• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
"DV game mode is not as bright at Cinema mode. LG is aware of this issue and are looking into it." That was posted in AVS forum C9 calibration thread by a Calman rep.

OP
OP

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Can anyone abit more in the know tell me my best audio settings. I have the LG SL8YG hooked up to my C9 I have my sky q box plugged directly into the box and that's fine for Dolby Atmos and no lag. My Xbox one X is what's giving me problems it a 3.1.2 soundbar so should I use PCM stereo, 5.1 or, 7.1 I'm assuming stereo or 5.1. also in the sound options of the TV under additional settings there is an option HDMI INPUT AUDIO FORMAT it was set to bitstream however changing it to PCM whilst using PCM in the options on the Xbox makes the games abit louder. What are the correct settings it's blowing my mind.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
What did you guys do for the flickering when playing games hooked up to pc with gsync enabled? I remember having the issue before and stopping it but it's here again

Edit: actually it seems to be gone now that I've switched back to 1440p from 4k and restarted the pc.

Last edited:

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone. So I'm trying to properly calibrate my Xbox One X to my C8 which I'm assuming is similar. I have my Black level Low and Xbox set to Standard/limited as is recommended. Also have 8 bit on since I heard that the Xbox will automatically switch to 10 bit when playing the right content.

My only question/concern is that when using the calibration tool on the Xbox itself it says to raise the brightness all the way up and then stop once the closed eye disappears. Well it disappears at brightness setting 60. But, many users here suggest 50 brightness. And I admit the games do look good at 50 and washed out 60 brightness even though it's going way beyond the closed eye recommendation. I guess my question is if something is wrong in my settings? Should the closed eye disappear at 50? Is my gamma off? I have that at medium.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
What did you guys do for the flickering when playing games hooked up to pc with gsync enabled? I remember having the issue before and stopping it but it's here again

Edit: actually it seems to be gone now that I've switched back to 1440p from 4k and restarted the pc.

I only notice flickering in dark images when the framerate goes way down (like sub 20-30 fps).
It seems to be a common issue with G-Sync compatible devices.

Would make sense that it's less noticable in 1440p than in 4k in some more demanding games.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Hey everyone. So I'm trying to properly calibrate my Xbox One X to my C8 which I'm assuming is similar. I have my Black level Low and Xbox set to Standard/limited as is recommended. Also have 8 bit on since I heard that the Xbox will automatically switch to 10 bit when playing the right content.

My only question/concern is that when using the calibration tool on the Xbox itself it says to raise the brightness all the way up and then stop once the closed eye disappears. Well it disappears at brightness setting 60. But, many users here suggest 50 brightness. And I admit the games do look good at 50 and washed out 60 brightness even though it's going way beyond the closed eye recommendation. I guess my question is if something is wrong in my settings? Should the closed eye disappear at 50? Is my gamma off? I have that at medium.
Hey, the Xbox black calibration tool doesn't seem super accurate. I'd suggest using a video on YouTube that displays flashing black levels to calibrate. I searched "black crush test" and found a good one. I went from 53 to 51 brightness—the former using Xbox calibration which was raising my true blacks.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
So the C9 is out of stock, but the B9 still seems to be available. Should I try to get that or wait for the CX to drop in price? (Sorry I'm sure thisbhas been asked a lot already)

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
So the C9 is out of stock, but the B9 still seems to be available. Should I try to get that or wait for the CX to drop in price? (Sorry I'm sure thisbhas been asked a lot already)

CX is a decent bit better but you're getting 90% there with the B9.

Lower peak brightness and less HDMI 2.1 ports are two main offenders but CX has other advantages too like 120hz bfi.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017

Lower peak brightness and less HDMI 2.1 ports are two main offenders but CX has other advantages too like 120hz bfi.

Since I'll probably go without a Receiver for the foreseeable future the more HDMI 2.1 ports the better. Probay gonna go for tbe CX then, it's seems to be dropping in price rather quickly.

Apr 21, 2018
My new CX just come in! its was at 1036 us dollars (from colombia pesos).

this is one o the most cleaners oleds that l ever see.

cant wait to test some real HDR now (coming from a B7, DTM and HGIG are a new world complete from me)

goaman

Oct 5, 2019
hello a question I have an oled c9 with HGIG and ps4 pro I wanted to know if in the games I have to set 700 or 800 nits in settings for the games?

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
"DV game mode is not as bright at Cinema mode. LG is aware of this issue and are looking into it." That was posted in AVS forum C9 calibration thread by a Calman rep.
It clearly is (DV Game is even brighter than DV Cinema, but less bright than DV Cinema Home) on B7, strange.
Maybe LG already fixed it for all series?

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
Hey all, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I recently bought the LG CX 48 and I'm blown away by the picture quality. That being said, I find the image too dark in HDR game mode. No matter what settings I adjust, Ghost of Tsushima is too dark. I turned Dynamic Tone Mapping on but it's still too dark, is this as simple as me not being used to the perfect blacks on OLED?

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
So for the longest time I thought the C9 was crushing the blacks in my games, most games would just be too dark. Putting the PS4 pro to RGB limited fixed the problem, I guess my AV receiver or PS4 wasn't communicating well with the TV for auto to work.

goaman

Oct 5, 2019
Hey all, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I recently bought the LG CX 48 and I'm blown away by the picture quality. That being said, I find the image too dark in HDR game mode. No matter what settings I adjust, Ghost of Tsushima is too dark. I turned Dynamic Tone Mapping on but it's still too dark, is this as simple as me not being used to the perfect blacks on OLED?
ghost of tsushima is really very dark I think it was wanted by the developers personally I did not manage to play it because I find it too dark even with the DTM activated and in HGIG it is even worse, I hope that on ps5 it will be better

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So for the longest time I thought the C9 was crushing the blacks in my games, most games would just be too dark. Putting the PS4 pro to RGB limited fixed the problem, I guess my AV receiver or PS4 wasn't communicating well with the TV for auto to work.
Yeah, the PS4 is notorious for messing up when set to Auto since launch. Was never fixed.

goaman

Oct 5, 2019
so it's more of an isolated issue with GOT, that's good to know.
yes I think the game is very contrasted suddenly the sun hurts your eyes and suddenly you can't see anything, frankly I didn't manage to play it for more than two hours and yet I wanted to, I hope that on ps5 this will be corrected.

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
yes I think the game is very contrasted suddenly the sun hurts your eyes and suddenly you can't see anything, frankly I didn't manage to play it for more than two hours and yet I wanted to, I hope that on ps5 this will be corrected.
yeah, I've 1/2 way through the game and I just upgraded my TV for next gen. I'm probably going to power through. It does suck though, every game should offer an internal HDR display calibration to avoid problems like this.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't help that LG call their setting Low and High rather than Limited or Full.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
ghost of tsushima is really very dark I think it was wanted by the developers personally I did not manage to play it because I find it too dark even with the DTM activated and in HGIG it is even worse, I hope that on ps5 it will be better

GOT had an issue where it hasn't really been exposed properly for HDR, They've put in that typical brightness adjustment, but it comes of perhaps a little darker than it should be. That's a relatively common problem. We had to build in some additional control in Ori to solve that.

Nov 15, 2017

Since I'll probably go without a Receiver for the foreseeable future the more HDMI 2.1 ports the better. Probay gonna go for tbe CX then, it's seems to be dropping in price rather quickly.

Just fyi, i'm not sure if there are B9 models with fewer Hdmi 2.1 ports but mine has 4, just like the CX!

guill

Nov 14, 2017
Hi guys, would like to ask something regarding Oled, perhaps you can provide me your feedback.

Im from Panama, local retailers here never brought the C9, only 4 for showroom and the 55' was going for $2400. The original price for B9 55' was $1700, now they are selling it for $1300, my guess they need to clear inventory. Looks like the wont bring CX here, they already said you can only order the CX 65 and 77 but by special request.

Would a B9 be a good option to hook it up to a PS5 and a 3080? Here we dont have Vizio, Sony and Samsung are popular here but not sure what models they have right now.

Thanks!

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Hi.I bought an LG CX for the living room about a month ago and only now got around to connecting my Nintendo Switch to it. I followed some adjustment guides and then further adjusted it to my liking, and the picture looks amazing and feels great to play on! However, I notice that on certain scenes, I can see an auto contrast or dimming feature going on when the Black Levels setting is set on anything other than Auto. Why is that? This is the only way I can get those perfect, deep blacks that OLED is known for and on the opposite end, I'm getting a lot of gray whites. Is there a way to get a stable picture that isn't trying to auto-adjust brightness all the time?

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a a C9 a few days ago. Its on firmware 03.50.31. Any reason to be cautious updating or should I go ahead and pull the trigger?

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys, would like to ask something regarding Oled, perhaps you can provide me your feedback.

Im from Panama, local retailers here never brought the C9, only 4 for showroom and the 55' was going for $2400. The original price for B9 55' was $1700, now they are selling it for $1300, my guess they need to clear inventory. Looks like the wont bring CX here, they already said you can only order the CX 65 and 77 but by special request.

Would a B9 be a good option to hook it up to a PS5 and a 3080? Here we dont have Vizio, Sony and Samsung are popular here but not sure what models they have right now.

Thanks!
I think the only big difference is the processor, which affects image treatment a bit. Remember reading a few posts about how C9 might have a better picture out of the box but B9 may match it with proper settings or calibration.
It also has HDMI 2.1.
If the price difference with a C series is too much or that the unit is unavailable altogether I suppose the B9 will be just fine, including for next gen.

guill

Nov 14, 2017
I think the only big difference is the processor, which affects image treatment a bit. Remember reading a few posts about how C9 might have a better picture out of the box but B9 may match it with proper settings or calibration.
It also has HDMI 2.1.
If the price difference with a C series is too much or that the unit is unavailable altogether I suppose the B9 will be just fine, including for next gen.
Thanks for your response, yeah C9 is too expensive for me, they are selling the 2 they still have for 2100 (showroom units) so they are heavily used.
I checked today and they upgrade the oled bonus, now they are offering the B9 55 same price 1300, but they are including for free a 43' UHD LG tv, checked it and it goes for 350, perhaps Ican flip it for 300 and further reduce the cost.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Late to the party with this thread. Do we have definitive settings for a LG B9 tv?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know this is really specific, but has anyone been able to get the new firmware for their C9 that fixes the RTX 30XX gsync issues? Last I heard you had to contact them directly which is weird. Don't really feel like doing the whole engineering menu thing.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Does anyone know if a 1080ti works with a C9? In terms of the C9's features - VRR / G-sync, 120hz, etc.?

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if a 1080ti works with a C9? In terms of the C9's features - VRR / G-sync, 120hz, etc.?

G-Sync won't work on an OLED C9 with a 1080ti, since it's a feature of the RTX 20XX and 30XX series, and (specifically) GTX 16XX series.

This is because GTX 1080ti (1070 and 1060 also) doesn't have VRR over HDMI, which you need for G-Sync to work on the OLED C9, also, since the GTX1080 is not an HDMI 2.1source, you won't get 4K120Hz. Your best resolutions/refresh rates are 4K60Hz or 1440p@120Hz though

Last edited:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
G-Sync won't work on an OLED C9 with a 1080ti, since it's a feature of the RTX 20XX and 30XX series, and (specifically) GTX 16XX series.

This is because GTX 1080ti (1070 and 1060 also) doesn't have VRR over HDMI, which you need for G-Sync to work on the OLED C9, also, since the GTX1080 is not an HDMI 2.1source, you won't get 4K120Hz. Your best resolutions/refresh rates are 4K60Hz or 1440p@120Hz though

Thank you. But Isn't there a way to use the 1080ti's display port over to the C9 in order to enable 4K120hz? AFAIK, the 1080ti's display ports allow for that, so is there any way that could be utilized?

The second option is that this guy managed to do 4K120hz at 4:2:0 rather than the 4:4:4 by adding in custom resolution through DRU: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/please-help-with-120hz-refresh-4k-on-1080ti.266428/

Couldn't that also be an option?

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. But Isn't there a way to use the 1080ti's display port over to the C9 in order to enable 4K120hz? AFAIK, the 1080ti's display ports allow for that, so is there any way that could be utilized?

The second option is that this guy managed to do 4K120hz at 4:2:0 rather than the 4:4:4 by adding in custom resolution through DRU: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/please-help-with-120hz-refresh-4k-on-1080ti.266428/

Couldn't that also be an option?

There's a club3d Displayport to HDMI active adapter that should let you enable 4k120hz on the C9 with a 1080ti but it seems to not be too reliable unfortunately, reading comments about it: for some people it works, for some it doesn't, for some people works at first and then it doesn't.

But this adapter won't let you use G-sync on the C9 either, since afaik G-sync over DP works differently than G-Sync/VRR over HDMI