• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
Sometimes when playing through Steam's Big Picture Mode, both my C9 (secondary display) and monitor both cut to black screen although the computer is running. I think the culprit is G-Sync especially since my monitor isnt G-Sync compatible. Anyone else have this issue?

Secondly I had this weird flicker when also using the C9 as a display but it went away when I removed all internet connectivity from the TV which is rather odd.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Sometimes when playing through Steam's Big Picture Mode, both my C9 (secondary display) and monitor both cut to black screen although the computer is running. I think the culprit is G-Sync especially since my monitor isnt G-Sync compatible. Anyone else have this issue?

Secondly I had this weird flicker when also using the C9 as a display but it went away when I removed all internet connectivity from the TV which is rather odd.
For the second thing, was it like, weird frame skip that happens randomly every 5 minutes? If so, it's the "live plus" setting that reports user data. If you turn it off it goes away. Disabling internet stops that setting from working, so thats why that works too.

Man they really ruined the fireworks screensaver by adding text on the c9. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

OP
OP

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
The C9 is better but they're pretty comparable. The biggest difference is the B9 is significantly dimmer, slightly worse near-black performance, and will likely receive updates later and less frequently than the C9.

Both support full HDMI 2.1 at 48gb/s.

I personally think it's worth it to spend a few hundred more for the C9, for the increased brightness alone, but you can't go wrong with either.
I've just bought a b9 for the bedroom I have a c9 downstairs I had them side by side playing the same footage and I can safely say the difference in brightness is not even an argument you can barely tell. The b9 will receive the same updates as the C9

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've just bought a b9 for the bedroom I have a c9 downstairs I had them side by side playing the same footage and I can safely say the difference in brightness is not even an argument you can barely tell. The b9 will receive the same updates as the C9
I thought it was a significant difference, but to each their own. Measurements show a pretty large difference as well. That doesn't mean it will be noticeable to everyone though.

As for updates, I wouldn't count on the B9 receiving the same updates as the C9. My B8 has always received a completely different update schedule vs the C8.

guitarNINJA

Dec 30, 2017
EvilBoris, have you seen anyone use the CAC-1085 with a long distance optical HDMI 2.1 cable? I'm attempting to use mine to go 50 feet from a 2080TI to my C9, and the image cuts in and out several times before ultimately failing. I haven't had time to do serious digging into the issue yet, but so far it seems to happen regardless of the resolution and refresh rate I set. The cable works fine at 4k60HDR coming straight out of the 2080TI, yet fails under the same circumstance with the CAC-1085. Looking at the avsforum C9 gaming discussion, I haven't seen anyone try and use such a cable with it.

To be clear, this is the cable I'm using.

codeKnighter

Mar 15, 2019
Probably still worth it since you will be able to try Autocal and if you don't like the result you can still use the same software just in manual mode( just will have to reset mode you calibrating for each input you are going to use or do a complete factory reset to clear all at once ). You basically just select different workflow and follow instructions. You can try using open source software or alternatives but that's another can of worms imo.

Issues i had with Autocal include completely messed up 3D LUT for no obvious reason in SDR multiple times( once i assume it messed up because i used too many data points to take measures from... not sure, result was super darkened image, second time it was complete mystery to me and colors were just whacked all around ), for HDR Autocal leaves a tiny green tint for grayscale even if all the graphs show almost perfect results with tiny delta error(dE) and also messed up skin colors( or rather complete desaturation of skin tones.... people were looking like corpses in the morgue ), also had crushed blacks for no obvious reason either, so had to re-do calibration once again.

Manual is the way to go, but Auto still worth trying i think... maybe issues i had are some kind of quirks of my setup, meter etc etc etc. Though there are quite a few complaints about it on AVSForum as well.

Just as a little update, I finally bit the bullet and purchased CALMAN Home; much as you said, it was worth it as (at least according to the pre-calibration measurements) the dE of the game mode was off the charts; I was cautious to follow your advice and only apply it to game mode; the yellow tint is gone without introducing any of the nuclear blue that I hate so much, and I still have the accurate enough expert presets untouched for movies, etc.

For HDR just wanted to confirm with you guys, is it normal to have such a reduction in peak brightness after calibration? initial measurements were in the range of 780 nits initially vs the 690 nits Calman reports after calibration; I guess this is the tradeoff of moving the white point to its correct value, but still it is quite the difference.

Did I make a mistake by not running autocal AFTER disabling the autodimming features from the service menu (I don't have access to it so I guess I would need to purchase a remote then).

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Just as a little update, I finally bit the bullet and purchased CALMAN Home; much as you said, it was worth it as (at least according to the pre-calibration measurements) the dE of the game mode was off the charts; I was cautious to follow your advice and only apply it to game mode; the yellow tint is gone without introducing any of the nuclear blue that I hate so much, and I still have the accurate enough expert presets untouched for movies, etc.

For HDR just wanted to confirm with you guys, is it normal to have such a reduction in peak brightness after calibration? initial measurements were in the range of 780 nits initially vs the 690 nits Calman reports after calibration; I guess this is the tradeoff of moving the white point to its correct value, but still it is quite the difference.

Did I make a mistake by not running autocal AFTER disabling the autodimming features from the service menu (I don't have access to it so I guess I would need to purchase a remote then).
Wait wait... why you stopped at just game mode calibration? I don't remember saying anything about only calibrating game mode :)

You probably should do the same for Expert Dark just with 2.4 or BT.1886 gamma for SDR movies and apps and HDR Cinema too.

Don't worry about auto dimming stuff, it supposed to show itself at 100% white full field or close to it and i have yet to see it in action. When you calibrating you only should use 10% window and that is sustained( well reasonable amount of time at least ) so peak brightness measures should be correct and your 690nits for Game mode sound about right( i think HDR10 Game and Dolby Vision Game mode do not use Peak Brightness display capability that's why their readings are a bit lower ), HDR Cinema should be a bit brighter ~710-740 nits.

You followed Portrait Displays youtube tutorials right?

codeKnighter

Mar 15, 2019
Wait wait... why you stopped at just game mode calibration? I don't remember saying anything about only calibrating game mode :)

You probably should do the same for Expert Dark just with 2.4 or BT.1886 gamma for SDR movies and apps and HDR Cinema too.

Don't worry about auto dimming stuff, it supposed to show itself at 100% white full field or close to it and i have yet to see it in action. When you calibrating you only should use 10% window and that is sustained( well reasonable amount of time at least ) so peak brightness measures should be correct and your 690nits for Game mode sound about right( i think HDR10 Game and Dolby Vision Game mode do not use Peak Brightness display capability that's why their readings are a bit lower ), HDR Cinema should be a bit brighter ~710-740 nits.

You followed Portrait Displays youtube tutorials right?

Yup, I followed the official videos step by step; the only thing I did differently was calibrating the SDR Colorspace via a time based IR profile, leaving it on that for about 4 hours using the 10hr SDR video they provided.

I tried that because using Lighting Lut still netted an average dE of around 3 for colorspace and after testing it, I felt it was still a little bit too yellow tinted. After that I got it down to 1.8 (of course, I am just trusting my eyes and the autocal numbers there, don't know how accurate the latter are as I'm just using a borrowed 2019 x1 rite pro, no spectro).

Rest of the profiles (again, trusting Calman numbers here) had a MUCH MUCH lower dErrors before calibration than game mode, the difference was stark...because of that and how accurate they are supposed to be from the get go (as opposed to game mode), I was afraid at first of running Autocal for all of them, leaving them a bit worse off or triggering my OCD trying to find any tiny postcal blemishes from a random autocal error :P

After using the software though, and as you mentioned, worst case it is as easy as resetting the DCC (doesn't take long at all) and try again, so I will follow your suggestion and try now with Expert Dark and HDR Cinema, and see if it goes as well as with game mode.

Thank you for easing my mind with the ASBL stuff and the peak brightness; in the Portrait Display video they reached 750 post cal, so I was betting on panel lottery for the divergence, but as you mentioned there is no peak brightness control in game mode, and they were calibrating Cinema HDR, so that could be a major factor..

So far so good though!I was 99% satisfied with the transition from LED to OLED, I was only a bit annoyed with the extremely yellow whites in warm2/Game mode and this more than solved it. I am sure I will fall into the trap of manual calibrations soon enough, but until then my mind is at ease :P

Zeth

Feb 8, 2018
EvilBoris, have you seen anyone use the CAC-1085 with a long distance optical HDMI 2.1 cable? I'm attempting to use mine to go 50 feet from a 2080TI to my C9, and the image cuts in and out several times before ultimately failing. I haven't had time to do serious digging into the issue yet, but so far it seems to happen regardless of the resolution and refresh rate I set. The cable works fine at 4k60HDR coming straight out of the 2080TI, yet fails under the same circumstance with the CAC-1085. Looking at the avsforum C9 gaming discussion, I haven't seen anyone try and use such a cable with it.

I have the exact same issue. Please let me know if you find a solution. I may be able to make a 25ft cable reach so that's the next thing I'll try. I'm using a normal hdmi though, no optical.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Do you guys keep pixel shift on?

I do.

I watch a lot of podcasts in which there's usually a big logo in the middle of the screen, that's two hours of a big logo in one spot. So I'd better leave it on, you won't notice it anyways, screen darkening is also on when there is a static image for too long.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Is Ghost of Tsushima just messed up in terms of contrast or do I have some settings wrong? There are moments in the initial sequence where you're sneaking through a town at night where it legitimately felt like I could barely see things.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Is Ghost of Tsushima just messed up in terms of contrast or do I have some settings wrong? There are moments in the initial sequence where you're sneaking through a town at night where it legitimately felt like I could barely see things.

Hard to say without knowing the settings you have. And since GOT releases tomorrow, might be a bit of a wait until more people have it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Hard to say without knowing the settings you have. And since GOT releases tomorrow, might be a bit of a wait until more people have it.

Here's all the relevant settings I'm using for the HDR Game Mode:

OLED Light 100
Contrast 100
Brightness 50
Colour 55
Dynamic Contrast/Tone Mapping Off
Gamma 2.2
White Balance Warm 2
Black Level Low (PS4 on Limited)

Am I doing something wrong here?

But, yeah, might have to wait for some more impressions as well. Someone else in the OT agrees with me, though, so might be a game issue (or intentional art design thing, perhaps).

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Here's all the relevant settings I'm using for the HDR Game Mode:

OLED Light 100
Contrast 100
Brightness 50
Colour 55
Dynamic Contrast/Tone Mapping Off
Gamma 2.2
White Balance Warm 2
Black Level Low (PS4 on Limited)

Am I doing something wrong here?

But, yeah, might have to wait for some more impressions as well. Someone else in the OT agrees with me, though, so might be a game issue (or intentional art design thing, perhaps).

Seems right. Maybe it is the game. I haven't picked mine up yet...prob tomorrow evening.

guitarNINJA

Dec 30, 2017
I have the exact same issue. Please let me know if you find a solution. I may be able to make a 25ft cable reach so that's the next thing I'll try. I'm using a normal hdmi though, no optical.
Are you using an HDMI 2.1 cable? I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as a non-optical HDMI 2.1 cable at that length.

I have a 2 meter HDMI 2.1 cable coming tomorrow that I'll try. If that resolves the issue, this fiber cable is getting returned. The manufacturer advertises an unlimited warranty on it. May have to put that to the test.

Last edited:

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
For the second thing, was it like, weird frame skip that happens randomly every 5 minutes? If so, it's the "live plus" setting that reports user data. If you turn it off it goes away. Disabling internet stops that setting from working, so thats why that works too.

Man they really ruined the fireworks screensaver by adding text on the c9. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?
I found a setting that so far has eliminated the issue for me at the moment, General > Additional Settings > Advertising Cookies > Off.

That being said the first issue happened again today so I updated my Nvidia drivers, if it isnt that then it just might be my GFX card or the TV itself.

Uncle Fester

Banned
Sep 30, 2019
Same for me. Infamous Second Son was the same way. That game is super dark. I think it's just how Sucker Punch likes it.

edit: LG B9

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry noted that the HDR is very contrasty.

TheRealMjeed

Oct 30, 2017
has anyone asked this before? I searched the thread for mClassic upscaler for Switch but no mention of it so here it goes..

I have the C9 and got the mClassic upsclaer for my Switch to upres to 1440p. The thing is it's still showing 1080p on TV no matter what. Tried the PC mode and it still nothing..
I know the thing works cuz if I set the Switch to 720p it will upres to 1080 without a problem so has anyone got the mClassic to work on their C9/CX ??

NecroMorrius

Nov 7, 2017

I was just reading the thread for this very reason. HDR seems far too contrasty.

Using an LG CX game mode, I've now put OLED brightness and contrast to 90 and bumped the in game brightness to 70 and it looks better.

It almost looks better if you set a purposefully mismatch ithe black level/RGB range (e.g. limited on PS4, high black level on TV) to elevate the blacks abnormally. The weirdest thing is there's a contrast option in the game settings to make it MORE contrasty.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
So I just got this TV today and after using the settings at rtings, I fired through a few games to test it out, as well as Netflix. COD Warzone looks just fine to me, and the "game" preset is actually really insane as far as input lag goes. The screen alone has me hitting more of my shots which is hilarious to me. Anyways, with both TLOU2 (HDR on for PS4) and 4K Netflix, the black colors are VERY black. The scenes overall are extremely dark and even after messing around the settings, it's still an issue. Is this a common occurrence? I saw some stuff online that it takes time for this effect to go away ... how valid is that?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I just got this TV today and after using the settings at rtings, I fired through a few games to test it out, as well as Netflix. COD Warzone looks just fine to me, and the "game" preset is actually really insane as far as input lag goes. The screen alone has me hitting more of my shots which is hilarious to me. Anyways, with both TLOU2 (HDR on for PS4) and 4K Netflix, the black colors are VERY black. The scenes overall are extremely dark and even after messing around the settings, it's still an issue. Is this a common occurrence? I saw some stuff online that it takes time for this effect to go away ... how valid is that?
Sounds like OLED black crush.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
You should check brightness patterns in a dark room while playing from USB drive for both SDR and HDR.

SDR -> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-...48496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html, download pattern set
Basic Settings -> Black Clipping pattern, you should see flashing stripes starting from 17 and 17 should be almost impossible to see

HDR -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FedPF8Emh_jxqD-odGW7iE6IR6ap_usr/view?usp=sharing
You should see flashing rectangles starting from 66( should be a bit easier to see than 17 stripe from SDR pattern )

You should leave TV brightness setting at default(50) generally, but if you see severe black crush in patterns then you probably should up that a bit, but if you do so i would say recheck patterns again with default setting after i dunno ~30-50 hours of regular TV usage and leave it there if there is no crush anymore.

guitarNINJA

Dec 30, 2017

I've tried now with a 2m cable, and the CAC-1085 is working fine. Weirdly, it initially wanted to run in 4096x2160, and trying to set it to the native resolution of 3840x2160 resulted in bars on the left and right.

I followed this guide and was then able to set 3840x2160 without black bars.

r/Monitors - Custom resolutions on Club 3D CAC-1085 with LG OLED C9/CX

28 votes and 74 comments so far on Reddit

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
So wait. I was about to pick up a cx or c9 and now I'm seeing oled kind of sucks for black detail. So no matter what oled will crush blacks, or it wont if i keep changing the settings based on the game? Is this true? If so i might just go with the best lcd out there instead.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So wait. I was about to pick up a cx or c9 and now I'm seeing oled kind of sucks for black detail. So no matter what oled will crush blacks, or it wont if i keep changing the settings based on the game? Is this true? If so i might just go with the best lcd out there instead.
OLEDs have no problem with black detail at all if they're configured correctly.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

This is not true at all lol If you say this for the Quantum TV video that guy is a fool, see how he doesn't even use any professional equipment, dude just shows 2 TVs through his cam and that's it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Oof this guy clearly has incorrect black level settings. Happened to me by accident when I configured HDR settings but forgot to A-Z my SDR settings and had incorrect black level.

It's not that, the guy's videos are all about how much LG OLED sucks. With no professional tools to back that up, of course.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I was noticing a weird frameskip occasionally happening every 5-10 minutes while gaming. At first I thought the game was just glitching, but Ive seen it in multiple games. Checking capture footage shows no issue, so it's def the TV. Did a bit of googling and apparently it's because of the live plus option being enabled. (General, additional settings, live plus). I turned it off and so far so good, fingers crossed. Anyone else notice this?
Omg I think you might have fixed my issue with this! I would get the frame skip at least every 5-6 minutes and it was incredibly annoying. Haven't seen it since when gaming.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LMAO did I just see someone unironically share a QUANTUM TV video? Comeon guys
Am I supposed to know who that is? Was just the first video on the subject in search engines.
I can see/differentiate all the squares starting at 1 from the absolute black background perfectly with my c9.
That's good to know.
Yes.

Like I said, any properly calibrated OLED will display these just fine.
So if one can't spend hundreds of euros/dollars they won't have properly calibrated OLED and won't see them?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Am I supposed to know who that is? Was just the first video on the subject in search engines.

That's good to know.

So if one can't spend hundreds of euros/dollars they won't have properly calibrated OLED and won't see them?
I havent had my OLED professionally calibrated and I can see all the squares.

That video you posted, he has the dynamic contrast setting on high, his brightness level is on 68 (it should be on 50, brightness raises the black level, so he obviously has a black level mismatch going on too). The youtuber in general is well known for having waaaaaaay out of whack obviously wrong fucked up settings and claiming his tvs are "calibrated".

This is God of War on my C9 with the correct settings, (not professionally calibrated)

I2I4J7c.jpg

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean professionally calibrated. I meant don't apply straight up stupid and objectively incorrect settings and you'll be fine.

I didn't realize this concern stemmed from that Quantum YouTube channel. Literally one of the very worst sources of home theater "information" on the internet. Avoid it at all costs.

Last edited: