• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
The bar for racism is so high now that a man who tried to kill a black person is considered not racist because he kissed someone in a movie. What an exhausting topic this has been

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No need to go all conspiracy theoriest. More likely that he told the story to sound cool and earnestly doesn't believe he did anything wrong
"It was horrible, horrible, when I think back, that I did that,"

How does that read as him believing that he didn't do anything wrong? I don't expect anyone to just be cool with him dropping an anecdote like that, but it clearly sounds to me like he very much regrets ever doing this.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read everything about Liam's case (just a few bits), so this isn't a defense of Neeson in general. On the subject of coming out about transgressions, racism, stereotyping, etc. in the past, I think we should definitely be encouraging more people to do so because it's a great learning experience for people falling into that line of thinking. It reminds me of Shirley Sherrod in 2010.

Brietbart, and the actual owner, Andrew Brietbart, took her quote out of context to act as if she was trying to ruin a white family's life and was proud of it, but her story was about how she realized it's not about color; it's about the haves and have-nots, and what she did to help them and how she became friends with them. And I remember actually getting angry watching TV (I don't normally) because she's getting into trouble for sharing what should be a great story of overcoming assumptions about another race, to the NAACP no less, and she's getting attacked for being a racist. And I'm thinking, "So is the moral of the story not to share if you overcame misogyny or racial prejudice?"

It's not the same story, so this isn't really to relate to Neeson's specific thing here (he's talking more about revenge and seems to be walking back the racial part). And depending on the context, it's all different. But in general, I wish more people would come out about stuff they thought in the past that was wrong, why it was wrong and what showed them the right path.

Oh Lord I forgot about the Shirley Sherrod saga. Obama bowing down to appease White folks lol. Early Obama let Fox news, Glenn Beck, and Breitbart troll him way too easily. It was lame.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
Needless to say these race fueled murder fantasies should be kept between himself and his therapist.

Bit weird hearing this from Oscar Shindler of all people!

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
reread what i replied to
I know what you replied to and your still saying and ignoring why people are so angry at him, to act as if these people are wrong to believe what he's saying and calling them psychotic because the priority is to cal them out not the guy who tried to lynch someone and refuses to say he was racist.

I mean priorites man. You can complain all you want that people are being mean to him but frankly he's earnt that anger and what comes with it.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
you guys are psychotic

all hes done is reiterate over and over how fucked up and wrong it was
God I'm too worried to say anything on this forum now. I was banned for innocuous comment recently.

To be brief - I believe Neeson did enough service to condemn racism in his behaviour response and even found his honesty somewhat .... refreshing. He explained the social environment he was brought up in and how he has changed since then. He is providing a retrospective lesson for all of us to hear and clearly still dealing with issues to this day no doubt.

It's just that he is so high profile and mainstream I don't think he should be so raw and unfiltered with his comments. Too much to process. Very regrettable for him but I don't hate him like others seem now.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come on, that's pretty absurd. 40 years ago he committed the perfect murder and then wants to confess to it during a press junket?
He didn't confess to any murder. He said a friend got raped and he spent more than 7 days out in public flirting with the idea of killing a Black person with weapon in hand. We ultimately don't know whether or not he harmed anyone, everything he admitted is already "off the deep end" behavior. There's nothing absurd about pondering whether he actually harmed someone in light of these circumstances.
No need to go all conspiracy theoriest. More likely that he told the story to sound cool and earnestly doesn't believe he did anything wrong
Its impossible for there to even be a "conspiracy theory" about this. Conspiracies have more than one actor, this ordeal was all Liam by himself.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I know what you replied to and your still saying and ignoring why people are so angry at him, to act as if these people are wrong to believe what he's saying and calling them psychotic because the priority is to cal them out not the guy who tried to lynch someone and refuses to say he was racist.

I mean priorites man. You can complain all you want that people are being mean to him but frankly he's earnt that anger and what comes with it.

i dont care if people are being mean to him or are angry at him, i care if people are saying things about the situation that are blatantly false

the truth of this moment is already bad enough without people making things up

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
i dont care if people are being mean to him, i care if people are saying things about the situation that are blatantly false

the truth of this moment is bad enough without people making things up
By earnestly doesn't believe he did anything wrong i'm pretty sure they meant that he was being very racist to black people and refuses to admit so. But yes time should be spent calling those people out

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
I think that's the whole problem here and why it makes outrage on the internet almost laughable now. The man was literally admitting an error in his mindset decades ago and how stupid it was to think that way, not that he still has an intent to fulfill his flawed ideologies from the past. I respect that level of honestly because it shows a moment of weakness within his past, but more importantly the balls to come out and say something about yourself and admit that you were wrong.

Why is it easier to condemn people on the internet than it is to understand that we are all flawed beings who've had fucked up thoughts / ideologies at one point in our lives that we've (hopefully) grown from. The fact that he openly admitted that he was wrong and still people became riled up about him admitting his wrongful thought process is so fucking nuts to me because it gives off the mindset that you should never admit any wrong doing whatsoever due to the fear of public backlash.

It's crazy though, people want to talk changing for the better and living in a more unified society, yet they're pretending like they never made a mistake or had a fucked up thought about another person/race of people??? As a black man, i would be lying my ass off if i said i've never had any ill thoughts towards whites after learning about the fucked up history we have in America when i was growing up. Should i lose my job because of something i am fully aware of now how problematic it would be to act in the manner i once believed was justifiable?

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I think that's the whole problem here and why it makes outrage on the internet almost laughable now. The man was literally admitting an error in his mindset decades ago and how stupid it was to think that way, not that he still has an intent to fulfill his flawed ideologies from the past. I respect that level of honestly because it shows a moment of weakness within his past, but more importantly the balls to come out and say something about yourself and admit that you were wrong.

Why is it easier to condemn people on the internet than it is to understand that we are all flawed beings who've had fucked up thoughts / ideologies at one point in our lives that we've (hopefully) grown from. The fact that he openly admitted that he was wrong and still people became riled up about him admitting his wrongful thought process is so fucking nuts to me because it gives off the mindset that you should never admit any wrong doing whatsoever due to the fear of public backlash.

It's crazy though, people want to talk changing for the better and living in a more unified society, yet they're pretending like they never made a mistake or had a fucked up thought about another person/race of people??? As a black man, i would be lying my ass off if i said i've never had any ill thoughts towards whites after learning about the fucked up history we have in America when i was growing up. Should i lose my job because of something i am fully aware of now how problematic it would be to act in the manner i once believed was justifiable?
Did you stalk the streets with a weapon trying to find white people to kill and spent over a week while doing so?

If you did then you had some very very serious problems.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
i dont think that anybody is arguing against this.
But people feel the need to talk about how normal and ok it is. it's not normal or okay and if you think so you should be spending many years in a therapy to talk through those extremely deep seated and dangerous problems you have. What he did was not a mild thing in the slightest.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He didn't confess to any murder. He said a friend got raped and he spent more than 7 days out in public flirting with the idea of killing a Black person with weapon in hand. We ultimately don't know whether or not he harmed anyone, everything he admitted is already "off the deep end" behavior. There's nothing absurd about pondering whether he actually harmed someone in light of these circumstances.
So he was about to confess but changed his mind Midway through? Just wanted to give people a little hint? Why even believe anything he said if he isn't trustworthy?

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you stalk the streets with a weapon trying to find white people to kill and spent over a week while doing so?

Isn't he admitting he had a very very serious problem? I don't know, the whole thing sometimes feels selective. Marky Mark still walks the streets after finding that object of his bigoted hate to almost kill. Louie Farrakhan is celebrated despite his open bigotry. The collective "we" seems to give "passes" all the time BUT not for someone who admits his irrational monstrous bigoted moment and how he got past it?

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Isn't he admitting he had a very very serious problem? I don't know, the whole thing sometimes feels selective. Marky Mark still walks the streets after finding that object of his bigoted hate to almost kill. Louie Farrakhan is celebrated despite his open bigotry. The collective "we" seems to give "passes" all the time BUT not for someone who admits his irrational monstrous bigoted moment and how he got past it?
He admitted to the "revenge is bad mmkay". Not the fact that he was being psychotically racist. The fact he says he's not racist and he would do it for various british nationalities says it all.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He admitted to the "revenge is bad mmkay". Not the fact that he was being psychotically racist.

when asked what he wanted to people to take away from him talking about this he said that he wants people to talk and open up about this stuff because racism and bigotry still exists just under the surface of everyday life, that things might look normal and that everything is ok but that racism and bigotry are there

he flat out said thats what he wants people to take away from him talking about this

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
The only good part is that at least he was honest enough to tell this. Still mot sure he realizes exavtly what je all said but he seems to realize to a large degree. There are more people who STILL think like this. Hopefully some of them see this and somehow change dor the better. I was deeply shocked when i heard this though. First thing and only thing he asked was "what skincolor?" And then he thought he could get revenge by killing a completey random and innocent person with just one similarity to the perpetrator: his skincolor. Wow.....

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He admitted to the "revenge is bad mmkay". Not the fact that he was being psychotically racist.
He mentioned the race component along with everything else. I don't think it's a leap to conclude he knows the whole deal was horrifically wrong and disgusting.

Instantly shooting people like Liam into the sun, I believe, actually hinders the conversation on race.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gonna say that each and every individual more concerned about the feelings of a white man who went out hunting for a negro to lynch instead of the feelings of the black folks his mentality victimizes every god damn day because he apologized for the attempted murder while insisting it had nothing to do with his racist ass being racist is just as racist as he is. Hopefully less psychotic though.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
He mentioned the race component along with everything else. I don't think it's a leap to conclude he knows the whole deal was horrifically wrong and disgusting.

Instantly shooting people like Liam into the sun, I believe, actually hinders the conversation on race.
He catogorically denied the most important part. Considering the serverity of what he didn that's not a minor thing.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a particular set of skills. One is shove my foot so far down my throat it comes out my ass so I can kick my own ass.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
when asked what he wanted to people to take away from him talking about this he said that he wants people to talk and open up about this stuff because racism and bigotry still exists just under the surface of everyday life, that things might look normal and that everything is ok but that racism and bigotry are there

he flat out said thats what he wants people to take away from him talking about this
But denies that that he was being racist to black people and says he would do the exact same thing if the person is white. Considering his feet is being held to the fire right now (meaning he has every impetus to say what people want to hear for PR reasons) and that's the best he could up with, that's pretty pathetic.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But denies that that he was being racist to black people and says he would do the exact same thing if the person is white. Considering his feet is being held to the fire right now (meaning he has every impetus to say what people want to hear for PR reasons) and that's the best he could up with, that's pretty pathetic.

so there's literally nothing he can say then.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gonna say that each and every individual more concerned about the feelings of a white man who went out hunting for a negro to lynch instead of the feelings of the black folks his mentality victimizes every god damn day because he apologized for the attempted murder while insisting it had nothing to do with his racist ass being racist is just as racist as he is. Hopefully less psychotic though.
Which would explain why they are so invested in Neeson's racism being absolved and talking about how brave he is for discussing it.
He could have not said he wasn't a racist and would have done the same thing if the person was white.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
There's plenty that he could say. Like he was a violent racist against black people but he has made an effort to improve citing thing's he has done. He did none of that. But yes "there's nothing he can say" because saying that is just too hard man. Toooo hard.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I don't know if he's being genuine or not, but as far as I know, his track record isn't crazy notable (exposing himself via skinny dipping is the only story I've heard). He's also not in a position of power, so while there should be increased scrutiny, I don't know if I'm personally
ready to banish him and his body of work.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So he was about to confess but changed his mind Midway through? Just wanted to give people a little hint? Why even believe anything he said if he isn't trustworthy?
I'm not saying all that, my comment wasn't even that deep. All I was pointing out is, only Liam knows what went down and we don't know if he didn't harm anyone.

No one's going to go on live TV and admit heinous crimes. Not even ex-reformed Neonazis do that, they usually just say "I did some bad things in my past" and leave it at that.

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017

If i said yes, then later realized how stupid it was for me to think like that, would it actually matter or change the mindset of those who are upset that i admitted to having those misinformed thoughts in the first place?

Probably not.

Can people change? Abso-fucking-lutely, But you can't expect that to happen if you have people coming after them after they've acknowledging their wrong doings in the past.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
If i said yes, then later realized how stupid it was for me to think like that, would it actually matter or change the mindset of those who are upset that i admitted to having those misinformed thoughts in the first place?

Probably not.

Can people change? Abso-fucking-lutely, But you can't expect that to happen if you have people coming after them after they've acknowledging their wrong doings in the past.
Breh those aren't misinformed thoughts. That fact anyone refers to them as such is truly disturbing. Those are the thoughts of someone suffering from psychosis as in people should be kept away from you. Your potentially a danger to yourself and others. Seek help. it is not a simple character flaw but something faaaaaar deeper.

Oct 31, 2017
Didn't she also complain about minorities stealing all the white superhero parts? She's really going for that "one of the good ones" award.

When asked about a potential opprutunity for herself, she went out of her way to say that black actors should have less chances due to their race and should "stop stealing all white people's superhero".

Then later said it's "lazy" for black people to be cast in superhero roles traditionally for whites, ignoring that traditionally everything good as been reserved so whites so her logic is that we should just uphold race based exclusion

How is it lazy for Donald Glover to want the chance to audition for Spider-Man or that Idris Elba gets cast as Thor's friend?

I just can't get over how hateful she is to take a chance to speak about an opportunity for herself and turn it into ranting for less opportunities for actors that are already excluded for their race.

I'm not surprised she's got some dumb ass comment about this. As if rapist slave-owners who owned people as property aren't racist because they sexually touched the black people they raped and brutalized.

And Steve McQueen hired both these people; I had a bad feeling about him

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Rationalizing violent racism
Breh those aren't misinformed thoughts. That fact anyone refers to them as such is truly disturbing.

Bruh, classify it how you want...but don't act like you've never had mis-directed anger towards another person or race for something that impacted you at one point or another in your past. You aren't human if that's the case.

and how would his intent to commit act of racism not come about from "misinformed thoughts". Literally believing that one race is superior to another because you've been raised to believe that is based off of fear and misinformation, which if left unchecked grows into hatred.

Those are the thoughts of someone suffering from psychosis as in people should be kept away from you.

So was he someone suffering from a psychotic episode or someone who's intent was to act in a racist manner? Or both??

The point is that its fucked to think that there's nothing to redeem from being honest about the times you fucked up in your past. Isn't that the first step in seeking help?

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
you guys are psychotic

all hes done is reiterate over and over how fucked up and wrong it was

Earnestly doesn't believe confessing to a racist murder attempt was wrong in the manner he did, I mean. I know he's acknowledged that he's an angry man who power walked all his issues away and can now talk about them as a reformed man