• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

"The UltraFine OLED Pro is a 31.5-inch 4K display, according to Engadget, and LG says the display has individual dimming for its more than 8 million pixels. The monitor covers 99 percent of the DCI-P3 and Adobe RGB color spectrum and has a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, according to LG's video. And the display has a good number of ports, including one USB-C port with 90-watt power delivery, two DisplayPorts, three USB-A ports, one HDMI port, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. "

www.theverge.com

LG announces a stunning 4K OLED monitor for creative pros

There’s no price or release date just yet.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My 5K Ultrafine has shielding so bad I actually put aluminum foil on the back of it (which fixed the issue) - so I hope they resolved that.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at monitor prices, this thing will be more expensive than a 55 inch c1

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I would not be surprised if these are the ones Apple uses for their next gen iMacs.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to guess around 5000 dollars for this.

I wonder if they're doing anything smart to reduce burn in

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I would not be surprised if these are the ones Apple uses for their next gen iMacs.
I kind of doubt it.

OLED is often over-saturated for work where you need to be color accurate. It is also still susceptible to burn in, which would suck a lot more on an all in one like an iMac than a standalone monitor.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be more expensive then their TVs without a doubt, but good start

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Wow I saw in this morning's press release LG Display announce making sub 42" OLED displays in the future but wasn't expecting to see actual product announcements already.

This is obviously more for creatives but I wonder if the typical gaming monitor vendors like Asus, MSI etc might put an order in and start making 120Hz UltraWide OLED's some day.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unless this can virtually eliminate the risk of burn in, OLED for computers is a terrible idea what with the static OS elements.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
If you're editing photos, you'd really be better off with an IPS than an OLED. Even iPhone screens are really saturated looking.
For many recent years the standard reference monitor for film mastering work was a Sony OLED. I've no doubt you can do color accurate work on them.
Display calibrators praise the iPhone's OLED so a full monitor that can be fully adjusted would no doubt be even better.

jkh13

Oct 27, 2017
This is almost certainly 60Hz and will be over $2K. High end LG ultrafine monitors are already costing $1K+ and I can imagine a top of the line OLED model costing much more than that.

This isn't a consumer grade monitor, it's meant for professionals which means it likely doesn't support gaming features such as 120Hz, ALLM or any VRR/Gsync features but will have a wealth of connectivity (including USB-C) and will come accurately calibrated out of the box.

You will likely be better off buying the 48 C1 or 42 C1 TVs and using that as a gaming monitor. They will be cheaper and have the consumer features for gaming such as supporting the full HDMI 2.1 feature set.

If you're editing photos, you'd really be better off with an IPS than an OLED. Even iPhone screens are really saturated looking.
Not true, OLEDs have been used as reference monitors for film production for years. IPS has a lot of issues with contrast, uniformity and black levels which OLED improves on and the color reproduction can also be more accurate with OLED, especially for HDR work.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020
Ready to sell a kidney for this. >:D

Unless this can virtually eliminate the risk of burn in, OLED for computers is a terrible idea what with the static OS elements.
Honestly, uLED is a no go at a size like that imo, but mLED with strides will be a defacto replacement for OLED requests on computer monitors while achieving results as close to it as possible, maybe surpassing it if enough strides are made, though I am not sure if it is feasible within the next 10 years.

OLED may get replaced by uLED down the line, maybe.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to have the Windows Start icon burned into my 5k monitor.
You can hide the taskbar. What will get burned in though are the things like close button of a maximized windows and static toolbar icons in the same windows like the browser forward / back buttons, etc.
I have severe doubts about OLED being ready for a typical PC monitor usage. If you use it to play games only or to do video editing stuff only then maybe.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Not true, OLEDs have been used as reference monitors for film production for years. IPS has a lot of issues with contrast, uniformity and black levels which OLED improves on and the color reproduction can also be more accurate with OLED, especially for HDR work.
Hm, well I'm a graphic designer by trade and I would much rather work on the IPS of my MacBook over the consumer OLED laptops that I have used (razer and Dell). They were both so oversaturated that you would have no idea what your end product would look like on a regular screen. If they can dial that down, it could be nice though (burn-in aside).

jkh13

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, well I'm a graphic designer by trade and I would much rather work on the IPS of my MacBook over the consumer OLED laptops that I have used (razer and Dell). They were both so oversaturated that you would have no idea what your end product would look like on a regular screen. If they can dial that down, it could be nice though (burn-in aside).

These monitors should be well calibrated and not oversaturated, I think those consumer OLED displays are usually ramped up in saturation as the primary use case is for gaming and consuming media on them, not for professional work. It's similar to how TVs are tuned in the showroom for punchy but inaccurate colors, it makes it stand out better.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright now we're cooking. I will take this 100% over an OLED TV. That I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of this thing could fund 2 OLED LG tvs......

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Safe to assume its 60 Hz since it's for "creative pros" and not "gaming pros".

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
My 5K Ultrafine has shielding so bad I actually put aluminum foil on the back of it (which fixed the issue) - so I hope they resolved that.
Yeah, I remember that issue with the Mac version. Do you have Mac version or what it also an issue with their non-Mac one?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
USB-C with power delivery? This thing is going to be very popular with professional laptop users.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

That's not an OLED thing though, that must have been an out of the box setup thing that they've turned on for popwhiz bang, that or you are just so used to the poor Black level of an IPS display.

If it was oversaturated, you'd calibrate that out in 15 minutes with even a basic spider type tool, there is no guarantee that an IPS panel is any more actuate in this regard either - although Apple displays are usually pretty good out of the box compared to other things.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Sounds like an expensive bad idea
Also, unless you're making HDR content or something what creative benefits does an oled really provide?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Last edited: