• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anumariku

Jan 8, 2020
The video above clearly has the LG rep saying as soon as HDMI 2.1 video cards are out that the 2019 sets will support 4k120.

Indeed, I did hear that. But apparently the processor does in fact play a part in displaying full uncompressed chroma (as evidenced by him saying 2.0 on the CX will support 4k120hz -- at a lower chroma). So I wasn't sure if that was confirmed. Forgive me, I am relatively un-knowledgeable in regards to this, I'm just debating buying the C9 vs CX and trying to solidify my decision.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

If those BFI modes don't get pulled (like what happened last year), that's a pretty big difference for the CX vs C9. I realize some people won't want the dimming and the fact you wouldn't be able to use VRR with it, but if the brightness is good (and there are some encouraging reports it's decent), I'd probably choose BFI over VRR for most things.

This is a reason I'll probably get a CX after all. Though I don't need a full 4k. I used a bandwidth calculator to determine I should be able to run 1800P 120hz with 420 chroma on hdmi 2.0b at 10 bit color, which is what I'll likely set mine up at. Until a get a hdmi 2.1 video card and then I an go straight to 444 then at the same settings.

Also did the LG rep just say 4.1 ms input lag at 120hz? Sexy. Hopefully this holds up in testing!

Sounds like it's essentially down to around 0ms input lag from a processing POV. Even a CRT isn't actually 0 in the truest sence (there's no processing lag, true, but it certainly takes time to paint the screen and the bottom isn't the same as the top of the image).

Last edited:

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, I did hear that. But apparently the processor does in fact play a part in displaying full uncompressed chroma (as evidenced by him saying 2.0 on the CX will support 4k120hz -- at a lower chroma). So I wasn't sure if that was confirmed. Forgive me, I am relatively un-knowledgeable in regards to this, I'm just debating buying the C9 vs CX and trying to solidify my decision.
The C9 has no issue with the full uncompressed chroma which is why it can't do 4k120 with 2.0, because that isn't a standard chroma resolution.

Nov 8, 2017
If those BFI modes don't get pulled (like what happened last year), that's a pretty big difference for the CX vs C9. I realize some people won't want the dimming and the fact you wouldn't be able to use VRR with it, but if the brightness is good (and there are some encouraging reports it's decent), I'd probably choose BFI over VRR for most things.

Why is it incompatible with VRR out of curiosity? Does it simply look bad if at low framerates so they won't enable it? Surely from a purely technical viewpoint it's theoretically possible to match every variable frame with a black frame, since the VRR only goes up to 120 and it can now BFI at 120?

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards just getting the 48" CX as my desktop monitor. I was going to sell my 27" PG27UQ FALD HDR monitor and get the new 32" MiniLED model, but the 48" CX will be 1/2 the cost almost prob and a better picture. I already sit ~4 feet from the Wall behind my current monitor, so get a slim mount and I would be golden. Would be a great monitor for multitasking plus PC gaming.

I was already planning to put a 65" cx on the other wall for big screen gaming/sports/consoles so I think this will compliment it well.

One thing with the 77" Model, I do really hope they improved the uniformity and QC on them. I had to go through 5-6 77" C9s until I got one that was "acceptable". Plan on upgrading to the CX so really don't want to have to go through that again.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it incompatible with VRR out of curiosity? Does it simply look bad if at low framerates so they won't enable it? Surely from a purely technical viewpoint it's theoretically possible to match every variable frame with a black frame, since the VRR only goes up to 120 and it can now BFI at 120?

I'm not sure of the technical reason. I know there was a big push about this last CES (got pulled from LG production models) and the info indicated you couldn't run both at the same time. You had to pick one or the other. Maybe it would be too dim if the framerate was low? Or too much fluctuation in brightness levels as the frame rate fluctuated? I'm not sure why. Just that from all the info released, I was going to have to pick one if I bought one.

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching the price of the C9 like a hawk. Looks like it has seen an official price drop as of this morning... Not as low as it's black friday through christmas price slash, but it's a decent chunk off. Wondering if I should pull the trigger already or wait a tad longer.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching the price of the C9 like a hawk. Looks like it has seen an official price drop as of this morning... Not as low as it's black friday through christmas price slash, but it's a decent chunk off. Wondering if I should pull the trigger already or wait a tad longer.
I'm holding until spring, closer we get to the CX the lower it should drop.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Reference last year's price drops for the 55-inch C8 to get an idea of how the 65-inch C9 might go this year.

If it's like the C8 last year, March-May might be the price/availability sweet spot.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
European 2020 prices are out. Copy paste from AVSfourm.

Source:
https://www.computerbase.de/2020-03/...r-2020-preise/
Model Resolution Availability Price
OLED65RX9LA 4K noch keine Angabe 59.999 Euro
OLED88ZX9LA 8K Mai 2020 29.999 Euro
OLED77ZX9LA 8K Juni 2020 19.999 Euro
OLED65WX9LA 4K April 2020 4.999 Euro
OLED77GX9LA 4K Mai 2020 7.999 Euro
OLED65GX9LA 4K April 2020 3.999 Euro
OLED55GX9LA 4K April 2020 2.499 Euro
OLED77CX9LA 4K Mai 2020 6.999 Euro
OLED65CX9LA 4K April 2020 3.099 Euro
OLED55CX9LA 4K April 2020 2.299 Euro
OLED48CX9LB 4K Mai 2020 1.799 Euro

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Any chance of LG B9 or C9 dropping any lower when the new ones come out? They seem to have dropped to their Black Friday prices and stay there. :/

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
The current TV/monitor I use for my PC is starting to suffer from flickering issues if on for long periods of time, I might be looking into replacing it with an LG TV or widescreen monitor.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, wow, 60k€ for the rollable TV. I guess you have to be rolling in money to afford one, lol.

Not in hurry to get a new TV yet. Maybe will consider CX along PS5, if they will play together nicely, otherwise I can wait a bit more for Series 11 (XI?).

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
European 2020 prices are out. Copy paste from AVSfourm.

Source:
https://www.computerbase.de/2020-03/...r-2020-preise/
Model Resolution Availability Price
OLED65RX9LA 4K noch keine Angabe 59.999 Euro
OLED88ZX9LA 8K Mai 2020 29.999 Euro
OLED77ZX9LA 8K Juni 2020 19.999 Euro
OLED65WX9LA 4K April 2020 4.999 Euro
OLED77GX9LA 4K Mai 2020 7.999 Euro
OLED65GX9LA 4K April 2020 3.999 Euro
OLED55GX9LA 4K April 2020 2.499 Euro
OLED77CX9LA 4K Mai 2020 6.999 Euro
OLED65CX9LA 4K April 2020 3.099 Euro
OLED55CX9LA 4K April 2020 2.299 Euro
OLED48CX9LB 4K Mai 2020 1.799 Euro

While they dropped the price of the Wallpaper series by 2000€, I'm really annoyed that the W series doesn't seem to support VRR and thus G-Sync, despite officially supporting HDMI 2.1.

If I had known that this year's model won't support VRR either, I would've bought the W8 during Black Friday for ~3000€.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies, as I'm sure google knows, but what's the difference between the 3 main 65 inchers? (not the rollable one)

There's roughly 1000 Euro between each one, and I'm interested what extra functionality you get for the steps in price

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I'm assuming the US prices will be the same. I'm all for the 48 inch as I've always wanted an OLED and didn't have the space.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The GX is the 20mm thing wall mounting only unit , also supports some additional broadcast standards

The WX is the wallpaper thin wall mount one

the CX is the Normal one

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the HDR is going to be like on a smaller set like a 48"?

The tech is getting more compact each year, but smaller TVs tend to have lower luminance levels and are unsuited to proper HDR. Does LG think their tech is there yet?

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the HDR is going to be like on a smaller set like a 48"?

The tech is getting more compact each year, but smaller TVs tend to have lower luminance levels and are unsuited to proper HDR. Does LG think their tech is there yet?

Shouldn't it be a non issue with OLED? Each pixel is self lighting. Other TVs have a LED array behind the pixels with dimming zones.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Man, the pixel density on a 48" 4K OLED should look amazing, especially for gaming.

Have they ever made one smaller than 55"?

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to that Black Friday-ish 48" Cox pricing. I want a nice TV to coincide with next-gen launches so Im not really worried about its launch pricing vs where the 55C9 is for example (and 48" is also the biggest size I can probably fit for where I want to put the unit)

Man, the pixel density on a 48" 4K OLED should look amazing, especially for gaming.

Have they ever made one smaller than 55"?
Nope, this is the first year consumers are getting anything smaller than 55.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Love my C9 to bits, literally! 120hz and Gsync/VRR especially is an absolute massive game changer, it really is.

But when the CX was announced I was a little jealous that it was getting 120hz BFI. At least, I was until I found out it doesn't work with VRR, which therefore renders it useless for me. Hopefully they get 120hz BFI working with VRR on a later model. Until then I'll happily enjoy my C9, which has near pristine motion at 120hz regardless.

Last edited:

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Love my C9 to bits, literally! 120hz and Gsync/VRR especially is an absolute massive game changer, it really is.

But when the CX was announced I was a little jealous that it was getting 120hz BFI. At least, I was until I found out it doesn't work with VRR, which therefore renders it useless for me. Hopefully they get 120hz BFI working with VRR on a later model. Until then I'll happily English my C9, which has near pristine motion at 120hz regardless.

Even monitors that support backlight strobing and variable refresh rate simultaneously (the tech is called ELMB) tend to have all kinds of artifacts with it. It's best to leave backlight strobing or BFI for situations where you can maintain stable, high framerates so variable refresh rate is not as needed.

Oct 27, 2017

But when the CX was announced I was a little jealous that it was getting 120hz BFI. At least, I was until I found out it doesn't work with VRR, which therefore renders it useless for me. Hopefully they get 120hz BFI working with VRR on a later model. Until then I'll happily English my C9, which has near pristine motion at 120hz regardless.
I don't think BFI is going to make much of a difference for me either way @120 for gaming. I noticed the stutterer 30 obviously which is horrendous and the 60 it's a little noticeable but when I crank it up to 120 I don't notice it. Which is what I keep it at for all games at 1440p until 2.1 comes out. I don't see any need for it because BFI would have ended up lowering your brightness anyhow.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Anyone know if It's true G-sync will work with Nvidia Pascal series GPUs on CX series unlike 9 series?

As far as I know, the dependency is on nVidia and not LG, and nVidia confirmed G-Sync for TV (well, VRR through HDMI) only for Turing and above. So I don't think any 9xx card will make it.

Also : just cracked on an LG C9 65", with prices going down before CX release. Can't wait.