• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Got my CX all sorted but my C8 that I have plugged into my PC for occasional lower-needs bedroom
Gaming (spelunky etc) looks really off. Anything special I need to do for PC stuff besides setting it in PC mode? Stuff I need to do on my Pc? The reds pop out too much.

goaman

Oct 5, 2019
Yeah Auto HDR struggles with text/UI elements, especially if they're white. I personally leave auto HDR off for everything. It can look nice given the right game/scene, but it feels a little too artificial for my tastes and I prefer the clean SDR image instead.
on the other hand on ps5 all sdr games are started in hdr and the only option to deactivate it is to put hdr on off in the ps5 settings

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
on the other hand on ps5 all sdr games are started in hdr and the only option to deactivate it is to put hdr on off in the ps5 settings
They're not in HDR, it's just a container. What ends up happening is they end up a bit darker than people are used to because they have their SDR image calibrated brighter.

It'd be nice to have the option to turn it off though.

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
I followed HDTVTests instructions for HDR on Xbox with the first page for the darker screen and lowered it all the way down to 0. Ac Valhalla looks okay now in a medium bright living room. This is with brightness in Valhalla set to 0, 4000 nits and exp set to 0,5. I guess I can raise it a little bit if a run a different game.
I don't want my screen to be too dark but not too bright either so that my eyes hurt.

Reading all the issues with C9, CX with VRR I must say I'm very happy with not upgrading from my C7 this time. LG are producing some amazing TVs but in my opinion they need to sort their shit out with the HDMI 2.1 features right from version 1.0. Not with all these patches back and forth.
Tbh I'm pretty happy with my C7 and don't really need 4k 120 fps in my games as I find 4k and 60 fps to be well enough for now for some years.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Would you be willing to check and tell us how many ticks up from zero you did on each of the system hdr calibration screens on series x? I tried setting it on my own but I feel like my eyes get the image burned in and I have trouble telling after awhile :P

I did, maybe my eyes are just sensitive, not sure what I'm doing wrong lol .

When you have some time, would love it if you can measure how many clicks it took you on the min and max lum, just for shits n giggles :)
I'm still using my beloved B7 with the Option 1b settings in the OP (so based on regular HDR Game preset with DC: LOW and no DTM or HGIG at all. So Max HDR Luminance Target reference of the preset is 4.000 nits).

If you're using the same exact configuration, you can have a peace of mind with the following settings/ticks for Xbox HDR Calibration app.
(If you have a later OLED and using DTM, the ticks should be similar but they could vary a bit. DON'T apply those ticks if you're using HGIG) :

Xbox HDR Calibration Setup for 2017 HDR Game Mode (Option 1b) or 2018-2020 HDR Game Mode when using DTM (no HGIG):
  • First screen / Min. Luminance: +3 ticks
  • Second screen / Max Luminance: +48 ticks
  • Third screen / Max Luminance: +50 ticks

Enjoy :)

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
White text in HDR mode tends to be painfully bright and appears to have the brightness bleed outside the text's borders (though this may be a trick of the eyes because it's frankly hard to look at).
I'm glad it's not just me lol. I have a kinda hard time reading the skill/gadget descriptions in Spider-Man Remastered on my CX for example. Pretty strange experience tbh. I hope developers address this going forward, I doubt it would be too much of a hassle to implement a slider for the UI text brightness (I assume this would fix the problem – on OLED displays anyway).

Pegasos123

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys,
I have a 65 inch LG BX. Which benefits or negative effects do I get from setting the HDMI Lable for PS5 to "PC" instead of "Home Console"?

TotalMackerel

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still using my beloved B7 with the Option 1b settings in the OP (so based on regular HDR Game preset with DC: LOW and no DTM or HGIG at all. So Max HDR Luminance Target reference of the preset is 4.000 nits).

If you're using the same exact configuration, you can have a peace of mind with the following settings/ticks for Xbox HDR Calibration app.
(If you have a later OLED and using DTM, the ticks should be similar but they could vary a bit. DON'T apply those ticks if you're using HGIG) :

Xbox HDR Calibration Setup for 2017 HDR Game Mode (Option 1b) or 2018-2020 HDR Game Mode when using DTM (no HGIG):
  • First screen / Min. Luminance: +3 ticks
  • Second screen / Max Luminance: +48 ticks
  • Third screen / Max Luminance: +50 ticks

Enjoy :)
Awesome! Thank you for this! I'm on a b7 as well. Looking forward to checking out halo 5.

By the way - do you know if they changed how gears 4 does its hdr calibration? I tried your in game settings for that one from the op (8 ticks from left to right) and the not visible eagle is still pretty visible. Maybe they added more ticks?

Thank you again for all your help!

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Figured out why I wasn't quite satisfied with SDR settings on the Xbox Series X: when you set the TV icon to PC, it disables the ability to change Color Gamut.

On Auto, I honestly think the picture is too washed out/lacking vibrancy. Look at colorful non-HDR games like Lucky's Tale for example.

I could maybe come around it, but so far I don't think setting it to PC mode is worth it if it means a more washed out (even if "accurate") picture.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Figured out why I wasn't quite satisfied with SDR settings on the Xbox Series X: when you set the TV icon to PC, it disables the ability to change Color Gamut.

On Auto, I honestly think the picture is too washed out/lacking vibrancy. Look at colorful non-HDR games like Lucky's Tale for example.

I could maybe come around it, but so far I don't think setting it to PC mode is worth it if it means a more washed out (even if "accurate") picture.
Auto Gamut is the most accurate also for SDR, but if you find it too muted color wise you can just increase its saturation using the Color value, for example from 50 to 60.

mapoopam

Jan 8, 2018
For those of you who are following the recommended settings from this thread and have been playing Demons Souls, what in-game hdr calibration settings have you been using? Did you leave brightness, contrast and saturation to their default values? I increased contrast just a bit (pressed right about 4 times) and I feel the image looks more vivid now.

What do you guys think?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Auto Gamut is the most accurate also for SDR, but if you find it too muted color wise you can just increase its saturation using the Color value, for example from 50 to 60.

Hmm, I went as high as 65, but I dunno, doesn't quite match the simple effect that Color Gamut: Wide gives (and I only have to keep Color at 50-55 for that one).

Are there other values I can play with?

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
This shit is way too confusing. And annoying. I bought a CX and a PS5 and that was less bothersome than trying to figure this stuff out. This thread is like 100 pages of people disagreeing with each other. Lol. I'm more confused than when I started.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
This shit is way too confusing. And annoying. I bought a CX and a PS5 and that was less bothersome than trying to figure this stuff out. This thread is like 100 pages of people disagreeing with each other. Lol. I'm more confused than when I started.
They are "suggestions" make your own tweaks for your own personal preference.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry if this has probably been asked before. I'm finding wrc9 and persona 5 royal really dark in some places. They look a lot better without hdr . Am I meant to be turning it off whenever I play non HDR games? Is 'automatic' a lie?

Oct 27, 2017
Just use the settings from the HDTV test thread to get the best accuracy on your CX. The video is focused on the Series X but the TV settings are the same between the consoles.

www.resetera.com

Recommended LG CX/C9 settings for XSX according to HDTVTest

I know when you buy your first HDMI 2.1 oled it can be overwhelming to setup your tv with the refresh rates and HDR settings. This video should get you ready to go with your new Series X in just a few minutes without searching the other threads.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Just apply the overall settings chart for CX in the OP and read the few tips in bullet points just above and below and you're set.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Jumped into Destiny 2 again after more than a year (last I played was shadowkeep) and the game actually looks much worse than I remember it. Jaggies everywhere.

Playing it now on a PS4pro and LG CX and the HDR is atrociously dark. Turned it off, and the SDR is also bad. Crushed blacks, and jaggies everywhere. Anyone playing this on an LG OLED? I'm running it in black level low and RGB limited.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since last update I have a strange issue
eKMTpwc.jpg

This windows always says hdr picture mode even though it's sdr and these are the sdr video modes.

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
Got my CX today and have been trying to get the best set up for my Series X but it seems impossible get the best of both sound and vision.

Series X direct to TV using ARC to Denon: Best vision but horrible audio delay.

Series X direct to Denon: Best sound but no 120Hz or VRR.

And it doesn't look like upgrading my Denon will help because of the 4K@120Hz bug with the chipsets.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Got my CX today and have been trying to get the best set up for my Series X but it seems impossible get the best of both sound and vision.

And it doesn't look like upgrading my Denon will help because of the 4K@120Hz bug with the chipsets.

Welcome to nextgen gaming! You can do earc 7.1 uncompressed if you set the TV to pass through or you can look at buying a sharc by thenaudio.

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
My Denon (AVR-X2500H) only does arc though. Will I get audio delay if I use the optical out from the TV to my Denon?

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017

I have seen a couple of posts about arc delay. I have a C9 and use a sharc for my denon 4520 and I have never noticed any delay. I have a higher level setup and have never had any issues and I would 100% notice these types of issues.

My Denon (AVR-X2500H) only does arc though. Will I get audio delay if I use the optical out from the TV to my Denon?

That's what shARC is for, it allows older avrs to accept eARC signals.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Helped my dad set up his new LG CX today (I own a B7, so I'm mostly familiar with the TV) and was curious about the Peak Brightness setting in HDR content. I assume it's best to just leave it on High, but curious about why you might have it on Medium or Low for HDR content. Keeping it off for SDR video or games makes sense to me, though.

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
Welcome to nextgen gaming! You can do earc 7.1 uncompressed if you set the TV to pass through or you can look at buying a sharc by thenaudio.
I have seen a couple of posts about arc delay. I have a C9 and use a sharc for my denon 4520 and I have never noticed any delay. I have a higher level setup and have never had any issues and I would 100% notice these types of issues.

That's what shARC is for, it allows older avrs to accept eARC signals.
Sorry I need a bit more convincing there's going to be no audio delay when using this sharc device from the LG to my amp. Is it because it's eARC as opposed to ARC that makes the difference?

Truant

Oct 28, 2017

The default LG game mode is like 90% there for most people. The last really important part is to ensure the color space (the full/limited stuff you've probably seen around) matches on your TV and on your console.

The easiest is to just set your CX and your consoles to "limited/low" so that the picture doesn't get washed out or crushed. I know Vince recommends "Auto", but my understanding is that this is is practically the same.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The tiny storage space is the real problem, for both consoles, my XSX is 3/4 filled and I only have AC Valhalla and some 1st party BC games I don't want slow load times on. Can't see any scenario where this won't be a problem throughout the whole generation.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
The tiny storage space is the real problem, for both consoles, my XSX is 3/4 filled and I only have AC Valhalla and some 1st party BC games I don't want slow load times on. Can't see any scenario where this won't be a problem throughout the whole generation.
I would suggest having a big fat external HDD for BC games (which can run directly from there) and for future archiving of exclusive XSX/SSD games.

You would still have around 10 games installed on internal SSD simultaneously and I highly doubt you would need more to be installed to be played at the same time period.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So had my LG CX for a while now and i've noticed that the room I have it in (my home office) seems to gather dust often. What's the best way to clean the screen of these (noticed a smudge too), first time owning an OLED and i'm really paranoid i'm going to ruin the screen.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
So had my LG CX for a while now and i've noticed that the room I have it in (my home office) seems to gather dust often. What's the best way to clean the screen of these (noticed a smudge too), first time owning an OLED and i'm really paranoid i'm going to ruin the screen.
I would just use a microfiber cloth and water (one dry pass to remove dust, a second wet pass to clean, a third dry pass to dry again).

Without smudges you should just pass a dry microfiber cloth to remove dust and that's it.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I would suggest having a big fat external HDD for BC games (which can run directly from there) and for future archiving of exclusive XSX/SSD games.

You would still have around 10 games installed on internal SSD simultaneously and I highly doubt you would need more to be installed to be played at the same time period.
I have a 3TB HDD but I want fast load times so a few games are installed on the internal SSD as well.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

I use a handheld vacuum with an attachment that is just used for the TV, to remove the dust, then use screen cleaner with a microfiber, or water like P40L0 said. Reasoning being, dust rubbed in will cause scratches over time.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Sorry I need a bit more convincing there's going to be no audio delay when using this sharc device from the LG to my amp. Is it because it's eARC as opposed to ARC that makes the difference?

Yes. I bought a new receiver (X2600H) and I have no audio delay with 7.1 uncompressed because it supports earc. Same idea. Now, the TV still has weird audio bugs and I have to switch the Xbox to 5.1 and back to 7.1, but it's not that bad.

Also, bitstreaming Dolby is still problematic.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
You only really need Series X|S optimised games on the internal.
And also not all of them, as MCC and Ori can be played on external HDD even with the Optimized badge.
That's pretty much what I'm doing, plus Retroarch, and with Game Pass that means a lot on the internal. And the gen has just started. It will be a problem.

Edit: Sorry I just now realized I was in a TV thread! lol

The Gentleman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting some slight image retention on my B9 and wondering if it's games or the TV.

I'm especially noticing it where the compass is on ACV. Once I switch to Synin I can see faint black patches where the compass was. Usually switching into the menu gets rid of it but it always comes back and iquite irritating once you notice it.

It's the same with the skills ui in FH4 which sits in the centre of the screen. Fortunately that one can be switched off without impacting the game.

I would switch the compass off on ACV but it makes navigating in quests a pain.

I'm not seeing any retention when watching shows and pretty sure I didn't have it with my Pro.

**Update edit**
Mystery solved, it's the logo luminescence option which dims bright areas to prevent burn in. It dimming sticks around for a few seconds sometimes creating a dirty screen type effect but at least it's there to protect and not some technical issue.

Last edited:

RobPT45

Dec 2, 2020
So If I make my CX PC mode should I not do PC Full on Xbox and Auto on Black Level?
Those are two seperate issues.

Changing the CX input type to "PC" is recommended by Vincent Teoh, EvilBoris, and others to get 4:4:4 chroma and avoid subsampling. This is the only type on the CX that displays 4:4:4. I'm not entirely convinced it's necessary for console gaming, so I don't do it, but I'm sure others around here will chime in if you want more details.

"PC RGB" on the Xbox refers to the quantization level of the color space (not chroma). If every manufacturer just used "Limited" and "Full," it would certainly prevent confusion. Here's the translation for the CX and XSX:
  • Limited = Standard on XSX = Low on CX
  • Full = PC RGB on XSX = High on CX
As long as you "match" the settings on the source and display, you can do whatever you prefer. I've seen good arguments for both Limited and Full.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Got my TV yesterday. Fuck games look incredible on it, even PS4 games. Don't have a PS5 yet, and never had a Pro, so wont' get the full benefits for awhile

Did the settings listed in the first page of the thread. Most of the game mode settings were on what the thread suggested.

Psykoboy2

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Got my TV yesterday. Fuck games look incredible on it, even PS4 games. Don't have a PS5 yet, and never had a Pro, so wont' get the full benefits for awhile

Did the settings listed in the first page of the thread. Most of the game mode settings were on what the thread suggested.
I told you to ready for a religious experience. Once you get these new systems and really see an OLED - like seeing the face of God.