• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
the lack of replies to the ubisoft situation (on this forum) and the lack of reports/discussion on gaming sites/podcast is just embarrassing.
guess asscreed leaks and the ubisoft thing on sunday are more important...

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Utterly wild that the previous thread had only two pages and this one about one of the biggest scandals at one of the biggest game companies is only crawling along too.
In any case, that HR wall to protect upper management is utter fuckery.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
IGN decided this was the time to act as a PR mouthpiece to Ubisoft with their AssCreed article instead of making reporting this a priority. Says all there is to say about game journalism ("journalism").

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
www.ubisoft.com

About Us | Ubisoft

Ubisoft enriches players' lives by creating memorable and meaningful gaming experiences. Learn more about Ubisoft here.

The dude who said in a meeting that a female employee was hindering his creativity because she wasn't properly fucked at home and needed to have her ass pounded and have a train run on her until she understood, this fucking dude, is right there as a face of the company.

Again, I don't even know that they should benefit from free marketing on Era with "yaaas Farcry with that actor" and "OMG Assassins Creed" threads.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The fact that no other major outlet picked this news and made articles is really shitty.

When the BF2 fiasco happened, EVERYONE in the industry and whatnot was rightfully criticizing EA but with Ubisoft doing worse? No one, only local french press.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that no other major outlet picked this news and made articles is really shitty.

When the BF2 fiasco happened, EVERYONE in the industry and whatnot was rightfully criticizing EA but with Ubisoft doing worse? No one, only local french press.
its so transparent. also most gaming podcasts just swep it under the rug (man the ubisioft thing is pretty bad, right guys? anyway, lets move on to some videogames!!!).

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they didn't cancel their conference says it all really. I would argue that they should all be prosecuted.

Last edited:

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Thanks for giving this more visibility. I'm seriously aghast at the rottenness of this company. Heads need to roll from the very top on down to stamp out this toxic culture they've done fuck all to address.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
glad they're talking about Serge. I was lucky enough not to have had to work with him directly, but I have met him and witnessed him in action. bad vibessss

my hope is that investors pressure Yves to make him step down. I see micro changes - at least in certain studios - but until they axe him + all his cronies I remain very skeptical.

but yeah even in this forum the response has been lukewarm/disinterested. I've seen more hullabaloo about ND and crunch culture than this.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Been following this thread since this morning, and I have discussed this with some friends, but I'll give the thread a bump for visibility as well. It vexes me that these real issues are blatantly ignored, but I guess most who follow this type of news are tired of hearing about sexual harassment, which is disconcerting in itself.

There isn't much discussion to be had around the matter either. You won't get many advocates on this topic, thank goodness. Sometimes I can't help but anticipate the worst hot takes.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Every fucking outlet that's worth a shit needs to run this story and not let go until tangible change has been made in the company ; and I mean change that female employees can report, not something out of a press release.

OP
OP
Nightengale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I know that it's far, far more important to be putting the perspective on victims than being critical about why it's not being reported - but it's really hard to shake off the fact that two major sexual scandals in the gaming community that only just happened in recent weeks back-to-back (Ubisoft and Smash Bros fighting scene) has been largely ignored by what you'd consider to be the conventional games media.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way this isn't going to blow up, this is the worst I've ever read from a big publisher, the fact that it has been happening for so long is fucking wild. What a disgrace of a company and outside they pretend like they are pro women and pro minorities.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
The head of HR is reported saying: "Yves [Guillemot] is ok with a toxic management as long as these managers' results exceeds their toxicity level." "[Ubisoft] gives a 2nd chance, or a 3rd chance, or more if necessary to its key employees, the ones that proved themselves."
And that's what a lot of this comes down to, we deem you too talented to care. Awful.

Going to echo those saying Guillemot should step down immediately, I have zero hope for the sweeping changes necessary coming while he's in charge.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I have to ask, what the hell is the point of HR if they only exist to protect the company? If there is no HR, the employees can't complain, no?

Deleted member 73558

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jul 2, 2020
Again, I don't even know that they should benefit from free marketing on Era with "yaaas Farcry with that actor" and "OMG Assassins Creed" threads.
Indeed. I know this is a gaming forum but this is utterly relevant. How many great games did we miss and will keep on missing because women's ideas were ignored or ridiculed. We, as gamers, are shooting ourselves in the foot if we keep ignoring this.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I know that it's far, far more important to be putting the perspective on victims than being critical about why it's not being reported - but it's really hard to shake off the fact that two major sexual scandals in the gaming community that only just happened in recent weeks back-to-back (Ubisoft and Smash Bros fighting scene) has been largely ignored by what you'd consider to be the conventional games media.
Aren't most video games news outlets tantamount to extensions of gaming company PR, even to this day. It's a nice mutual circle jerk of getting invited or even paid to come along to some nice place in another country to play some games and report largely favourably upon them, then get nice big full page ads on the site from said companies near release..

Many of these outlets don't want to upset the apple cart I'm guessing. Their commitment to hard hitting journalism just isn't really a thing for 90% of them. It's all about the money.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Not breaking news, but the union Solidaires Informatiques within Ubisoft Paris is asking for the resignation of Hascoët but also the 'Chief Talent & Communications Officer at Ubisoft' Cécile Cornet:

Hascoët, Cornet

Démissions !

UbisoftParis_Affichage_006Hascoet.png

UbisoftParis_Affichage_006Cornet.png

Also confirming that Ubisoft's goal is to sack a bunch of people to look good on the surface, and hoping people outside will stop talking about it within a week.

(and it works...)

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I have to ask, what the hell is the point of HR if they only exist to protect the company? If there is no HR, the employees can't complain, no?
I think you kinda nailed it. It's about controlling complaints before they leave 'the company' (not just for Ubisoft, but in general).

HR serves the business first, and individuals second. It is about placating employees, not protecting them.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The fact that the only article really talking about this is a paid one is quite bad too... this need to be shared to everyone, not just people paying for that one journal

also, fuck everyone at ubisoft involved with this shit

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm definitely sitting out the event tomorrow in respect for the victims. What if we got the mods/admin to not have threads to discuss it tomorrow?

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
The fact that the only article really talking about this is a paid one is quite bad too... this need to be shared to everyone, not just people paying for that one journal

also, fuck everyone at ubisoft involved with this shit

Paying customers get the article 24 hours before the print goes out. This is available nationwide everywhere today.

I don't know if the lack of reactions is due to this being a french outlet, but it sucks

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Not surprised most of the outlets here or even journalists here haven't wrote or commented this. Gotta stay hyped for Far Cry 6 and get all those reaction clicks!... Fucking disgusting.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm definitely sitting out the event tomorrow in respect for the victims. What if we got the mods/admin to not have threads to discuss it tomorrow?
I would support that. I honestly think if Era wants to be considered the progressive forum, especially since we have the hatred and rep as that outside the forum we should start actually putting our money where our mouth is and living up to it.

OP
OP
Nightengale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
More then 100 cases! That's insane, shut'em down.

Unless I'm reading it wrongly, these are 100 historical & recent cases that were raised in just one week of the internal system within Ubisoft asking employees to share their complaints with this.

In other words, these are cases that are raised from existing Ubisoft employees, and is recent enough that employees still remember the matter/and the perpetrators are still there (maybe).

I would wager that the number more than easily double or triple if we think of employees who has resigned/left Ubisoft because they couldn't stand the sexual harassment or those who still don't dare to report, even anonymously.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I am glad they brought in an external investigation group. It will be interesting to see what happens. If the allegations prove true, and Hascoet isn't removed at the end of the investigation, I guess I'm done with Ubisoft games.
Yep that's what I was calling for on day one. Gotta have an independent team look into this. EVO needs to do the same.

Turn all the lights on.

jschreier anything cooking for you on this front? Patiently awaiting that Pulitzer-grade expose from you.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I would support that. I honestly think if Era wants to be considered the progressive forum, especially since we have the hatred and rep as that outside the forum we should start actually putting our money where our mouth is and living up to it.
I've contacted a couple of mods/admin, maybe if others do the same?

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
All those abusers and all the top management at Ubisoft that knew should never work in the industry again. Can the victims bring something like a class-action lawsuit since this was so rampant at Ubisoft?