• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, don't think they're likely to shoot up now, crypto is still down and prices where dropping on cards that didn't have LHR anyway.

Hell, most AMD cards are in spitting distance of msrp and they never had LHR.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Meh, really not a big deal at all at this point. GPUs are insanely easy to get now. Head over to EVGA for example and buy a regular old 3080, no wait list. Many stores starting to discount since they're sitting on stock.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah like most others said I don't think it make that much of an impact now since stock in general is at an all-time high. Crypto is down right now anyways so I don't think many people are looking to buy in like that.

I don't expect anything that will greatly affect stock.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually sad how useless this wound up being. I get the impression Nvidia were mainly just doing it for face value rather than trying to get the cards into the hands of gamers.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
It's actually sad how useless this wound up being. I get the impression Nvidia were mainly just doing it for face value rather than trying to get the cards into the hands of gamers.
Last year the market price of non LHR cards were clearly higher than LHR cards.
It definitely helped, to a certain extent

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, really not a big deal at all at this point. GPUs are insanely easy to get now. Head over to EVGA for example and buy a regular old 3080, no wait list. Many stores starting to discount since they're sitting on stock.
Doesn't this also mean that the next gen of cards will be hard to get and expensive in a way they might not have been had this not happened?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
holy shit you're right

Did Nvidia ramp up production or something? Even in February stock was still fucked.

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
holy shit you're right

Did Nvidia ramp up production or something? Even in February stock was still fucked.
Mainly because of cryptocurrency plummeting and Ethereum has been becoming harder to mine over the past few months.
Newegg has had a 3080 in stock for 869 for a few days now even.
www.newegg.com

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card, 10G-P5-3897-KL, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate, LHR - Newegg.com

Buy EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card, 10G-P5-3897-KL, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate, LHR with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

I just wish this wasn't one of the 3x 8pin cards or I would have bought it already :(

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Considering these cards are still 20 - 30% over MSRP, it makes me wonder if some desperate GPU maker didn't help crack this. They're probably quaking in their boots over the prospect of selling at MSRP if this downturn in demand continues.

EDIT: I don't wanna hear inflation either. These cards launched with 20% tariffs in effect. Those are gone. And Nvidia has very nice cooling solutions on FE cards. They'd still be making a nice and healthy profit at MSRP.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I went with a new laptop few months ago instead!

If this affects the new line up of gpus then oof!

Having that said I'm not worried about it seeing how things are these days.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Not really worried about this given how bad crypto's doing right now, and it's prospects in the coming months.

My local Microcenter has been sitting on dozens of EVGA cards of every type for weeks, at or near normal pricing (which they are pretending is a steep discount). It's a heaven and earth difference compared to just a few months ago.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
LHR didn't seem to deter miners that much, anyway. I think increased regulation (or threat of) and dropping crypto prices have had a bigger impact on GPU demand from miners. But I'm no expert.

I'm just glad to see GPUs readily available at prices I'm comfortable with now. I just need to decide if I want to bite on the 3000 series or wait for next gen.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I would have exchange my launch 3080 with a LHR 12gb 3080 before this unlock is released with any crypto miners if they want it that bad. I use my gpu only to game.

plural abyss

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest GPU-powered Proof of Work blockchain, Ethereum, is going full ponzi by switching to "Proof of Stake" (where new coins are minted using magic, rather than energy) in the near future, and there's really not any viable alternatives in sight, so I'd consider this a very temporary setback for the GPU market, if at all.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
The biggest GPU-powered Proof of Work blockchain, Ethereum, is going full ponzi by switching to "Proof of Stake" (where new coins are minted using magic, rather than energy) in the near future, and there's really not any viable alternatives in sight, so I'd consider this a very temporary setback for the GPU market, if at all.

So basically we got a window of unknown size into which to be able to buy video cards at reasonable prices until some other coin blows up and essentially takes complete hold of the GPU market for the next couple of years. Neat.

plural abyss

Oct 27, 2017
So basically we got a window of unknown size into which to be able to buy video cards at reasonable prices until some other coin blows up and essentially takes complete hold of the GPU market for the next couple of years. Neat.

The social push to abandon Proof of Work is pretty substantial right now, not to mention the alternative consensus mechanisms are wholly beneficial to the folks that run these crypto projects, as it gives them more control over the network, so I'd imagine that we may not see any more new POW-based blockchains pop-up. That being said, all of the current mining GPUs have to go somewhere (either to other POW coins, or back to the hands of gamers) so there's a possibility that they all begin to converge on a single existing POW chain, and it gains significant traction. But from what I can tell (through watching Youtube videos about the current state of GPU mining), there's no clear destination at this time.

Ultimately, I expect crypto mining through electricity burn to be discontinued by all except Bitcoin, which doesn't use GPUs anyway.

Edit: In fact, here's a recent video from one of the biggest GPU miners on Youtube (and others) describing the bleak outlook of GPU mining. If you want to see some sad-looking miners for a hit of schadenfreude, this is it.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Mainly because of cryptocurrency plummeting and Ethereum has been becoming harder to mine over the past few months.
www.newegg.com

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card, 10G-P5-3897-KL, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate, LHR - Newegg.com

Buy EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card, 10G-P5-3897-KL, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate, LHR with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

I just wish this wasn't one of the 3x 6pin cards or I would have bought it already :(
I wish that was true in Germany, here such a card still costs like 1100€+

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
The whole crypto market is down massively, and the biggest use of GPU mining is promising to drop mining entirely this year. Maybe even in a few months. This will have almost no effect on overall prices. If you had a FHR card it will now sell for the normal price though.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Everything that had big Covid bumps is going back to normal (twitch viewing numbers, netflix subs etc.) companies will now try to keep good margins by raising prices and shout inflation when in their case it's just the world returning to the status quo. The PS5 flexing instagram lot will fall off as a 3090 or PS5 is useless at coachella or glastonbury.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

The whole thing is a ponzi scheme in that this shit is absolutely worthless unless you can get enough suckers below you to be invested and willing to start transferring cash for the quoted dollars. It's why we see the constant advertising and the invasion into sports commercials/arenas.

I've been hearing about how Ethereum is going to switch for it feels like two years now. And I'm convinced it's all about FOMO and trying to rope enough people into the eco-system so the frauds on top can finally walk away and turn their worthless crap into actual money. I don't believe anything any of these turds say. Because it's all about trying to build that pyramid so they can cash out.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
please die crypto, thanks

the only crypto I love is this man

MV5BZTYxM2VjMzEtMGY2MS00ODkwLWFmMjgtY2M1ZjBjM2RmYjI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQVRoaXJkUGFydHlJbmdlc3Rpb25Xb3JrZmxvdw@@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,0,500,281_.jpg

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I honestly don't think ETH is going to move to PoS anytime this year. Every time the date approaches, it get pushed back again and again. I imagine there's a lot of people with a vested interest in it continuing to be PoW who haven't recouped their GPU investment yet who exert some level of influence over the project.

Nov 2, 2017
Cards retain nearly 100% of their re-sale value, sometimes more. Anything you make per day is profit. Were also dealing with economies of scale obviously. Most miners are running farms of these cards not just a single one!
Second hand prices have cratered though in the past months. So if you bought a bunch of GPUs to mine 3-4 months you'll probably have lost money.

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't think ETH is going to move to PoS anytime this year. Every time the date approaches, it get pushed back again and again. I imagine there's a lot of people with a vested interest in it continuing to be PoW who haven't recouped their GPU investment yet who exert some level of influence over the project.
It will go PoS after Star Citizen Squadron 42 releases.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
www.newegg.com

I just wish this wasn't one of the 3x 6pin cards or I would have bought it already :(
Soooo...if I've been dying to get a 3080 for years...should I be off put by what you're talking about? I'm ready to jump on it ngl.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
Soooo...if I've been dying to get a 3080 for years...should I be off put by what you're talking about? I'm ready to jump on it ngl.

the impending release of the 40xx series has some people holding off, the logic being, what's another few months?

though that's another shitshow just waiting to happen I'm sure.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
the impending release of the 40xx series has some people holding off, the logic being, what's another few months?

I have no hope for getting one of those. I just want something I know will last me for years and my 980ti sits as a backup. I don't usually game at the highest settings or play a ton of AAA on PC anyway. I am super tempted at the FTW card.

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's been just long enough since I did my build...I'm assuming I don't have to worry about that with this PSU?
I don't see why it wouldn't assuming you had the slots available. My problem is I just have a really old 750w evga PSU that doesn't have another 8pin available so I would have no there choice but to replace.

Edit: Looks like the card is backordered on newegg now but apparently EVGA store has it in stock anyways so.

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why it wouldn't assuming you had the slots available. My problem is I just have a really old 750w evga PSU that doesn't have another 8pin available so I would have no there choice but to replace.

Edit: Looks like the card is backordered on newegg now but apparently EVGA store has it in stock anyways so.
Yeeaaah, but EVGA charges 55 bucks for shipping. I can wait on the back order.

thethickofit

Feb 1, 2018
To be clear, to the extent that blockchain tokens are ponzi schemes, PoW is strictly worse than PoS because the capital investment is still required, it's just a degree of abstraction away (you have to buy the mining rigs and energy). Also PoW is not actually sustainable for any cryptocurrency other than BTC because someone with a bunch of GPUs can overwhelm any small currency. This means that the stable equilibrium is BTC stays on PoW while all other tokens move to PoS.

re ETH 2.0, a couple of serious crypto(graphy + currency) researchers have told me it's going to happen, but it does remain to be seen.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah. I don't expect the 4060 to be any cheaper or more performant than the 3070, but even if it's the same price and same performance, I'd rather have a card on the new TSMC process since it'll be much better performance/watt.

I really gave up caring a number of months ago (trying to snag a 3070FE). I'm not going to put any effort into getting a card that's been on the market almost 2 years and which is being replaced by a card on a much better die process.

If I get skunked again, oh well. I'll ride my 1070 till it dies I guess.

finaljedi

Jul 15, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
I'm fine if they switch to proof of work. If they kind of want to rip each other off without choking the supply of GPUs or heating up the planet then cool.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah a little too late. Crypto is already way down and supply is much better. Still above MSRP, but much better now. This probably won't have an effect other than normalizing prices between LHR and FHR