• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

goaman

Oct 5, 2019
I noticed that with Blacklevel/ Color Space on AUTO you will get a mismatch on the C9 if you let the console idle till the PS5 energy saving mode turns it off. After turning the console back ON I noticed the crushed black... and was able to fix it by turning the console HDR settings OFF and ON again.. another reason to not use AUTO and go LOW/ Limited route
I had the same problem by starting my ps5 in rest mode suddenly I leave in limited / limited pc mode

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
This is an aside but I don't know where else to ask, but do any of you have an Apple TV? I can't seem to get my CX to display 10bit colour at all with it. I can get HDR to display 10bit but only if I drop the colour from 4.2.2 to 4.2.0 in the ATV settings, Dolby Vision and SDR content only ever output at 8bit no matter what I do. Am I missing a setting somewhere? The XSX displays 10 bit fine on the dash but again Dolby Vision drops to 8 bit

Sorry if this is a stupid question. This is my first OLED and I'm very confused with different settings lol
That's probably the known issue in LG TV signal info display which won't display correctly 4:2:2 @ 12-bit, and calls it 8-bit even if that's what you're actually receiving and displaying on the TV.
Don't worry about it.

Origo

Jun 1, 2019
Sorry to ask this here but do you have any special settings for a nintendo switch on a LG CX ?

Thanks a lot !

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
HGIG is an active option in the Game Mode picture preset, regardless of the HDMI input being PC Mode or not.
True 444 chroma will be PC Mode. That's a color subsampling thing, not a HDR tone mapping thing, which is not affected by the signal being 444 422 or 420 (the first 4 is the luminance compression factor).
is there really much difference between 444 422 like is it noticeable? i have it set to game mode not pc mode because i like all the options game mode brings as you can also select between the other modes easily if its not set to pc mode. i like to have tru motion interpolation on in some games as standard mode is available with game mode and pc mode has standard mode completely removed. even if you try to change it to another mode, the pc mode will override it always i think.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
is there really much difference between 444 422 like is it noticeable? i have it set to game mode not pc mode because i like all the options game mode brings as you can also select between the other modes easily if its not set to pc mode. i like to have tru motion interpolation on in some games as standard mode is available with game mode and pc mode has standard mode completely removed. even if you try to change it to another mode, the pc mode will override it always i think.
No, the difference between 444 and 422 for movies and games will mostly be unnoticeable (but it will still be there in favor of 444, especially for texts clarity/definition).

Last edited:

goaman

Oct 5, 2019
Also for those curious, here are some quick cell phone pictures demonstrating 4:4:4 in PC mode. Ignore the difference in brightness, that was just my phone's camera adjusting.

Non-PC Mode:
NLpxNKe.jpeg

PC Mode:
99foTn7.jpeg
on the other hand in pc mode I really have the impression of having a higher latency than the game mode on my c9 and ps5 because it does not support allm.

Oct 27, 2017
on the other hand in pc mode I really have the impression of having a higher latency than the game mode on my c9 and ps5 because it does not support allm.
Can't say I've noticed a difference on my CX in Game mode + PC icon. Haven't tested much on my C9 though because it's in the living room and mostly used for TV/movies.

Oct 25, 2017
I used the settings Vincent from HDTV Test recommended and it looks good but is too dark? Like I have to crank up the brightness in Tsushima to 70ish to avoid everything being impossible to see. Might have to try the settings from here and see. Argh.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
good that this issue is wide spread. Maybe LG can come up with a fix some day.
It's not a wide issue. Lots of people aren't experiencing it.

Pretty much every gaming youtuber has an oled. If it was so obvious, you would see lots more reports on it.

I have a lg c9 and don't see it at all.

Oct 27, 2017
I used the settings Vincent from HDTV Test recommended and it looks good but is too dark? Like I have to crank up the brightness in Tsushima to 70ish to avoid everything being impossible to see. Might have to try the settings from here and see. Argh.
HDR is meant to be viewed in a dark room since it doesn't use a gamma curve and instead each pixel has an absolute brightness. If it's too dark you can try turning on Dynamic Tone Mapping which will brighten the overall image, but has side effects and will be less accurate overall.

Maybe someday HLG will take off (which does use a gamma curve) and this mess will get easier lol

Dec 15, 2017
Did you calibrate your PS5 HDR after changing settings?

I had done them in the reverse order and it made a difference when I re-calibrated the PS5's HDR.

Last edited:

Tomcoleman545

Jan 3, 2020
I have the opposite the picture looks washed out, currently in AC Valhalla which I've read the HDR is awful so might have something to do with that. On a C9 black level Low and limited on RGB for PS5 setting's.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Had some questions, sorry if I'm making folks repeat stuff, it's a bit daunting keeping track of settings across multiple consoles:

These all pertain to an LG CX, by the way.

1. What's the recommended max lumen for Assassin's Creed Valhalla? The picture they include for HDR does a poor job showing the difference. This same question pretty much applies to any game on the CX. I believe people said somewhere around 3200?

2. There were some comments about setting the display for the XSX at PC mode was potentially buggy, but some recent comments said it was fine. Where are we with that? Should I set the display on PC (same thing for PS5)?

3. What about the TV's Freesync mode? Should that be turned on along with the VRR mode on the Xbox? Or do I keep one on or neither?

4. Not gaming-related, but are there also recommended settings for watching stuff on the Apple TV (mostly 4K content but SDR too, depending on what's being watched)?

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Wow so got my CX delivered today, took a little while and set it all up based on OP and recommendations in here and holy shit does it look amazing! Now given, my prior tv was a 10 year old plasma, but still, the picture is insane lol. Fired up the forest level from TLOU2 and then watched a bunch of 4k hdr demo vids and I think I'll be doing this all night now ha. (Even using YouTube app through PS4 they looked amazing).

Quick question regarding my PS4 Pro settings...for RGB, should I leave it on limited or switch back to auto? Thanks again OP and all!

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
What games have you tested?
So far the flickering only appeared in two games, Destiny 2 and Far Cry 5.
All the other games I played since I got the C9 I don't notice any flickering.

rdr2, horizon zero dawn, ori and the will of the wisps, control, doom eternal, witcher 3

i don't own those other games.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
P
Wow so got my CX delivered today, took a little while and set it all up based on OP and recommendations in here and holy shit does it look amazing! Now given, my prior tv was a 10 year old plasma, but still, the picture is insane lol. Fired up the forest level from TLOU2 and then watched a bunch of 4k hdr demo vids and I think I'll be doing this all night now ha. (Even using YouTube app through PS4 they looked amazing).

Quick question regarding my PS4 Pro settings...for RGB, should I leave it on limited or switch back to auto? Thanks again OP and all!

Set PS to limited and black level to low on TV

DanWENS

Nov 14, 2019
rdr2, horizon zero dawn, ori and the will of the wisps, control, doom eternal, witcher 3

i don't own those other games.
Apart from Control, all the others I have tested, and none of them I had flickering issue too. So maybe, you didn't see the flickering yet because you didn't play a problematic game.

But my advice is, if you didn't notice it yet, don't look for it, because once you see you can't unsee

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
What games have you tested?
So far the flickering only appeared in two games, Destiny 2 and Far Cry 5.
All the other games I played since I got the C9 I don't notice any flickering.

what is it about those games that would cause it to flicker? Do their FPS vary wildly? are they overly dark?

rdr2 has fps that varies quite a bit. It also has night cycles as well.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago

I agree 👍. I made a thread about getting one and when I said I would follow these recommendations that they were wrong. I definitely don't think that's the case because just watching sdr bkurays and 4k hdr blu rays it's a world of a difference from my last TV. The picture is amazing.

rinse82

Jul 30, 2018
For anyone that's mounted their 77 CX OLED, what do you use?

I'm assuming my old monoprice mount that I've been using to mount my 65 KS8000 isn't going to fly

DanWENS

Nov 14, 2019
what is it about those games that would cause it to flicker? Do their FPS vary wildly? are they overly dark?

rdr2 has fps that varies quite a bit. It also has night cycles as well.
Framerate variation is not a problem, the frametime is. If you use the Msi Afterburner to display the frametime graph on screen, you will notice some small spikes, and these spikes is what causes the gamma flicker.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Had some questions, sorry if I'm making folks repeat stuff, it's a bit daunting keeping track of settings across multiple consoles:

These all pertain to an LG CX, by the way.

1. What's the recommended max lumen for Assassin's Creed Valhalla? The picture they include for HDR does a poor job showing the difference. This same question pretty much applies to any game on the CX. I believe people said somewhere around 3200?

2. There were some comments about setting the display for the XSX at PC mode was potentially buggy, but some recent comments said it was fine. Where are we with that? Should I set the display on PC (same thing for PS5)?

3. What about the TV's Freesync mode? Should that be turned on along with the VRR mode on the Xbox? Or do I keep one on or neither?

4. Not gaming-related, but are there also recommended settings for watching stuff on the Apple TV (mostly 4K content but SDR too, depending on what's being watched)?
1. 4.000 nits if you use Dynamic Tone Mapping (DTM) or 800 nits if you use HGIG. Exposure 0.5 for both;

2. PC Mode seems fixed on CX. Just continue using SDR/HDR/DV Game presets even in PC Mode, with recommended settings in the OP chart (and disable AMD Freesync and Live+ service from the TV) ;

3. Disable AMD Freesync from the TV, as this would disable Dolby Vision on Xbox. VRR will continue to work just fine on Xbox;

4. You can find everything in the first post of this topic.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1. 4.000 nits if you use Dynamic Tone Mapping (DTM) or 800 nits if you use HGIG. Exposure 0.5 for both;

2. PC Mode seems fixed on CX. Just continue using SDR/HDR/DV Game presets even in PC Mode, with recommended settings in the OP chart (and disable AMD Freesync and Live+ service from the TV) ;

3. Disable AMD Freesync from the TV, as this would disable Dolby Vision on Xbox. VRR will continue to work just fine on Xbox;

4. You can find everything in the first post of this topic.

Thanks a lot, appreciate it.

So 4,000 nits is what I should have for most games? This includes on top of the console HDR settings (which I wonder what the point of it is if I still have to fine-tune the HDR settings for each game)?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Thanks a lot, appreciate it.

So 4,000 nits is what I should have for most games? This includes on top of the console HDR settings (which I wonder what the point of it is if I still have to fine-tune the HDR settings for each game)?
Yeah, just remember that system HDR Calibration must be the last thing you do after setup both the TV and Console properly and before playing games.

New HDR games that will apply the system HDR calibrations results shouldn't ask you to tune HDR in-game anymore, but just pick the system results.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I cannot get my LG CX to show gsync options in the nvidia control panel no matter what I do. I have freesync enabled on the tv. Any ideas? It's connected to a 1080ti.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Are the settings from the OP enough to reach the the ideal iq or do I need to mess with white balance settings as well?
It's better not share WB or CMS values as they are too much panel-dependant.

General/Overall settings in the OP will be more than enough for a reference PQ and the only way to further improve from there will be hire a professional calibrator which will improve WB/CMS in place for your unique panel/TV.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot get my LG CX to show gsync options in the nvidia control panel no matter what I do. I have freesync enabled on the tv. Any ideas? It's connected to a 1080ti.
I don't think the 1080 Ti supports gsync through hdmi. I believe support for HDMI VRR only started with the 16xx and 20xx GPUs. It sucks because I also have a 1080 Ti :(.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
How do the PS5's RGB modes (limited, full) correspond to the Series X settings of Standard and RGB. I have an LG 4K computer monitor with HDR that both my systems are hooked up to. For that monitor Series X needs to be in RGB and monitor needs have black level set to "High." The PS5 RGB setting is on "Auto" and that looks correct also.

I know on the CX (I have one in my living room) black level should be set to "Low" and Series X should be on Standard and PS5 can remain on "Auto." Just curious what the specific setting should be for PS5 on the monitor with black level "High." Slightly off topic, but you all are experts!

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
How do the PS5's RGB modes (limited, full) correspond to the Series X settings of Standard and RGB. I have an LG 4K computer monitor with HDR that both my systems are hooked up to. For that monitor Series X needs to be in RGB and monitor needs have black level set to "High." The PS5 RGB setting is on "Auto" and that looks correct also.

I know on the CX (I have one in my living room) black level should be set to "Low" and Series X should be on Standard and PS5 can remain on "Auto." Just curious what the specific setting should be for PS5 on the monitor with black level "High." Slightly off topic, but you all are experts!
RGB Full (or PC RGB on Xbox) + Black Level: High (for your Monitor)

RGB Limited (or Standard Color Space on Xbox) + Black Level: Low (for CX)

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Just use the suggested settings for SDR Game with Sharpness 15 and put Switch to RGB Limited / Standard Color Space @ 8-bit
Switch looks great on my CX with these settings, but I've bumped sharpness to 25.. is that too much? Also how do I put standard color space 8 bit? I can only find the RGB limited setting in the switch settings.