• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...man what?

So here's my thing. That article is garbage. Dude drops this bomb, and then essentially ghosts out. There's no "so this is what I've learned", or "I need to find how to move past this". There's just the act that he brings up from his past, unprovoked. The journalist is realizing in real time that he is getting something that is very raw, and is going to probably going to flame up, but gets no context of why he is being told this, or how does the Neeson who walked around looking for a black guy to provoke so he could potentially kill him, compare to the Neeson of today. Do your damned job, journalist! You going after the publicist after the fact isn't covering the fuck up of you leaving valuable information unsaid.

And while I'd like to forgive, that's some next level shit to just say and then drop the mic. Dude was walking the streets going after ANYONE who was black and male. Had he found a brother who was having a bad day and decided to step up to him, Liam might be in prison, instead of being a successful wealthy actor.
You don't get to say that, leave NO context saying that you've changed and how, and I just have to assume that you're a better person that I should go pay money to watch in the theater. I need receipts, man.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
What bothers me is the "punish the race for the actions of one" mentality he and so many racists have. There are just so many white folk out there looking for ANY excuse to put us down like animals for no reason, and the fact that Neeson is saying he was one of them like it's just another goof you can grow from and not something that is existentially terrifying is so fucked up.
Well I wasn't there so I don't know if he made it out be another goof, if he did then it's kinda sick. But if he is genuinely sorry and appalled by his behaviour, then I don't see why he shouldn't talk about it.

I guess, there is a point that we really shouldn't be giving kudos for people who had racist past, but improved themselves. But I don't really know how to react to this.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Admitting to past bias and reflecting on how misguided, ignorant and dangerous it was shouldn't be frowned on, imo.

Yeah, this place is annoying sometimes. When celebrities did something wrong in their past and people eventually find out about it, if they say sorry, it's "They're only sorry they got caught." If they voluntarily admit to doing something wrong and show a lot of remorse, they're a piece of shit. He could easily have glossed over the racist part of the story, and most people would, but he didn't. That's what somebody does when they're genuinely sorry about what they did and grew from it.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
bruh what? and i thought the 21 savage bit was gon be the weirdest story i'd read all week. but nah, Liam raising the ceiling big time for some reason. why the fuck would you lay all that out? jesus

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (5 days): Hostile and inflammatory drive-by in a sensitive topic, community bashing
Neeson: I did a horrible thing once.

Era: Neeson is the devil, fuck that beyond redemption

Why do I waste my time here? This community is embarassingly pathetic at times

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Except Death note i haven't see other anime so i don't know what you are talking about.
Advice
Try to make real connections with others and you will learn that no one is good or bad and pretty much everyone have done things that are ashamed for, there are no saints in our world.
im pretty sure you didnt get my comment or read the other comments on the topic.
BTW i fully agree with you.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
He's saying 'here's this abhorent mental place I found myself in' - it's not like he's saying it was justified. The point seems to be that he understands being irrationally angry.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And FYI, when people say "Geez! People in era are irrational by not forgiving him!!" we know exactly what kind of group you are refering too. It's not cute.

Oct 26, 2017
it's not stupidity.

why would this be stupid? his peers are out here raping kids and getting standing ovations, at least he didn't actually harm anyone physically... that we know of...
The sad thing is his privilege will probably protect him even if he did harm someone.

There's already multiple examples of celebs that have escaped any repercussions for stuff like that.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...man what?

So here's my thing. That article is garbage. Dude drops this bomb, and then essentially ghosts out. There's no "so this is what I've learned", or "I need to find how to move past this". There's just the act that he brings up from his past, unprovoked. The journalist is realizing in real time that he is getting something that is very raw, and is going to probably going to flame up, but gets no context of why he is being told this, or how does the Neeson who walked around looking for a black guy to provoke so he could potentially kill him, compare to the Neeson of today. Do your damned job, journalist! You going after the publicist after the fact isn't covering the fuck up of you leaving valuable information unsaid.

And while I'd like to forgive, that's some next level shit to just say and then drop the mic. Dude was walking the streets going after ANYONE who was black and male. Had he found a brother who was having a bad day and decided to step up to him, Liam might be in prison, instead of being a successful wealthy actor.
You don't get to say that, leave NO context saying that you've changed and how, and I just have to assume that you're a better person that I should go pay money to watch in the theater. I need receipts, man.
he doesn't have to do any of that because the apology, learned lesson and redemption are all assumed by his peers.

must

BE

NICE!

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Neeson doesnt care that it's bad PR and just wanted to talk about it but I cant help but feel this is something you talk to a therapist about to get closure. Considering he didnt fole through with anything, I dont have any ill will towards him now to be honest but he should seek help

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
...man what?

He...probably wouldn't be in prison though.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And what's crazy is how the black people who aren't okay with this are being gaslighted as unforgiving and unfair because we never let white people redeem themselves for wanting to kill us.

But I need to be polite about it.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And what's crazy is how the black people who aren't okay with this are being gaslighted as unforgiving and unfair because we never let white people redeem themselves for wanting to kill us.

It's fucking embarrassing.

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The offputting part is how his racist impulse to just murder any black person is not really addressed. It's just kinda lumped in with the general hot blooded anger, as if it were reasonable part of the desire for revenge at the time.
Yeah, this bothered me too. Ignoring the racism and just ending on a basic "revenge is bad" is just pretty fucked

Oct 27, 2017

It's def gonna blow up more but because it's another big AAA actor people will defend and attempt to tamper it down

Oct 26, 2017
Genuinely shocking to see so many people defending him here.
I want to shoot myself in the fucking face for thinking this....but both sides haven't been very nuanced. And I hate both siding it, because there really shouldn't be sides here. He admitted to a terrible, racist event spurned on by a close friend being raped. I think we all recognize this, and 0 people have defended his actions. What is being "argued" now is what to make of this event all these years later. Can a person change? Is he still a racist shit? Did he even apologize? Etc etc.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Man, there was a time in my life when I wanted to kill every white kid I came across because a gang of skinheads jumped me and shattered my kneecaps with baseball bats. They topped that off with piss and threatened to do the same to my little sister if I reported them too. I was in a dark place for a good 2-3 months back then while also blind to all the white folks that helped me recover. Anger does that to you.

I'm not excusing Neeson and it doesn't look like he's excusing himself either. Anger and revenge can poison you and that's what he's trying to say imo.

I can understand that.and I understand what Neesons saying. It's just quite a thing to drop out of the blue.

Oct 25, 2017
Even as a black person, I can't say I have any anger toward this, but I get where others are coming from.

Some of y'all are waaay too quick to forgive.

I personally can't get mad because he didn't actually do anything. And I can't speak to how I'd react if someone hurt someone close to me. Not that justifies that racism, but if he acknowledged its there and learned from it, what's the point of me getting mad at it. Why would I spend my Monday getting mad at this? When I can be mad at those actually doing harmful things now.

I do get annoyed at how selective we are with "they've grown and we can forgive them", but I'm not gonna write my own narrative for the guy to justify why I'm not frothing at this.

If anything, this just reminded me why I like the phrase "don't snitch on yourself".

Last edited:

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This statement doesn't mean anything. How does one "end" racism retroactively? I'm fairly sure closeting this doesn't exactly make anything better, but maybe someone else learns a lesson.
he didn't even show that he learned the lesson. all i see is a bunch of jumps to conclusions because he merely talked about it.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I think what he's trying to say is that anger hate and the lust for revenge are toxic and fuck and this is how he grew from his own experience with it. He's trying to be a lesson to people.

Not sure I would say fuck him for that. Yeah what he did was fucking awful and if he'd gone through with it there would be no forgiveness but coming out and explaining a brush he had with toxic masculinity and emphasizing that that shit doesn't fly I think is...I dunno, refreshing?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong or maybe as a woman I've had too many brushes with toxic masculinity that went way father than that to be able to speak on the subject with clear eyes.

I dunno.
This is the sentiment I wanted to express, but was afraid to express it due to the ban handed out in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.