• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FinalDOOM

Aug 7, 2019
have you switched the hdr mode in RDR2 to game mode (cinematic is notoriously dim and not very hdr)
Yes, the hdr profile has been switched to game mode. Still, with HGIG, the picture is very dim, even after a calibration in the game menu. I also noticed that, with HGIG enabled, the 'correctness' of the hdr settings seems to be automatically reached with the default paper white and peak brightness settings.

If you can, could you please take a look at RDR2 on LG C9 with HGIG on the One X?

If not, could you share your optimal HDR settings, within the game and using an OLED tv?

Thanks!

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
tenor.gif

Only problem I'm having with my C9 thus far (other than the fact that I think I'm physically incapable of noticing the difference between SDR and HDR) is that unlike my old Samsung NU8000 (God, what a beauty), it doesn't seem to play nice with HDMI-CEC or whatever the thing was that my old TV that let me to control the PS4 UI with the television remote.

Gurl I'm still having problems with connecting their own soundbar to the TV, they're trash.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
it's apparently been fixed in the latest version that was launched a couple of weeks ago.
It was the autocal part that was generating raised blacks , if the display is calibrated manually then it wouldn't have happened.
Thanks! I'm supposed to have my C9 recalibrated since i had a panel replacement.
Has Vincent reported anything new to you?
There's a lot of confusion in the AVS forums as to this was fixed or not.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Thanks! I'm supposed to have my C9 recalibrated since i had a panel replacement.

The issue was not addressed by the recent firmware upgrade. It's not cause for concern if you're hiring a pro to do a calibration- it's easy to work around/correct.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, the hdr profile has been switched to game mode. Still, with HGIG, the picture is very dim, even after a calibration in the game menu. I also noticed that, with HGIG enabled, the 'correctness' of the hdr settings seems to be automatically reached with the default paper white and peak brightness settings.

If you can, could you please take a look at RDR2 on LG C9 with HGIG on the One X?

If not, could you share your optimal HDR settings, within the game and using an OLED tv?

Thanks!

For you I use HGIG switched on on the TV

in game
HDR in game mode
Peak brightness 700
Paper white 200-300 to Taste, that really should be more than bright enough ( unless you have a bright window or backlighting)

No, he doesn't use autocal. When I validated mine the black levels were ok. Generally I'm not convinced about how well autocal works, I get such variable results whilst actually "calibrating" using the method it makes me question the process at all.

it doesn't help that the documentation is also super bad

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Another dumb question, I have a sound system I put the hdmi from the reciever to the tv. I put it in the one that says arc. My issue is i get sound but no picture on other things such as ps4, switch through my reciever. I put the hdmi into the the second hdmi input slot on the back of the tv and get sound and picture for all hdmi expect for the tv itself like programs already on the tv like Netflix, Disney plus. What am I doing wrong?

FinalDOOM

Aug 7, 2019
For you I use HGIG switched on on the TV

in game
HDR in game mode
Peak brightness 700
Paper white 200-300 to Taste, that really should be more than bright enough ( unless you have a bright window or or backlighting)
Ok, I enabled HGIG and used your suggested settings: I can confirm that in this way the game looks AMAZING!! By looking around in some spots, I think that also the black level is more correct now.

I think that the main difference is due to the peak brightness increase, that I now have to 300.
So, for OLEDs do you suggest always a similar value in those games that have a complete HDR control?

Btw, this tv is amazing: it offers so many options for the gaming usage, combined with the low input lag and the HDMI 2.1. I had a B7 since last month and it is a night and day difference, especially for the HDR gaming.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ok, I enabled HGIG and used your suggested settings: I can confirm that in this way the game looks AMAZING!! By looking around in some spots, I think that also the black level is more correct now.

I think that the main difference is due to the peak brightness increase, that I now have to 300.
So, for OLEDs do you suggest always a similar value in those games that have a complete HDR control?

Btw, this tv is amazing: it offers so many options for the gaming usage, combined with the low input lag and the HDMI 2.1. I had a B7 since last month and it is a night and day difference, especially for the HDR gaming.

If a game gives you a numerical option for peak brightness, 700 should be the fixed value you always use.
For games that have a paper white, I would try and keep it as low as you can handle (150-200 is usually plenty) as the brighter you make things overall, the less that is left over to generate the specular highlights and impactful brights, which is one of the weakness of OLED.

OP
OP

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
If any one else is having issues updating or playing apps through the tv LGs servers are down

OP
OP

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Does anyone elses screen dim with the logo luminance setting on it seems quite aggressive to me I know this was an issue on the 8 series oleds

OP
OP

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Got it on low on my c8 and low on e9. Both do not dim the screen. No need to go above low
I have mine set to Low. What firmware are you on? What Picture mode? Are you watching football on the inbuilt app or external box? And what channel?

Just set up a light meter to see if I'm imagining things. Brightness went down roughly 40 percent after a few minutes.

I'm almost positive that it's got something to do with the logo luminance. If I'm watching football on YouTube that has no scoreboard or logo it doesn't dim. But watching via smart IPTV on any viasat channel that has a scoreboard and a big logo in the top right it dims the whole screen. Switching logo luminance from off to low or high dims the whole screen instantly when I'm on a channel with multiple big logos, so I'm guessing that something is wrong with that setting. Setting it to off does not change the dimming effect, only the amount it dims.

I hope more people can chime in about this issue. As I said before, there was a new dimming algorithm introduced on the C8 that behaves exactly as what I'm experiencing.

If you have Netflix, watch in the tall grass in Dolby vision. Watch the long dark scenes for around two minutes (59:00-01:02 is where it's really noticeable) and then pause and use the remote to pull up the settings and you'll see a noticeable increase in brightness.

Last edited:

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone with an LG B9 (outside the US) have tried to use G-Sync "unofficially"on their TVs?

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
I have mine set to Low. What firmware are you on? What Picture mode? Are you watching football on the inbuilt app or external box? And what channel?

Just set up a light meter to see if I'm imagining things. Brightness went down roughly 40 percent after a few minutes.

I'm almost positive that it's got something to do with the logo luminance. If I'm watching football on YouTube that has no scoreboard or logo it doesn't dim. But watching via smart IPTV on any viasat channel that has a scoreboard and a big logo in the top right it dims the whole screen. Switching logo luminance from off to low or high dims the whole screen instantly when I'm on a channel with multiple big logos, so I'm guessing that something is wrong with that setting. Setting it to off does not change the dimming effect, only the amount it dims.

I hope more people can chime in about this issue. As I said before, there was a new dimming algorithm introduced on the C8 that behaves exactly as what I'm experiencing.

If you have Netflix, watch in the tall grass in Dolby vision. Watch the long dark scenes for around two minutes (59:00-01:02 is where it's really noticeable) and then pause and use the remote to pull up the settings and you'll see a noticeable increase in brightness.

What you're describing is ABL/ABSL. Has nothing to do with the logo dimming feature.

ABSL can be defeated via the service menu. You can find instructions over at AVS Forum. ABL is non-defeatible, however.

FinalDOOM

Aug 7, 2019
It just seems quite aggressive compared to my old c7 and quite noticable
I honestly didn't noticed any aggressive dim during my C9 usage. Anyway, I think that disabling this feature from the service menu is not wise; it is probably present to prevent burn in (among the other features with this purpose).

FinalDOOM

Aug 7, 2019
If a game gives you a numerical option for peak brightness, 700 should be the fixed value you always use.
For games that have a paper white, I would try and keep it as low as you can handle (150-200 is usually plenty) as the brighter you make things overall, the less that is left over to generate the specular highlights and impactful brights, which is one of the weakness of OLED.
Ok, thank you. My actual settings with RDR2 in HDR with HGIG are: peak brightness set at 700 and paper white set at 200. With these, honestly, it looks awesome.

I wonder if there is a possibility to have even better HDR picture in games that specifically take HGIG in account...

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly didn't noticed any aggressive dim during my C9 usage. Anyway, I think that disabling this feature from the service menu is not wise; it is probably present to prevent burn in (among the other features with this purpose).
I think dimming has more to do with power saving feature than anything else, due to various power usage regulations in EU and elsewhere. Has anyone who disabled dimming in service menu ever reported any adverse effects?

OP
OP

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Have you tried to watch football or the netflix show I mentioned I found it really bad on darts but there was the big score logo on the bottom so maybe this was the issue

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ok, thank you. My actual settings with RDR2 in HDR with HGIG are: peak brightness set at 700 and paper white set at 200. With these, honestly, it looks awesome.

I wonder if there is a possibility to have even better HDR picture in games that specifically take HGIG in account...

HGiG has issued guidance to developers for this, again there has been nothing stopping them from doing this before, but because of the unpredictability of displays with weird tone mapping or annoying dynamic systems, there was no point in doing it

FinalDOOM

Aug 7, 2019
HGiG has issued guidance to developers for this, again there has been nothing stopping them from doing this before, but because of the unpredictability of displays with weird tone mapping or annoying dynamic systems, there was no point in doing it
I have another question, regarding the HGIG usage on the Ps4 Pro. Using the HDR HGIG mode, I tuned the system HDR option in the way it is said to do, that is moving the arrows until the logo inside the square is barely visible. I did that for all the three screens.

Games like God of War and Sekiro (the ones I tried after the setup) looks superb. However I noticed that in some scenes the black are somewhat crushed, for example in the cutscene at the beginning of God of War, when inside the house I can clearly see crushed blacks.

This could be due to the particular HDR implementation, but I wonder if there is some setting that hasn't been tuned in the proper way.

I can tell that with these tv exact HDR settings (the default ones but with HGIG instead of DTM), the sample videos looks perfect, with perfect blacks.

Do you have any advice for the system HDR tuning on the Pro?

Thank you!

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
God of War's HDR implementation isn't very good imo
There are huge shifts in contrast , colour and It really looks different between SDR and HDR, something that shouldn't really happen

for GOW I'd leave everything on default.

As for the crushed blacks, It wouldn't suprise me if that is deliberate or again a throwback to the game primarily being art directed in SDR.

FinalDOOM

Aug 7, 2019
God of War's HDR implementation isn't very good imo
There are huge shifts in contrast , colour and It really looks different between SDR and HDR, something that shouldn't really happen

for GOW I'd leave everything on default.

As for the crushed blacks, It wouldn't suprise me if that is deliberate or again a throwback to the game primarily being art directed in SDR.
Ok, thanks. Maybe it's really the way the game has been calibrated. I'll take a look with other scenarios during the game.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use any weird alternate settings, just have Deep Color mode on and Game Mode on in picture mode.
I'm pretty sure that's all we've done as well, and we're happy. Latency seems just as good (or better?) than our Samsung QLED JS8500 we replaced. The INCREDIBLE image quality improvement cannot be understated, though -- the HDR intensity is much higher and more beautiful to behold, and the deeper blacks are unquestionably impressive. Like, I actually just LOVE staring at Tetris Effect on PS4. It's GORGEOUS.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I'm pretty sure that's all we've done as well, and we're happy. Latency seems just as good (or better?) than our Samsung QLED JS8500 we replaced. The INCREDIBLE image quality improvement cannot be understated, though -- the HDR intensity is much higher and more beautiful to behold, and the deeper blacks are unquestionably impressive. Like, I actually just LOVE staring at Tetris Effect on PS4. It's GORGEOUS.

I have a regular launch PS4 and even then games like Uncharted Lost Legacy are so much better looking. I always HDR was just better colors but everything is so much sharper and vibrant, things in the distance looked better and things up close was less jaggy as well.

Also tried Destiny 2 but didn't notice any noticable difference, dark areas were too dark and that game in general runs pretty poor on a base PS4 with a HDD.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
It won't make much difference for 4K, but if you leave it on RGB that is technically the better one. It automatically goes the highest quality for HDR
Ok perfect thank you sir. Also when deciding to set oled light for SDR content will changing the value higher or lower have an effect on the actual picture quality?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ok perfect thank you sir. Also when deciding to set oled light for SDR content will changing the value higher or lower have an effect on the actual picture quality?

The SDR image format is limited in that banding will become more visible the brighter you set it. Whether you see it is another thing.
When calibrating, my set starts at around OLED light 30 before it gets correctly tuned exactly as it should be.

Dec 31, 2017
Has their been confirmation that the whole 2019 line supports 4K at 120hz? Any real life test, not just they say it should work but I might get surprised down the line? Looking at buying one before end of year sales end but not sure if I should or just wait for Black Friday next year for the 2020 models just to be sure. I am looking at a B9 or C9.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
The SDR image format is limited in that banding will become more visible the brighter you set it. Whether you see it is another thing.
When calibrating, my set starts at around OLED light 30 before it gets correctly tuned exactly as it should be.
Ok mine was set to 26 after being calibrated which seems pretty dark for my tastes even in a dark room but maybe I should just get used to it since it's correct. I don't watch too much SDR content anyway.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'm pissed,
I've had my tv for 5 days and it wont turn on properly, it turns on for a second and the light is flashing red

OP
OP

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Okay I'm pissed,
I've had my tv for 5 days and it wont turn on properly, it turns on for a second and the light is flashing red
Is it definitely the tv I had the same issue with my C7 so went out and bought a c9 and that did the same so I exchanged the C9 and that did it too turns out it was a dodgy hdmi to the sky box which was causing it

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I know this isn't technically the right thread but I wonder if anyone know if I should have my 2018 B9 in game mode when playing game to reduce controller input lag? I thought I heard LG patched the TV's so all modes run the low latency mode. Can anyone confirm? Thanks

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Is it definitely the tv I had the same issue with my C7 so went out and bought a c9 and that did the same so I exchanged the C9 and that did it too turns out it was a dodgy hdmi to the sky box which was causing it
Wait so was it an hdmi or TV causing the issue? I have a dennon receiver connected to the TV.

OP
OP

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Wait so was it an hdmi or TV causing the issue? I have a dennon receiver connected to the TV.
Mine seemed to be the hdmi. I even had an electrician out checking the electrics .I narrowed it down to that or the sky box as I didnt have a spare hdmi the day I got my replacement c9 I just used freeview and I had no issues went out the next day bought a new cable for my sky box plugged it in and my xbox one x and I've had no issues since. The sky box was replaced today too just in case that was the issue. Now I have a fully working c7 in the bedroom and to the annoyance of my missus a c9 in the lounge all fully working

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Has their been confirmation that the whole 2019 line supports 4K at 120hz? Any real life test, not just they say it should work but I might get surprised down the line? Looking at buying one before end of year sales end but not sure if I should or just wait for Black Friday next year for the 2020 models just to be sure. I am looking at a B9 or C9.

Even so, I would be more concerned generally that the budget model has a variant of a 2016 processor and 33% less ram than the C9 and E9.
What could this mean for performance and updates in the mid term? and why are you paying 2019 prices for a 2016 display with a 2016 processor running 2019 software.

It might not amount to anything, but it might amount to an app you use being discontinued sooner than the C/E or having other limitations when running certain types of content. Hopefully none

I know this isn't technically the right thread but I wonder if anyone know if I should have my 2018 B9 in game mode when playing game to reduce controller input lag? I thought I heard LG patched the TV's so all modes run the low latency mode. Can anyone confirm? Thanks

I think that game mode is still the most responsive, it has a seperate calibration profile and the screen blanks when you switch to it which is usually an indication it is swapping processing modes around

Dez

Oct 27, 2017
Even so, I would be more concerned generally that the budget model has a variant of a 2016 processor and 33% less ram than the C9 and E9.
What could this mean for performance and updates in the mid term? and why are you paying 2019 prices for a 2016 display with a 2016 processor running 2019 software.

It might not amount to anything, but it might amount to an app you use being discontinued sooner than the C/E or having other limitations when running certain types of content. Hopefully none

I think that game mode is still the most responsive, it has a seperate calibration profile and the screen blanks when you switch to it which is usually an indication it is swapping processing modes around

I don't think this true. Auto low latency mode also has some sort of flicker as it switches, so I doubt there's a difference in latency.

jandg

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
I'm so bummed that my 1080ti doesn't support gsync on the lg c9. Does it work like Freesync that the display actually does support it but you just can see it configured? Because I'm not having any luck activating it if that's the case. I still see tearing

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think this true. Auto low latency mode also has some sort of flicker as it switches, so I doubt there's a difference in latency.

You still see it flick again as you move between the different modes.
Certainly is the case on my C9, however I guess this could be it kicking in the game mode specific burn in protection measures.

I'll see if I can get a conclusive answer

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so bummed that my 1080ti doesn't support gsync on the lg c9. Does it work like Freesync that the display actually does support it but you just can see it configured? Because I'm not having any luck activating it if that's the case. I still see tearing

Yeah having G-Sync over HDMI on RTX and GTX 16XX series and not on the GTX 1080/1070/1060 seems like a pretty dickish move by Nvidia. I still hope it's just a temporary marketing push for their newer cards and there's going to be eventually a driver update for the other models.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

It's only the Turing cards that support it. Nvidia have to give artificial reasons to get you to upgrade now

Hwoar

Dec 16, 2017
Certainly is the case on my C9, however I guess this could be it kicking in the game mode specific burn in protection measures.
I'll see if I can get a conclusive answer

I didn't know that game mode had specific features. So in general, is it recommended to use game mode? Untill now I just used a cinema HDR mode for PC HDR gaming because I thought it didn't mather because of the auto low latency mode.

Also a more generic question for everyone:
The HDMI is set as PC (so PC mode right?), in Nvidia control panel I use 10bit 4:2:2 limited for HDR. I am noticing alot of banding in games. I recently read a few comments about PC mode being buggy with 4:2:2?

Am I doing things wrong?
Should I not use PC mode?
Should I leave the Nvidia control panel settings to "default" instead?
Should I use 4:2:0 in Nvidia control panel?
Is selecting 12bit in Nvidia control panel bad for the IQ? (because the panel is 10bit and so is HDR10 / the games?)

Dez

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know that game mode had specific features. So in general, is it recommended to use game mode? Untill now I just used a cinema HDR mode for PC HDR gaming because I thought it didn't mather because of the auto low latency mode.

Also a more generic question for everyone:
The HDMI is set as PC (so PC mode right?), in Nvidia control panel I use 10bit 4:2:2 limited for HDR. I am noticing alot of banding in games. I recently read a few comments about PC mode being buggy with 4:2:2?

Am I doing things wrong?
Should I not use PC mode?
Should I leave the Nvidia control panel settings to "default" instead?
Should I use 4:2:0 in Nvidia control panel?
Is selecting 12bit in Nvidia control panel bad for the IQ? (because the panel is 10bit and so is HDR10 / the games?)

For the first part of your post, right now there's no evidence that game mode is better than other modes when auto low latency mode has been selected. The only known difference is that you can't use HGIG for disable tone mapping outside of game mode.

for the second part - you should not use PC mode on the HDMI if you're planning on using HDR, as it will cause banding. Just use 4:2:2 12 bit for both sdr and hdr unless you really care about 4:4:4 for viewing text / graphics. If you care about 4:4:4 then you'll need to keep toggling PC mode on and off whenever you switch to HDR (good luck with that)

Hwoar

Dec 16, 2017
For the first part of your post, right now there's no evidence that game mode is better than other modes when auto low latency mode has been selected. The only known difference is that you can't use HGIG for disable tone mapping outside of game mode.

for the second part - you should not use PC mode on the HDMI if you're planning on using HDR, as it will cause banding. Just use 4:2:2 12 bit for both sdr and hdr unless you really care about 4:4:4 for viewing text / graphics. If you care about 4:4:4 then you'll need to keep toggling PC mode on and off whenever you switch to HDR (good luck with that)
First part:
I saw people talk about HGIG, so I noticed that difference between the modes today. In my first testing I didn't really see a difference between HGIG and DTM off though. DRM on just seems necessary to get more standing out brights?

Second: I didn't realise that, I have tested with alot of settings but never specifically tried to prevent "PC mode" on HDMI. I am going to try it.