I was. Fuck Ubisoft. Also, fuck the majority of game journalists completely burying this story. What a mess...

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
For those who want to get this out there I know a lot of the EasyAllies guys are responsive to these concerns if brought up to their individual twitter accounts. Just saying if you want them to be informed. Though I'm pretty sure they might have caught wind about this anyway. Same with whatever outlet or content creator you watch or support. Max dood, Cohcarnage etc. etc.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Glad i did not commit there 20 years ago.

I bet the move earlier this year of having Hascoet stop being in direct relation with the creative groups and rather have only key people under him whom in turn lead the creative teams was at least in part because his behavior was getting more and more out of control.

The guy belongs in jail.
I don't want to imagine the number of suicidal thoughts he inspired.
I understand "la faire tourner jusqu'à ce qu'elle comprenne" as
"group rape her until she understands" in french ("une tournante" is a group rape).

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Glad Eurogamer is covering it. Hope other majot outlets and gaming journalists like jason schreier cover it too. This can't just make noise in France, needs to be global.
Very impressed by the extent of Liberation's reporting (as sad as the story is). I've also talked to more than 30 current and former Ubisoft employees over the past few weeks. It's basically the only thing I've been working on. I'll have a story up in the near future.