• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Thanks! I guess it's the cable. It does G-Sync only @ 1080p. :(
When I switch to 1440p & 120hz the screen goes black a few times and ends up with a super low resolution, something around 800x600.
60Hz works well even at 4K but no G-Sync.

I'll order a new cable today!

Right, makes sense. Do we know if next gen Nvidia cards will have it?
No problem, was in the same situation as you and tested everything I could, the cable was the issue from the beginning lol.

With the old cable I just got a black screen and that was it, at least you get a low resolution picture.

If you have your new cable, and you have everything enabled, the LG should tell you it switched to Instant Gaming response, and then you only have to enable it in the NCVP under Desktop resolutions, G-Sync and 1440p I mean.

And you're welcome.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I just had the 4.71.25 firmware land today on my C9 in the UK.

Nothing exciting in there.

OP
OP

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Just downloaded project cars 2 I never got round to buying it on release. Whats the best setting to use enhanced visual, res or framerate

Jun 1, 2018
Thanks! I guess it's the cable. It does G-Sync only @ 1080p. :(
When I switch to 1440p & 120hz the screen goes black a few times and ends up with a super low resolution, something around 800x600.
60Hz works well even at 4K but no G-Sync.

I'll order a new cable today!

Right, makes sense. Do we know if next gen Nvidia cards will have it?
There have been no announcements, but considering that even the LG OLED models from last year have it and they have a partnership with NVIDIA im pretty confident that the new cards will have hdmi 2.1 (3000 series)

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Hi everyone! Quick question, is there a graphic card capable of utilizing the full capabilities of LG B9 panel (4K 120Hz & G-Sync / VRR)? On my current set up I can only get 120hz @ 1080p, when I go up with resolution I have issues with G-Sync (the tab vanishes from Nvidia Control Panel) and refresh rate is lowered to 60Hz. It's a laptop with 1660ti so maybe that's the reason?

To be honest I'm surprised how well G-Sync works, everything is sooo smooooth.

I am seriously considering changing my GPU in my desktop to the one of newer Nvidia cards if this will get me G-Sync at 4K and 120Hz.

You cannot get 4K 120 Hz on any GPU on the market right now. You need HDMI 2.1 for that. 4K 60 Hz works, 1440p 120 Hz works, 1080p 120 Hz works. If those lower resolutions don't work for you, get a better cable.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I finally went into the service menu of my C9 a week or two ago and turned of TPC Enable and it's made a LOAD of difference when watching shows that have long dark scenes that were causing dimming and delayed rebrightening. So glad I did it!! If anyone has this issue (certain shows trigger it much more than others, Sabrina was my culprit), I highly recommend it if you're comfortable in the service menu and have a remote capable of getting you into it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I finally went into the service menu of my C9 a week or two ago and turned of TPC Enable and it's made a LOAD of difference when watching shows that have long dark scenes that were causing dimming and delayed rebrightening. So glad I did it!! If anyone has this issue (certain shows trigger it much more than others, Sabrina was my culprit), I highly recommend it if you're comfortable in the service menu and have a remote capable of getting you into it.

Sabrina is borked!

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
Just a heads up about my stuck pixel on a new C9.
There is one bright white stuck pixel pretty much in the center of the screen. It showed up in the first ~5 hours of usage and running the pixel refresher didn't do a thing about it.
I've just been informed that my panel is gonna be replaced. Downside is it takes about 10 days due to covid and stuff, but I understand that and I'm glad that LG takes care of it.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Joined the C9 club recently, since the CX doesn't look like it's worth the premium. My first OLED, everything looks so vivid and real! Quite the upgrade from my $400 LG from 2016.

Any downsides to consider when turning off TPC Enable, Teiresias ? I guess it's more likely to lead to burn-in down the road?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Joined the C9 club recently, since the CX doesn't look like it's worth the premium. My first OLED, everything looks so vivid and real! Quite the upgrade from my $400 LG from 2016.

Any downsides to consider when turning off TPC Enable, Teiresias ? I guess it's more likely to lead to burn-in down the road?

I guess it could increase burn-in risk on external sources that don't have a "screensaver" of their own. Even the Switch when docked dims when it's been sitting idle for long enough, and I believe the PS4 does too, not sure about Xbox as I don't have one. I guess that would also be a reason to turn a screensaver back on on any gaming PC you may have attached to the TV. The built-in apps will switch to a screensaver mode if you leave them alone long enough already.

I'd wait and see if you watch any content that you notice the issue on before turning it off. It's really obvious in Sabrina and Westworld to me (and apparently Mindhunter).

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it could increase burn-in risk on external sources that don't have a "screensaver" of their own. Even the Switch when docked dims when it's been sitting idle for long enough, and I believe the PS4 does too, not sure about Xbox as I don't have one. I guess that would also be a reason to turn a screensaver back on on any gaming PC you may have attached to the TV. The built-in apps will switch to a screensaver mode if you leave them alone long enough already.

I'd wait and see if you watch any content that you notice the issue on before turning it off. It's really obvious in Sabrina and Westworld to me (and apparently Mindhunter).
Thanks, good points. I read someone had this issue in Gemini Man also and as it so happens that's one of the movies I wanted to watch soon anyway for that sweet HFR so I'll see if the issue pops up for me.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, good points. I read someone had this issue in Gemini Man also and as it so happens that's one of the movies I wanted to watch soon anyway for that sweet HFR so I'll see if the issue pops up for me.

I assume if I'd had an LG OLED a few years ago, the GoT episode "The Long Night" would have given the thing fits too.

Nov 19, 2017
Do the newer OLEDs do anything to reduce possible burn in? I have a 2017 model which now has the boost meter from Rocket League burned into the bottom right. I only see it when certain colors are on screen, but the color orange makes it super obvious.

Chef NL

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
They got Logo Luminance adjustment that i put on high for HUDS you can also set this on low but i dont see a difference and you have screen shift i think its called that moves the picture a little bit but i think the 2017 models have that also.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
And which remote allows this?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
And which remote allows this?

This one is supposed to work:
PerFascin MKJ39170828

The sequence is:
1) In-Start Button and enter 0413 to open service menu
2) Scroll down to 13. OLED
3) Push right to TPC Enable and turn off
4) Exit

A Harmony Remote would also work as the In-Start button is included in the profile for the LG OLED TVs when you add it to the remote. On my Harmony Elite it's one of the default buttons on the LCD screen (which I find kind of perplexing given exposing service menu access to everyone that way seems risky).

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Do the newer OLEDs do anything to reduce possible burn in? I have a 2017 model which now has the boost meter from Rocket League burned into the bottom right. I only see it when certain colors are on screen, but the color orange makes it super obvious.
I got that exact same burn-in on my 2017. I have a C9 now, and apparently the red part of the pixel is much bigger, which should lead to less issues. There's also a full-screen dimming when the set detects any static elements. I've noticed it while playing sports games, but not sure if it's been triggered when playing Rocket League.

Tunned

Oct 30, 2017
I've been toying with getting a "gaming" monitor for the last 5 years, but there was just nothing that caught my attention. At first I was turned off by OLED because of the potential burn in, but then I said f it and just got myself a 55 C9... And let me say... HOLY SHIT!!!... After gaming on 24" 1080p 60hz since 2004, I'm just blown away! 4k and HDR bring a new dimension to gaming, and 120hz, oh my god the smoothness!

First thing I did was boot Forza Horizon 4 in 4k ultra (30-50fps) and my eyes melted! I can't believe the difference between SDR and HDR, am I dreaming,? And playing at 100fps+ is just f-ing amazing (granted I switched down to 1440p, which is still crisp).
I'm also playing through Mad Max right now, going from 24" SDR to 55" HDR OLED... I'm speechless.

Any way just wanted to share my delight of diving into the 4k HDR OLED world, any one who is on the fence about OLED, like I was, just get one, it will blow you away!

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
I've been toying with getting a "gaming" monitor for the last 5 years, but there was just nothing that caught my attention. At first I was turned off by OLED because of the potential burn in, but then I said f it and just got myself a 55 C9... And let me say... HOLY SHIT!!!... After gaming on 24" 1080p 60hz since 2004, I'm just blown away! 4k and HDR bring a new dimension to gaming, and 120hz, oh my god the smoothness!

First thing I did was boot Forza Horizon 4 in 4k ultra (30-50fps) and my eyes melted! I can't believe the difference between SDR and HDR, am I dreaming,? And playing at 100fps+ is just f-ing amazing (granted I switched down to 1440p, which is still crisp).
I'm also playing through Mad Max right now, going from 24" SDR to 55" HDR OLED... I'm speechless.

Any way just wanted to share my delight of diving into the 4k HDR OLED world, any one who is on the fence about OLED, like I was, just get one, it will blow you away!

I've been close to pulling the trigger for a while. Now that it looks like the cx isn't worth the extra 500 I'm even closer. A few questions for you: how do you have it hooked to your computer? Can you get 4k+hdr+60fps from the hdmi out port? I thought the hdmi 2.0 ports were limited to 60fps (with hdr on). Do you have to lower resolution or turn hdr off to get 100+?

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
I've been close to pulling the trigger for a while. Now that it looks like the cx isn't worth the extra 500 I'm even closer. A few questions for you: how do you have it hooked to your computer? Can you get 4k+hdr+60fps from the hdmi out port? I thought the hdmi 2.0 ports were limited to 60fps (with hdr on). Do you have to lower resolution or turn hdr off to get 100+?

HDMI 2.0 can do 1440p at 120fps with HDR

Tunned

Oct 30, 2017

Do it! You won't regret it. I also did not see a reason to wait for the CX and pay 500€ more.
I have the PC hooked up through a HDMI cable, through which I get 4k 60hz with HDR, as the poster before me said, you can lower the res to 1440p or 1080p and get the full 120hz HDR experience (which is amazing).

Some one correct me if I'm wrong, all 4 HDMI ports on the C9 are 2.1, they just need a graphics card to support 4k 120hz with HDR, for now there is not such card available to the public.

Edit: I have a Titan X Maxwell from 2015 (which is ballpark 1070 territory), and depending on the game and graphics setting I can get close to 60fps @ 4k, especially in Forza Horizon 4 and it's dynamic optimisation. Your 1070Ti will be no slouch at 4k, but it will be amazing at 1440p @ 120Hz.
I sit about 2m away from the screen, and 1440p looks almost as sharp as 4k, plus I you get twice the frame rate.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Do it! You won't regret it. I also did not see a reason to wait for the CX and pay 500€ more.
I have the PC hooked up through a HDMI cable, through which I get 4k 60hz with HDR, as the poster before me said, you can lower the res to 1440p or 1080p and get the full 120hz HDR experience (which is amazing).

Some one correct me if I'm wrong, all 4 HDMI ports on the C9 are 2.1, they just need a graphics card to support 4k 120hz with HDR, for now there is not such card available to the public.

Edit: I have a Titan X Maxwell from 2015 (which is ballpark 1070 territory), and depending on the game and graphics setting I can get close to 60fps @ 4k, especially in Forza Horizon 4 and it's dynamic optimisation. Your 1070Ti will be no slouch at 4k, but it will be amazing at 1440p @ 120Hz.
I sit about 2m away from the screen, and 1440p looks almost as sharp as 4k, plus I you get twice the frame rate.

I was just asking about this in the other thread. Couldn't you stick on Forza at the lowest possible fidelity but at 4k and see what FPS you get.

Edit: nope, you'd need a 2.1 HDMI on your gfx card

Last edited:

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017

how do you get HDR? I have a displayport to HDMI adapter, go into NVIDIA control panel, and set color format to YCbCr422 to 10bpc to get HDR but that option doesn't show up when I connect via HDMI.

Tunned

Oct 30, 2017
I was just asking about this in the other thread. Couldn't you stick on Forza at the lowest possible fidelity but at 4k and see what FPS you get.

Edit: nope, you'd need a 2.1 HDMI on your gfx card
I tried FH4 at 4k with at the lowest settings, I get a rock solid 60fps, but as you said, you need hdmi 2.1 on your gfx card to run at 120fps, and a beefy gfx card at that!

how do you get HDR? I have a displayport to HDMI adapter, go into NVIDIA control panel, and set color format to YCbCr422 to 10bpc to get HDR but that option doesn't show up when I connect via HDMI.
I'm connected by hdmi to hdmi, just go into "Display Settings", scroll to "Windows HD Color", and enable "Play HDR games and apps". I did nothing else, and works flawlessly, TV is at default settings and I'm happy with the way everything looks. Maybe your displayport to HDMI is the problem, but don't take my word for it.

goaman

Oct 5, 2019
I play shadow of the colossus on ps4 pro and tv 55c9 in game mode in resolution mode (4k 30fps) it's just awful the blur during camera movements, suddenly I play in performance mode 1080p 60fps

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The vast majority of games on consoles are 30fps, so what is the point of getting an OLED TV for gaming if it makes them look stuttery? That really killed my interest in them

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
The vast majority of games on consoles are 30fps, so what is the point of getting an OLED TV for gaming if it makes them look stuttery? That really killed my interest in them
90% (if not all) of XSX and PS5 games will run at Native 4K/60fps, up to 120fps.

They will look and play stunning on LG OLEDs, and you will leverage these TVs better than ever I would say. ;)

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Either the 30fps stutter is overblown or I got quickly got used to it.

Yes, I noticed it the first day. After a couple of days? No stutter, I really can't notice shit anymore.