• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I had to manually update the TV to get the freesync update (CX 2020), the automatic update would not find it.

So yes, please not that you need to update the TV, the early firmwares do not offer freesync support.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys have any suggestions on where to get a CX for a good price in the US? If possible, I'd rather finance it too.

Not sure if I should just wait for black Friday..

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The TCL 605 had HDMI 2.0b and will be limited for next gen, so no VRR or 120Hz. Your C9 however has full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 (48gbps).
No I know it does. It's just sad. Because as per usual this tech is most beneficial to those in the more moderate/lower end ranges. Consoles will see the greatest benefits from VRR on average for consumers with the right TV's. 120hz is also a big improvement for general usage. I realize it won't matter us much in that end, but for PC users and general responsiveness/usage.

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Anybody transition from a TCL 615/625 to a LG C9 or CX?
How does the peak HDR brightness of the C9 compare to the TCL tvs?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody transition from a TCL 615/625 to a LG C9 or CX?
How does the peak HDR brightness of the C9 compare to the TCL tvs?
It doesn't, it just doesn't. From a contrast and pixel response perspective, perfect blacks etc it's still great don't get me wrong. The C9 is on another level in many areas. But the brightness and color pop of a LCD at 1000 nits like on the TCL and KS8000 is amazing in its own right.

Source I use both daily.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
My concern for cx now is still the 40gb/sec limitation now that Xbox Series X is says support support dolby vision hdr which is 12bit. The console will probably set the output to 4:2:0 automatically but if more PC games in the future starts adopting dolby vision hdr then it will be a problem. Currently only mass effect and battlefield one support dolby vision hdr but neither of them work for me.

zoggy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yea the C9 can do 4k@120hz and VRR 40-120 I believe?
nah,

www.rtings.com

LG C9 OLED Review (OLED55C9PUA, OLED65C9PUA, OLED77C9PUA)

The LG C9 OLED is an excellent TV. Like all OLED TVs, it delivers outstanding dark room performance, thanks to the perfect inky blacks and perfect black uniformi...

scroll down to VRR, at 4k its only 4k 60

www.youtube.com

Gaming Bliss - G-SYNC on LG OLED TVs!!!

Thanks to LG for sponsoring this video! Check out the LG B9 TV and save up to $500 for a limited time at http://bit.ly/2K0gnKDG-Sync now works over HDMI, but...

at 5:30

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
sucks I got a sony A1E 55" and its def too much to easily replace. Been gaming on it for a while now, no burn in. Great TV. Sad won't experience better frames next gen lol.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I went from a 55" TCL 605 to a 65"LG C9 and its amazing. The pixel perfect precision of OLED can't be beat. If you can afford it, get it calibrated to squeeze the most out of it.

Is having a TV professionally calibrated worth the $250 cost these days? I calibrate all my TVs manually without a colorimeter, using whatever apps are available out there.

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't, it just doesn't. From a contrast and pixel response perspective, perfect blacks etc it's still great don't get me wrong. The C9 is on another level in many areas. But the brightness and color pop of a LCD at 1000 nits like on the TCL and KS8000 is amazing in its own right.

Source I use both daily.
Ok thanks...that's exactly what I thought, especially after reading a few reviews on the C9/CX.

*Context: I have a 65' TCL 615 and was looking to upgrade to a more "perfect tv"*
The 615 I have is already great but I wanted better contrast, faster pixel response, VRR, 120hz but also wanted brighter HDR peak brightness and the same low latency or better. The C9/CX seemed to check out on everything except the peak brightness. But I also thought I read somewhere that OLED peak brightness is somewhat different in that the measured peak brightness might not be as high as other sets but it will still seem just as bright because of the insane contrast ratio and perfect blacks. Maybe Im misremembering.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
i don't mean to split hairs but the video says CX and he doesn't mention c9 either.

i want to get a 4k120hz tv but the research only shows CX and BX, explicity not the 9 series.

The video is about the CX, but the part I timestamped specifically says that the 2019 models can do 120hz VRR at 4K over HDMI 2.1.

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
I just bought a 38 inch ultrawide but all this oled talk lately has made me want to pick one up black Friday.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Why do we need a HDMI 2.1 120Hz screen for PS5? I mean sure it is technically going to support it but realistically only not so graphically intensive titles are going to run at 4K and 120 Hz at the same time anyways?
Did you know that indies make games for ps5 as well? It may surprise you that a game like untitled goose game plays better at 120 fps.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
nah,

www.rtings.com

LG C9 OLED Review (OLED55C9PUA, OLED65C9PUA, OLED77C9PUA)

The LG C9 OLED is an excellent TV. Like all OLED TVs, it delivers outstanding dark room performance, thanks to the perfect inky blacks and perfect black uniformi...

scroll down to VRR, at 4k its only 4k 60

www.youtube.com

Gaming Bliss - G-SYNC on LG OLED TVs!!!

Thanks to LG for sponsoring this video! Check out the LG B9 TV and save up to $500 for a limited time at http://bit.ly/2K0gnKDG-Sync now works over HDMI, but...

at 5:30
Isn't that because there's no hdmi 2.1 devices currently out?

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017

Source I use both daily.

Do you foresee a time when OLED's can match the brightness/color pop of LCD sets like the KS8000?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you foresee a time when OLED's can match the brightness/color pop of LCD sets like the KS8000?
They do in their own right because of the difference in contrast, colors are more defined on an oled to me. It's hard to explain the differences in a quantifiable way because the device you're watching on in a comparison video etc can't do it justice for many reasons. You'd have to see it side by side on two properly calibrate devices. But yea were getting closer, oled continues to get brighter, I have no idea if they'll ever be able to match what were seeing now in terms of actual luminance output. But the current oleds are certainly not the final form of LED TV's.

Your viewing environment can also heavily determine how marked this difference is. If you play in a really bright environment. I'd probably recommend going the higher end LCD route. But if you play in a moderate or dimmer environment. The Oled is something special.

I like both display technologies for different reasons. The biggest problem for me is luminance and color are correlated. So in terms of producing really bright punchy colors in bright scenes and such the QLED type tv's are relatively unmatched right now. But in darker scenes OLED's are significantly better.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So there are no HDMI 2.1 cables yet, right? I have a CX and I'm trying to figure out the best hdmi for the PS5 once it comes out.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Is having a TV professionally calibrated worth the $250 cost these days? I calibrate all my TVs manually without a colorimeter, using whatever apps are available out there.
A real pro calibration will cost you double that. You will get the max HDR brightness and color accuracy from your display. There's also custom tone maps for 1,000, 4,000 and 10,000 nits. However, out of the box, the C9 is pretty accurate. It depends how obsessive and how much you have in your budget.
Whatever you do, dont have Best Buy calibrate your C9.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
I just got a laptop with a 144hz screen and I have seen the light. I can't run many brand new games at that framerate without dropping settings too far, but I can with older games. First-person shooters and anything that involves using a mouse pointer have the biggest improvements I've noticed.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Ok thanks...that's exactly what I thought, especially after reading a few reviews on the C9/CX.

*Context: I have a 65' TCL 615 and was looking to upgrade to a more "perfect tv"*
The 615 I have is already great but I wanted better contrast, faster pixel response, VRR, 120hz but also wanted brighter HDR peak brightness and the same low latency or better. The C9/CX seemed to check out on everything except the peak brightness. But I also thought I read somewhere that OLED peak brightness is somewhat different in that the measured peak brightness might not be as high as other sets but it will still seem just as bright because of the insane contrast ratio and perfect blacks. Maybe Im misremembering.
I went from a 55" TCL 605 to an 65" C9. The magic of an OLED is you can have a perfectly black pixel next to an 800+ nit pixel. It tough for LCD to match that dynamic range. LCDs can give you some extreme HDR pop but the black level will be raised. Best advice is, go into a store and look at the TVs next to each other. I was set on an LCD but my eye preferred the look of OLED.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
interesting. pros/cons from e9/c9?
E9 has a nicer floating glass design. It really only cosmetic. Actually the E9 might have better speakers. Also some pro calibrators I know say the E9 has a "better grade OLED panel" (cleaner and a little brighter) . I actually got a great deal on an E9 because the C9s was sold out. I own both a C9 and an E9.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
A real pro calibration will cost you double that However, out of the box, the C9 is pretty accurate. It depends how obsessive and how much you have in your budget.

Closer to $500 huh? It's simply too expensive. I would happily pay $150 for something like this. Wonder when they'll fully automate the process so anyone can rent the equipment and do it themselves. Kinda like Audyssey EQ for audio.

Chapo

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I have enjoyed the hell out 1440p/120fps on my C9 using a 2080ti, quite a bit more than 4k/60fps

Can't wait to experience 4k/100+fps on an RTX 3090.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I've heard the X series OLED's have some issues with VRR (dimness and flickering). I'll probably still pick one up to replace my B7 when I can find a deal.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard the X series OLED's have some issues with VRR (dimness and flickering). I'll probably still pick one up to replace my B7 when I can find a deal.

The only flickering I've noticed ever on my LG CX is when I have BFI enabled but my output is 60hz instead of 120hz. I haven't noticed any flickering at all outside of that BFI scenario, and it'll be a non-issue with Ampere cards (though probably still a minor issue with next gen consoles for certain games if you really want that BFI I guess).

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
The only flickering I've noticed ever on my LG CX is when I have BFI enabled but my output is 60hz instead of 120hz. I haven't noticed any flickering at all outside of that BFI scenario, and it'll be a non-issue with Ampere cards (though probably still a minor issue with next gen consoles for certain games if you really want that BFI I guess).

It's not a BFI issue. It's an issue where the VRR causes an issue that results in flickering. I'll try to find a link.

Edit: found it. Article on Forbes

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a BFI issue. It's an issue where the VRR causes an issue that results in flickering. I'll try to find a link.

Edit: found it. Article on Forbes

If I'm reading the article right, they're only talking about flickering happening on the 2019 (C9, etc) models. I can't chime in about that since I don't have experience with those models.

As for the first issue it describes about color space changing with VRR features, I haven't noticed but I haven't really sought it out.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
If I'm reading the article right, they're only talking about flickering happening on the 2019 (C9, etc) models. I can't chime in about that since I don't have experience with those models.

As for the first issue it describes about color space changing with VRR features, I haven't noticed but I haven't really sought it out.

Edit: forget this post. Was indeed getting two different problems within the same article mixed up.

The instability seems to only be in 2019 models.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Article specifically mention it affecting both 2019 and 2020 models. And it's that exact rapidly changing of the gammut in very dark games that causes it to look like flickering.

Edit: Am i reading it wrong and conflating two different issues within the same article?

"The other issue some are reporting - and have captured on video - is noticeable instability/flickering in some dark gaming image areas when using VRR modes on LG's 2019 OLEDs."

It sounds like the article is discussing two separate issues, and the flickering is the second issue and only pertains to 2019 models.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
"The other issue some are reporting - and have captured on video - is noticeable instability/flickering in some dark gaming image areas when using VRR modes on LG's 2019 OLEDs."

It sounds like the article is discussing two separate issues, and the flickering is the second issue and only pertains to 2019 models.

Seems like I was too slow with my final Edit

Anyways I would be interested in the results if some cx owners on here tried to replicate the issue.

I was planning on picking one up during Black Friday sales.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Weird, I've had Xbox One X VRR enabled on my C9 since early this year and I've never seen flickering in any game. Just played through Resident Evil 7 which is super dark, and it didn't flicker at all.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I am *Exceptionally* tempted to get the 48" C9, but not until I can actually get an HDMI switch and splitter that supports HDMI 2.1.