• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Option 1a is not recommended (as Option 1b is), and is still only recommended for 2017 OLEDs.

For CX, please, continue reading the OP and you will find suggestions and settings for it, resumed in this overall chart:

91YJhmO.png

Try entering everything from there, and as a last step also do the PS5 HDR System calibration.

Then finally enjoy your games :)

P.S.
For all the games which won't leverage the HDR system calibration, just remember to set in-game Peak HDR Luminance to 4.000 nits (if you use Dynamic Tone Mapping) or 800 nits (if you're using HGIG). Paper White to 200 in both cases.
OOOOOH, there's my error! My own stupid fault!
I wrongly assumed the settings were the same for CX series TV's, eventhough I clearly saw the table you posted in the OP

Thanks again <3

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I know some changes were made recently, so was WebOS + SDR always isf Expert or am I going mad?

I had those same settings set to Cinema instead!

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Can I hit 120 FPS on Destiny 2 on my PS5 with a C9? It seems there's an option for that in the game but I'm not sure if PS5 even supports it?

felipecaol

Jul 5, 2018
Can I hit 120 FPS on Destiny 2 on my PS5 with a C9? It seems there's an option for that in the game but I'm not sure if PS5 even supports it?
Yes! I play in 120fps on my C9 with no problems. As soon as you enter the Crucible, the PS5 automatically changes to the lower resolution to hold the 120fps. Remember that the 120fps mode is only on the Crucible. Main game 4k 60fps all along.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I have a C9 and I'm a little confused. I need to be in PC mode and in Game for consoles + DV content (such as Netflix)?
Yes, when using C9/CX enable PC Mode for all HDMI inputs (for 4:4:4 always enabled when using HDMI 2.1), then use SDR/HDR and DV Game presets on consoles.

If you have Xbox Series X with ALLM enabled, SDR/HDR Game presets will automatically switch to ISF Dark (for SDR) and Cinema (for HDR), which also need to be calibrated when switched there.
If you have PS5 which doesn't support ALLM it's not a big loss, as calibrated SDR/HDR Game will look identical to calibrated ISF Dark and HDR Cinema (on C9/CX).

Ultimately, DV Game preset is the best DV preset of the TV not only for games, but also for movies. ;)

Jul 14, 2020
Yes, when using C9/CX enable PC Mode for all HDMI inputs (for 4:4:4 always enabled when using HDMI 2.1), then use SDR/HDR and DV Game presets on consoles.

If you have Xbox Series X with ALLM enabled, SDR/HDR Game presets will automatically switch to ISF Dark (for SDR) and Cinema (for HDR), which also need to be calibrated when switched there.
If you have PS5 which doesn't support ALLM it's not a big loss, as calibrated SDR/HDR Game will look identical to calibrated ISF Dark and HDR Cinema (on C9/CX).

Ultimately, DV Game preset is the best DV preset of the TV not only for games, but also for movies. ;)

Why I'm confused is
1) why is PC mode the only way to get 4:4:4?
2) why does Netflix need PC mode if the app is native to the TV?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Why I'm confused is
1) why is PC mode the only way to get 4:4:4?
2) why does Netflix need PC mode if the app is native to the TV?
1) Because that's how the TV works. Any other HDMI Icon (not-PC) will just peak its Chroma Subsampling at 4:2:2 max;
2) Xbox has its own Netflix app which support Dolby Vision. The PS5 one should be HDR. Both are independent to the stock webOS Netflix app (you can't enable PC Mode there as it should be native 4:4:4 as there are no cables involved). The advantage of using the console Netflix app instead of the built-in webOS one is basically to leverage real 3D Audio for headphones like DTS: Headphone X and Dolby Atmos for Headphones (on Xbox One/Series X|S) and Tempest Audio (on PS5)

Jul 14, 2020
1) Because that's how the TV works. Any other HDMI Icon (not-PC) will just peak its Chroma Subsampling at 4:2:2 max;
2) Xbox has its own Netflix app which support Dolby Vision. The PS5 one should be HDR. Both are independent to the stock webOS Netflix app (you can't enable PC Mode there as it should be native 4:4:4 as there are no cables involved). The advantage of using the console Netflix app instead of the built-in webOS one is basically to leverage real 3D Audio for headphones like DTS: Headphone X and Dolby Atmos for Headphones (on Xbox One/Series X|S) and Tempest Audio (on PS5)

Okay, thank you. I changed my input to PC, including the Nintendo Switch.

I assume I should just use WebOS SDR settings for my Switch?

My only connected devices are the Switch and Sonos Arc. I don't need a HDMI 2.1 cable to take advantage of any settings/features correct?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Okay, thank you. I changed my input to PC, including the Nintendo Switch.

I assume I should just use WebOS SDR settings for my Switch?

My only connected devices are the Switch and Sonos Arc. I don't need a HDMI 2.1 cable to take advantage of any settings/features correct?
I would still use PC Mode + SDR Game on Switch + C9/CX, just to be sure in avoiding weird input lag issues happened in the past.
As I said, once calibrated SDR Game is as accurate as ISF Dark, so just to be sure.

You don't an HDMI 2.1 cable for Switch (but you will need it for both XSX and PS5).

swazzyswess

Mar 26, 2018
youtu.be

LG CX COLOUR GRADIENT BANDING ISSUE - GAME vs PC MODE - Read Description!

Hello my friends and welcome back to my channel.After I received more and more comments about Color Banding I found it myself when I started playing Hitman 3...

Kind of longwinded but an interesting video about CX banding issues. His conclusion is that there seems to be an issue with gaming mode specifically? But I'm a novice at this and may be misinterpreting.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
So I've noticed that the PS5 is always in HDR mode. From the second I turn on the ps5 my CX flashes the HDR notification and it seems to never turn off. Now I haven't played a non-hdr game yet so maybe that's it, but if I do play a ps4/older game with no HDR will the tv/ps5 adjust automatically or do I need to turn hdr off in the ps5 settings?

Dec 15, 2017
So I've noticed that the PS5 is always in HDR mode. From the second I turn on the ps5 my CX flashes the HDR notification and it seems to never turn off. Now I haven't played a non-hdr game yet so maybe that's it, but if I do play a ps4/older game with no HDR will the tv/ps5 adjust automatically or do I need to turn hdr off in the ps5 settings?
You have to turn it off in settings. The PS5 always outputs in HDR for both HDR and SDR content if its enabled.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
youtu.be

LG CX COLOUR GRADIENT BANDING ISSUE - GAME vs PC MODE - Read Description!

Hello my friends and welcome back to my channel.After I received more and more comments about Color Banding I found it myself when I started playing Hitman 3...

Kind of longwinded but an interesting video about CX banding issues. His conclusion is that there seems to be an issue with gaming mode specifically? But I'm a novice at this and may be misinterpreting.

Seems to be an issue in gaming mode with 120Hz turned on. I'm a bit confused why turning 120Hz on for Series X forces RGB signal, but then when he turns 120Hz off it sends 4:2:0. I have a CX, but I hardly game on it, so I haven't dug too deep into all of these settings and the behaviors myself.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Seems to be an issue in gaming mode with 120Hz turned on. I'm a bit confused why turning 120Hz on for Series X forces RGB signal, but then when he turns 120Hz off it sends 4:2:0. I have a CX, but I hardly game on it, so I haven't dug too deep into all of these settings and the behaviors myself.
Because Series X with manually selected 4K/60hz on its video options will behave in "HDMI 2.0 Mode", as if the cable used is not HDMI 2.1 even if it is (that's why unchecking 4:2:2 Xbox will downsample the signal to 4:2:0 thinking the HDMI cable bandwidth is the 2.0b, even if it isn't).

Manually selecting 4K/120hz will trigger "HDMI 2.1 Mode" with all the bells and whistle, supporting RGB/4:4:4 up to 4K/120hz/HDR with also VRR enabled (you need to use PC Mode on C9/CX in order to go this high with bandwidth).

Oct 25, 2017
I still find the TV too... dark? I guess? Maybe it's just an HDR thing but there's parts in Tsushima or Spider-Man where I can't even see what's around me as it so dark. Not I need to turn up the screen brightness dark but like the shadows and such are just too overpowering. Then I go into an open area and it looks perfect. Tried all the settings here, on Reddit and from HDTVTest and none are to my liking. Kinda sucks.

anyway, if Idon't plan on ever using my PS5/Sx for anything other than gaming... should anything be different? I use an Apple TV for media. Consoles arestrictly for gaming.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Because Series X with manually selected 4K/60hz on its video options will behave in "HDMI 2.0 Mode", as if the cable used is not HDMI 2.1 even if it is (that's why unchecking 4:2:2 Xbox will downsample the signal to 4:2:0 thinking the HDMI cable bandwidth is the 2.0b, even if it isn't).

Manually selecting 4K/120hz will trigger "HDMI 2.1 Mode" with all the bells and whistle, supporting RGB/4:4:4 up to 4K/120hz/HDR with also VRR enabled (you need to use PC Mode on C9/CX in order to go this high with bandwidth).

Interesting. So, if I plan on leaving 120Hz mode off it is better to then leave Allow 4:2:2 checked?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Interesting. So, if I plan on leaving 120Hz mode off it is better to then leave Allow 4:2:2 checked?
On paper, yes.
But in real world still avoid checking YCC 4:2:2 on Xbox as this will enable a "compatibility mode" with worse color accuracy (basically upscaled 8-bit HDR).
That's also why it's unchecked by default.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I still find the TV too... dark? I guess? Maybe it's just an HDR thing but there's parts in Tsushima or Spider-Man where I can't even see what's around me as it so dark. Not I need to turn up the screen brightness dark but like the shadows and such are just too overpowering. Then I go into an open area and it looks perfect. Tried all the settings here, on Reddit and from HDTVTest and none are to my liking. Kinda sucks.

anyway, if Idon't plan on ever using my PS5/Sx for anything other than gaming... should anything be different? I use an Apple TV for media. Consoles arestrictly for gaming.
If you're using the recommended settings in the OP for both the TV, Console (including system HDR Calibration) and Games yet still some games look dark in some scenes, this may depend on how well implemented is the HDR in the game itself.

Honestly: not all games look good in HDR. Some are stellar, some are just ok and few may even be worse than SDR.

Try other HDR games and see how things change.

Universally, just remember to set in-game Peak HDR Luminance to 4.000 nits (if you're using regular Dynamic Contrast or Dynamic Tone Mapping) or 800 nits (if you're using HGIG), and set Paper White or White Point to 200 nits, whenever possibile.

For Movies: using calibrated HDR Cinema preset with Dynamic Tone Mapping on, everything HDR will just look great.

Dec 15, 2017
Huh, that's annoying. And weird, wonder if there'll be a patch for that.
Ya its a relatively well known issue. Hard to say if they'll change it, since it was likely a choice they made simply so that TV's arent swapping back and forth between sdr and hdr like the PS4 pro did. Some TV's are pretty slow at it. They should give the option of either imo, since I'm sure some would favor the accuracy of not putting sdr in an hdr container, while some like the idea of their tv not jumping back and forth or their TV is slow re-displaying the image each time.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
And to call it 'Auto' is wrong when it's just always 'On'.
Exactly, and I also don't like the always on HDR on PS5.

The real "Auto HDR" approach of Series X|S with selected and tested SDR titles (which actually converts them from SDR to great looking/native HDR) is much better. Plus Dashboard, SDR movies and all the rest of SDR games are not altered in any way and remain accurate in original SDR, as it should be.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
Could anybody that has calibrated his CX according to the guide share their HDR settings for Ori and the Will of the Wisps with me? I am still unsure if I "get" HDR, to me all settings look heavily overblown

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Could anybody that has calibrated his CX according to the guide share their HDR settings for Ori and the Will of the Wisps with me? I am still unsure if I "get" HDR, to me all settings look heavily overblown

man CX you virtually dont touch.

Do xbox calibratiob in settings

warm 2 or 1 for me.

does ori have nits and paperwhite?

nits 4000 paperwhite 100-200 with tone mapping

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Thanks to OP and everyone else in this thread.

Impulse picked a CX since they're on sale again and for the value didn't see me going for any 2021 models in my price range.

Not used to a tv with so many individual settings based on signal, and definitely would have been caught off guard had this thread not existed.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Man what a thread! Skimmed through it real quick. While I don't have any consoles hooked, I do have a 3090 PC connected. Been using hdmi icon, but seems like PC mode is the way to go as well?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Man what a thread! Skimmed through it real quick. While I don't have any consoles hooked, I do have a 3090 PC connected. Been using hdmi icon, but seems like PC mode is the way to go as well?
If you have a C9 or CX, yes :)

Just remember to dial-in suggested settings for all presets again, as switching HDMI icon will load an entirely different/separate set of presets for that input.

Marwedel

Banned
Nov 17, 2020
Colour banding issue described by Amok below, seems related to the incoming signal type, with inconsistent results by the TV processing it.
Have to say I get frustrated with it as well.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Colour banding issue described by Amok below, seems related to the incoming signal type, with inconsistent results by the TV processing it.
Have to say I get frustrated with it as well.

Well, this is strange, shouldn't CX + PC Mode + HDR Game preset default to "Auto" Color Gamut?
It seems so based on this Vincent video:

I think Amok is just messing up something (again) in its video...

Plus, keep in mind that when using PC Mode, you should always avoid enabling YCC 4:2:2 on the console as this always cause severe color banding on it.
When using PC Mode just Uncheck 4:2:2 on Xbox (this will result in 4:4:4 both in SDR and HDR there) or manually force 4:4:4 on PS5.

Dec 15, 2017
Well, this is strange, shouldn't CX + PC Mode + HDR Game preset default to "Auto" Color Gamut?
It seems so based on this Vincent video:

I think Amok is just messing up something (again) in its video...

Plus, keep in mind that when using PC Mode, you should always avoid enabling YCC 4:2:2 on the console as this always cause severe color banding on it.
When using PC Mode just Uncheck 4:2:2 on Xbox (this will result in 4:4:4 both in SDR and HDR there) or manually force 4:4:4 on PS5.

When the PS5 outputs 120hz, doesn't it automatically output 4:2:2 as its only option? Does this mean that gettting 120 from the PS5 currently means gauranteeing color banding?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
When the PS5 outputs 120hz, doesn't it automatically output 4:2:2 as its only option? Does this mean that gettting 120 from the PS5 currently means gauranteeing color banding?
When using PC Mode, it could be.
To fix this on PS5 you should use PC Mode with 4K/60hz/HDR + 4:4:4 or quit PC Mode and go back to Game Console HDMI icon with 4K/120hz @ 4:2:2

Dec 15, 2017
When using PC Mode, it could be.
To fix this on PS5 you should use PC Mode with 4K/60hz/HDR + 4:4:4 or quit PC Mode and go back to Game Console HDMI icon with 4K/120hz @ 4:2:2
Interesting.

I had recently been using the 120 modes on Dirt 5 and WRC 9 and I can't say I noticed anything off about it while in PC mode, but maybe I'm just not noticing it yet. I did confirm via the output settings that it was 120 4:2:2 being sent out as well.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Man i dont know if my eyes are playing tricks on me, but i am used to playing with my 3090 PC in HDMI mode, and when i turn that to PC, i feel like im losing a bit of colour, even though my settings are the same?

Edit: Just tested it, my picture looks more colorful in HDMI and Console mode than PC

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Man i dont know if my eyes are playing tricks on me, but i am used to playing with my 3090 PC in HDMI mode, and when i turn that to PC, i feel like im losing a bit of colour, even though my settings are the same?

Edit: Just tested it, my picture looks more colorful in HDMI and Console mode than PC
Check if you're using 4:2:2 on NVIDIA Control Panel.
You want to disable it in PC Mode (in favor of 4:4:4 / RGB Limited) and enable it in regular Game Console HDMI icon.

As per the disclaimer in the OP, if you still have weirdness like this using PC Mode, yeah, it's wise to just revert to stable and tested regular Game Console HDMI icon and stick with it.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017
Anyone know if there's a way to turn off the notice that an HDMI input is "available"? Or possibly reduce the amount of time it displays?

I really don't get this one. I don't need a big obnoxious warning message for such a basic thing like I turned my PS5 or other device on a little early so that it's good to go when I decide to switch over.

I can't seem to find anything in the settings menu, so I'm assuming it can't be turned off, but can't hurt to ask.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Anyone know if there's a way to turn off the notice that an HDMI input is "available"? Or possibly reduce the amount of time it displays?

I really don't get this one. I don't need a big obnoxious warning message for such a basic thing like I turned my PS5 or other device on a little early so that it's good to go when I decide to switch over.

I can't seem to find anything in the settings menu, so I'm assuming it can't be turned off, but can't hurt to ask.
You can pin that HDMI Icon to favorites bar + disable the "No Signal" pop-up from General settings, but that's it.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been having this slight problem, not sure if the LG CX is the issue or my Harmony One remote.

I use my Harmony remote to do different activities where I instantly jump to a desired input (Xbox, PS5 and Apple TV mainly). This works fine when the TV is already on, but not if the TV is off.

The reason for that is because the TV needs to have its Fast Power On setting enabled, otherwise it will boot up too slowly to read the remote's request to go to a specific input.

But recently, enabling my TV's fast boot setting will also automatically turn on its Simplink+ setting. This forces my remote to control the TV's volume, which I don't want (it need to control the volume on my receiver only). Even if I turn Simplink off in the settings, it still forces itself on unless I disable Fast Boot.

Wondering how I can fix this. I tried to see if there was a setting to delay my remote commands so the TV has time to turn on, but I haven't found a working method for that yet.

goaman

Oct 5, 2019
to return to the input lag in pc mode on the c9, i made several tests today on different games the pc mode on the c9 increases the input lag compared to the icon game console mode. I now stay in icon game console mode and game mode with limited on ps5 and low on tv. this only concerns oled c9 because CXs have identical input lag in pc mode and game console mode.
of course in hdmi 2.1 because the measurements made by rtings on the c9 in input lag were made in hdmi 2.0

Last edited:
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
to return to the input lag in pc mode on the c9, i made several tests today on different games the pc mode on the c9 increases the input lag compared to the icon game console mode. I now stay in icon game console mode and game mode with limited on ps5 and low on tv. this only concerns oled c9 because CXs have identical input lag in pc mode and game console mode.
Thank you

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
I've been having this slight problem, not sure if the LG CX is the issue or my Harmony One remote.

I use my Harmony remote to do different activities where I instantly jump to a desired input (Xbox, PS5 and Apple TV mainly). This works fine when the TV is already on, but not if the TV is off.

The reason for that is because the TV needs to have its Fast Power On setting enabled, otherwise it will boot up too slowly to read the remote's request to go to a specific input.

But recently, enabling my TV's fast boot setting will also automatically turn on its Simplink+ setting. This forces my remote to control the TV's volume, which I don't want (it need to control the volume on my receiver only). Even if I turn Simplink off in the settings, it still forces itself on unless I disable Fast Boot.

Wondering how I can fix this. I tried to see if there was a setting to delay my remote commands so the TV has time to turn on, but I haven't found a working method for that yet.
You can add delays for such things.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Is there a PC thread for LG OLEDs? I'm not sure if the Black level set to Auto when using RGB colour format output is correct. Things look a bit more washed out and the blacks seem a bit raised.

If I set it to low, it tends to look a fair bit better - but interestingly - if I set my colour format output to ycbcr444, then 'auto' black level looks like 'low'. Whereas on RGB, 'auto' looks like 'high'.

I'm just confused as people seem to suggest setting it to auto on PC, but I'm not sure if it's working right for me.

(I'm using an RTX 3080, full HDMI 2.1)