• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Is it just me or does the PS5 dashboard in HDR look REALLY DIM? My games look fine. I have everything setup as recommended in this thread. I have my TV set to HGIG by default and only flip on DTM for the occasional game that looks better with it on. Anyway, it's just annoying, since, like I said, everything else looks fine. Am I going crazy or is there an issue with the PS5 dash? LG C9 here.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Just got my 55" C1 today after almost a month of excruciating wait (specially since I sold my X900H about 3 weeks ago so I was out of a TV since then).

I'm having an issue with my PS5. It's not detecting the TV as a HDMI 2.1 compatible display. If I fire up a game that switches the game to 120Hz, it'll drop the resolution down to 1080p. It also detects HDCP as 1.4, which is obviously wrong.

Anyone have any idea of what might be causing this? The PS5 (with the same cable, the one included with the console) worked fined at 4K@120hz on my X900H. My Series S also outputs 4K120hz without issue on the C1.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my 55" C1 today after almost a month of excruciating wait (specially since I sold my X900H about 3 weeks ago so I was out of a TV since then).

I'm having an issue with my PS5. It's not detecting the TV as a HDMI 2.1 compatible display. If I fire up a game that switches the game to 120Hz, it'll drop the resolution down to 1080p. It also detects HDCP as 1.4, which is obviously wrong.

Anyone have any idea of what might be causing this? The PS5 (with the same cable, the one included with the console) worked fined at 4K@120hz on my X900H. My Series S also outputs 4K120hz without issue on the C1.
If you haven't already done so, I'd try switching the PS5 to another HDMI port. Could be an issue with the port itself

ShortThug

Oct 27, 2017

It seems to be a current issue with the newest batch of C1s. You can read up on it here and here. Unfortunately no fix yet. Although a Redditor did provide this:

"Hi, Thanks for making me aware of this problem. What fix it for me is: Go to all settings than general, than devices, than in tv Management Turn off quick Start+ and in hdmi Settings Turn off simplink. Than Turn off the ps5 and the tv. Now i have 2.3 support."

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
It seems to be a current issue with the newest batch of C1s. You can read up on it here and here. Unfortunately no fix yet. Although a Redditor did provide this:

"Hi, Thanks for making me aware of this problem. What fix it for me is: Go to all settings than general, than devices, than in tv Management Turn off quick Start+ and in hdmi Settings Turn off simplink. Than Turn off the ps5 and the tv. Now i have 2.3 support."

Thanks. I'll try it out tomorrow!

I don't really care about the HDCP problem since I don't use my consoles for media. But I'm annoyed by the inability to get 4K120hz and I assume it's related.

Last edited:

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
did the newest update for CX manage to make CEC even worse somehow? it's fighting with my harmony again, and it still won't let me use arc without cec being on for this damn tv😔

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a really weird issue with my LG CX : Internet is connected (wired), but all my apps saying that there's no internet on the TV.

Anyone here got that issue ?

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
After doing a little more digging I may just leave my oled light at 25 in sdr for 100 nits. Even though Vincent now recommends 35. I love the guy and I'm not questioning that he knows his stuff. but there's so many times he and different sites go back and forth between recommending different settings.

I just looked at his lg c1 settings vs cx and the color for cx is recommended 50 as most accurate. But he recommends 55 for c1 as the most accurate. He also suggests using 75 oled light for sdr gaming. (Yes he says if your in a room with some light, but he doesn't suggest any other number).

I wish sites were more consistent with their numbers. Did c1 suddenly change or alter something over the cx which makes 55 more accurate or did Vincent just change his mind? Rtings does this a thousand times with their settings flipping back and forth between 85vs90 contrast for no apparent reason.

I'm also gonna keep color at 50 for sdr and hdr games considering all the other accurate picture modes default to 50 color.

Every panel will be different as far as what OLED Light setting will give you 100 nits in SDR. A range of 25-35 is probably around 100 nits on average depending on your individual panel. The only way to know for sure is to get a light meter and calibration software to measure it. For example I have two OLEDs that I have calibrated for SDR Day viewing. One is around OLED Light 70 and the other is around 80 yet they're both hitting the same level of nits output. So again every panel will be different as will model years but somewhere in that range of OLED Light 25-35 is close enough.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What are the PS5 HDR calibration setting "clicks"? I know the last one is 0 for the black screen but what about the first two menus? I only saw the Xbox settings in the OP.
The next two you adjust until 1 click before they blend in. It's only really 1 of those that does anything anyway.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I thought it was click after you don't see the image. Hmmm
It's generally one before or the point as it disappears. Games may interpret the value slightly differently , but I'd opt for just before as it will prevent clipping.
Vincent has a video on it somewhere where he has measured that screen.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or does the PS5 dashboard in HDR look REALLY DIM? My games look fine. I have everything setup as recommended in this thread. I have my TV set to HGIG by default and only flip on DTM for the occasional game that looks better with it on. Anyway, it's just annoying, since, like I said, everything else looks fine. Am I going crazy or is there an issue with the PS5 dash? LG C9 here.

Not just you. I have a Sony Bravia and the dash indeed looks muted and sim a bit with HDR set on(or to the on when supported option).

Turning it off and the tiles and dash suddenly pops with color and improved whites. But of course I keep it on. Sony has struggled with HDR and PS5 since launch it feels.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
If you are in the USA LGs are on sale at Costco starting today and lasting for a month, prices are

48 - $1099
55 - $1299
65 - $1799
77 - $2999
83 - $4999

I'd expect most retailers to start price matching soon.

I've been using a 65 B7 since 2016 or 2017 and it started getting burn in this year after being on for over 18,000 hours so I figure this was a good time to upgrade. User interface feels familiar but also quite different, gonna have to read through the thread and see all the stuff I need to calibrate, tweak, etc. I do have an LG service remote so I can play around with what panel lottery I got, etc once I finish tweaking stuff. Its a bit overwhelming with all the "game mode" and "artists film vision" stuff.

Good thing is ps5, series X, switch, and PC all pretty much just work. I did prep ahead of time and buy a ton of 48gpbs HDMI 2.1 cables and started using them last week on my old TV so it would be an easy swap. Its great how easy it is to setup Netflix, Disney+, etc nowadays with a phone or PC next to your TV.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
If you are in the USA LGs are on sale at Costco starting today and lasting for a month, prices are

48 - $1099
55 - $1299
65 - $1799
77 - $2999
83 - $4999

I've been using a 65 B7 since 2016 or 2017 and it started getting burn in this year after being on for over 18,000 hours so I figure this was a good time to upgrade. User interface feels familiar but also quite different, gonna have to read through the thread and see all the stuff I need to calibrate, tweak, etc. I do have an LG service remote so I can play around with what panel lottery I got, etc once I finish tweaking stuff. Its a bit overwhelming with all the "game mode" and "artists film vision" stuff.

Good thing is ps5, series X, switch, and PC all pretty much just work. I did prep ahead of time and buy a ton of 48gpbs HDMI 2.1 cables and started using them last week on my old TV so it would be an easy swap. Its great how easy it is to setup Netflix, Disney+, etc nowadays with a phone or PC next to your TV.
Nice, but holding out Black Friday for better pricing. Fingers crossed!

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

48 - $1099
55 - $1299
65 - $1799
77 - $2999
83 - $4999

not much of a sale really...I hope BF sales are better.

Anyone have a Sony A90J? I read it's a superior viewing TV and comes out the box better calibrated. Obviously LG has the better gaming features but I wanted a more real-world comparison of image quality.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
It's generally one before or the point as it disappears. Games may interpret the value slightly differently , but I'd opt for just before as it will prevent clipping.
Vincent has a video on it somewhere where he has measured that screen.

In Vincent's video, he found out that in order to reach optimal peak brightness, you have to make the sun icon disappear, without the risk of clipping highlights IRC

Is the no signal bug on the Series X a widespread issue?
I had no problem with my CX until last week.
I found out that I don't need to unplug the hdmi cable and can just toggle off and on the ALLM option in the TV settings, but it's quite annoying to do almost every time I want to play.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
It depends if you solely use your TV for gaming, or if you also watch 24fps content like movies on it too on the same input. The setting "Real Cinema" is greyed out in PC mode which activates 3:2 Pulldown to make 24fps less juddery. I have all my devices running to the same input to the TV via an AV receiver and I use a game console as my media player, so I got sick of constantly changing between PC and HDMI mode when I was or wasn't gaming, so I just stuck with HDMI mode.
I run my gaming PC and consoles to the TV and eARC the sound to the receiver, so I get the best of both worlds. Receivers often support eARC even if they do not support HDMI 2.1.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Not just you. I have a Sony Bravia and the dash indeed looks muted and sim a bit with HDR set on(or to the on when supported option).

Turning it off and the tiles and dash suddenly pops with color and improved whites. But of course I keep it on. Sony has struggled with HDR and PS5 since launch it feels.

Okay well thanks for the reply. I feel less crazy now. Shit drives me nuts though! hah

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Warts and all, I feel incredibly lucky for snagging the 55" C1 for less than a thousand bucks. And I was able to sell my X900H for $800! #blessed.

It's such a noticeable jump in image quality. And the X900H wasn't a bad TV at all (other than the kerfuffles with the HDMI 2.1 features).

Like, I still can't believe it.

Last edited:

Sif

Oct 25, 2017
Honest opinions needed:

I just purchased a LG OLED, and I know their screens are super sensitive to UV and light in general. While I was at work, a friend came by my place and left the blinds open. They were just trying to help me out, but I'm pretty upset and worried about damage showing in the future, as the light was directly on the screen. It was like this for about an hour, with late afternoon Southern California sunlight. I've run tests, and it appears to be fine, no streaks or smudges, but should I be concerned for the long term? Will the damage, if any, show immediately, or is that something that will appear over time? This is my first OLED TV, so I don't have much experience otherwise. Thanks in advance

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
Honest opinions needed:

I just purchased a LG OLED, and I know their screens are super sensitive to UV and light in general. While I was at work, a friend came by my place and left the blinds open. They were just trying to help me out, but I'm pretty upset and worried about damage showing in the future, as the light was directly on the screen. It was like this for about an hour, with late afternoon Southern California sunlight. I've run tests, and it appears to be fine, no streaks or smudges, but should I be concerned for the long term? Will the damage, if any, show immediately, or is that something that will appear over time? This is my first OLED TV, so I don't have much experience otherwise. Thanks in advance

You're 100% fine. Damage would take day after day after day of the same sunlight. As long as it doesn't consistently get hit by direct light, you're fine.

I'm also in Socal if you ever decide to have the TV professionally calibrated.

elproducto

Oct 31, 2017
New C1 owner here. Is there a way to stop the App bar from showing up everytime I turn the TV on. I'm on one of the HDMI inputs, and it sits there until I press return on the remote. Annoying.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I have a really weird issue with my LG CX : Internet is connected (wired), but all my apps saying that there's no internet on the TV.

Anyone here got that issue ?
by any chance do you have a pi-hole or some other custom DNS stuff going on? if so it's possible that some of the LG connections are being blocked by the default filter on pi-hole which I have ran into when setting it up to stop the damn interactive ads from popping up during sporting events.
otherwise you may just need to do a full power cycle on the TV to reset the network

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
DV 120 Hz is worthless. The downgrade in PQ over HDR 120 is not worth it.
I've started a game of Ori 2 and the introduction is terrible in DV 120hz, there was banding everywhere...
If you really want DV, DV 60 Hz is fine.

Maybe they could fix the compression artefact in a future update, but I thing it's a hardware limitation and have really little hope.

If you only care about PQ, use DV 60hz, if you care about PQ and input lag, use HDR 120 Hz.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
DV 120 Hz is worthless. The downgrade in PQ over HDR 120 is not worth it.
I've started a game of Ori 2 and the introduction is terrible in DV 120hz, there was banding everywhere...
If you really want DV, DV 60 Hz is fine.

Maybe they could fix the compression artefact in a future update, but I thing it's a hardware limitation and have really little hope.

If you only care about PQ, use DV 60hz, if you care about PQ and input lag, use HDR 120 Hz.
Are you playing in PC mode? I haven't seen any banding in DV 120hz in Ori 2 on my CX.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Anyone noticing more prominent "chrominance overshoot" on DV video content after installing the DV 120Hz update on their CX? I watched Dune last night in DV and there were so many scenes where the near-black areas of the screen were rapidly flickering. I've had my CX for almost and year and have never seen it behave like this before. I absolutely would have noticed.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
Personally, I can live without DV 120hz.
I'm mostly satisfied with HGIG in recent releases & even if native DV games do offer a noticably better picture in the future - I doubt there will be too many games where I'll feel like missing out with "just DV 60hz".

For this hobby, my C9 is still the one of the best upgrades I've ever made.