• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I too see all the squares on my C8. Not profesionally calibrated, just the common know settings.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I don't mean professionally calibrated. I meant don't apply straight up stupid and objectively incorrect settings and you'll be fine.

I didn't realize this concern stemmed from that Quantum YouTube channel. Literally one of the very worst sources of home theater "information" on the internet. Avoid it at all costs.
Right, Quantum's idea of "calibrating" is setting TVs to vivid and turning the color up to 80.

Last edited:

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean professionally calibrated. I meant don't apply straight up stupid and objectively incorrect settings and you'll be fine.

I didn't realize this concern stemmed from that Quantum YouTube channel. Literally one of the very worst sources of home theater "information" on the internet. Avoid it at all costs.
I wasn't aware that channel is some doofus spreading nonsense. Good to know and will stay clear of that in the future.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
I was watching a 4K episode of Yellowstone, and in the night scenes the sky shows some color banding (I believe that's what it's called). I dropped my brightness down to 43, that's where it disappeared. Should I keep it like that or should I stick to the proposed 50?

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Kind of an odd question but is there any way to have audio coming out of both the optical port and the stereo miniplug (headphone jack)? I want to hear stuff coming out of the sound bar (which has no audio outputs) and have my KORFX vest going which requires sound from the stereo miniplug/headphone jack.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I wanted to play with the TruMotion setting because the judder on TLOU2 while panning the camera was getting to me. However, my options are not the same options I see online. I can only set it to 'off' or 'user'. And 'user' only allows me to set 'oled motion' on or off. I don't see the de-judder or de-blur settings I see on screenshots of other people. Any clue what's going on?

edit: ah, found it, it's unavailable in game mode.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was watching a 4K episode of Yellowstone, and in the night scenes the sky shows some color banding (I believe that's what it's called). I dropped my brightness down to 43, that's where it disappeared. Should I keep it like that or should I stick to the proposed 50?
On YouTube? If you're seeing banding it's usually because of a lower quality source. I wouldn't lower brightness. You can try using the "Smooth Gradation" feature to reduce/eliminate banding, but you might want to keep it on "Low" because it can reduce fine detail as well.

Pigs

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any issues with the Youtube apps audio being out of sync? Whenever I try to use it the audio is behind the video and all the audio sync options just makes it worse. I have the C9 hooked up to my receiver over HDMI with earc. Youtube is the only app that give me this issue. Games are fine with the Xbox, PC, PS4 and my AppleTV works fine too. It's just annoying because I want to use it to watch 4K videos without having to turn on my PC.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Is there a way for the info banner showing the input, audio codex, time, and resolution for what you are watching to appear with one command from the remote? I have to hit the "...." Button near the 0 one then scroll to INFO to get that.

Is there no way to get this normally on the Magic remote?

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to play with the TruMotion setting because the judder on TLOU2 while panning the camera was getting to me. However, my options are not the same options I see online. I can only set it to 'off' or 'user'. And 'user' only allows me to set 'oled motion' on or off. I don't see the de-judder or de-blur settings I see on screenshots of other people. Any clue what's going on?

edit: ah, found it, it's unavailable in game mode.
Weirdly enough i found that dropping TLOU2 in-game motion blur setting to 3/10 has helped with camera panning feel. It's not getting perceptually smoother of course but i think there is just more visual information for eye to catch, so it feels more solid. Have you tried that?

Feels like Sony first party is sometimes overdoing it with MB... i remember dropping it from defaults in Spider-Man on my old LCD.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
On YouTube? If you're seeing banding it's usually because of a lower quality source. I wouldn't lower brightness. You can try using the "Smooth Gradation" feature to reduce/eliminate banding, but you might want to keep it on "Low" because it can reduce fine detail as well.

No, this was a video file on an external hdd, and it's 4k, so that's why I was thrown off that it might have been because if the source.

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
Sort of a repost from another thread: I bought the B9 a little while ago. Very pleased.
I'm a bit anxious of getting burn-ins at some point. Is there any way to change logo colours somehow (i.e. Netflix app, red logo) to greyish or something? I just want to take care of the TV as much as possible.

I already have logo luminance at high.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Am I supposed to know who that is? Was just the first video on the subject in search engines.

They basically has a massive axe to grind against all things LG, I don't really know why. Perhaps he was fed up of the OLED snobbery that does exist, it can be a little exasperating when they are discussed as the only option.
Lots of misinformation (such as wear sunglasses when using a Samsung to improve black level) and an overall super toxic attitude, this misinformation is also fed by another reasonably well-known channel, who is not toxic, but equally as clickbaity and misinformed.
Their current crusade which has come after several variants of this which have all turned out to be incorrect is that the LG sets cannot do HDR , because they don't support "Freesync Premium Pro". This is patently incorrect. They can do both with no issue, Premium pro has some HDR specific features along the lines of Dolby Vision or HGIG.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone sees this, sends it to them and I end up the subject of a rant.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sort of a repost from another thread: I bought the B9 a little while ago. Very pleased.
I'm a bit anxious of getting burn-ins at some point. Is there any way to change logo colours somehow (i.e. Netflix app, red logo) to greyish or something? I just want to take care of the TV as much as possible.

Preventing color over-saturation will help, the TV is colour accurate when Colour us set to 50. If you are set higher than this then pixels be working harder more often.
Beyond that, keeping OLED light down as low as you can for SDR content. Perhaps try keeping to Expert Dark as your default setting, and simply switching to Default Bright when you just can't see due to ambient light

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
Preventing color over-saturation will help, the TV is colour accurate when Colour us set to 50. If you are set higher than this then pixels be working harder more often.
Beyond that, keeping OLED light down as low as you can for SDR content. Perhaps try keeping to Expert Dark as your default setting, and simply switching to Default Bright when you just can't see due to ambient light
I already have that. Thanks though. I was just hoping there was some hidden... functionality. Because orange and red seem to cause more burn-in problems.

Do you think playing Warzone should be a problem (hundreds of hours)? The HUD is minimalistic. The only bright colour that's static (most of the time) is the blue health bars in the bottom left.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I already have that. Thanks though. I was just hoping there was some hidden... functionality. Because orange and red seem to cause more burn-in problems.

Do you think playing Warzone should be a problem (hundreds of hours)? The HUD is minimalistic. The only bright colour that's static (most of the time) is the blue health bars in the bottom left.

If you are playing in HDR, then you will be fine, the hud us unlikely to go outside of SRGB. The HDR is really well put together there.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Weirdly enough i found that dropping TLOU2 in-game motion blur setting to 3/10 has helped with camera panning feel. It's not getting perceptually smoother of course but i think there is just more visual information for eye to catch, so it feels more solid. Have you tried that?

Feels like Sony first party is sometimes overdoing it with MB... i remember dropping it from defaults in Spider-Man on my old LCD.

I put motion blur on 0 and that helped a lot. I think I'm getting used to it now.

filmfredrik

Jul 2, 2020
Most of the games I play on my PS4 Pro and LG B9 are in HDR, and they look phenomenal!

But I play 2 SDR Games - Control and Journey.

Should I use Gamma 2.2 or BT.1886 for these SDR Games? I'm in Game Mode of course.

Also what's the philosophy on OLED Light here? For regular SDR content (like Netflix) I use 25, since that seems to be around the 100 nits it's calibrated for.

But are SDR games also calibrated for just 100 nits? They just feel way too dark to me on OLED Light 25?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I've been holding off on the latest update for my C9 for weeks. I don't know where to check if updates are safe. Am I good?

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Most of the games I play on my PS4 Pro and LG B9 are in HDR, and they look phenomenal!

But I play 2 SDR Games - Control and Journey.

Should I use Gamma 2.2 or BT.1886 for these SDR Games? I'm in Game Mode of course.

Also what's the philosophy on OLED Light here? For regular SDR content (like Netflix) I use 25, since that seems to be around the 100 nits it's calibrated for.

But are SDR games also calibrated for just 100 nits? They just feel way too dark to me on OLED Light 25?

I use BT 1886 for SDR, including games. Recommended.

You shouldn't worry. Keep brightness at default for SDR content. I've been using these sets since 2 years ago, with daily use (especially BR games as Warzone and Blackout before that), no issues whatsoever. Keep Screen Shift On, I've always used Low Logo Luminance. Enjoy it!

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Hello all
Apologies if this has already been asked but when you guys use your C9 on your PS4 Pro's do you set RGB to full or limited?

Uncle Fester

Banned
Sep 30, 2019
Anyone with a B9 that has calibrated their display Using Calman Home for LG? I want to make sure the B9 has the internal pattern generator and can be used with Autocal before I spend the money on a new laptop, software and colorimeter.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
So without changing any settings my PS4 stopped turning on my tv when I turned the PS4 on. Then I changed a setting I don't recall the name of and then my tv started turning on my PS4 which I don't want it to do. So I turned that off.

how do I get my PS4 to turn on my tv but not vice versa?

Deleted member 51957

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I have some tv/movies that are only available on DVD. Any recommendations on what settings to use to make DVDs pop as much as they can ?

Deleted member 51957

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Run them through the Gigapixel video AI app (has a 30 day free trial I think). Default profile. Have it render out to a 4K image.

Ah, I primarily meant playing the DVDs straight off my Xbox one X and through my TV, and which C9 settings I should flip on while watching. I haven't ripped the DVDs or anything yet, but may look into this app cause it looks kinda sweet. Thanks!

Uncle Fester

Banned
Sep 30, 2019
I calibrated my B9! I used Calman Home for LG and an i1 Display Pro Plus. Came out great. I did ISF Bright, ISF Dark, Game, HDR Cinema, HDR Game and Dolby Vision Cinema. Rtings rated the B9 pretty poorly for out of the box settings so I was anxious to see the difference. I can happily say it made quite a change. The only thing I was hoping for that didn't happen was for color banding in hdr game mode to improve. It's still poor in the sky of a lot of games. Ghost of Tsushima especially during certain times of day. I do think it's more of a problem with the PS4 or game than it is the tv as I don't have the problem with movies or tv shows. And my X900F has color banding as well in the sky. I definitely recommend either calibrating your tv yourself or getting it done. If you have a 2019 or 2020 lg oled it is really easy using the internal pattern generator and AutoCal.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Ah, I primarily meant playing the DVDs straight off my Xbox one X and through my TV, and which C9 settings I should flip on while watching. I haven't ripped the DVDs or anything yet, but may look into this app cause it looks kinda sweet. Thanks!

No worries. Yeah, it's almost a miracle worker (the results look about as good as say, an HDTV broadcast, from the few DVDs I've converted).

Goodluck

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
So without changing any settings my PS4 stopped turning on my tv when I turned the PS4 on. Then I changed a setting I don't recall the name of and then my tv started turning on my PS4 which I don't want it to do. So I turned that off.

how do I get my PS4 to turn on my tv but not vice versa?
I could never even get that to work from the get-go, but I'd love to know the answer to your query as well.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Do people use HGIG on the pro with a C9? I just got mine and am trying to set it up for Tsushima, it looks a bit different from my B7 currently.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Am I correct in thinking that when an input is labeled as PC Mode, that there is no benefit to the Game Mode picture option, and should probably choose Expert (Dark Room) as the starting point?

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry if it's been mentioned in this thread, but do you guys see horizontal lines across the entire screen when looking at solid bright areas in games like ghost of tsushima on your oled panels?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do people use HGIG on the pro with a C9? I just got mine and am trying to set it up for Tsushima, it looks a bit different from my B7 currently.

Yep, HGIG is the way to go (LG CX here) for the vast majority of games I've found. I might consider instead setting Dynamic Tone Mapping to "On" if I come across a game that is far too dark in HDR, but I haven't come across one that didn't look best in HGIG yet.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Am I correct in thinking that when an input is labeled as PC Mode, that there is no benefit to the Game Mode picture option, and should probably choose Expert (Dark Room) as the starting point?
Game mode still gives you the additional burn in measures for game HUDS and the HGiG option.
I wouldn't recommend PC mode if you play any HDR content ,

Super Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
London
There's quite a bit of discussion on it on reddit and avsforum but it's not widely known. My panel is perfect otherwise. Maybe not everyone notices it, or maybe it truly doesn't affect all panels.

I've noticed that on Disney+ watching Avengers Endgame when Captain Marvel appears in from of Tony stark at the start of the movie, only time I've seen that issue.

Game mode still gives you the additional burn in measures for game HUDS and the HGiG option.
I wouldn't recommend PC mode if you play any HDR content ,

So I should remove the PC label from the input?

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've noticed that on Disney+ watching Avengers Endgame when Captain Marvel appears in from of Tony stark at the start of the movie, only time I've seen that issue.

So I should remove the PC label from the input?
Yeah, I do. If you are very close and can see chroma sub sampling; then you may not want to.
It's either chroma subsampling for RGB content, or banding for HDR content. Pick your poison

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Sorry if it's been mentioned in this thread, but do you guys see horizontal lines across the entire screen when looking at solid bright areas in games like ghost of tsushima on your oled panels?

I did run into a thing with the game where sometimes when opening the map and scrolling up or down there'd be a horizontal black line with trails around the bottom third of the screen, but I haven't seen that in any other game or media source connected to my C9 so I honestly think it's just a glitch in the game.

Have you seen it happen in any other games?