• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
When you grow up in a society with virtually no black people, and every authority figure and adult lays upon you that black people are bad, and you have no exposure to them, no internet, no positive stories, that's what happens. Casual indoctrination, and you have little reason to think otherwise. If you maintain such an attitude after no longer being ignorant to your stupidity, that's another thing. Yeah, it's certainly still a massive problem with many active societies, and indeed still parts of Ireland which it really shouldn't be in this day, with the actual ability to easily educate ones self on the world which wasn't available back then.

Plus I think it's quite evident from the article he realises the depth of the racism, which is why he specifically mentions black man.
From a historical perspective racist indoctrination is relevant in maybe explaining why Liam Neeson was the way he was. However it wouldn't excuse his actions and its up to individual black people to decide if they want to forgive him. Without expanding on the story theres little reason to expect forgiveness. Accepting reformed people into society is good but going I almost killed some one for being black watch my movie isnt how you show your reformed.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Lot of mind readers here. Has he actually ever before addressed these racist thoughts he's had, or made a post-interview statement about them. Because it seems a lot of people are saying that he's changed and... where are the receipts? Changed in the sense that he doens't go out hunting the streets for black people every night to murder? I suppose/hope? Change in his beliefs that an entire race can be condemned based on the actions of one person???? Not really seeing evidence of that where you can just spout out this 'people can change' hand wave.

Kappa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad no black bastards crossed his path otherwise his career would've never happened

Thank god he got lucky

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Second point: Well, in general, yes. Unless you plan on victimising every person for life even after they are no longer ignorant and have changed their ways, thereby stoking more flames of anger instead of acknowledging their lack of ignorance and their
Nothing he's done suggests he's done anything to confront and remove the amount of racism you have to be indoctrinated by to try and lynch a black man. That is a lifelong process, and we're only having him gloss over it now.

Besides that, miss me with this slippery slope bullshit.

Me not being impressed with Neeson's candid admittance that he couldn't enact his racist revenge fantasy by sheer luck is going to do anything to him. He's a rich, famous straight white man in a world where those sorts of people are worth more than I ever will be. He'll be fucking fine and you can rest easy in the fact that nothing I'm saying will directly result in damage to his career.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
I think the point he was trying to make is he can recognise the capacity to do something cruel, irrational and hateful based on being stirred emotionally by something extreme (someone he knew being raped).

Its not like he is endorsing his past mindset or saying it was ok. Understanding aspects of behaviour, even if they are abhorrent, isn't the same as endorsing or justifying it.

The point he was trying to make is that wanting to commit violence/kill people for revenge is wrong and he understands that he shouldn't try to take revenge using violence.

What posters have been pointing out over and over for the past 10 pages is that unlike "regular" revenge stories where you want to go after the person who committed the crime against you/your loved ones, he wanted to take his revenge against an entire social/ethnic group simply because the accused criminal was part of the same group. And in this interview, he shows no indication of understanding how fucked up that is or wanting forgiveness for thinking about a group of people this way.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Liam Neeson does not appreciate the gravity of walking around the streets looking for a random black man to murder.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Everyone talking about "He's changed, he's learned from his actions/thoughts, and already made strides to be a better person." Unfortunately in this political climate, character development only exists in fiction.

I'm pretty sure Liam Neeson is about to be the newest entry on the list.
In this political climate eh? I really hate what the label of politics covers these days honestly.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I really understand why you're putting this effort into relating to Neeson here. I don't see how your own obliviousness to racism equates to Neeson's failure to address his racism. They don't seem to be the same thing at all. If Neeson was like you, and he supposedly grew up in a place without "flagrant racism", then where did this deep rooted racism you acknowledge come from?

I don't believe that one needs to have grown up in a place with "flagrant" racism to understand why racism is a big deal. I also don't believe that a country or town that's racially homogeneous is less likely to have racist views. If anything, they're probably more likely to be racist.

Liam Neeson isn't American though. He's Irish and, yes, racism is a thing in Ireland. I mean, it's a thing in Scotland too as you just said so I still don't really understand how such an extreme account of racism could be dismissed in the thought process unless he just doesn't really care about black people.
I'm not dismissing it. It's horrific but I think in one interview he has focussed on the violence. The racism is clearly there and is shocking but I dont want crucify him in the court of public opinion when he is trying to make a statement saying he had shocking thoughts 40 years ago is him trying to show that his mind isn't in the same place as it was then.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I hear you, but I'm trying to understand what the end goal is. Again, i've got no skin in the game so I'm just looking at this from a completely different perspective. I'm also black.

1. Are you saying, "Because he admitted to intending to kill somebody but didn't", cancel him?
2. Are you saying, "Black people have been killed for intending to kill but didn't, so similar justice should ensue? Therefore: Cancel?"

3. Also, "Just because he wasn't successful doesn't me he didn't do it". Do what? You're right, he did walk around with a weapon in his hand intending to kill black men. He didn't. Again, if he didn't do it because of a lack of opportunity or a fearful conscious, we'll NEVER know. What we do know is that he didn't kill anybody. Not then, not since.

He hasn't acted on it. Hasn't had a "Nigger" the first come out of his mouth. Hasn't low key slipped up saying some Maga shit. Hasn't actually done one damn thing (that we know of) or even had the WHIFF of racism attached to him.

In fact, the only shitty thing he's done is flaunt his white privilege because, real talk, only a white man can come out and admit to some stuff like this, be remorseful, and totally miss the fact that the other deplorable thing about this terrible affair was that he was ready to terminate black men on sight. That was his reaction. He felt powerless and wanted to exert his power over the first black motherf---cker to come with it...like most chump ass dudes do when they react.

So nah, Surefinn, I really don't know why he never followed through. It might've been straight up because there was nobody around to do it to. But someone with that kind of rage, without the ability to take it out on his perceived offender --that person would've slipped up at some point in the last decade. I'd imagine we'd be hearing some crazy stuff from Steve McQueen or the VERY outspoken Viola Davis about some sly shit about Liam, but nope. All is quiet.

I suspect that he didn't because he got some sense in him. And he regrets almost being a monster. And I wish that he would've shown more remorse about wanting to kill innocent black men, but again, that's white male privilege so I'm just thankful that he didn't try to hide this.

So, to you I ask, what's the appropriate action here?
Cancel the dude? Boycott the movies? Twitter campaign? Speak out on the board to make people more aware of....what?
He didn't do kill anybody. Didn't even rattle anyone or shake someone up. He just walked around mad as fuck about his recently raped wife to which he could do NOTHING about.

Yeah, man I'm glad that he didn't kill the first, second, third, or fourth black person he saw. Which is also kind of absurd when you think about it because if we go with the theory that there were so few black men around that he couldn't kill, then the odds are that his wife was raped by the one or two black men running around at the time.

Which sounds batty.

So yeah, more likely? He wisened up.
1. No, I'm saying the characterization of "he only thought but didn't follow through" is absolute bullshit, and many in this thread have reduced it as such, with someone even calling it "mind policing". My point is that he had a racist disposition and acted on it, for a fucking week. He wandered around town with a weapon to try and find a black person to murder. I don't know what he would or would not have done had he found someone, but the point is that he acted in a way that has actually gotten black people killed in the past. Lynchings didn't just take place between the murderer and victim.. but rather the group of racist assholes who actively hunted and contributed to the act.

2. See above.

3. See above.

So "black bastard" is better than using the N word..?

As to your "what's the appropriate action" question.. I'm not black, but since you are a black person and asking for my opinion on this, I would personally say:

I don't think he's earned any forgiveness in the context of his racist disposition that he freely admitted to. There is no evidence that he's remorseful for the racist act of angrily searching for black people to attack and/or kill.

Until he has actually shown that he is remorseful and has made real, verifiable steps showing that he is no longer the person he used to be (not a racist), he hasn't grown shit and gets no forgiveness from me.

And I don't blame people one bit for cancelling/dropping his ass for this on the spot, especially those who I cannot share life experience with (black people).

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Lot of mind readers here. Has he actually ever before addressed these racist thoughts he's had, or made a post-interview statement about them. Because it seems a lot of people are saying that he's changed and... where are the receipts? Changed in the sense that he doens't go out hunting the streets for black people every night to murder? I suppose/hope? Change in his beliefs that an entire race can be condemned based on the actions of one person???? Not really seeing evidence of that where you can just spout out this 'people can change' hand wave.
This. Coming down from "wanting to kill black people" isn't a major stride. He might still be a racist bigot. He might still act in ways that diminish the lives of minorities. After all in this very topic we've seen he doesn't have much empathy for the #metoo movement and has said as such publicly. There's a lot more to racism than just wanting to kill us and Neeson in this interview doesn't show that he's actually internalized that reality. It doesn't show he's actually empathetic to minority races. Someone who thinks innocent black people should die unjustly has a lot more going on in regards to anti-blackness than just bloodlust.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
The point he was trying to make is that wanting to commit violence/kill people for revenge is wrong and he understands that he shouldn't try to take revenge using violence.

What posters have been pointing out over and over for the past 10 pages is that unlike "regular" revenge stories where you want to go after the person who committed the crime against you/your loved ones, he wanted to take his revenge against an entire social/ethnic group simply because the accused criminal was part of the same group. And in this interview, he shows no indication of understanding how fucked up that is or wanting forgiveness for thinking about a group of people this way.

Well the context of the interview sounds like this was brought up on the spur of the moment and not necessarily something planned. I think it is pretty obvious that targeting a random black person for a crime that someone else committed who happened to be black is incredibly fucked up. I think it is presumptuous to assume his current selft doesn't find anything wrong with this, only the violent aspect of his revenge.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It must really suck to be a Hollywood PR guy sometimes.

"Hey Liam, I need you to do an interview about your snow plow comedy. All you have to do is just sit through the interview and not say anything psycho, can you do that? Just make jokes about how much you hate cold weather, definitely don't say anything about the time you walked around with racism spurred murderous intent, okay?"

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really get the outrage directed towards him. To me it is obviously he's admitting something deeply embarrassing and repellent about himself from so long ago, it was before a lot of people here were born. And he's fully acknowledging his reaction and thoughts are appalling. He's using it to talk about how people have ugly, ignorant reactions to things, and that ugliness creates more ugliness.

I think his honesty is striking and his story could be helpful to people who have similar thoughts and impulses.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the context of the interview sounds like this was brought up on the spur of the moment and not necessarily something planned. I think it is pretty obvious that targeting a random black person for a crime that someone else committed who happened to be black is incredibly fucked up. I think it is presumptuous to assume his current selft doesn't find anything wrong with this, only the violent aspect of his revenge.

The fact that it was spontaneous and he STILL felt the need to point out the "black bastard" part just makes it even more fucked up, imo.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It's also presumptuous to assume the opposite because you know racist people do exist. Yet the default response is to defend this guys honour from mean forum posts for what reason exactly?

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody have big plastic bag? Wanna see if i can gather all this excess understanding and empathy for the next ____ while black thread

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
It must really suck to be a Hollywood PR guy sometimes.

"Hey Liam, I need you to do an interview about your snow plow comedy. All you have to do is just sit through the interview and not say anything psycho, can you do that? Just make jokes about how much you hate cold weather, definitely don't say anything about the time you walked around with racism spurred murderous intent, okay?"
As someone who works in PR, albeit a different sector, you have no idea how hard it is for people to get out of their own way. So much of this job is protecting people from themselves.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get the outrage directed towards him. To me it is obviously he's admitting something deeply embarrassing and repellent about himself from so long ago, it was before a lot of people here were born. And he's fully acknowledging his reaction and thoughts are appalling. He's using it to talk about how people have ugly, ignorant reactions to things, and that ugliness creates more ugliness.

I think his honesty is striking and his story could be helpful to people who have similar thoughts and impulses.
This is the point I have been trying to get across just not as eloquently as you. However it's understandably hard to get past the casual racism of the story. I still don't understand why he dropped in the ethnicity of the rapist without then addressing that afterwards.

People are now directing hate at him because the extrapolation from what he thinks are the important parts of the story leaves wanting to lynch a random black man withouy explanation which makes it seem like normal run of the mill behaviour.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's pretty easy. He talked about how revenge is bad. He skirted past how racist his actions were. He doesn't talk about the racist part of it at all though, and how he has or hasn't grown in that particular respect. And considering how terribly racist they were, just leaving that as a huge ??? and focusing purely on the "I learned that revenge is bad" aspect is naturally going to rub some people the wrong way, to put it mildly. And I consider myself among that number. You don't get to just drop that bomb and not address the elephant in the room and pretend it doesn't exist even. And after admitting something of that nature, you can't just get benefit of the doubt when you don't even talk about about it and how you have or haven't grown in that particular respect and just leave it as a huge unknown and have other people fill in the blanks for you.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

You don't get the outrage? You don't get how people could be worked up after he dropped this story in a movie interview? That doesn't sound like something pretty outrageous? Telling people about the time he played executioner for a black community? If Ryan Reynolds talked about how he almost kidnapped a little boy to use as a sex slave but changed his mind, ending with some platitude about "really makes you think about the darkness in every humans' heart" during an interview for Deadpool 3 that'd be pretty fucking outrageous.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the point I have been trying to get across just not as eloquently as you. However it's understandably hard to get past the casual racism of the story. I still don't understand why he dropped in the ethnicity of the rapist without then addressing that afterwards.

People are now directing hate at him because the extrapolation from what he thinks are the important parts of the story leaves wanting to lynch a random black man withouy explanation which makes it seem like normal run of the mill behaviour.
Casual racism?

Nigga is you serious?

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
You don't get the outrage? You don't get how people could be worked up after he dropped this story in a movie interview? That doesn't sound like something pretty outrageous? Telling people about the time he played executioner for a black community? If Ryan Reynolds talked about how he almost kidnapped a little boy to use as a sex slave but changed his mind, ending with some platitude about "really makes you think about the darkness in every humans' heart" during an interview for Deadpool 3 that'd be pretty fucking outrageous.
I mean the 2 things aren't even remotely comparable. You can bet your ass if someone raped my wife I would have some serious aspirations for revenge. The casual racism of the story is the hard bit to handwave away and the interviewer should really have honed in on that.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that it was spontaneous and he STILL felt the need to point out the "black bastard" part just makes it even more fucked up, imo.
Well, he's being confessional. The "black bastards" quotation is basically him admitting he had racist thoughts and was very close to acting on them. I think the fact that he brings it up is showing he is not trying to sugarcoat his state of mind at the time but to indicate how fucked up it was.

It's also presumptuous to assume the opposite because you know racist people do exist. Yet the default response is to defend this guys honour from mean forum posts for what reason exactly?

Do you really think Neason only has a problem with the violence and thinks the racism is ok? Reaaaaaaaaaaally?

I am completely different to Neeson's career by the way. I'm not defending his honour.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

All three of us know – Neeson, Bateman and I – that this is a distressing admission. "I come from a society – I grew up in Northern Ireland in the Troubles – and, you know, I knew a couple of guys that died on hunger strike, and I had acquaintances who were very caught up in the Troubles, and I understand that need for revenge, but it just leads to more revenge, to more killing and more killing, and Northern Ireland's proof of that. All this stuff that's happening in the world, the violence, is proof of that, you know. But that primal need, I understand."

Where in this statement does it indicate to you that Neeson understands that wanting to kill random Black people for the actions of one Black person is wrong? All he talks about here is that revenge and killing is wrong/how it's bad for the world.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the 2 things aren't even remotely comparable. You can bet your ass if someone raped my wife I would have some serious aspirations for revenge. The casual racism of the story is the hard bit to handwave away and the interviewer should really have honed in on that.

There's nothing casual about patrolling the streets looking for a black person to kill

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I hope and I wish for mods to start paying attention and moderate the comments making reference on "how angry ERA always is" , "how we are offended by everything" etc etc. Being seeing these a lot lately and I try not to engage in order to avoid a ban and they always post their shitty comments in threads regarding some sort of bigotry.

On topic: I feel deeply disappointed in Nesson i thought he was an stand up guy. But this shit is just horrible.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Both are fucking crimes committed against innocent people. Liam literally carried a bludgeon and went looking for a black person to cross him to justify beating their head in.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017

Well first of all, that's a ludicrous comparison: Ryan Reynolds saying he wanted to rape a child vs. a trauma bringing racist and violent impulses to the surface - especially since so many of us feel it's important to acknowledge deep seated racial bias and notions in our hearts and minds if we want to get past that shit.

Second, to me it's self-evident his story is confessional - i.e., acknowledging it and he was fucked up. He's sharing a story about when he learned unpleasant things about himself and - fortunately - eventually saw the wrongness of that sort of thinking and impulse.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
1. No, I'm saying the characterization of "he only thought but didn't follow through" is absolute bullshit, and many in this thread have reduced it as such, with someone even calling it "mind policing". My point is that he had a racist disposition and acted on it, for a fucking week. He wandered around town with a weapon to try and find a black person to murder. I don't know what he would or would not have done had he found someone, but the point is that he acted in a way that has actually gotten black people killed in the past. Lynchings didn't just take place between the murderer and victim.. but rather the group of racist assholes who actively hunted and contributed to the act.

2. See above.

3. See above.

So "black bastard" is better than using the N word..?

As to your "what's the appropriate action" question.. I'm not black, but since you are a black person and asking for my opinion on this, I would personally say:

I don't think he's earned any forgiveness in the context of his racist disposition that he freely admitted to. There is no evidence that he's remorseful for the racist act of angrily searching for black people to attack and/or kill.

Until he has actually shown that he is remorseful and has made real, verifiable steps showing that he is no longer the person he used to be (not a racist), he hasn't grown shit and gets no forgiveness from me.

And I don't blame people one bit for cancelling/dropping his ass for this on the spot, especially those who I cannot share life experience with (black people).

Okay, i see the disconnect here.
From your point of view, this dude was wholly and absolutely deplorable walking hatred.
From my point of view, he was a white dude on a Wednesday falling into learned - typical - hatred patterns that people like me had to suffer for.

Thank God he didn't kill anyone.
Amended: Thank God he hasn't continued to exhibit those behaviors over the past decade. Whatever he was dealing with, he seems to be in place such that he can work with black folks, and realizes that going out at night hunting black men is not only dumb, but wrong.

Until he tweets Black Bastards, stalks more black folk, hugs Trump, or kills somebody, I can't condemn him for being a 66 year old white guy from the UK with repressed - and successfully suppressed racist anger back then. I'll enjoy Taken #26 with minimal issues.

The really, REALLY sad thing about this was that with so few black guys around (as regularly stated here), the likelihood that it wasn't even a black guy was pretty damn high. So yeah, I'm really glad that Liam didn't go full Punisher. I'm also glad that he realized that wasn't the way.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Well, he's being confessional. The "black bastards" quotation is basically him admitting he had racist thoughts and was very close to acting on them. I think the fact that he brings it up is showing he is not trying to sugarcoat his state of mind at the time but to indicate how fucked up it was.

Do you really think Neason only has a problem with the violence and thinks the racism is ok? Reaaaaaaaaaaally?

I am completely different to Neeson's career by the way. I'm not defending his honour.
Is the concept that of people bring racist such a shocking concept to you. Do you read the news?

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't really seem all that horrifying. Seems like a person who was hurt and wanted revenge and didn't know how to deal with emotions but eventually did without causing harm to someone.

Yup. It can go either way, and Neeson ended up doing the right thing and not acting on an irrational emotional impulse.

I would hope that people can judge a person on their actions rather than their thoughts. There's all sorts of dark shit that people think about but never do.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Well first of all, that's a ludicrous comparison: Ryan Reynolds saying he wanted to rape a child vs. a trauma bringing racist and violent impulses to the surface - especially since so many of us feel it's important to acknowledge deep seated racial bias and notions in our hearts and minds if we want to get past that shit.

Second, to me it's self-evident his story is confessional - i.e., acknowledging it and he was fucked up. He's sharing a story about when he learned unpleasant things about himself and - fortunately - eventually saw the wrongness of that sort of thinking and impulse.
Again. He doesn't actually acknowledge the racism within the interview. He acknowledges that it was wrong to literally go out looking to commit a crime against an innocent person. He doesn't get to use that trauma to justify his impulse to go after innocent people. Lots of people have trauma and have to deal with it. Lots of people have trauma and don't suddenly decide to take it out on an unrelated entire race of people. People use past trauma to justify rape and pedophilia all the time. "You have to remember, I was traumatized" isn't a catch all.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

No it's perfectly equilvalent concept. We're talking about someone going out and trying to fucking lynch an innocent bystander what on earth are you on about?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

This basically

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Again. He doesn't actually acknowledge the racism within the interview. He acknowledges that it was wrong to literally go out looking to commit a crime against an innocent person. He doesn't get to use that trauma to justify his impulse to go after innocent people. Lots of people have trauma and have to deal with it. Lots of people have trauma and don't suddenly decide to take it out on an unrelated entire race of people.
However he still openly admits he knows his actions were wrong. He has zoned in on the violence as that is what he knows people associate him with and he feels it's important to get the point out that folks shouldn't go full Taken because that's a bad choice. I think the racist elements of his story are incredibly problematic but I also feel that unless he doubles down or more evidence of him being a racist POS surface that he should be given a chance to explain that element of his story. If he continues to ignore it despite what will of course now turn into people focussing on the racial element of his story, his silence will tell me all I need to know about his current mindset.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That trauma went out and made him look for a black person to murder for a week, by the man's own admission.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Again. He doesn't actually acknowledge the racism within the interview. He acknowledges that it was wrong to literally go out looking to commit a crime against an innocent person. He doesn't get to use that trauma to justify his impulse to go after innocent people. Lots of people have trauma and have to deal with it. Lots of people have trauma and don't suddenly decide to take it out on an unrelated entire race of people. People use past trauma to justify rape and pedophilia all the time.

He acknowledges that it was wrong to hold a random person responsible due to sharing the skin color of someone who hurt someone he cared about - again, to me the acknowledgement that it was unfair, misdirected and racist is self-evident. I don't know if there's a point to the story without that understanding. And yes, lots of people suffer trauma or victimization without acting out in outrageous ways - but lots of people do, and that's what he was talking about by sharing his own experience.

And as for Principate's "considering child rape and admitting racist thoughts and violent urges are perfectly equivalent": done replying to you, you're not discussing this in good faith.

Nov 17, 2017
I'm not dismissing it. It's horrific but I think in one interview he has focussed on the violence. The racism is clearly there and is shocking but I dont want crucify him in the court of public opinion when he is trying to make a statement saying he had shocking thoughts 40 years ago is him trying to show that his mind isn't in the same place as it was then.
Again, my point is that there is no version of this conversation about his story where he and anyone else should not be acknowledging the racism. The violence and racism go hand in hand. The violence was motivated by racism. To focus on one and gloss over the other is to say that the racism did not matter.

I don't think he's being crucified in the "court of public opinion." I've made this point before but I don't understand why he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Because he's a celebrity? He came out and said this of his own admission and his actions should be judged at face value. If he wants to come out and clarify how he's changed, what he's done to do so and why his racist views were wrong, that's one thing but he hasn't. Yet people are congratulating his bravery, making leaps in logic to excuse him and giving him the benefit of the doubt without having any real reason to. We're always "waiting for answers" when it comes to racism. Brown people are always the last thing anyone wants to think about.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at work still stuck on Liam Neeson doing the real life version of the

"Nobody:
Liam Neeson: So there I was, wishing a nigga would, right?..."

tweet meme. Giving a fuck when it wasn't his turn to give a fuck.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
He acknowledges that it was wrong to hold a random person responsible due to sharing the skin color of someone who hurt someone he cared about - again, to me the acknowledgement that it was unfair, misdirected and racist is self-evident. I don't know if there's a point to the story without that understanding. And yes, lots of people suffer trauma or victimization without acting out in outrageous ways - but lots of people do, and that's what he was talking about by sharing his own experience.

And as for Principate's "considering child rape and admitting racist thoughts and violent urges are perfectly equivalent": done replying to you, you're not discussing this in good faith.
That's your reading between the lines. He doesn't feel the need to mention any of this. The mere fact there"s not a single word he says you can use to prove this says it all. The key takeaway from that experience isn't whst he said. It isn't even remotely what he said. What he actually feels is worth verbalising is an aside point.

Status
Not open for further replies.