• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Japan
Two questions:

1. Any chance LG would mislead us by saying the C9 can achieve 4k 120hz?
2. What benefits will the enhanced processor in the CX really offer over the C9?

Thanks.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Two questions:

1. Any chance LG would mislead us by saying the C9 can achieve 4k 120hz?
2. What benefits will the enhanced processor in the CX really offer over the C9?

Thanks.
1.: High chance. The 9 series OLED TVs still need a firmware update.
2.: We dont know that ATM. Just wait for in-depth reviews.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Is it, though? I thought it was already confirmed the 48 inch is being produced at a new factory in China.

And I know one of the sites already confirmed, that LG confirmed, that the 48 inch will be priced cheaper than the 55. Technically 100 dollars is cheaper. So maybe not MUCH cheaper. Still, there have been some really good BF deals on C8/C9 in the past. No reason to think it won't break sub-1000 at least once in the coming year.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The auto-detecting content and changing the display settings sounds good, so long as it allows you to calibrate each setting.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
They still haven't pushed the C9 G-Sync update in Europe ffs :(

It's out in Europe. But you don't even need it to use gsync. I used gsync with no problems for over a month with an older firmware. My nvidia gpu recognized the TV as vrr compatible anyway and gsync worked great. The only difference I've noticed with the "gsync firmware" is that the nvidia control panel now states that the TV is "gsync approved" or something similar. Can't remember the exact wording.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Disappointing that they haven't improved the panel brightness significantly in a few years. No word on top emission OLED yet?

GreyFox

Oct 28, 2017
Any words on actually improving burn-in protection? I had thought about buying a C9, but i use my TV a lot as a PC desktop monitor - and the C9 doesn't really seem to be suitable for that.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering which series will conform with the B7/B8/C9 series sets in terms of pricing. I'm guessing the CX series given that it's where they're choosing to include that new 48" model.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Disappointing that they haven't improved the panel brightness significantly in a few years. No word on top emission OLED yet?
Any words on actually improving burn-in protection? I had thought about buying a C9, but i use my TV a lot as a PC desktop monitor - and the C9 doesn't really seem to be suitable for that.
The consensus is that OLED will be passed by MicroLED in the next few years (2023-2025) and that it doesn't make sense to put a lot of R&D into OLED. MicroLED will have all the same black levels and contrast, but no burn in issues and much better peak brightness. Don't expect major advances in OLED.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they update the 2019 OLED models with freesync support too, that would rock

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
OH MAN

them introducing a 48 inch is a big game changer to me. That's a perfect hang on the wall with two small monitors on the desk workstation setup for me.

Hopefully the price isn't absurd

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The consensus is that OLED will be passed by MicroLED in the next few years (2023-2025) and that it doesn't make sense to put a lot of R&D into OLED. MicroLED will have all the same black levels and contrast, but no burn in issues and much better peak brightness. Don't expect major advances in OLED.

I'm not convinced that MicroLED will ever make it to consumer's homes.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, damn those physics! 😏

There have been leaps in OLED tech in the past. I'm certainly not the only one wishing for brighter displays. LG mentioned top emission OLED back in 2017 as a way to boost brightness (they mentioned starting production in 2019), but there's been nothing mentioned since then.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
We don't know anything specific about the panels and the actual feature set yet. That stuff mostly comes later after tech press had hands on with the TVs.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Can someone explain to me why Samsung is planning to re-enter the OLED market in the next two years? I keep reading about their re-entrance into the OLED TV market. And how MicroLED isn't that far away. Something isn't adding up here. Why would they re-enter the OLED market if MicroLED is so close to market?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
There have been leaps in OLED tech in the past. I'm certainly not the only one wishing for brighter displays. LG mentioned top emission OLED back in 2017 as a way to boost brightness (they mentioned starting production in 2019), but there's been nothing mentioned since then.

Let's hope they come soon. Sony have some top emission small OLED displays that can hit 3000nits

Jan 2, 2018
1) Have the fixed burn-in and/or ghosting for gaming on OLED?
2) Is there some sort of upgrade program for trading in old sets? (Samsung has started doing this when you buy from them directly).

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for micro led but is there going to be a realistic way to mass produce them over the next five years? Isn't that the big hurdle?

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
LG still needs to push out Top Emission panels, which probably won't be till 2021/2022. That should be a good big leap again for OLED, especially on the peak brightness and ABL side.

You could argue that might be the last major leap if Micro then Mini LED do ever get to a point to be mainstream.

As for these new panels, probably same as C9 to C8 jump. Improvements but nothing major.

I was really hoping they would release an 88" 4k set, as my 77" c9 is just not big enough. Sad to see they are keeping 88" at 8k for the price of car. I get why they are doing it though, as they need some reason to entice those .1% consumers buying TVs at that price.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I wonder if this year's 48'' will be cheaper than last years 55''. I have a 40 TV at home and 48 would definitely be big enough for me.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Can someone explain to me why Samsung is planning to re-enter the OLED market in the next two years? I keep reading about their re-entrance into the OLED TV market. And how MicroLED isn't that far away. Something isn't adding up here. Why would they re-enter the OLED market if MicroLED is so close to market?
I think they are investing in both QDOLED and MicroLED which both have issues that need to be solved, so either one could end up being their premium technology.

Either Way, LG Display isn't likely to have major year to year improvements on OLED. From the sounds of it, the 8,9,and X series are essentially the same display with different processors.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not convinced that MicroLED will ever make it to consumer's homes.

SED flashbacks? I remember this was the wonder tech of forever. And it never amounted to anything. This is why, when I see a recent article stating Samsung is shutting down an LCD factory to start making OLEDs there, it makes me question things. We've been teased a lot of "perfect" tvs in the days since LCD slaughtered CRT. MicroLED just seems too perfect. There has to be a catch.

I think they are investing in both QDOLED and MicroLED which both have issues that need to be solved, so either one could end up being their premium technology.

Either Way, LG Display isn't likely to have major year to year improvements on OLED. From the sounds of it, the 8,9,and X series are essentially the same display with different processors.

Okay. Now this makes sense. I googled a bit after I posted that comment and I've seen that Samsung really lost a ton of market share to LG after they abandoned OLED the first time (especially the premium market). It makes sense to have a fallback option and that MicroLED isn't the sure thing people are making it out to be.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
What do the 55 inch versions normally cost when released?