• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my main takeaway from reading this thread but it's always apparent in other threads dealing with race. It's going to be hard to make progress on these issues when people don't notice their implicit bias to naturally see good in those that they feel empathy towards while ignoring the feelings of those that they don't feel empathy towards.
this.

so much empathy.

for some people.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More like this though.
Neeson: I remember being a piece of shit 40-50 years a go and having terrible racists thoughts which are a source of shame and regret for me, and that's why I'm trying to air them out unprompted.
Era: Boooo racist piece of shit, you haven't changed one bit.

You see how some of us think that it's just absurd that people here will regularly advocate for literal rapists and murders that are in jail to be given a second chance, but apparently Neeson having thoughts about doing something horrific is irredeemable?

No one has to "forgive" him for his past thoughts, but at least stop trying to paint him as an evil person right now.

Dude I don't have to do that. My man did that for himself, for free.

Look, let me help some folks here understand my opinion and view regarding this article, and now this forum:

Show and quote the part in that article where Liam Neeson says ANYTHING that resembles "I know that I fucked up, and I'm sorry for what I did." Or, "I was in emotional pain, and realize that what I did was out of pocket, and would never do something like that again." Or even something more typical like "I am not racist. I did something racist in the past out of anger that I feel bad for, but that shit is the old me, and not me today."

PROTIP: There's none of that in the article.

But there's folks who've gotten to that conclusion. How did you get there? Where in the article does this dude say that he's done painting all black people with a bad brush. Because all I'm seeing is him saying "vengence begets more vengence." For all you know, he's still living that shit. He still has that little bit of uncertainty and doubt in the back of his mind any time he sees a black man saying "Is THAT guy the one who raped my family? How about that one? That one looks like he could be a real asshole, I wonder if he's the one..."

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beyond the horrible story, it's baffling he'd volunteer that kind of story while promoting a movie, this isn't a goofy embarrassing anecdote. I don't know that it's particularly tasteful to recount that time you were a murderous racist shithead to prove your revenge movies help people so they should give you money.

toxic masculinity that went way father
Freudian slip: Taken edition.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
The way I read it he's saying that his anger was unreasonable / undefendable. That the event was fuel for a culturally supported, racist, irrational anger. It doesn't seem lumped in - it seems like the whole point of what he's saying, to me.

I don't want to try to dissect it too much because again, this seems to be something he just dropped and the reporter was not equipped to probe him further at the time (or even after the fact really), but I just don't see that. He frames his racist desire being fuelled by revenge but only really goes as far as to be regretful of that rage made him go there.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You never came out and explicitly stated your opinion in the kevin hart thread from what I remember, you were too busy arguing with some moron who made generic claims that black people were homophobic.

So I reask the question in a different fashion, do you find it impossible for anyone to learn from their shitty mistakes, grow, and seek redemption? At what point is someone cancelled and irredeemable? This situation is fucked up for sure, and liam's Neeson conflated his own insecurities over his powerlessness and seemed prepared to take out his anger on someone based on the only descriptor of the assailant he knew.

I take offense to the idea that the only people who can excuse his actions as being of the same race/gender as that of the target of these transgressions. No group has the ability to absolve people of shitty behavior. Yes, this is a fucked up situation, and I dont know if Neeson is still a shitty person today. He was 40 years ago.

Going back to the kevin hart comparison. He said shitty stuff years ago, he was then given a chance to explain himself in the current time, and he waffled. He confirmed he has shitty opinions. Can he wake up and realize he fucked up one day and be an advocate for change? Sure, but if his window of influence closes because of the crappy views he has no, he wont have the platform eventually to make that positive change.

The window closes whenever somebody who is in the group harmed decides it closes. It's not a group decision. I said non black people categorically should not accept his growth for racism because they are not the ones affected by this. If a black person wants to forgive him and go see Taken 53, that's their prerogative. We are not a monolith, but nobody should be forgiving racists on our behalf.

I think Kevin Hart is a piece of shit, and I've said as much on this site. If a gay person wants to stop supporting him, that's their choice. I'm not gonna accept his "growth" for them. If trans people don't want to fuck with Cardi, I'm not gonna die on the hill that she's grown from her comments.

Making sense now?

Staff Post: Please do not antagonize or police other members

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Official Staff Communication
This story is an intense recount of extreme racism. Responses are going to be strong and emotions will run high. Please do not antagonize or tone police other members for their reactions.

Last edited:

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Attacking strangers because someone who had the same skin tone as them did something wrong is insanity. You don't just have feelings like that. They are the result of deep seated issues. Some one should ask him, if the victim had told him that her attacker was white, would he have been stalking the streets praying that any random white man would attack him so he could take his revenge. This shit is always directed at minorities.

It is insanity, but he isn't denying it. He mentions 'the Troubles' - him growing up in Ireland at a time where racist sentiment was not only common but open. In his anger and desire for revenge he was close to acting on that racist sentiment.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Attacking strangers because someone who had the same skin tone as them did something wrong is insanity. You don't just have feelings like that. They are the result of deep seated issues. Some one should ask him, if the victim had told him that her attacker was white, would he have been stalking the streets praying that any random white man would attack him so he could take his revenge. This shit is always directed at minorities.

Thank you for posting this. I, myself, was struggling to find a way to put my thoughts on it down; in my head I'm reading this interview and I see is, "I once wanted to randomly kill someone that shared the same race/color as the attacker that caused harm to the victim I know, but then I didn't. The end."

Had this shit come out the mouth of some average white dude's mouth, would we be as forgiving? I'm gonna go ahead and say highly doubtful. All this about he learned and changed, and I'm like, "WHAT!?" -- congratulating him, a white male, for being brave enough to admit he wanted kill another person (of color) and didn't, that's an achievement?! (considering how much of my people are being dusted left and right without cause or punishment, I guess so?)... No, Neeson can rightfully fuck the FUCK off.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
But he didn't act on it, he just had the thoughts. I believe people are free to think anything They want, but when they act on it, that's crossing the line.

He's free to think whatever he wants, but bringing it up in an interview is extremely fucked up.

It's like saying that you were about to commit a terrorist attack on innocent civilians, but you didn't, so you're a good person now.

Choosing not to be violent doesn't make you a good person. It's pretty much the bare minimum.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would have been nice if he had directly acknowledged the racism in his revenge fantasy... like, he acknowledges that violence begets violence but never really gets into the part where wandering around hoping to be attacked by a black guy so that he could kill him is pretty nakedly racist.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It is always creepy to me when folks use stories like this to sell something that has no real weight.

"Let me tell you about the time I was racist, then you will want to see my movie where i kill people in hilarious ways"

Man it seems like folks reach a certain level and can no longer understand context or read the room

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But he didn't act on it, he just had the thoughts. I believe people are free to think anything They want, but when they act on it, that's crossing the line.
a week plus of walking the streets with a weapon is just thoughts lol

he acted on it as much as he could, just didn't get to go all the way because he didn't meet up with someone that fit the profile.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i think that most non-black people wanting for neeson to be redeemable, it's because we all want to be redeemable, we all have some things we regret and we would never do again, anyone who says "i was immaculate and perfect" is lying, should be the enviroment, the upbringing or any number of things, we all have things we regret.

for people to wanting to no be labeled as racists forever for actions or thoughts when they were young, it is a fair sentiment i think.

things we said or did 20 years ago do not make us bad persons today, we all want to believe that.

the ideal thing would be never had this kind of thoughts and actions, but not everybody grow ups in the same, i thing the end goal is break out of that kind of behaviors and attitudes.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Beyond the horrible story, it's baffling he'd volunteer that kind of story while promoting a movie, this isn't a goofy embarrassing anecdote. I don't know that it's particularly tasteful to recount that time you were a murderous racist shithead to prove your revenge movies help people so they should give you money.

Freudian slip: Taken edition.
Dude.

That hurts a fuck ton cause it's true.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More like this though.
Neeson: I remember being a piece of shit 40-50 years a go and having terrible racists thoughts which are a source of shame and regret for me, and that's why I'm trying to air them out unprompted.
Era: Boooo racist piece of shit, you haven't changed one bit.

You see how some of us think that it's just absurd that people here will regularly advocate for literal rapists and murders that are in jail to be given a second chance, but apparently Neeson having thoughts about doing something horrific is irredeemable?

No one has to "forgive" him for his past thoughts, but at least stop trying to paint him as an evil person right now.
He doesn't really say any of the things you said he did, however.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is always creepy to me when folks use stories like this to sell something that has no real weight.

"Let me tell you about the time I was racist, then you will want to see my movie where i kill people in hilarious ways"

Man it seems like folks reach a certain level and can no longer understand context or read the room

He tells an anecdote about how he used to be violently racist and ends the anecdote with "revenge is bad" like... there's some plotlines that got dropped in your story Liam.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the redemption arc? He's gone from wanting to kill a random black guy to not wanting to kill a random black guy? I mean, isn't that the bare minimum to be a half-decent human being? What's there to be commended? Has he rejected his past racist demons and become a minority rights activist or something?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Unlike a lot of other long past incidents exposed with various people, he said how fucked up the mindset was, and didn't make any excuses. That said, I think a follow up interview with a real journalist would be a good idea to talk about it in a context outside of just the "revenge" subject.

Edit: And yeah, being part of a movie promo was a pretty fucked up place to drop that. Wasn't an aspect I was thinking of.

Last edited:

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So what's the redemption arc? He's gone from wanting to kill a random black guy to not wanting to kill a random black guy? I mean, isn't that the bare minimum to be a half-decent human being? What's there to be commended? Has he rejected his past racist demons and become a minority rights activist or something?
I don't think there is a redemption arc, just an acknowledgment and understanding that your thoughts several decades ago were extremely fucking awful, and an attempt to grow and move on from them. The thoughts and desires are inexcusable, and perhaps his regular appearances in revenge films caught up to him and his conscious over it.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
That said, I think a follow up interview with a real journalist would be a good idea to talk about it in a context outside of just the "revenge" subject.

I'm sure he'll be apologizing on Ellen by the end of the week. Then she'll tell both sides to come together... and go see Cold Pursuit, in theatres now.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
He seemed to be as shocked as anyone else that he actually shared that story. Fucked up what his mentality was, but yeah, rage can make you do some fucked up shit. It can bring out the irrational in people.

To do it for a week though... fuck.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude I don't have to do that. My man did that for himself, for free.

Look, let me help some folks here understand my opinion and view regarding this article, and now this forum:

Show and quote the part in that article where Liam Neeson says ANYTHING that resembles "I know that I fucked up, and I'm sorry for what I did." Or, "I was in emotional pain, and realize that what I did was out of pocket, and would never do something like that again." Or even something more typical like "I am not racist. I did something racist in the past out of anger that I feel bad for, but that shit is the old me, and not me today."

PROTIP: There's none of that in the article.

But there's folks who've gotten to that conclusion. How did you get there? Where in the article does this dude say that he's done painting all black people with a bad brush. Because all I'm seeing is him saying "vengence begets more vengence." For all you know, he's still living that shit. He still has that little bit of uncertainty and doubt in the back of his mind any time he sees a black man saying "Is THAT guy the one who raped my family? How about that one? That one looks like he could be a real asshole, I wonder if he's the one..."

I agree that he doesn't disavow his racism directly, which he needs to address. The tone of the ending does seem to imply that he's apologetic though.

"It's awful," Neeson continues, a tremble in his breath. "But I did learn a lesson from it, when I eventually thought, 'What the fuck are you doing,' you know?"

To me it implies that he came to grips and realized what he was doing was wrong. I agree that he could have been more direct but it seems like he just blurted this shit out without really thinking about it, when it suddenly occurs to him that he's talking to a reporter. He disavowed "revenge" but he needs to be much more direct in disavowing racism.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
The point he seems to be making is that he feels ashamed about his past thoughts and feelings, and that revenge isn't the answer.
Dude basically said he used to be Sasuke in a random interview.

I get his point but fuck man. This dude, his coworkers must be as shocked as those there on the scene of this interview. He needs to just admit everything else right now and deal with the consequences. That's just horrible.

Oct 27, 2017
What an awful and shameful thing to admit, the guilt and shame of it must have been immense for him to come out with it in an interview. The trauma of a close family member being raped must have been horrendous, and his actions and feelings were the direction of his anger at the one thing he knew - the rapists' skin colour. Had he been told that the rapist was catholic or protestant would he have wandered around the catholic or protestant neighbourhoods waiting to be attacked and to take vengeance on an innocent person? Probably - its likely he would have discriminated against anyone regardless of what race or group they were from. It sounds like he was a pretty shitty person in those days, but that was the nature of Northern Ireland in those days. At least Neeson sees that he was a shitty and discriminatory person in those days, and seems that he is sorry and shameful about it.

I understand completely the hatred that a lot of the members here have shown in reaction to this story. Keeping on the theme of the Troubles I still read articles on a regular basis about outrage against those who perpetrated crimes and attacks during the Troubles who are now free. I see how it can be difficult to forgive someone for holding those feelings even years ago.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
He's free to think whatever he wants, but bringing it up in an interview is extremely fucked up.

It's like saying that you were about to commit a terrorist attack on innocent civilians, but you didn't, so you're a good person now.

Choosing not to be violent doesn't make you a good person. It's pretty much the bare minimum.
I'm not saying he's a good person for it, and by bringing this up in an interview is "taking action" of some sort, so he can be judged by that. But some people here are acting like he attempted a murder, which didn't happen. He had fucked up thought, we all have those, we just don't tell them randomly to the world

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Well, that's sure one to let slip out. Jesus christ.

I can get to the point of understanding the circumstances but the amount of "yeh but, if" I have to put in surrounding the racist parts is concerning. Sure, asking what colour they were is probably the quick way of narrowing it down, but then to stop there and not go "short/tall" "bald/hair". Like to just stop at the "he was black" part and take off, that's incredibly fucked. To hold onto that broad brush and walk around looking to club to death anyone that fits it? No way to excuse or reduce it, it's as cold as it gets. No different from what made the fathers of old go out to string up some n-words because someone happened to touch his daughter.

Not my place to excuse it and certainly wouldn't expect members of the black community to instantly go all lovey-dovey over someone progressing to the point where they don't want to actively beat them to death with a steel rod.

daboynem

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This thread is absolutely filling up the pages goddamn but its filled with a lot of generalizing era posts. See
Liam: "I really wanted to go around and just hoping a nigger would try something so I could shank him. But that was in the past, I'm better now"

ResetEra: "Such growth, so admirable. Good for him for not wanting to kill niggers anymore"

LOOOL of course not here dude.
People can't change or be filled with shame and regret for their past actions.
That's why everyone here should be against prison reform, to make sure that all those people locked up stay in jail forever, because they'll never change and we don't give second chances.
Also hands down the best posts in the thread so far
That only happens in anime, and you know it.
Can you and a bunch of other posters in this thread not grasp why black members here are startled and not be so quick to say " it's all good, we forgive ya, past is the past".....?

Neeson " yeah I wanted to kill a random black dude 30 years ago"

Black posters "wtf...that's all levels of fucked up..."

Other posters "hey man wth is wrong with you guys, it was in the past, forgive it. I swear people just don't give anyone chances anymore"
I was never a fan of action movie anyways

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Dude basically said he used to be Sasuke in a random interview.

I get his point but fuck man. This dude, his coworkers must be as shocked as those there on the scene of this interview. He needs to just admit everything else right now and deal with the consequences. That's just horrible.
Part of me feels maybe this is his own way of coming out with it because of his own inner guilt and shame.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017

Another thank you, what he said got "hand waved" so quick it made MY head spin.

He did act on it. He was out hunting a random black person for a week.

At this point, I feel like this detail right here is being willfully ignored since folks keep bringing up the "he didn't act on it" bit.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying he's a good person for it, and by bringing this up in an interview is "taking action" of some sort, so he can be judged by that. But some people here are acting like he attempted a murder, which didn't happen. He had fucked up thought, we all have those, we just don't tell them randomly to the world

I mean, he had a fucked up thought that he acted on for a week straight, not a lot of people gear up in hopes they get attacked by a black dude so they can kill a black dude.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Why are you shifting the topic onto the reporter instead of the interviewee?
I'm pretty sure I'm just sharing my own perspective here, just like everyone else. You're free to ignore my post if it isn't focused on the aspects of this story you want to discuss.

Well this is a mindless press junket where people ask banal questions about the movie, right? I assume she was totally unprepared.
The tone of the article is almost congratulatory towards Neeson. The writer might've been unprepared for that twist during the interview, but she had all the time in the world to actually write the article. She could've also tried to reach out for further clarification.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. I think it's actually quite simple.
Desire for revenge is understandable.

Rage is not an excuse for racism. Sorry. Rage amplifies what you feel and believe. If it was a person with blue eyes would he similarly want to attack another blue eyed person?

Really? I feel like I've heard a lot of stories of fathers, brothers, etc., going out "looking" for someone who fits the description of an attacker. It's like a common theme on those crazy Dateline stories.

Anyway I think you misunderstood me, my point was that those emotional states bring out the worst in people, and it's almost guaranteed that he had underlying racist feelings, if not outright at the time, that were brought to the surface. His background makes it pretty likely that the dude grew up with some form of racism in or around his life, so I was saying that it's not surprising that he fell back on that in relation to someone he knew being raped by a black person(which even now is still a big trigger for white people to unleash their inner racist).

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

He walked around for a week hoping to commit a hate crime against innocent black people. There's fucked up thoughts, and then there's deeply entrenched racism/white supremacy/racial violence.

This guy is a lunatic.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I'm just sharing my own perspective here, just like everyone else. You're free to ignore my post if it isn't focused on the aspects of this story you want to discuss.

The tone of the article is almost congratulatory towards Neeson. The writer might've been unprepared for that twist during the interview, but she had all the time in the world to actually write the article. She could've also tried to reach out for further clarification.
In the article they say they tried to reach for Neeson's publicists and they declined to comment. Not sure what else is the article supposed to have, seems like a simple recount of what happened.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE="PogChamp, post: 17567142, member: 16657"
To me it implies that he came to grips and realized what he was doing was wrong. I agree that he could have been more direct but it seems like he just blurted this shit out without really thinking about it, when it suddenly occurs to him that he's talking to a reporter. He disavowed "revenge" but he needs to be much more direct in disavowing racism.[/QUOTE]

To me it reads like he was telling an anecdote to sell a movie he's promoting and realised halfway through telling it how bad it made him look.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
people saying he changed but theres really no comment on the racism in that story.

the point of his story is that "revenge is bad"

i guess everyone just filled in the blanks about him no longer being a virulent racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.