• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate his honesty. Has he ever had any other racist instances that we know of?

Racists generally don't apologetically admit to past instances of being racist and wrong, they typically rationalize it and hide it. Kind of confused by the anger going his way, honestly.

You're confused by people getting mad about an attempted lynching?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
And none of that shows me he's not racist, tho his opinion on metoo show me got a bit of a sexism problem
You asked about what good things he had done, and I posted what I knew about the guy. If you're asking me to go proove whether Liam Neeson is not a racist by your standards, I don't know why I would want to do that. I mean I think people are allowed to be angry about what was said, and I don't have any particular desire to defend someone I don't know.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was just going to kill a random black man huh. That's not 'revenge' that's a fucking hate crime.

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
Walking around hoping to get in a fight isn't quite an attempted lynching.

He.

Wanted.

To find.

Any black person.

And kill them.

If you're going to play down what he said in his own words, just leave the fucking thread. What Neeson was planning on doing is what happened to hundreds (thousands) of black people not even sixty years ago. It is lynching. It is not "getting into a fight." He was going to kill the first black man that had an attitude or started an altercation, just so he could have license to murder them. Just so he could claim self-defense or heat-of-the-moment.

He contemplated and tried to do exactly this for a week and a half.

FOH.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate his honesty. Has he ever had any other racist instances that we know of?

Racists generally don't apologetically admit to past instances of being racist and wrong, they typically rationalize it and hide it. Kind of confused by the anger going his way, honestly.
And let me try this another way, since this has come up multiple times in this thread, and you're not the first person to say something like this:

He's admitting to something completely irrational here: a completely racist act. There's nothing rational about racism like that.

But yet, despite that, this keeps coming up. Despite admitting to being irrational, people for some reason expect rationality from him anyway, and seem confused by the possibility that someone who just admitted to something completely irrational and insane would *GASP* keep being irrational and insane?

Like, the guy just admitted to wanting to kill somebody, anybody, just because they had the same skin color as a rapist. Why y'all suddenly expecting him to be rational after that and for him to actually make sense at all? Why, after admitting something like that of all things, is the mere POSSIBILITY, so much as the possibility that he would keep doing irrational tings apparently what's so crazy here?

Here's another possibility:
He wanted to do something completely racist and the only reason nothing happened is because thank god nobody happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time when those thoughts were going through his head. Skip to now. He admits this story because he thinks that shows how far he's come and how he's matured on the subject of revenge, not even thinking about the racial component to it. Not even a bit; just about the revenge, and how it taught him that revenge was bad because the racial component is that embedded that it's just not something he's ever thought about and thus also not something he thought about when he admitted to this.

That crazy? Yeah, just like thinkin' about killing somebody just because they share the same skin color as a rapist, nevermind if they actually are the right person or not? Something like that.

Why you suddenly expecting rationality, after a completely insane admittance like that? I don't get it.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
He.

Wanted.

To find.

Any black person.

And kill them.

If you're going to play down what he said in his own words, just leave the fucking thread. What Neeson was planning on doing is what happened to hundreds (thousands) of black people not even sixty years ago. It is lynching. It is not "getting into a fight." He was going to kill the first black man that had an attitude or started an altercation, just so he could have license to murder them. Just so he could have an alibi of self-defense.

If he wanted to find a black person to kill, he would've started something with one. He walked around stewing and thinking he had some power to do something, he didn't. He walked around living out some embarrassing power fantasy 40 odd years ago.

Deleted member 29939

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
He wanted to kill any black person over it. Walking up and down streets with a cudgel and hoping to beat down anyone in retroactive defense of someone, to make a point. At that point it wasn't about helping anyone but himself by expression his emotions through violence. That is, in fact, an example of toxic masculinity.

No, no. The poster I quoted was generalising and already accusing "males" here of toxic masculinity just for saying "I wouldn't know what i would do if someone....."

Let's not mix things here. I said wanting to get back to those who took from you isnt a male thing. Wanting to smash in the face of my son's killer isnt exclusively a father's emotion. Wanting to blast a hole in the face of my sisters rapist isnt a bro thing.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Also black history month is off to an amazingly shit start
This month gonna be crazy. I dont know why all the fuckery just has to drop in Feb. I want to believe its not intentional, but damn

I wouldnt go that far. Im glad he said it. Only thing worse would be not owning up to the shit and keeping it close to the chest. Im okay with people growing and becoming a better person. Its just annoying sometimes seeing some people get all the praise in the world for climbing out of being a piece of shit, meanwhile on the other end people assume the worse for others and wont give a poc working towards bettering themselves any consideration at all. Im glad he said it, and I truly hope hes a better man today, but dont go pinning a fucking medal on him, fuck that shit. Makes me sick.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Suddenly Liam killing and torturing a bunch of ethnic thugs in the Taken trilogy became even more problematic than it already was.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You how WomenEra gets uncomfortable when guys here say that they could easily been an incel?

Downplaying some guy who wanted to kill any random black person if they so much as look as them funny makes BlackEra uncomfortable.

So like.... fucking don't. Is it really that hard?

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
No, no. The poster I quoted was generalising and already accusing "males" here of toxic masculinity just for saying "I wouldn't know what i would do if someone....."

Let's not mix things here. I said wanting to get back to those who took from you isnt a male thing. Wanting to smash in the face of my son's killer isnt exclusively a father's emotion. Wanting to blast a hole in the face of my sisters rapist isnt a bro thing.

Walking around the streets with a bat to kill a random person in revenge because you feel you have good chances of taking down a predetermined threat kinda is though.

If he wanted to find a black person to kill, he would've started something with one. He walked around stewing and thinking he had some power to do something, he didn't. He walked around living out some embarrassing power fantasy 40 odd years ago.

"I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody – I'm ashamed to say that – and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some [Neeson gestures air quotes with his fingers] 'black bastard' would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could," another pause, "kill him."

Ah yes. The good ol' "oh, he wasn't serious" handwave. That one's a classic.

You know, unless Neeson had nearly gotten into a scrap with a Black person and backed down on his thoughts, there is absolutely no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. The only thing we know is that he didn't stew for a day and then cool off. He was walking the streets for a week hoping something would pop off. That isn't an "embarrassing power fantasy."

Just stop.

Last edited:

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

This is straight up fanfic.

Here's the real story:

"But my immediate reaction was ... did she know who it was? No. What colour were they? She said it was a black person. I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody. I'm ashamed to say that, and I did it for maybe a week – hoping some black bastard would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him."

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be hard to know how anyone would feel if someone we were close to told us they were raped. That's some heavy shit that would inspire irrationally in myself.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Damn dude, Liam Neeson used to be fucked up. I'm glad he learned not to be a violent shitbag.

Don't really know if his racist stance has changed or not. I can't imagine he went from "I'm on a roaring rampage of revenge, fuck any black guy who looks at me funny" to "revenge is bad, but still, fuck black people," but some people are really set in their ways.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I wouldnt go that far. Im glad he said it. Only thing worse would be not owning up to the shit and keeping it close to the chest. Im okay with people growing and becoming a better person. Its just annoying sometimes seeing some people get all the praise in the world for climbing out of being a piece of shit, meanwhile on the other end people assume the worse for others and wont give a poc working towards bettering themselves any consideration at all. Im glad he said it, and I truly hope hes a better man today, but dont go pinning a fucking medal on him, fuck that shit. Makes me sick.
If there was anything positive to take from this incident I would agree but there really isn't and I feel a lot worse about a lot of my fellow Era members after seeing their responses. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Oct 25, 2017
You asked about what good things he had done, and I posted what I knew about the guy. If you're asking me to go proove whether Liam Neeson is not a racist by your standards, I don't know why I would want to do that. I mean I think people are allowed to be angry about what was said, and I don't have any particular desire to defend someone I don't know.
And what relevance does this serve in a thread about him admitting to looking for random black people to kill

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If there was anything positive to take from this incident I would agree but there really isn't and I feel a lot worse about a lot of my fellow Era members after seeing their responses. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

My day was actively made worse reading this thread so I agree. Sometimes it's better to just not know. I always shit on gaming side for social issues but I like need to also avoid OT too.

Oct 26, 2017
Lot to unpack here.

Then why is one of the first things he asks is "What color were they?"
Because that's one of the most identifiable features most people can pinpoint on a stranger, obviously used in conjunction with other features. "Colorblind" is not a real thing, nor is it useful in finding people.

This is a recounted story from 50 years ago. Why did he highlight that in the story? Goes along with why tell the story at all? Think this gives us better info on what kind of person he is today. Not that I have an answer there.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
1. Glad he said it and talked about because holy shit thats fucked up. But it opens up the fact that every person has some sort if thing they are dealing with.

2. This was probably not the right place to even tell that story. What the hell was he thinking?

3. He now needs to show how he has changed. Dont talk about it, show us the actions that prove it.

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who grew up in Northern Ireland. I can understand how his narrow mindedness came to this awful knee jerk reaction. I'm not sure how many people were brought up in this country, but sectarianism and racism were very much endorsed and bred into children from a very very young age (and still is). Kids were brought up with families murdered by white men from another Christian religion, blown up in bombs and raised in homes that had their relatives become terrorists or as they would put it, freedom fighters. Black people specifically in Northern Ireland during these times where a vast minority. I went most of my childhood in my county not seeing a black person until my mid to late teens. No one was "woke" and most people still aren't. We were bred to hate and fight, cast outsiders out. If a Catholic or a Protestant hurt someone you know, you go out and find the opposite of your religious claim and damage them, innocent or not.

It was a disgusting horrible time and one that we have moved away from with the Peace Process. A lot more races have moved to, and are now flourishing in Northern Ireland. A lot of racism has diminished but is defiantly not gone, hate crime still happens and is condemned by local media and the PSNI. We are a messy country politically and wane behind more progressive countries because we are governed (or more accurately, not governed at all for the last few years) by an old guard who refuse to grow with the times.

Was Liam neeson acting a compete racist moronic prick? Yes, of course he was, he knows that. It was disgusting behaviour and I'm glad he never acted on it. I don't believe he should be a condemed man for sharing a dark moment of his life. And maybe he shouldn't have admitted it, some things are best discussed with people close to him, not the vitriolic public.

Last edited:

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
My reaction to this revelation is the same as my reaction to the revelation of Mark Wahlberg's racist past. FUCK HIM!

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Lot to unpack here.

Because that's one of the most identifiable features most people can pinpoint on a stranger, obviously used in conjunction with other features. "Colorblind" is not a real thing, nor is it useful in finding people.

This is a recounted story from 50 years ago. Why did he highlight that in the story? Goes along with why tell the story at all? Think this gives us better info on what kind of person he is today. Not that I have an answer there.

I agree wholeheartedly. As for race as an identifiable feature, this was Northern Ireland, which was 99% white back in the 70s. It is very suspect that his mind went immediately towards race when he should've been, you know, asking about the victim's wellbeing.

May 26, 2018
As someone who grew up in Northern Ireland. I can understand how his narrow mindedness came to this awful knee jerk reaction. I'm not sure how many people were brought up in this country, but sectarianism and racism were very much endorsed and bred into children from a very very young age (and still is). Kids were brought up with families murdered by white men from another Christian religion, blown up in bombs and raised in homes that had their relatives become terrorists or as they would put it, freedom fighters. Black people specifically in Northern Ireland during these times where a vast minority. I went most of my childhood in my county not seeing a black person until my mid to late teens. No one was "woke" and most people still aren't. We were bred to hate and fight, cast outsiders out. If a Catholic or a Protestant hurt someone you know, you go out and find the opposite of your religious claim and damage them, innocent or not.

It was a disgusting horrible time and one that we have moved away from with the Peace Process. A lot more races have moved to, and are now flourishing in Northern Ireland. A lot of racism has diminished but is defiantly not gone, hate crime still happens and is condemned by local media and the PSNI. We are a messy country politically and wane behind more progressive countries because we are governed (or more accurately, not governed at all for the last few years) by an old guard who refuse to grow with the times.

Interesting perspective. Thanks.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Lot to unpack here.

Unless we're misunderstanding the context of where this took place it happened in NI, which is 99% white. Why would that have been his first thought as opposed to hair/eye color or some other feature?

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. And stupid. And dangerous, among other awful things.
I wasnt excusing Liam's actions with that post.

I didn't mean to suggest you were, but fair.

It was disgusting behaviour and I'm glad he never acted on it.

He did act on it. His action was to leave the house with a weapon in his hand and "exact revenge" by picking a fight with a random Black person and killing them. That did didn't complete his task doesn't mean that he didn't act. If the only reason a Black person wasn't outright murdered by him is because, luckily, none had a problem with him before he cooled off, what he did isn't actionless.

Unless we're misunderstanding the context of where this took place it happened in NI, which is 99% white. Why would that have been his first thought as opposed to hair/eye color or some other feature?

Exactly. Dude was already gunning for a Black man in an area where he couldn't find one after a week of passively searching. No one seems to care about that. Neeson himself doesn't even seem to care about it.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I kind of figured any white person growing up in Northern Ireland or basically anywhere in the world at that time was racist. Like, you're probably instilled from a young age to other anyone looking different. Most people never leave that mindset but hopefully he has.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I suppose he would have been gunning for anyone that matched an obvious descriptor of the perpetrator. I've been in this position. A girlfriend was randomly attacked by a heavyset white man outside of our apartment 20 years ago. I literally drove around with a bat all night in the area looking for heavyset white men. That was very stupid of me. Which I think is his point?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I suppose he would have been gunning for anyone that matched an obvious descriptor of the perpetrator. I've been in this position. A girlfriend was randomly attacked by a heavyset white man outside of our apartment 20 years ago. I literally drove around with a bat all night in the area looking for heavyset white men. That was very stupid of me. Which I think is his point?
Did you ask "what color was he"?

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what's funny?

All you have to do is to get white people who don't believe in privilege is to say "Alright, so you'd have no problem being black for approximately five years then? You'd be willing to put your money where your mouth is?"

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
Did you ask "what color was he"?

Were you going to just kill the first person that matched the descriptor or press them for further verification first?

Because Neeson assumed he was black, was told he was black, and was going to kill the first black person he could excusably kill.

And his point is that "revenge is over-emotional, stupid, and wrong."

He made no mention of the racism.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WTF. What's your point?

He's ashamed and remorseful because of the way he behaved because he realised back then how wrong it was - but of course don't let that get in the way of a feeding frenzy.

Several people and also you have quoted that post missing the point. His revenge fantasy loses sympathy points because he's not even the one assaulted. It'd be one thing to have a binge out for the person who specifically did it, but hoping to run into some random dude who might've bumped into him wrong? He doesn't even get the sympathy of being the victim here, is my point.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

That was absolutely not his point. There was a racial component here.

Ashane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
User Banned (2 Weeks): Excusing Racism Over a Series of Posts
I must be missing something.

When I read the interview, I see a man admitting to wanting to find who raped a friend. I see him struggle with not being able to find that man and then the knowledge he never will hits him and he does what I think *anyone* would do who is suffering severe trauma.... seek to get revenge on someone looking like the perpetrator.

Someone asked earlier... would he do the same if the person was white? I'd wager a very large sum of money the answer is yes.

I just cant see the racism angle aside from the assailant being black. Liam dosen't want to hurt every black person. He wanted to hurt a specific person. When he could not find that person, his need for revenge went to the next closest target.

Help me out here... how are you jumping immediately to "Hes a racist!" while blissfully ignoring a black man raped his friend?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Point is, he made it 100% clear that his actions were race-motivated, so trying to twist and dillute that distinction that he himself acknowledged just comes off as making excuses, to put it generously.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I must be missing something.

When I read the interview, I see a man admitting to wanting to find who raped a friend. I see him struggle with not being able to find that man and then the knowledge he never will hits him and he does what I think *anyone* would do who is suffering severe trauma.... seek to get revenge on someone looking like the perpetrator.

Someone asked earlier... would he do the same if the person was white? I'd wager a very large sum of money the answer is yes.

I just cant see the racism angle aside from the assailant being black. Liam dosen't want to hurt every black person. He wanted to hurt a specific person. When he could not find that person, his need for revenge went to the next closest target.

Help me out here... how are you jumping immediately to "Hes a racist!" while blissfully ignoring a black man raped his friend?
Why don't you try reading the article.
"I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody – I'm ashamed to say that – and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some [Neeson gestures air quotes with his fingers] 'black bastard' would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know?

blakeseven

Apr 9, 2018

Was the first question you asked her if he was white? Did you look for random "white bastards" to kill?

Hmmmm... not sure this is an issue tbh. Seems like he's a changed individual but I do understand this is the internet and we like to get upset over things.

Jesus fucking christ.

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Rationalizing Racism, History of Severe Infractions
A fat man is a fat bastard, a ginger man is a ginger bastard, a lanky man is a lanky bastard. You can see where I am going with this right?

Edit: "At the time of the 2001 UK Census, of the total population (1,685,267); 255 people described their ethnicity as Black Caribbean, 494 as Black African and 387 as Other Black, meaning that the total Black population was 1,136. These figures do not include individuals who described themselves as being of mixed-race.[9]"

How many black people where in his town 50 years ago? I think his line of questioning was to narrow down the chances of finding the accused.

I can see how people are trying to pin him as a super racist, but come now. I'm sure he is a lot of bad things, maybe he is racist. But this story doesn't ring black hate to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.