• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Awwww shit. Not gonna say I regret the C7 I bought 20 months ago considering the use it has gotten, but... I'd sure make use of a trade up program. Wonder if my dad would be in the market for a C7 🤔

e: locking this to 16/20 series is bullshit. Give a good reason or get fucked, nvidia.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
This is game changing, but Nvidia only supporting RTX and GTX 16 series cards is bs.

There's no technical reason for them not to support Pascal and even Maxwell cards.

I really hope that this is another case of introducing a feature first for the newest GPUs, and later adding support at least to the previous generation, like they did with the "OC Scanner" feature (exclusive to 20 series cards at first, but later supported by Pascal GPUs).

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
More marketing BS/FUD by Nvidia. This is nothing more than standard VRR support (there's no additional change/work done by LG here it's all driver support on Nvidia's side) making the average Joe (99% of the potential consumer).. Artificially restricting this to Turing GPUs shouldn't surprise anyone... 🤔

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why only LG? Samsung TVs had VRR before LG. Obviously this isn't about HDMI 2.1 because Nvidia doesn't have HDMI 2.1 in any of their currently sold GPUs.

And WTF... only 20 series. GTX 1080 Ti has HDMI 2.0b just like RTX 2080 Ti. Another asshole move from Nvidia, just like locking out 10 series from using integer scaling...

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I guess I will wait for the driver to clarify this. Is it bringing generic VRR (like generic VRR over Displayport) to HDMI? Or is it literally just for LG T.V.s?

I would obviously prefer the former as it allows you to "try" and get your VRR display to work with the NV driver, which generally does.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I will wait for the driver to clarify this. Is it bringing generic VRR (like generic VRR over Displayport) to HDMI? Or is it literally just for LG T.V.s?

I would obviously prefer the former as it allows you to "try" and get your VRR display to work with the NV driver, which generally does.
Sounds like Nvidia is finally going to allow VRR(Gsync) over HDMI. That's great.
Walled garden for only LG and only RTX20 series. Not so great.

Nov 8, 2017

I was concerned they'd limit it to HDMI 2.1 displays for some insane reason, but:

If you don't own a LG TV, but do own a display or TV that only supports Variable Refresh Rates via HDMI, you can try enabling HDMI VRR when the aforementioned driver is released. As these displays and TVs haven't yet been through our comprehensive validation process, we can't guarantee VRR will work, or work without issue.

Be assured though, we will be testing current and future Variable Refresh Rate HDMI displays, and will be working with manufacturers like LG to bring flawless out-of-the-box G-SYNC Compatible support to their big-screen TVs, so more GeForce gamers can enjoy smooth gameplay from the comfort of their couch.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Sounds like Nvidia is finally going to allow VRR(Gsync) over HDMI. That's great.
Walled garden for only LG and only RTX20 series. Not so great.
I was concerned they'd limit it to HDMI 2.1 displays for some insane reason, but:

No idea why it needs to be RTX or GTX 16 series only at this point, (like integer scaling) but damn I am happy about what ThereAreFourNaan just highlighted ^_^

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Why only LG? Samsung TVs had VRR before LG. Obviously this isn't about HDMI 2.1 because Nvidia doesn't have HDMI 2.1 in any of their currently sold GPUs.
Because LG is awesome and Samsung sucks
Same feel bro.

I've been waiting for this feature for so long. And despite the fact that 10 series cards are entirely capable hardware-wise, Nvidia is software-locking the feature to it's newest cards.

Incredibly scummy.
Yeah I'm actually getting tearing while playing rocket league so this would've been life saver.

I'll wait for impressions when this is implemented, but I think I will upgrade if it works as advertised

Nov 8, 2017
e: locking this to 16/20 series is bullshit. Give a good reason or get fucked, nvidia.

They should add it, but like, proportional response. Until today they hadn't signaled any intent to support VRR over HDMI, until this year they hadn't signaled any intent to support (Desktop) VRR outside of the G-sync module ecosystem. Whether or not they'll eventually port this back to older GPUs is hard to say, but 12 months ago people had more or less resigned themselves to the idea that there would be this vendor-monitor lock-in for the indefinite future, so we're making major progress on that front.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017

Its VRR over HDMI

"" If you don't own a LG TV, but do own a display or TV that only supports Variable Refresh Rates via HDMI, you can try enabling HDMI VRR when the aforementioned driver is released. As these displays and TVs haven't yet been through our comprehensive validation process, we can't guarantee VRR will work, or work without issue. ""

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
This is VRR over HDMI, right? I've been waiting for this since last year. Now all LG needs to do before I upgrade to LG OLED from my LG LCD is bring Apple TV to their 2019 range. I'm not sure why they are not on-board yet, when Samsung is, and LG has Airplay 2 integrated.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That's awesome!! I own a C9 and 2080Ti.

Well, awesome-ish anyway. It probably won't be much use to me as I play in 4k and the 2080Ti doesn't support HDMI 2.1 so I can't go over 60hz anyway at that resolution. Good for the next gen Nvidia cards though, and for the times I'm happy dropping to 1440p.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Will be very interesting how good LGs scaler will work with 40-60fps content.
A good scaler together with unlocked frame rates on nextgen consoles will be a gamechanger.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like this will be 1440p120 or 4K60 on current GPUs. Since it's mid-to-late cycle for these displays and GPUs, I'll be waiting for next year's TVs and GPUs before upgrading.
Hopefully next year's OLEDs will include the improved motion handling which was demoed and then cancelled at the last minute. And if I'm allowed to dream, they will have figured out a way to combine BFI with VRR, like ASUS have with their new ELMB-Sync monitors. ≤1ms MPRT combined with VRR is the next big thing for displays.

Super noob question but I always thought G-Sync was mostly useful for preventing tearing/stuttering at variable FPS's (which is usually at the maximum of the GPU's capability).
It has been a few years since I've played on a console, but is screen tearing ever actually an issue on console? I didn't think it was.
The #1 benefit of VRR technologies is that it eliminates stuttering with variable frame rates, since the refresh rate is now synchronized to the frame rate.
A distant #2 and #3 are that it can reduce latency by 2–3 frames (introduced by double/triple buffering) and does so without screen tearing.

So..."Switch Pro"? (Though I have yet to hear about Tegra processors supporting G-Sync)
I said it from the start, but the Switch should have included a G-Sync display.
It would provide a significant improvement for playing in handheld mode where performance is often inconsistent, and would have been amazing for NVIDIA to get G-Sync in that many people's hands.

I wonder if Sony oleds will have this tech? I thought they are rebrands lg tvs?
Anyways do you guys think my A1E will still be good for ps5? Like the freesync stuff is awesome but they are just nice perks at end of day. It should still be a good panel for games/movies.
They buy panels from LG and use their own processing/design. They are not "rebrands".
Unfortunately, while Sony arguably have the best image processing in the business (or Panasonic if you care about slightly more accuracy over picture enhancements) they have (both) been falling behind when it comes to TV features. Their SmartTV OS is Android-based and really bad compared to LG's WebOS.

Panasonic have a number of features specific to their TVs which seem to be in practically all of their displays that other manufacturers overlook. I love using their "Hotel Mode" to always start the TV at a fixed volume and on a specified input, for example.
And Sony's image processing has yet to be matched in my experience (smoothest gradients in any source).
But LG is at the top of my list for new TVs right now due to how much better their OS and the support for their TVs is. Samsung seem like a close second now, but they don't sell OLEDs.

are you telling me consoles with AMD GPU are able to take advantage of Gsync display?
This is not G-Sync, it is "G-Sync Compatible".
That means it's using FreeSync (VESA Adaptive-Sync) or HDMI-VRR, but support has been certified by NVIDIA.
The Xbox One X already supports both FreeSync and HDMI-VRR. The PS4 doesn't seem to have the hardware required for support -or Sony does not care to support it- but next-gen everything should be using it.

Am I the only one who can't see the benefits of gsync/freesync in actual games?
Imo higher hz should be prioritized on these TVs.
They're already 120Hz.
As for not seeing the benefits of G-Sync/FreeSync, there are two possibilities:
  1. You don't seem to notice stuttering in games caused by variable frame rates.
  2. You're using G-Sync in windowed mode and not full-screen mode.
Windowed-Mode G-Sync produces bad results compared to Full-Screen G-Sync. It's not properly smooth and stutter-free, and should be disabled.
If you want "Windowed" G-Sync, you should use Kaldaien's SpecialK tool to force the game into DirectFlip mode, or hope that Windows 10's Full-Screen Optimizations are active in the game's Full-Screen mode.

I feel you, I have a 1080ti. I see no reason why they can't update those in the future too besides greed.
It's probably a hardware limitation.
AMD were able to implement FreeSync, and then FreeSync-over-HDMI, on much older products than NVIDIA were with G-Sync, and now FreeSync / FreeSync-over-HDMI / HDMI-VRR.
If I recall correctly, it was something like AMD being an early adopter of DisplayPort 1.2a vs NVIDIA staying at DisplayPort 1.2 for much longer. Until VRR displays, that difference didn't really mean anything.
It wouldn't surprise me if there's a similar limitation with NVIDIA's HDMI implementations.

Doesn't work at all right now, AFAIK.
This is why I am so frustrated at the way eARC is implemented in HDMI 2.1.
eARC seems to require eARC-capable devices on both ends.
What eARC should have been, is a dedicated full-bandwidth output on the display that works with any existing HDMI audio device. Even HDMI 1.0 supported 8-channel LPCM - though realistically you'd probably not want to use anything older than HDMI 1.3 (TrueHD/DTS-HD support).
That way buying an HDMI 2.1 display would have upgraded the audio with any device which is currently hooked up via ARC or S/PDIF.

The way HDMI should always have worked, is that you plug your sources directly into the TV, which then outputs audio to the receiver.
Receivers should never have been video switchers or processing devices to begin with.

As it is now, I'm hoping there will be inexpensive adapters to connect regular HDMI audio devices up to displays with eARC support.
There's no reason that anyone with an HDMI 2.0 audio device should have to replace it with an HDMI 2.1 device just for improved video pass-through.

They said it may work with other displays but is only certified for these OLEDs right now.
The question is whether this is only HDMI-VRR support, or also FreeSync-over-HDMI, as I believe the specs are slightly different and are not compatible with one another. Hopefully it's not just HDMI-VRR, and FreeSync-over-HDMI monitors will also be supported by this update.

No idea why it needs to be RTX or GTX 16 series only at this point, (like integer scaling) but damn I am happy about what ThereAreFourNaan just highlighted ^_^
My understanding is that scaling is provided by fixed-function hardware in everything prior to Turing, which is why it is not supported on older GPUs.
I'm very glad that my old topic on the GeForce forums actually did result in a new feature being implemented, though I'm unable to actually try it out since I have a 1070.
I have since found that my preference is to use integer scaling to the nearest integer (or +1) and then use linear scaling to fit the display though. This retains most of the sharpness of "true" integer scaling but without the black bars if it's not a perfect fit.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin

And WTF... only 20 series. GTX 1080 Ti has HDMI 2.0b just like RTX 2080 Ti. Another asshole move from Nvidia, just like locking out 10 series from using integer scaling...
Something tells me that has to do with their low latency in gaming with 13.7 ms.
I am very happy that I bought a C9 this year, the only thing which makes my head scratch is, if this works, if you use an AVR,
basically G-Sync plus AVR usage, or if you have to go the direct way, I know that my Marantz supports ALLM, but does not have HDMI 2.1.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something tells me that has to do with their low latency in gaming with 13.7 ms.
I am very happy that I bought a C9 this year, the only thing which makes my head scratch is, if this works, if you use an AVR,
basically G-Sync plus AVR usage, or if you have to go the direct way, I know that my Marantz supports ALLM, but does not have HDMI 2.1.
That can't be the reason because Samsung VRR TVs have ALLM and all these VRR bells and whistles. These aren't LG exclusive.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably a hardware limitation.
AMD were able to implement FreeSync, and then FreeSync-over-HDMI, on much older products than NVIDIA were with G-Sync, and now FreeSync / FreeSync-over-HDMI / HDMI-VRR.
If I recall correctly, it was something like AMD being an early adopter of DisplayPort 1.2a vs NVIDIA staying at DisplayPort 1.2 for much longer. Until VRR displays, that difference didn't really mean anything.
It wouldn't surprise me if there's a similar limitation with NVIDIA's HDMI implementations.

The limiting hardware factor would be if the 10 series cards didn't include HDMI 2.0b, but they do just like the 20 Series cards.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How good are these TVs for lag/input delay for fighting games, and how much do they cost? If the cost is reasonable and the price right, I could get this as a monitor.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
the 2020 version of the C9 sounds the time to upgrade to OLED finally (hopefully has VRR for consoles as well as gysnc), that said I am waiting for good OLED to be under £1k. Though do use a receiver (for my surround sound) so need to find one of those that supports VRR pass through.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell. Gsync, not Freesync?
Very cool. I rock a B7 LG OLED and was thinking about possibly upgrading in 2021. The 9 series is insane. Picture is basically the same though.
Same deal here. I'll wait a bit longer to see how it pans out and then likely sell my B7 and pick this guy up when they're affordable.

Edit: My god the 55" is only $1399. I wonder what I could sell my B7 for? Still going to wait to see reactions from people, but I'm tempted.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Will G-Sync have the same operating window of 48fps-120fps as VRR or will the range be greater?

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks to have a C9 and a 1080ti, but at least when the next gen Nvidia cards are out, I'll have a display that can take full advantage of it.

The C9 keeps delivering.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA