• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I don't think anybody in this thread was arguing shitting on the bigots at all. People are getting worked up over the wrong thing here.
Oh please HiResTomato certainly was. Theye literally said people in this thread need to reevaluate how tolerant they are because their words are too mean. I don't believe for one second he was coming in defense of people's religion. It was pure tone-policing.

Yes they were an alt-account, but it's not like their tactic or viewpoint isn't a popular one. At least in America, I'd argue it's one of the greatest reasons racism and bigotry can thrive, by pretending there is no right side, and therefore, no choice to stand against bigotry has to be taken.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Oh please HiResTomato certainly was. Theye literally said people in this thread need to reevaluate how tolerant they are because their words are too mean. I don't believe for one second he was coming in defense of people's religion. It was pure tone-policing.

Yes they were an alt-account, but it's not like their tactic or viewpoint isn't a popular one. At least in America, I'd argue it's one of the greatest reasons racism and bigotry can thrive, by pretending there is no right side, and therefore, no choice to stand against bigotry has to be taken.

If that's the case I agree, I'm just saying "their shitty religion" could definitely be seen as offensive to a Muslim member. I took his post about being a the_donald level comment as saying, we're lumping an entire religion in with these bigots because of this. I could just be being naive about that though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If that's the case I agree, I'm just saying "their shitty religion" could definitely be seen as offensive to a Muslim member. I took his post about being a the_donald level comment as saying, we're lumping an entire religion in with these bigots because of this. I could just being naive about that though.

I share your sympathies. It would be more than disappointing if this topic were just to become an ideological battleground over an imaginary dichotomy, that just serves to further alienate people for whom both these issues are relevant. And that should be sort of everyone to some degree; everyone has a gay cousin, and nearly as many have a Muslim friend. I'm a gay man and 'religious' (a Buddhist convert), and though I have no particular interest in Islam, I think that 'theological' arguments and feelings can sometimes seem a little too easily summarized by some people here. But I also think that might be an extension of not having an interest in the topic, because taking an interest is what prompts insight, and so then maybe some lacking in their account can be understandable and expected.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Some of your Sunni caliphs were openly gay (mostly Ottoman Sultans), Muslims. Please, get over it.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Homosexuality is a hanius, horrible thing he says while standing in front of a we are not homophobic people sign

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Homosexuality is a hanius, horrible thing he says while standing in front of a we are not homophobic people sign

It's basically a "smart" bigot in the ranks that knows in order to get the police protection as a "peaceful protest", standing in front of a primary school with Westboro like signs of "Homos are f*gs" or "Gays should be jailed" would probably get them into bother.

I'd refer to it as "polite aggression" or "polite bigotry". Knowing how to play the system to your advantage. "I'm not homophobic, but.... Gays are an abomination and the gay agenda is child abuse".

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that the organisers of the original two protests don't actually have children at the schools.

Nothing suspicious about that. No siree.

Oct 28, 2017
So how this situation will end ?

Protest Parent bored and move their kids and them to somewhere else ?

Tories tried stupid shit like having "faith schools" because they believe in free market libertarian bullshit instead of state funded education, so you'll see these kids be shuttered into conservative as fuck faith schools in no time.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Didn't see anything about the size of the protests but I would imagine the conservative Muslim population in the UK that is behind these protests is nowhere near a majority, at least.

I'm sure Sam Harris will be all over this and use it to smear Muslims, too. Sigh.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see anything about the size of the protests but I would imagine the conservative Muslim population in the UK that is behind these protests is nowhere near a majority, at least.

I'm sure Sam Harris will be all over this and use it to smear Muslims, too. Sigh.

Poll figures aren't great

However, when asked to what extent they agreed or disagreed that homosexuality should be legal in Britain, 18% said they agreed and 52% said they disagreed, compared with 5% among the public at large who disagreed. Almost half (47%) said they did not agree that it was acceptable for a gay person to become a teacher, compared with 14% of the general population.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...se-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should not exist at all.

While I think it's incredibly detrimental to keep kids away from socializing with other kids of various backgrounds, I just can't see a path towards eradicating faith schools without serious resistance. Private funding is the first step I think is achievable.

Gender-segregated schools should be shut. Zero tolerance for that.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hope schools don't cave. 200% done with these bigots, modern society has no room for these views.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What sickens me the most is that they're there with their kids, making the next generation just as homophobic and twisted as they are. This is so depressing.

The kids are probably getting told even worse at home to be honest.

But yes, it's embarrassing to see kids publicly surrounded by this nonsense. The small chance some of them have is when they are away from their parents they might interact with other kids or have a school properly educate them. Otherwise, they'll grow into teens and then adults that keep the cycle of hatred, bullying and potentially violence going.

Now the parents are following them to these safe spaces to make sure the kids know to hate and fear the gay away.

Voltaire

Sep 13, 2018
Religion again proves itself the worst fucking idea. I cannot believe that the most stupidly unfalsifiable idea in the history of human thought is still the cause of all this crap hundreds of years after the scientific revolution.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

Hateful shitheads

Protest co-ordinator Shakeel Afsar, who says he's been elected as parents' spokesman but does not have children at the school, laid the blame for the incident with the LGBT group. He said their actions were provocative, turning up as night fell, disturbing residents and causing intimidation by putting up rainbow flags and inflammatory messages. In a series of tweets he accused the group of being 'vandalisers' who had provoked residents by arriving during Ramadan as most residents were about to mark iftar, the breaking of the fast.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
'Causing intimidation by putting up rainbow flags'

I never knew rainbows were so intimidating.

Nov 9, 2017
Protest co-ordinator Shakeel Afsar, who says he's been elected as parents' spokesman but does not have children at the school, laid the blame for the incident with the LGBT group. He said their actions were provocative, turning up as night fell, disturbing residents and causing intimidation by putting up rainbow flags and inflammatory messages. In a series of tweets he accused the group of being 'vandalisers' who had provoked residents by arriving during Ramadan as most residents were about to mark iftar, the breaking of the fast.

Hope there can be a solution found before this escalates even further. Are there numbers on how many protesters there are nationwide and how much support they actually have?

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I share your sympathies. It would be more than disappointing if this topic were just to become an ideological battleground over an imaginary dichotomy, that just serves to further alienate people for whom both these issues are relevant. And that should be sort of everyone to some degree; everyone has a gay cousin, and nearly as many have a Muslim friend. I'm a gay man and 'religious' (a Buddhist convert), and though I have no particular interest in Islam, I think that 'theological' arguments and feelings can sometimes seem a little too easily summarized by some people here. But I also think that might be an extension of not having an interest in the topic, because taking an interest is what prompts insight, and so then maybe some lacking in their account can be understandable and expected.

Thanks for this, and another friendly reminder there are queer Muslims.

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
So teaching kids about LGBT kids is indoctrination? Fuck off.

I think I should have been more clear.

I believe subjects such as this (including sex ed) should be reserved for later.

I think the main issue is parents have no idea what's going on and that's making it worse. So they can only speculate and probably make it worse then it seems.

Inviting them to the class would make more sense

Bernard Coleslaw I realised that may have came across incorrectly.

I'm bi myself and am currently dating a trans person so I'm far from it.

I apologise for coming across like that

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I believe subjects such as this (including sex ed) should be reserved for later.

I think the main issue is parents have no idea what's going on and that's making it worse. So they can only speculate and probably make it worse then it seems.

Are you also for the banning of almost every piece of children's media out there? LGBT people and relationships are not anymore unsuitable to young children than cis straight people. By delaying the introduction of LGBT people you're just allowing these children to develop biases that lead to hate.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

It's already been made clear to these parents that all these lessons seek to do is educate that LGBT people exist, that some children have 2 mummies/daddies etc.

There is nothing about this that should be reserved for adolescents only unless you think the existence of LGBT people is something that should be shielded from young children, an absolutely absurd notion that exposing them to this knowledge threatens their innocence.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking as the resident of a (vastly) Muslim majority country these shitstains using their freedom of speech to attempt to regress to their own backwards, worthless ways makes me angry like few things do. For every single one of these undeserving fucks, there are 100 more tolerant, more understanding Muslims that deserve the opportunities and freedoms of living in a first world country.

edit: The only "dangerous" thing about LGBT education for children is convincing the children they can be supportive of LGBT people in front of adults they trust when those adults might be homophobic as hell and mistreat their children for being LGBT-positive

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We're not homopohobic. Just none of our people are allowed to be homosexual. Don't you understand?

Those protesting parents are rediculous.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
It's already been made clear to these parents that all these lessons seek to do is educate that LGBT people exist, that some children have 2 mummies/daddies etc.

There is nothing about this that should be reserved for adolescents only unless you think the existence of LGBT people is something that should be shielded from young children, an absolutely absurd notion that exposing them to this knowledge threatens their innocence.

The way it's been handled by the protestors is stupid. I agree there.

It kinda reminds me of the shit you see on Facebook where people read a headline and get outraged without looking into it.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
The way it's been handled by the protestors is stupid. I agree there.

It kinda reminds me of the shit you see on Facebook where people read a headline and get outraged without looking into it.

Okay that's them.

Why are you against children being taught that LGBT people exist as part of a broader program with the aims of "Teach children to be proud of who they are while recognising and celebrating difference and diversity"?

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

...as someone who's gay and has struggled a lot about my identity into my teenager years? No. Absolutly not. It's important to introduce this to children as soon as possible. Also, are you saying, by this logic, young children shouldn't have two same sex parents, because it's a subject best handled until "later"? Just no.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
So how would conservative Muslims do have any political power to force schools, politicians, etc. to backtrack on that matter?

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Okay that's them.

Why are you against children being taught that LGBT people exist as part of a broader program with the aims of "Teach children to be proud of who they are while recognising and celebrating difference and diversity"?

I think most of the issue with most things in life is misinformation.

I just hope uses this protests as an excuse to do stupid shit.

I'm sorry if I came across as ignorant.