• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Not even one word about how he 'changed' since then, which would be a given while recounting that story if he actually did change at all. Amazing that anyone in the public eye would just tell that story without any mea culpa over how horrifically racist his thoughts and actions were. That shit is so racist, how has he not tripped over his racism in public before?

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
He sounds incredibly ashamed for those thoughts and actions. Like a stain on his past that he can never get rid of.

Revenge can change someone in so many ways. From changing their thoughts to completely warping who they once were.

This...this is definitely not something that should be said in an interview if he hasn't ever talked to a therapist about it.

I agree with you.

It seems like he feels bad for the thoughts he had when he was going through a dark period of his life, this is something he didn't even have to say but I'm hoping it means he's a change man from that period of his life

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Of course not. This is what "cancel" culture loves.

I'd hope any rational sane person would find it abhorrent if they heard about anyone roaming the streets looking for a black person to kill. The fact that he's a huge celebrity just means people are more likely to forgive him.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
But the key thing here is that he didn't. Now whether it was from lack of opportunity, lack of nerve, or a swelling of humanity and good sense, we'll never know. I don't purport to know. My default attitude on people like him is that he thought some kind of way, came into his base instincts out of grief, began to act in a way that I expect of people harboring racism, and didn't follow through. Thank God. I'm sure that he has had PLENTY of opportunities over the years to be a dick to black folk. My point is that, at least so far, nobody has come forward with anything other than he's a swell guy. By 'quiet racist' I mean that in the past decade, if he still has racist thoughts, he hasn't expressed them. Could he have said more? Sure. A person more in touch with his feelings, or who has spent any considerable amount of time thinking about it more than just a pulse of anger, might've reflected on this differently. As I said, he's a 66 year old White man from the UK lost in thought, recalling something very private in a public interview. I don't expect a damn thing anymore.

Now somebody like that piece of crap Mark Walhberg? Or Governor Northam? Wholly different stories...
..what. He absolutely did. He said he literally walked around town looking for black people to kill. That is an admission from the man himself. He followed through by searching for black men to murder, with a weapon in hand. Just because he wasn't successful at finding and killing doesn't mean he didn't attempt to.

That action, as many others have stated, has gotten black people killed, full stop.

People are willfully ignoring what he's saying in order to reduce what transpired as "thinking".

No, this is fucking acting.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Neeson is now placed on the same shelf as repentant KKK members.

Yeah, sure, he didn't attack or kill anyone, but his views were fucked up enough to have wanted to. Just because dude doesn't want to condone is past actions and outlook doesn't mean you're supposed to forgive him; accept them, accept where he is now, and then judge him accordingly.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
And you know for certain he would have killed them if he did?
I'm sure that's a rock solid defense.
Getting right up to the line and then not doing it isn't exactly admirable. It shouldn't have even crossed his mind to go out looking for an innocent person to slaughter for his own self satisfaction in the first place.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
And you know for certain he would have killed them if he did?
Neeson: I went out trying to find a black person to kill but couldn't find one.

Black-ERA: Wow, it's fucked up you actually tried to kill a black person.

You: How do you know that?

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be sure to mail Neeson some cookies for realizing revenge is bad.

(He has shown no realization of the virulent racism one must possess to only be stopped from lynching a black man simply because one wasn't found in a reasonable time frame, but who cares about that?)

When you grow up in a society with virtually no black people, and every authority figure and adult lays upon you that black people are bad, and you have no exposure to them, no internet, no positive stories, that's what happens. Casual indoctrination, and you have little reason to think otherwise. If you maintain such an attitude after no longer being ignorant to your stupidity, that's another thing. Yeah, it's certainly still a massive problem with many active societies, and indeed still parts of Ireland which it really shouldn't be in this day, with the actual ability to easily educate ones self on the world which wasn't available back then.

Plus I think it's quite evident from the article he realises the depth of the racism, which is why he specifically mentions black man.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
The difference in some of the reactions here and on /r/Ireland are interesting to say the least.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
When you grow up in a society with virtually no black people, and every authority figure and adult lays upon you that black people are bad, and you have no exposure to them, no internet, no positive stories, that's what happens. Casual indoctrination, and you have little reason to think otherwise. If you maintain such an attitude after no longer being ignorant to your stupidity, that's another thing.

Plus I think it's quite evident from the article he realises the depth of the racism, which is why he specifically mentions black man.
"Hey, I tried to kill a black person due to being indoctrinated into a centuries' old system of white supremacy and wasn't able to do so because I couldn't find anyone. That was shitty of me.

"We cool, black people?"

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
When you grow up in a society with virtually no black people, and every authority figure and adult lays upon you that black people are bad, and you have no exposure to them, no internet, no positive stories, that's what happens. Casual indoctrination, and you have little reason to think otherwise. If you maintain such an attitude after no longer being ignorant to your stupidity, that's another thing. Yeah, it's certainly still a massive problem with many active societies, and indeed still parts of Ireland which it really shouldn't be in this day, with the actual ability to easily educate ones self on the world which wasn't available back then.

How can you infer that exactly? He didn't mention. Based on what he said you easily infer the exact opposite. How exactly does revenge begets more revenge have anything to do with going out and looking to kill an innocent black person?

Oct 26, 2017
I think I saw this plot in a movie back in the day...

the_birth_of_a_nation_still.jpg

When it's obvious that a poster is racist, but because they're operating in dog whistles/insincere devil's advocacy, it's impossible to call them out on it.
Ah. Thank you.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The thought of Liam Neeson looking for ANY black guy, in the 70's, in Northern Ireland, boggles my mind.

As for the responses in here, I'm not surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised at all.

If you look into the history of Ireland you will find that it was/is one of the worst european countries when it comes to racism.
There has been a sytemic hateful treatment of black people in Ireland for the last 50-60 years.

So I am not that surprised that he might have been poisened by that mindset. What is surprising is that after all these years the thing he seems sorry for is the revenge part, and not the part where he was a racist piece of shit.
This would have been a opportunity for him to condemn his own racist thoughts and the way black people have been treated in Ireland for the past many years, but instead he used it to try to tell some story about not letting your feelings get the best of you.

And I can certainly understand all the black people here who dont want to forgive this mindset. And as for us white people its really not our place to forgive.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like he was young and angry and he moved on from those thoughts since then. He should've went to a priest and confessed there.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I'm sure that's a rock solid defense.
Getting right up to the line and then not doing it isn't exactly admirable. It shouldn't have even crossed his mind to go out looking for an innocent person to slaughter for his own self satisfaction in the first place.

I think that's the point of him revealing this. He realized it was wrong. I'm really not sure what else you want from him, he clearly understands it was a racist impulse led on by anger that overrode logic.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

That's not evident. He only mentions blackness insofar as it was a major element to his story. He doesn't mention anything about having deep seated racism issues. He says nothing about what he's done for the community to rectify literally seeing them as animals worth slaughtering for his own satisfaction.

I think that's the point of him revealing this. He realized it was wrong. I'm really not sure what else you want from him, he clearly understands it was a racist impulse led on by anger that overrode logic.
The point was to tell a random anecdote related to his movie's themes. From the outset, it isn't actually a formal confession and like other posters mentioned, nothing he says actually indicates he's learned anything more than the obvious lesson of don't kill random people. I don't "want" anything from him and he shouldn't be expecting anything. Particularly not blanket forgiveness for trying to hunt innocent black people down for his own twisted reasons.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not evident. He only mentions blackness insofar as it was a major element to his story. He doesn't mention anything about having deep seated racism issues. He says nothing about what he's done for the community to rectify literally seeing them as animals worth slaughtering for his own satisfaction.

A lot of people reading redemption arcs into what he said. White people always get redemption arcs.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, sure, he didn't attack or kill anyone, but his views were fucked up enough to have wanted to. Just because dude doesn't want to condone is past actions and outlook doesn't mean you're supposed to forgive him; accept them, accept where he is now, and then judge him accordingly.

How progressive of you. You must have mistaken this place for a progressive forum or something.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Imagine if a black guy happened to brush up against him during this week long racist rage or looked at him "wrong."

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you grow up in a society with virtually no black people, and every authority figure and adult lays upon you that black people are bad, and you have no exposure to them, no internet, no positive stories, that's what happens. .

What makes you think that every authority figure told him black people are bad? Lots of Irish Catholics felt strong kinship with African Americans in particular due to the parallels in their civil rights struggles.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Holy shit, it's like it just spilled out and couldn't back down so he just kept on going.

Nov 17, 2017
I'm rationalizing it from my own point of view where because racism isn't as flagrantly prevalent where I grow up I can understand why this wasn't the focus of his thought process. I do agree that the way he drops it in as a throwaway comment is problematic and he should address it. I also agree that the first question being "what colour was he" is a bizarre first response even a bizarre thing to remember about the whole thing without there being some deep rooted racism.
I can't say I really understand why you're putting this effort into relating to Neeson here. I don't see how your own obliviousness to racism equates to Neeson's failure to address his racism. They don't seem to be the same thing at all. If Neeson was like you, and he supposedly grew up in a place without "flagrant racism", then where did this deep rooted racism you acknowledge come from?

I don't believe that one needs to have grown up in a place with "flagrant" racism to understand why racism is a big deal. I also don't believe that a country or town that's racially homogeneous is less likely to have racist views. If anything, they're probably more likely to be racist.

There was racism but when I read about America it doesn't seem near as bad. I am from Scotland and I literally never saw someone of African origin until I went to uni at the age of 18. There was racism against people from India and Pakistan but generally sectarianism is a much bigger issue than racism. It's hate, it's just different hate.
Liam Neeson isn't American though. He's Irish and, yes, racism is a thing in Ireland. I mean, it's a thing in Scotland too as you just said so I still don't really understand how such an extreme account of racism could be dismissed in the thought process unless he just doesn't really care about black people.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Hey, I tried to kill a black person due to being indoctrinated into a centuries' old system of white supremacy and wasn't able to do so because I couldn't find anyone. That was shitty of me.

"We cool, black people?"

Two points: assuming he'd go through with it.

Second point: Well, in general, yes. Unless you plan on victimising every person for life even after they are no longer ignorant and have changed their ways, thereby stoking more flames of anger instead of acknowledging their lack of ignorance and their decision to try and tell people it was wrong, and pointing that anger to people who willfully deserve it. Obviously the crux here is there a number people who believe he's sorry for the revenge and not the racism. But on the hypothetical that we say he was expressing remorse for both and you still thought the above, I can't in any conscience agree with that.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
The thing here is that a "revenge story" would've been Neeson going after the rapist.

The fact that he framed a story about him wanting to randomly kill a black person as a "revenge story" tells you all you need to know about his current perception of black people. He didn't want revenge - he wanted to retaliate against an entire race for the actions of one individual.
It really does say something, doesn't it?

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
I think the point he was trying to make is he can recognise the capacity to do something cruel, irrational and hateful based on being stirred emotionally by something extreme (someone he knew being raped).

Its not like he is endorsing his past mindset or saying it was ok. Understanding aspects of behaviour, even if they are abhorrent, isn't the same as endorsing or justifying it.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
..what. He absolutely did. He said he literally walked around town looking for black people to kill. That is an admission from the man himself. He followed through by searching for black men to murder, with a weapon in hand. Just because he wasn't successful doesn't mean he didn't do it.

That action, as many others have stated, has gotten black people killed, full stop.

People are willfully ignoring what he's saying in order to reduce what transpired as "thinking".

No, this is fucking acting.
I hear you, but I'm trying to understand what the end goal is. Again, i've got no skin in the game so I'm just looking at this from a completely different perspective. I'm also black.

1. Are you saying, "Because he admitted to intending to kill somebody but didn't", cancel him?
2. Are you saying, "Black people have been killed for intending to kill but didn't, so similar justice should ensue? Therefore: Cancel?"

3. Also, "Just because he wasn't successful doesn't me he didn't do it". Do what? You're right, he did walk around with a weapon in his hand intending to kill black men. He didn't. Again, if he didn't do it because of a lack of opportunity or a fearful conscious, we'll NEVER know. What we do know is that he didn't kill anybody. Not then, not since.

He hasn't acted on it. Hasn't had a "Nigger" the first come out of his mouth. Hasn't low key slipped up saying some Maga shit. Hasn't actually done one damn thing (that we know of) or even had the WHIFF of racism attached to him.

In fact, the only shitty thing he's done is flaunt his white privilege because, real talk, only a white man can come out and admit to some stuff like this, be remorseful, and totally miss the fact that the other deplorable thing about this terrible affair was that he was ready to terminate black men on sight. That was his reaction. He felt powerless and wanted to exert his power over the first black motherf---cker to come with it...like most chump ass dudes do when they react.

So nah, Surefinn, I really don't know why he never followed through. It might've been straight up because there was nobody around to do it to. But someone with that kind of rage, without the ability to take it out on his perceived offender --that person would've slipped up at some point in the last decade. I'd imagine we'd be hearing some crazy stuff from Steve McQueen or the VERY outspoken Viola Davis about some sly shit about Liam, but nope. All is quiet.

I suspect that he didn't because he got some sense in him. And he regrets almost being a monster. And I wish that he would've shown more remorse about wanting to kill innocent black men, but again, that's white male privilege so I'm just thankful that he didn't try to hide this.

So, to you I ask, what's the appropriate action here?
Cancel the dude? Boycott the movies? Twitter campaign? Speak out on the board to make people more aware of....what?
He didn't do kill anybody. Didn't even rattle anyone or shake someone up. He just walked around mad as fuck about his recently raped wife to which he could do NOTHING about.

Yeah, man I'm glad that he didn't kill the first, second, third, or fourth black person he saw. Which is also kind of absurd when you think about it because if we go with the theory that there were so few black men around that he couldn't kill, then the odds are that his wife was raped by the one or two black men running around at the time.

Which sounds batty.

So yeah, more likely? He wisened up.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Better to learn from it and change as a human.
Luckily he didn't act on his stupidity.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I'd say the same shelf as repentant KKK members who think the worst thing their organization did was burning crosses on lawns because people deserve privacy

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Yeah no that's not some relatable story about knowing someone who has been hurt. If he knew who did it, I can fathom him feeling awful about going out and trying to hurt that person for what they did, and needing to get it off his chest or whatever the fuck this was.

But he's recounting this story about pre-emptively deciding to go out and hunt a black man. acting like it's something anyone would go through when someone they care about is in painy. Like...no. just fuck off with that.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Liam's still got a ways to go, people.

it's good that he realized he shouldn't murder people or go out looking to murder people though. that's legitimately good.

but I expect more.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like he knows he fucked up and moved past it.

I dont see why everyone here is saying fuck Neeson. Are people not allowed to change?
Yeah I don't get it. He shared something deeply fucked up in his life and how he moved past it. I don't hold it against him. Then again I've had a girlfriend be raped by another person before and the rage you feel from that is hard to describe, so maybe I have a warped perspective.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Everyone talking about "He's changed, he's learned from his actions/thoughts, and already made strides to be a better person." Unfortunately in this political climate, character development only exists in fiction.

I'm pretty sure Liam Neeson is about to be the newest entry on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.