• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I'm also planning on buying a TV for the next gen in mind. Would you recommend waiting for the PS5 reveal before buying a new TV or is something like the C9 a safe bet? I heard that the new line of Sony TV's are kind of a mess when it comes to HDMI 2.1 support and that makes me slightly nervous.

C9 is a safe bet.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
You see I wasn't even sure the C9 would be HDMI 2.1 ready. So you helped me at least 25% :)
I'm trying to look for it on internet, but I can't make sure what features are CX9 exclusive, with my limited understanding of technologies ^^

Ok so now I have these questions ^^
- Isn't Free Sync and VRR the same thing?
-C9 being HDMI 2.1 compatible, I could get 4K120 anyway on the C9 correct?
-Cinema Motion Pro : is this something similar as True Motion on older LG LCD panels like the one I currently have?
-What are the advantages of the new proc compared to the previous one?

Dolby Vision IQ seems like something I'd really want for HDR games :)
FreeSync, G-Sync and VRR are three different implementations of variable refresh rate over HDMI. The connected devices have to support the specific implementations, they're not interchangeable.

Yeah, with HDMI 2.1 you get 4K120 either way, but every device in the chain needs to support HDMI 2.1 in this case. We don't have any GPUs currently that support HDMI 2.1, so right now it's basically impossible to get 4K120.

And sorry, 120Hz BFI and Cinema Motion Pro are the same thing, it's supposed to improve black uniformity by about 50%.

The Alpha-9 Gen 3 processor is supposed to be 15% faster on the CPU and 50% faster on the GPU, probably mostly going to be a factor for the performance of post-processing and AI features, slightly less input lag etc.

Also, there's the new Filmmaker Mode that disables certain post-processing effects.

120Hz BFI and 4K120 4:2.0 support via HDMI 2.0 might be backported to the C9 line as well, afaik there isn't any additional hardware required for this.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Good to see progress on the pricing this year. Hopefully with next gen approaching and sales likely to get a big boost this year and next year the prices will continue to fall for OLED.

How cheap did the 65" C9 get?

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
What is the diff between B9 and C9?
B9 for 899 worth the money?

B9 has all the features of HDMI 2.1 ?

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
FreeSync, G-Sync and VRR are three different implementations of variable refresh rate over HDMI. The connected devices have to support the specific implementations, they're not interchangeable.

Actually, this is not 100% correct. Freesync, G-sync and VRR are indeed three different things. But gsync over hdmi, at least the gsync on the LG oleds, are in fact VRR. In this case g-sync is nothing but branding.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
Actually, this is not 100% correct. Freesync, G-sync and VRR are indeed three different things. But gsync over hdmi, at least the gsync on the LG oleds, are in fact VRR. In this case g-sync is nothing but branding.
So it's basically like Nvidia's G-Sync support for FreeSync displays? The G-Sync label just means that Nvidia has tested these displays to guarantee that they will be fully compatible while for everything that "only" supports VRR they don't make any guarantees, but they might still work perfectly fine with it?

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
So it's basically like Nvidia's G-Sync support for FreeSync displays? The G-Sync label just means that Nvidia has tested these displays to guarantee that they will be fully compatible while for everything that "only" supports VRR they don't make any guarantees, but they might still work perfectly fine with it?

Yep, it's exactly like that. It's really confusing for the end user, that's for sure.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, with HDMI 2.1 you get 4K120 either way, but every device in the chain needs to support HDMI 2.1 in this case. We don't have any GPUs currently that support HDMI 2.1, so right now it's basically impossible to get 4K120.

And sorry, 120Hz BFI and Cinema Motion Pro are the same thing, it's supposed to improve black uniformity by about 50%.

The Alpha-9 Gen 3 processor is supposed to be 15% faster on the CPU and 50% faster on the GPU, probably mostly going to be a factor for the performance of post-processing and AI features, slightly less input lag etc.

Also, there's the new Filmmaker Mode that disables certain post-processing effects.

120Hz BFI and 4K120 4:2.0 support via HDMI 2.0 might be backported to the C9 line as well, afaik there isn't any additional hardware required for this.
Thank you so very much :)

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
FreeSync, G-Sync and VRR are three different implementations of variable refresh rate over HDMI.
It's just two: HDMI Freesync and HDMI VRR. Gsync is running over HDMI VRR so it's not a separate different implementation. It's also why Gsync doesn't work over HDMI with Freesync monitors - they support HDMI Freesync only, not HDMI VRR.
It also remains to be seen what they mean by Freesync support - will they actually support Freesync HDMI or will AMD support Freesync over HDMI VRR similarly to how NV does it with Gsync.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. I thought PC gaming is better with a monitor, so why would you want to buy a TV that is Freesync/G-Sync compatible? Would this be working through HDMI or Display Port?

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. I thought PC gaming is better with a monitor, so why would you want to buy a TV that is Freesync/G-Sync compatible? Would this be working through HDMI or Display Port?
Next gen consoles will support freesync. You can have a monitor and TV hooked up to a GPU to choose where you game. Play Witcher 3 on TV or Apex Legends on your monitor for example.

Connection will be HDMI 2.1 to TVs.

Oct 25, 2017
Next gen consoles will support freesync. You can have a monitor and TV hooked up to a GPU to choose where you game. Play Witcher 3 on TV or Apex Legends on your monitor for example.

Connection will be HDMI 2.1 to TVs.

Wow, consoles completely missed me. I legit forgot 😂 well that makes complete sense. Well, now I'm interested

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Online and authorised would be an opened box as good as retail correct? Either way this is good news for prices. I'd imagine in 3 years an OLED like that will be quite affordable for many more.

Online and authorized at $1599 was through HHGregg (I think) through Google Shopping. So it would be sealed in the box, US model, full warranty. GreenToe through other authorized dealsers hit $1699 once or twice, too. Again, sealed, full warranty, US model.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
A modern 4K OLED HDR TV with 120Hz max refresh and VRR support over HDMI 2.1 have a huge chance of actually beating the shit out of any monitor available on sale at this time.
It's nearest competition will likely be in the form of upcoming 32" 4K 144Hz Gsync Ultimate IPS panels with 1000+ FALD which will likely cost about $5000 or so - i.e. more than these TVs.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
CX with the PS5 is my goal. Hopefully it drops in price even if a few hundred once it's out of the brand new release window!

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Unfortunately, the C9 and CX were built without any testing with next-gen consoles and represent a risk. Yes they can be patched but you're at the manufacturer's mercy.

The C11 will start development before next-gen releases but will have a few months for testing and tweaking things so the C11 is the very first TV to be guaranteed to work perfectly. The safest choice is to wait until next-gen releases, see how it works with C9 and CX, and then decide whether to buy a C9,CX or C11.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Any mcable like enhancement build into these TV? Feels like TV Gpu are powerful enough to include a Smaa filter and something similar to freestyle sharpening /AMD RIS as special graphic filters. Would be a nice selling point for the new line up and not restricted to 1440p like mcable classic.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, the C9 and CX were built without any testing with next-gen consoles and represent a risk. Yes they can be patched but you're at the manufacturer's mercy.

The C11 will start development before next-gen releases but will have a few months for testing and tweaking things so the C11 is the very first TV to be guaranteed to work perfectly. The safest choice is to wait until next-gen releases, see how it works with C9 and CX, and then decide whether to buy a C9,CX or C11.
HDMI conformance kinda means that you don't really need testing. But you're right, it's impossible to know how older TVs will work with future console h/w. I'd still expect them to work just fine though.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017

It's a good strat... but a long wait. LOL

SikSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
I find it's usually best to wait until the new year to buy these. The prices are high at launch and then less than a year later, seem to get significant price drops.

I held off on getting the C9 once G-Sync support (the final feature for my 'dream' TV) was announced because it was so late in the year that the CX was right around the corner. The AV1 support, and many other minor features, is why I don't just get a C9.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
Any mcable like enhancement build into these TV? Feels like TV Gpu are powerful enough to include a Smaa filter and something similar to freestyle sharpening /AMD RIS as special graphic filters. Would be a nice selling point for the new line up and not restricted to 1440p like mcable classic.
Well, they have AI 4K Upscaling for lower resolution content. There isn't really a point to "enhance" native 4K content though.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017

They're built to HDMI 2.1 specifications, same as the Xbox Series X and the PS5. These specs don't just suddenly change.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Might wait to pick up the CX, was considering the C9 because it's on sale, but the CX has variable refresh rate. With the new consoles coming, I think maybe I should go with the CX over the C9 to be future proof?

My C7 crapped out on me, to the point a few repair attempts have been made and LG is offering to cash me out on it and pick it up.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
Might wait to pick up the CX, was considering the C9 because it's on sale, but the CX has variable refresh rate. With the new consoles coming, I think maybe I should go with the CX over the C9 to be future proof?

My C7 crapped out on me, to the point a few repair attempts have been made and LG is offering to cash me out on it and pick it up.
The C9 has VRR as well, just not FreeSync.

Oct 27, 2017

C9 has vrr. I'm literally using g-sync right now on my PC.

Oct 27, 2017

if they don't support the full spec for vrr can you imagine what the shitstorm would actually be?

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Got my last tv around 2007/8 so it may be time for a new one come November. C9 will probably have some good deals. Differences between 9 and X are pretty minimal, right?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

The C9 has Gsync, but only for Turing cards and later

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
US Dates Pre-order. VIA AVSforum. No source listed on the posting.

2020 model pre-order schedule (USA):

CX 48" beginning 5/25
CX 55" now
CX 65" now (MSRP $2,799.99)
CX 77" beginning 4/6
GX 55/65" beginning 3/9
GX 77" beginning 3/9
ZX 8k 77" beginning 4/27
ZX 8k 88" beginning 4/13

Bestbuy has the CX 65 page up at $2,799.99. Seems to be sold out.
Dang, can't even preorder the 48" for almost another three months, huh? Gonna have to live w/ my fake HDR for a while longer...

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

CX 48" beginning 5/25
CX 55" now
CX 77" beginning 4/6
GX 55/65" beginning 3/9
GX 77" beginning 3/9
ZX 8k 77" beginning 4/27
ZX 8k 88" beginning 4/13

Is there any chance the CX 48 inch is only 1,000? Or is that a crazy thought.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017

CX 48" beginning 5/25
CX 55" now
CX 77" beginning 4/6
GX 55/65" beginning 3/9
GX 77" beginning 3/9
ZX 8k 77" beginning 4/27
ZX 8k 88" beginning 4/13

Hmm, I wonder what the 55" CX will cost. I pod around the price of the 65" CX when I got my 55" C7 in 2017.

Regardless, I'm very likely just going to wait on a sale for the CX 55" :P

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
so a 55 inch CX would be around 2500usd?