• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
Never put a number on things like this. Creators just need to be free to make what is true to them.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neither: make great games with them as they are conceived as ideas, not from spreadsheets with goals

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I mean if you take all games released up to this point.

It's gonna take a lot of LGBT representation to get to a proportional state.

Just saying.

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
Is there a source for the 10% number? I'd be interested in reading it. I can only find 4.5% for LGBT in the US, and a few other countries where the number is smaller.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
lol @ "proportional". That's purely farce for faux allies.

Make every game gay as hell. Shove it down every throat.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I'm in favor of sticking it in people's faces till they get used to it and start accepting it.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The characters should at least be proportional. But I see no reason why it should stop there. And representation is incredibly important, even if some devs stumble along the way. Having your existence acknowledged can be powerful--even if some of the details are wrong.

The key, I think, will just be working to make sure that LGBTQ characters are treated with an equal footing, lest we overcorrect into "Do No Wrong" stereotypes instead of being people.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Is there a source for the 10% number? I'd be interested in reading it. I can only find 4.5% for LGBT in the US, and a few other countries where the number is smaller.

The Kinsey report, which is unreliable but so are official government figures.

Generally people don't wanna give out information on their sexuality to databases, so it's hard to confirm or deny it. But the number of people identifying as gay on government databases is consitently rising as it becomes more acceptable to gay so many people say the Kinsey report isn't actually far off mark.

(Plus, anecdotally, I know and have known too many LGBT people in my life across different jobs to believe it's not somewhere around 10%, though I don't hold that belief as equal worth of proper research)

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
It should be and is whatever the writers , producers and directors want it to be. Inclusion riders should be for the real humans behind the scenes who then will influence the media they create with positive accurate representation

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think ideally it would be somewhere in between. More than just proportional for the sake of visibility, but it doesn't need to be equal either because the majority of people are straight. And of course, any game with a self insert protag with romance options should have queer romance options

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to understand what you mean by this. All developers should make their protagonists gay by default, unless they have some explicit justification for making a character straight?

It's more that we should think about why characters need to be straight all the time, and what can be done to be more inclusive.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Everyone should be fantastically who they want to be. I'd argue that a proportionate amount would be an interesting element in gaming, meaning something to the like of Watch_Dogs where you'd encounter different profiles/personalities and that would feel rather authentic in a world-building sense. I do believe that representation isn't simply a blanket approach to "well we need a gay and a black person so let us fill the quota!" as that is not understanding the reasoning for representation in the first place.

What should be the case is actual acknowledgement, not shoved in ones face for the sake of brownie points but done appropriately to the setting of the game. That a developer has taken the time to approach, consider and acknowledge the need for diversity to enrich their game ethos. Equality does not mean taking one down a peg to help the other go up, it is about ensuring all pegs are able to access the same level.

It's more that we should think about why characters need to be straight all the time, and what can be done to be more inclusive.

Indeed a rather interesting approach. A "normalised" approach to story development where the normality is non-hetero and a path to developing understanding of why should this character be "straight" rather than what the world-building considers normal. I like it.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
So let's say you want to make this a very simple question, leaving out the realities of how people and companies create characters and stories that will appeal to the biggest audience and therefore make the most money.

I think it's perfectly logical to simply cater to the bigger audience. That's just the answer that makes the most sense. Making it a 50/50 split would be a big win for fairness and morality which is great on it's own but that comes at the cost of potentially alienating the much bigger demographic.

This.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I'm happy that people are thinking of empowering LGBT people to make their own games that adequately represent them, because that is something that is also needed, but I can't be the superhero for every time I need rescuing, and I know that applies to lots of other people too. Is it wrong to say that "I think something like this should exist" even if I can't actually make it exist?
Should I make this its' own topic?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Should I make this its' own topic?
On this note, I absolutely agree that straight devs should be committed to making LGBT characters in their games, but at the same time I would hope they would be careful and still try to ask for input from the LGBT community to avoid any unfortunate stereotyping or problematic portrayals that might not have been intentional.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
It's really frustrating that so much effort has to be spent just at argue that gays should exist in games. I remember back when Mass Effect 3 came out on the old Bioware boards people were arguing that there should be a toggle to remove gay characters from the game. There has been a lot of progress made in the past few years, but people are still just fighting for the right for queers to even exist in games, not to lead them.

I can't express how much I would love to play a game like Persona 5 with a gay lead, or a trans lead. So often in this medium we see the same lead characters, and the same style of stories over and over. Player choice is great, and an easy way to increase inclusion, but I really wish that more creators in this medium would have the nerve to make a cannon gay or lesbian, or trans hero as their lead.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
There should be more to familiarize people with it. The more familiar it is the less people will immediately cringe at the mere mention of it. Atleast that's the dream.

Now that I think about it, what's even the logic behind the proportional argument? I mean I suppose it might be unrealistic if a game took place on planet gay where everyone was gay but I think there are much less realistic things that people don't feel the need to argue over.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
On this note, I absolutely agree that straight devs should be committed to making LGBT characters in their games, but at the same time I would hope they would be careful and still try to ask for input from the LGBT community to avoid any unfortunate stereotyping or problematic portrayals that might not have been intentional.
Yeah, because if you end up without that input is stuff like Mass Effect Andromeda where trans people introduce themselves by deadnaming.

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to understand what you mean by this. All developers should make their protagonists gay by default, unless they have some explicit justification for making a character straight?
all I'm saying, unless the game involves you repopulating the world, there's no reason for them to be straight.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, because if you end up without that input is stuff like Mass Effect Andromeda where trans people introduce themselves by deadnaming.
yep. I think even with the best intentions that can happen in these situations, and while not everyone can or should be expected to drop their job and go into a potentially completely alien field to get this done, pretty much anyone can give some feedback and help avoid problematic issues that some might not be aware of

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing Concerns on Representation and Inclusivity
no need to force this everywhere

i just didnt want videogames got taken advantages for some political reason later

honestly i dont really care about this stuff..one of reason i play game so i could 'escape' from real world for awhile
i enjoy videogame due to gameplay,setting,storyline ..like watching movie....no need to concern about will-be-there-or not or whatever about character lgbt interest etc

be there or not,equal or propotional just let how it will be..let it happened

just personal opinion here

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
Making this thread for fellow junior member P-Tux7, here's his post:

As a bisexual man, I've been struggling between picking the first due to logical reasoning, and the second due to emotional reasoning (because I know it's what I would have loved when I was younger):
Do you guys think LGBT representation in media should be demographic-proportional (to show that real life has ~10% of humans as gay to name one group) or "ethical-proportional" (have a 50/50 split between gay and straight to show that the creators do not prefer straightness more than homosexuality)?
I just don't like getting told that I'm just as valid as a straight person but the representation does not amount to as much as straight relationships.
What is the point of putting a specific number on it? Seriously if someone wants to make a gay character or something let them. But when people try and force it in then articles get written about how poorly implemented the gay character is and how it's just for show. It's impossible to win in this situation unless you just allow people to create what they want. Would more representation be welcomed? Sure. But we need to stop trying to force people to create stuff they don't want to create.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
if a game took place on planet gay where everyone was gay
giphy.gif

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We need some specific big media projects that push LGBT in a big way, like how Steven Universe was hyper-focused on it.

The thing is to make the idea clear that everyone in the LGBT space is in fact a normal part of society, and big exposure from popular media is exactly the right way to make it happen.

We can worry about 'proportions' and what have you after these concepts have been normalized completely.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What is the point of putting a specific number on it? Seriously if someone wants to make a gay character or something let them. But when people try and force it in then articles get written about how poorly implemented the gay character is and how it's just for show. It's impossible to win in this situation unless you just allow people to create what they want. Would more representation be welcomed? Sure. But we need to stop trying to force people to create stuff they don't want to create.
I think you need to force the issue to an extent, and the issue of poor representation can easily be solved by communicating with individuals in the lgbt community to ensure your portrayals aren't offensive. Obviously if the person in charge really doesn't want to do it or is a bigot they might ignore the advice or even purposefully sabotage the portrayals, but then we should be asking if such a person should be allowed that level of control in the first place

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is the wrong way to look at the situation.

What you should be thinking about is making gaming open enough so that when a developer pitches a game, a publisher doesn't instantly go "uhhhm, well how about instead of a women lead we make it a guy, and also white straight males sell better based on your genre so change that too or we aren't interested"

I mean shit, Sony was getting all bent out of shape over TLoU box cover featuring Ellie as the prominent character on display, just imagine (or don't because we have people who have talked about this) the actual shit that goes on with publishers and developers.

Once that bullshit ends you'll have a much more natural and diverse display of stories and ideas in AAA gaming.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How about the game's author decide it?
More important than the amount is the quality of that representation, no?
Because as it stands that's how it's been handled and it's nowhere near enough. And there are ways to force it while ensuring representation is still good that are as simple as making sure the devs are having an active dialogue with the lgbt community to avoid pitfalls

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
What am I supposed to do? I want to *play* games that star LGBT people, not make them.
I can't express how much I would love to play a game like Persona 5 with a gay lead, or a trans lead. So often in this medium we see the same lead characters, and the same style of stories over and over. Player choice is great, and an easy way to increase inclusion, but I really wish that more creators in this medium would have the nerve to make a cannon gay or lesbian, or trans hero as their lead.
For instance, I'd absolutely love to play something like this, but I can't make a Persona 5-like game.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now that I think about it, what's even the logic behind the proportional argument? I mean I suppose it might be unrealistic if a game took place on planet gay where everyone was gay but I think there are much less realistic things that people don't feel the need to argue over.

Are you forgetting Bioware made an entire species sexy blue lesbians

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
I think you need to force the issue to an extent, and the issue of poor representation can easily be solved by communicating with individuals in the lgbt community to ensure your portrayals aren't offensive. Obviously if the person in charge really doesn't want to do it or is a bigot they might ignore the advice or even purposefully sabotage the portrayals, but then we should be asking if such a person should be allowed that level of control in the first place
You can't force people to create a certain kind of art. That's absurd. Like I said people need to be free to create their own art. Do more lgbtq people need to be in positions to make those games and characters? Absolutely. But you're going down a dark path if you start forcing people to make gay characters or any type of character just for the sake of representation.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I know it may sound like I'm trying to not "put in the work", but straight people don't have to put in the work to be able to purchase and play games like Persona 5.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
What am I supposed to do? I want to *play* games that star LGBT people, not make them.

For instance, I'd absolutely love to play something like this, but I can't make a Persona 5-like game.
That's great that you want to play those games. That doesn't mean force people to make games that you want to play. Starting conversations about getting people who want to make those games into a position to actually make those games is a start. But saying you need a specific number of games and that people have to make them isn't gonna further that goal.

hassler

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Neither: make great games with them as they are conceived as ideas, not from spreadsheets with goals
This. I'd love more LGBT, but I don't want to force it on devs either. It will come naturally.
BUT it would be nice to have some asexual representation in gaming. This one is definitely overlooked. Everyone can identify with some character and I feel alone in this, hah!

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Doesn't need to be a fixed percentage, it just be nice if there was more representation, and it wasn't always tropy. Flamboyant gay people exist. But so do folks who aren't flamboyant. And that's the crux of any conversation about representation. There should be a wide range of gay characters. Characters defined by their sexuality, and characters who aren't. Characters that are funny, charismatic, miserable, optimistic, pessimistic, eccentric, introverted, petty, shallow, warm, inviting.

Not every story is going to need x, y, n z, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be some effort from game devs.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's great that you want to play those games. That doesn't mean force people to make games that you want to play. Starting conversations about getting people who want to make those games into a position to actually make those games is a start. But saying you need a specific number of games and that people have to make them isn't gonna further that goal.
You can't force people to create a certain kind of art. That's absurd. Like I said people need to be free to create their own art. Do more lgbtq people need to be in positions to make those games and characters? Absolutely. But you're going down a dark path if you start forcing people to make gay characters or any type of character just for the sake of representation.
Why is it a dark path? It's not like creators don't already need to alter their vision to suit corporate desires and such as is. I find it hard to believe that there are more than a small handful of games that could claim the original vision was completely uncompromised. And hell, the reality of the situation is likely the exact opposite, where people who pitch games with LGBT, or hell, even just women protagonists are told to change it or the game won't get funded

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

This is more complicated then you are making it seem. Art and commerce are directly linked in the realm of video games. We have seen the medium time and time again chase popular trends, rather than hold true to their artistic principles. Games are also not made by singular artists striving to create a personal vision. Most AAA games are written by entire teams, with the central narrative being done by some and side quests or character stories being done by others.

So often people use the argument that games exist to make money to justify why they rarely stray from the straight white male perspective. So why is it foul play for the queer community to make themselves more vocal, to present themselves as a market worthy of being recognized. You say change has to come from within, but that isn't the only option. Companies can recognize that there is money to be made from representation and decide that they want a piece of that market. Ideally this will help increase input from LGBT creators and create more writing jobs for them.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
Why is it a dark path? It's not like creators don't already need to alter their vision to suit corporate desires and such as is. I find it hard to believe that there are more than a small handful of games that could claim the original vision was completely uncompromised. And hell, the reality of the situation is likely the exact opposite, where people who pitch games with LGBT, or hell, even just women protagonists are told to change it or the game won't get funded
And I wouldn't like if it happened the other way either. I think forcing anyone to alter their vision or what they want to create is bad. It's a dark path because forcing people to create a certain thing isn't right.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is more complicated then you are making it seem. Art and commerce are directly linked in the realm of video games. Games are not made by singular artists striving to create a personal vision. Most AAA games are written by entire teams, with the central narrative being done by one and side quests or character stories being done by another.

So often people use the argument that games exist to make money to justify why they rarely stray from the straight white male perspective. So why is it foul play for the queer community to make themselves more vocal, to present themselves as a market worthy of being recognized. You say change has to come from within, but that isn't the only option. Companies can recognize that there is money to be made from representation and decide that they want a piece of that market. Ideally this will help increase input from LGBT creators and create more writing jobs for them.
Yep. The idea that more than a tiny minority of games are the result of a singular creative vision that hasn't been tampered with at all is honestly kind of absurd

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
every character should be gay trans or black because thats what makes kotakuinaction the maddest

KotakuInAction's newest headline/top thread/whatever: "Resetera wants to force straight white male gamers to commit Gamercide, prods us to burn all of our videogame consoles and games in response to their forcing the game industry to suck the dicks of minorities. What'll these fake gamers try to do to us next?"