• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
After they labelled affirming your trans child as child abuse and started removing trans children from their parents none of this is a suprise to me. They haven't been subtle in their intent and anyone suggesting that they're coming for queer people now following the loss of Roe hasn't been paying attention to the 300+ anti-trans bills this year, following on from more last year.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised this is in Orange County. It's Orlando, this is a Dem stronghold. I guess there must be some legalese and they are being forced to do this to protect teachers? Budget? It sucks.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
So at what point does anyone step in and deal with these genocidal pricks?
Who is going to? The Democrats are pretty eh about it overall. The Republicans love it. It was bound to happen. Like, it's pretty obvious a lot of politicians, judges, etc don't care too much as long as they're paid.

Life in America, and basically everywhere, would be way, way, way better for the average person if politicians were not allowed to make more than, let's say, 200k per year.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I am surprised this is in Orange County. It's Orlando, this is a Dem stronghold. I guess there must be some legalese and they are being forced to do this to protect teachers? Budget? It sucks.
It's because of the dumb law. That's why. The Don't Say Gay Bill passed by Ron DeSantis.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans: "We must give control of the classrooms back to the parents!"

Parents: "My kid goes by these pronouns"

Republicans: "No, not that"

RedCrake

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, GA
As a teacher over the last 17 years, I've had students tell me they are gay, trans, or questioning. It's almost always because they need someone they trust to talk to and are terrified of how their parents will react. I have never told and will never tell anyone unless a student asks me to. Good luck proving I knew about it and if they can and I get locked up for it, so be it.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Life in America, and basically everywhere, would be way, way, way better for the average person if politicians were not allowed to make more than, let's say, 200k per year.
this but the sad reality is the people that would need to set that are the ones that currently take in more than that. But if it did pass or was some sort of executive order, the problematic ones would still find ways to break it without technically breaking it but it's not like they would face consequences cause it's been like 18 months since some sitting senators and house members encouraged and were involved in a violet coup attempt and are still sitting in office and not a jail cell or facing the actual punishment for treason...

Nov 3, 2020
if they get federal power they are going to remove anyone they do not like anywhere. this is that bad. this is not fear mongering. they will use violence. people will die.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
As a HS teacher that has been a confidant students you can fire me. I ain't reportin this shit or changing a damn thing. Eat shit.

Line in the sand.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
i'm imagining a teacher will challenge this when the school year starts up. you can't have a picture of someone the same gender? like how do you know if it's a son/nephew/cousin/friend/whatever ffs

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Absolutely heartbreaking for queer youth.

As a teacher over the last 17 years, I've had students tell me they are gay, trans, or questioning. It's almost always because they need someone they trust to talk to and are terrified of how their parents will react. I have never told and will never tell anyone unless a student asks me to. Good luck proving I knew about it and if they can and I get locked up for it, so be it.

They will likely never find out about something like that. The point is for queer youth to not come out for fear of retaliation.

At a point in the far distance future because cishet folks won't put up a fight. A large number agree with things like this.

Dec 30, 2020
The government of Florida should all be forced into chastity belts and iron masks. You know, just to err on the side of caution.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I thought they were fans of small government….fucking assholes.

Oct 28, 2017
Is this that Florida freedom I've been hearing so much about lately? What a joke.

Also, just to remind everyone, Ron DeSantis is Greg Stillson.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Disingenuous pundits and twitterati have been arguing *for months* that labeling the bill "Don't Say Gay" was unfair.

Oct 27, 2017
Less than 20k votes would've prevented this slew of reprehensible and fragile cishet white grievances if Andrew Gillum had been elected. He told everybody what and who DeSantis was and still people refused to fucking vote.

I hope all of these bigots get theirs.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
All of these rulings only exist so that by the time Trump is back in, he will immediately be able to rule this country with an iron fist. Look at all the rulings so far and think about how Trump and the Republican party will utilize all of these rulings against the American people.

We likely won't have a Democracy in a few years. Republicans and Trump are determined to end it and force extreme conservative way of life on everyone.

With Republicans even talking about bringing back segregation, it's hard to say where their limit will be. It will be Hell.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I know teacher friends in FL who are sick of this state's assault on education, and sadly are leaving the state. They are fed up, and apparently many other good educators are seeking ways out.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Really heartbreaking to see this happening. The courts aren't going to fix this either. Educators, students, parents, and allies need to take a stand. I don't know what that looks like in Florida. I assume unions are illegal there? This is blatant discrimination.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
When my wife recounted this news to me, my first reaction is that lawmakers in Florida are pushing a teacher to sue for discrimination practices to get a case kicked up to the Supreme Court, since Thomas already announced what they want to do.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
DeSantis sucks, law sucks, but the story isn't entirely true.

www.fox35orlando.com

Orange County Public Schools clarifies guidance for new laws after backlash at board meeting

Rumors about how Orange County Public Schools plans to handle new law changes had people speaking out at Tuesdays school board meeting.
So K thru 3rd grade teachers' personal expression is under threat by these new laws, every LGBTQ person in public education (student or staff) is being discriminated against for being who they are. Does anyone think it will stop here? This is bad enough already and it's only going to get worse. The FEA (Florida Education Association) needs to take a stand yesterday.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
DeSantis sucks, law sucks, but the story isn't entirely true.

www.fox35orlando.com

Orange County Public Schools clarifies guidance for new laws after backlash at board meeting

Rumors about how Orange County Public Schools plans to handle new law changes had people speaking out at Tuesdays school board meeting.
EXPLANATION: "Teachers with same-sex partners may not display photos of their weddings or discuss their same-sex partners. However, heterosexual teachers may discuss their family relationships." Not an accurate statement. All teachers are encouraged to keep pictures of their families in the classroom; however, in K-3, it was cautioned against specific discussions in the event those discussions could be deemed classroom instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity.

So still no for K-3 and still fucked up.