• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
This is week one of me owning that C9. Really impressed by the PQ overall & I think I got a handle of using it in a mulitmonitor setup with my PC.

Just a few questions that came up during the first few days with it ...

- I haven't really dug through the deeper settings so far. Quite pleased with the out of the box settings like "Game" for PS4 & PC SDR&HDR, "Cinema" for Netflix/Prime/Youtube SDR, "Cinema Home" for Dolby Vision. Also turned off the energy saving & AI stuff. And I made sure to activate the Ultra Color & InstaGaming settings for the HDMI devices.
Anything else that's super important for the start of things?

- The new Ori was the first game I wanted to try PC gaming with the C9. Unfortunately the GSync still seems to be broken as the game has no option for exclusive fullscreen. I also noticed quite a lot of color banding in the intro sequence (like when baby owl flew through the clouds). Is there something I can do to prevent that from happening. I'm using 1440p@120hz for that game.

- With GSync I globally activated GSync for fullscreen, VSync & Max Frames set to 117fps. Ingame VSync off & exclusive fullscreen and I should be good to go for 1440p@120hz, right guys?

- Guess I was a bit unlucky with the panel as a stuck pixel showed up after about ~5 hours of usage. It's bright white and quite in the center of the panel. I'm using the pixel refresher in the hope to get rid of it, but most likely I'll end up contacting the LG support to discuss further steps. Anyone here has experience with stuck pixels on your LG Oleds?

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Maybe an obvious question, but are you using game mode on your tv?

I found out if once you start a PS4 game with HDR, HDR turns on in cinema mode by default. You have to change it to game mode. so yeah, bascially there's game mode for SDR content, and a separate Game mode on HDR.
Aha! Well, that resolves that question. Thank you! Something I need to adjust to is the serious darkness on these game modes. You see it bright and beautiful In cinema and it's hard not to wince at the heavy black that overcomes the screen when you make the switch. I went back in and changed some settings to brighten it up, but dang. Appreciate the replies tho!

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I started watching a YouTube video and to my surprise it activated HDR. I had no idea the youtube app on C9 supported HDR, sweet. Also the first time I see this, previous TV Q9FN couldn't do this and neither could the Sony 930e I believe.

Netflix. I notice when watching certain shows, in this case Narcos that the daytime scenes are great and crisp as can be but darker scenes, night scenes can look grainy as hell. I know it's the source material but man......at times just downright ugly.

AnderITA

Feb 18, 2018
Hey there c9 owner here, I noticed that the setting regarding logo luminescence not works as it should be: I noticed playing games like dragon ball fighterZ that the entire screen was dimming especially in lobby also when running all around (different color and in motion) anyone? (Setting are in low) thank you

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I started watching a YouTube video and to my surprise it activated HDR. I had no idea the youtube app on C9 supported HDR, sweet. Also the first time I see this, previous TV Q9FN couldn't do this and neither could the Sony 930e I believe.

Netflix. I notice when watching certain shows, in this case Narcos that the daytime scenes are great and crisp as can be but darker scenes, night scenes can look grainy as hell. I know it's the source material but man......at times just downright ugly.

the Q9FN could!

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can someone help me with RGB settings and ps4? I've been basically playing on ps4 pro with the standard Game and Hdr game modes settings on my lg c9 tv. As for the RGB range I have it set to limited on ps4 pro and on low black levels on the TV. Am I doing the right thing or should I switch to full RGB and full hdmi black levels? Thanks

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Can someone help me with RGB settings and ps4? I've been basically playing on ps4 pro with the standard Game and Hdr game modes settings on my lg c9 tv. As for the RGB range I have it set to limited on ps4 pro and on low black levels on the TV. Am I doing the right thing or should I switch to full RGB and full hdmi black levels? Thanks
You are doing it right. PS4 limited - tv low. Even though your tv supports full (useful for use as monitor), all games, movies are only mastered in the limited anyway (please correct me if I'm wrong)

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

That is the standard for TVs, so that's what I would stick with.

Oct 27, 2017
- The new Ori was the first game I wanted to try PC gaming with the C9. Unfortunately the GSync still seems to be broken as the game has no option for exclusive fullscreen. I also noticed quite a lot of color banding in the intro sequence (like when baby owl flew through the clouds). Is there something I can do to prevent that from happening. I'm using 1440p@120hz for that game.

- With GSync I globally activated GSync for fullscreen, VSync & Max Frames set to 117fps. Ingame VSync off & exclusive fullscreen and I should be good to go for 1440p@120hz, right guys?
I haven't played the new Ori game yet

But 1440 @120hz is my preferred set up on my c9. I don't use vsync at all. 117 cap reduces the need and with gsync unless you think you will be dipping under 40 fps, I don't see the need for it.

You would think that windowed full screen would be selected but I tried that briefly the other day and it look like it wasn't working the other day. It looked like it broke it completely regardless of being full or windowed.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 77 B9. My ps4 pro will display 4K content if I turn HDR off. if I turn HDR on , it shows 1080p . I've tried a few different HDMI cables. Any idea why this is happening?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This is week one of me owning that C9. Really impressed by the PQ overall & I think I got a handle of using it in a mulitmonitor setup with my PC.

Just a few questions that came up during the first few days with it ...

- I haven't really dug through the deeper settings so far. Quite pleased with the out of the box settings like "Game" for PS4 & PC SDR&HDR, "Cinema" for Netflix/Prime/Youtube SDR, "Cinema Home" for Dolby Vision. Also turned off the energy saving & AI stuff. And I made sure to activate the Ultra Color & InstaGaming settings for the HDMI devices.
Anything else that's super important for the start of things?

- Guess I was a bit unlucky with the panel as a stuck pixel showed up after about ~5 hours of usage. It's bright white and quite in the center of the panel. I'm using the pixel refresher in the hope to get rid of it, but most likely I'll end up contacting the LG support to discuss further steps. Anyone here has experience with stuck pixels on your LG Oleds?

make sure to disable PC mode for 10bit/HDR. It has a lot of banding.

LardHomers

Oct 25, 2017

The first week I had my 55" C9 it had a black pixel near the upper middle of the screen. I assumed it was dead, but I ran a lot of content the following days and at some point it was gone. Now, four months later, it hasn't returned. So at least in my case it seems to have sorted itself out.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
make sure to disable PC mode for 10bit/HDR. It has a lot of banding.

Yeah ... heard about that one. I'm using the Game profile even with my PC.

Seems like both games I was looking forward to (Ori WotW & Doom Eternal) are having some issues with GSync at launch. Until they get patched, I'll stick to 120hz and ingame Vsync anyways - as those settings seem to make the least problems so far.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
The first week I had my 55" C9 it had a black pixel near the upper middle of the screen. I assumed it was dead, but I ran a lot of content the following days and at some point it was gone. Now, four months later, it hasn't returned. So at least in my case it seems to have sorted itself out.

Sounds like some other users on reddit etc. got rid of their stuck pixels. I'm waiting 2 or 3 more weeks and run the pixel refresher every other day. Feels kind of weird bothering the LG support anyways during the whole pandamic stuff going on ...

Oct 27, 2017

Seems like both games I was looking forward to (Ori WotW & Doom Eternal) are having some issues with GSync at launch. Until they get patched, I'll stick to 120hz and ingame Vsync anyways - as those settings seem to make the least problems so far.
they both have issues with gsync? well both are off the list for now then me. Oh well not like there isnt a ton of other stuff to play.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Are you set at 10bit too?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Got my C9 today, so excited. Now I just need to sort my damn house out, still a lot of building work to get done :(
Worst possible timing with the whole Coronovirus situation as well.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
EvilBoris

So, I still had the C9 set to RGB & 8bit in the NVCP, as it turns out. Switched to 4:2:2 and 10bit & tried it out with the intro in Ori.
Still have some banding issues here and there, but man ... the black seems way ritcher now. Is 4:2:2, 10bit, limited the way to go for all SDR and HDR Gaming on OLEDs?
Sorry if that's been answered a lot of times already - I couldn't really find a definitive answer by searching.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
EvilBoris

So, I still had the C9 set to RGB & 8bit in the NVCP, as it turns out. Switched to 4:2:2 and 10bit & tried it out with the intro in Ori.
Still have some banding issues here and there, but man ... the black seems way ritcher now. Is 4:2:2, 10bit, limited the way to go for all SDR and HDR Gaming on OLEDs?
Sorry if that's been answered a lot of times already - I couldn't really find a definitive answer by searching.

RGB 444 for SDR
YcRcB 422 for HDR

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
Without sounding too whiney ... I was hoping there would be some kind of universal setting for SDR & HDR usage in the control panel. As my plan was to launch everything through Steam Big Picture mode & I didn't wan't to fiddle around in the NVCP for every other game.

Is there a common ground in those color settings that makes sense for both usage cases?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
EvilBoris

HDR10 is Limited range as part of it's spec, so I would expect TVs to understand that better.
All video content is pretty much 4:2:0 limited range too, so all the processing across every chip is the TV will be optimised for that.

I use 12bit 4:2:2 for HDR on a Pc/Xbox and 8bit RGB limited range for SDR

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Without sounding too whiney ... I was hoping there would be some kind of universal setting for SDR & HDR usage in the control panel. As my plan was to launch everything through Steam Big Picture mode & I didn't wan't to fiddle around in the NVCP for every other game.

Is there a common ground in those color settings that makes sense for both usage cases?

At 4K and normal viewing distances I'd be amazed if you could see the difference between 422 and RGB. So you can always just leave it on that

Toreal

Nov 5, 2017
I just bought a 1660 Super to take advantage of Gsync on the C9, since I am forced to work from home.
Oh man running games at high frame rate at 1440p in Hdr with Gsync is something else!
The 1660 super was all I could justify as a stopgap card until the next generation graphic cards come out, but this TV will be insane in the coming years with 4k 120hz and Hdr.

I almost went with a qled, but my recent experience and this video from HDTVTest:
https://youtu.be/ZmT8yvopMLg Gaming on C9 and Q90r, I am super happy with my purchase of the C9.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
C9 here. HDR game mode with settings at default, except color temp at warm2.

Is the demo of RE3 remake in HDR on Xbox One X (but I don't think it matters if it's PS4 or PC) looking a bit washed out? And black levels just raised too much? Compare it to this video

youtu.be

SONY X950H RESIDENT EVIL 3 REMASTER DEMO PC 4K ULTRA ( VALUE ELECTRONICS)

SONY 950H IN ACTION WITH THE RESIDENT EVIL 3 DEMO ON PC 4K 60FPS HDR . DONT FORGET TO DOWNLOAD THE DEMO FOR FREE ON XBOX ,PS4 AND PC RIGHT NOW. SHOUT OUT TO...

And I see much, much better black levels. The video is in SDR though. Why does Capcom stick with the raised blacks in HDR?

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
HDR10 is Limited range as part of it's spec, so I would expect TVs to understand that better.
All video content is pretty much 4:2:0 limited range too, so all the processing across every chip is the TV will be optimised for that.

Why 12bit instead of 10? There's no benefit for 12bit since there are no 12bit panels

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Got my E9 recently, but haven't had a chance to play around with it too much. It is a really nice TV and I think it looks much sleeker than the B9/C9. Unfortunately, the sound is definitely not as good as I thought it would be.

Are there any settings I need to change? I was playing Judgment on PS4 and there was definitely a lot of "crushed blacks" going on.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Just set up my C9 and it's beautiful.

Is there anyway to get the ISF dark room settings on game mode? I find game mode to bright and washed out.

Oct 25, 2017
Got my 65" C9 and love it.

had a really scary moment yesterday. Due to Covid amazons delivery guys didn't do the initial put it on the stand and turn it on thing. They did give me a 150 dollar refund for hiring someone and my trouble. So I get a TaskRabbit guy who does tv mounting, and the first thing he does getting the tv out of the box is letting it pitch forward and fall face flat :O

Thankfully it fell into a piece of foam from the packaging and not straight onto my concrete floors and was unharmed. But I was about to kill this guy.

OP
OP

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
EvilBoris

Is this on pc or xbox on xbox should we set to 10bit too?

Chef NL

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I just got a new 55C9 and it's awesome, I just have one question should I put logo luminance on high or low?
I think high will help with games with a static hud.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

After latest findings, 4:2:2 may not be the best option anymore on Xbox.

This from the 2017 LG OLED Calibrated Settings thread:

The Xbox YCC 422 option debacle is not over yet I suppose.

This is what some reddit user is directly reporting to me:

YCC 422 Enabled:

9U73LxY.jpg

YCC 422 Disabled:

VPrbgfD.jpg

So, even if Xbox actually sends out a 422 12-bit signal in HDR when the option is checked, there are still middle color compressions that makes some text edges "bleed" in some color backgrounds as red, and other color artifacts more noticeable by eye.

I need to further test this, but if this is true I may recommend to turn YCC 422 off altogether also for "non-PC" profiles.

What do you think is more accurate to you?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Wait, where can I find and change these settings?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
After latest findings, 4:2:2 may not be the best option anymore on Xbox.

This from the 2017 LG OLED Calibrated Settings thread:

I just checked this on the C9 in game mode

dnuImmD.jpg

I couldn't see any perceptible difference, even aligning them with a difference comparison show no difference beyond a lil camera related difference between the two.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I just checked this on the C9 in game mode

dnuImmD.jpg

I couldn't see any perceptible difference, even aligning them with a difference comparison show no difference beyond a lil camera related difference between the two.
Getting close to my B7 panel I personally saw a bit more bleeding using 422 compared to 420, so maybe 422 just works better on C9?

Also, aren't all HDR movies, TV shows and games mastered and graded at 4:2:0?

EDIT:
Unckecking 422 + 8 bit Color Depth + Standard Color Space on Xbox would mean RGB Limited 4:4:4 8-bit for SDR and an auto switch to 4:2:0 10-bit for HDR and 12-bit for DV.

So both SDR/HDR/DV signals will be just passed "raw" as their respective original source to the TV to handle, eliminating any middle re-conversion, therefore would be the more accurate settings (so that would also explain why the console defaults to those values on first configuration with a capable 4K/HDR TV).

Last edited:

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
Hi everyone! Quick question, is there a graphic card capable of utilizing the full capabilities of LG B9 panel (4K 120Hz & G-Sync / VRR)? On my current set up I can only get 120hz @ 1080p, when I go up with resolution I have issues with G-Sync (the tab vanishes from Nvidia Control Panel) and refresh rate is lowered to 60Hz. It's a laptop with 1660ti so maybe that's the reason?

To be honest I'm surprised how well G-Sync works, everything is sooo smooooth.

I am seriously considering changing my GPU in my desktop to the one of newer Nvidia cards if this will get me G-Sync at 4K and 120Hz.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Hi everyone! Quick question, is there a graphic card capable of utilizing the full capabilities of LG B9 panel (4K 120Hz & G-Sync / VRR)? On my current set up I can only get 120hz @ 1080p, when I go up with resolution I have issues with G-Sync (the tab vanishes from Nvidia Control Panel) and refresh rate is lowered to 60Hz. It's a laptop with 1660ti so maybe that's the reason?

I am seriously considering changing my GPU in my desktop to the one of newer Nvidia cards if this will get me G-Sync at 4K and 120Hz.
I had the same issues, the culprit was that my HDMI cable was just old, getting a new one fixed it.

Do not forget to enable Instant Game response and Ultra HD output.

Afaik the 1660ti should do G Sync with no problem.

I have a gaming laptop with an RTX 2060.

In NCVP I can enabled 1440p @ 120 hz, with G-Sync enabled. And yeah GFX cards only support up to HDMI 2.0 for now.

I have the LG C9 in 55 inch.

Jun 1, 2018

there are no cards with hdmi 2.1 right now

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
I had the same issues, the culprit was that my HDMI cable was just old, getting a new one fixed it.

Do not forget to enable Instant Game response and Ultra HD output.

Afaik the 1660ti should do G Sync with no problem.

I have a gaming laptop with an RTX 2060.

In NCVP I can enabled 1440p @ 120 hz, with G-Sync enabled. And yeah GFX cards only support up to HDMI 2.0 for now.

I have the LG C9 in 55 inch.
Thanks! I guess it's the cable. It does G-Sync only @ 1080p. :(
When I switch to 1440p & 120hz the screen goes black a few times and ends up with a super low resolution, something around 800x600.
60Hz works well even at 4K but no G-Sync.

I'll order a new cable today!

there are no cards with hdmi 2.1 right now

Right, makes sense. Do we know if next gen Nvidia cards will have it?