• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Tencent will be the buyer. I do think Sony need to make some huge investments though - they are behind in multiplayer and service offerings in their ecosystem. If they aren't the dominant platform their income will plummet.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Tencent will probably buy them.

Imo, SIE should focus on buying studios, not Sony Corp.

I'm not sure it would really make a difference. In the case of a Sony Corp acquisition, either they'd let Leyou continue to operate as an entirely separate subsidiary, or they'd transfer those studio assets to SIE. I'm not sure any other Sony subsidiary would be in a better position to take over operation of those assets.

Is this Sony deal happening?

Sony is one suitor, but I wouldn't say they're the frontrunner here. Leyou wants to sell, the most recent development is that Tencent is joining the fray.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I'm not sure it would really make a difference. In the case of a Sony Corp acquisition, either they'd let Leyou continue to operate as an entirely separate subsidiary, or they'd transfer those studio assets to SIE. I'm not sure any other Sony subsidiary would be in a better position to take over operation of those assets.
Lets throw it to SMEJ just for fun lol.

Deleted member 14927

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's Tencent

https://www1.hkexnews.hk/listedco/listconews/sehk/2020/0710/2020071000536.pdf

The Board announces that on 10 July 2020 (before trading hours), Mr. Yuk and the Company entered into an exclusivity agreement (the "Privatization Exclusivity Agreement") with Tencent Mobility Limited (the "Potential Acquiror"), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tencent Holdings Limited, a company whose shares are listed on the Stock Exchange (stock code: 700), regarding a possible acquisition and privatization of the Company (the "Possible Privatization").

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So yeah, Tencent will likely close this deal. They have 3 months to do so before Leyou can talk to others again. In the meantime they cannot negotiate with any other party.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Platform Warring; Accumulated Infractions
I wonder how many people in this thread posted "I'm glad Sony didn't acquire this company" yet were jumping up and down with delirious excitement at the thought of MS buying WB Games?

Yes, yes, that's one Venn diagram I'd be interested in seeing.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I wonder how many people in this thread posted "I'm glad Sony didn't acquire this company" yet were jumping up and down with delirious excitement at the thought of MS buying WB Games?

Honestly very few people care about the studios owned by Leyou. Unless they are deep Warframe players or they are aware that Splash Damage is a close MS partner no one cares about this acquisition on ERA.

It gained interest over here only because Sony Corp was mentioned.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

i wished for both this by sony and the other by microsoft. Because i believe microsoft would easily be a better consumer choice for the WB catalog than the likes of ACti, EA or 2k.

According to folks here tencent doesn't affect the western output as much as they MTX the shit out of the chinese releases..........whos to know if this will change that though.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
i wished for both this by sony and the other by microsoft. Because i believe microsoft would easily be a better consumer choice for the WB catalog than the likes of ACti, EA or 2k.

How would potentially locking popular WB properties, that have been multi platform for years, such as Batman and Harry Potter to a single platform be a 'better consumer choice' exactly?

Honestly very few people care about the studios owned by Leyou. Unless they are deep Warframe players or they are aware that Splash Damage is a close MS partner no one cares about this acquisition on ERA.

It gained interest over here only because Sony Corp was mentioned.

That's true. I fully admit that this might have totally passed me by if it hadn't been for all the 'heat' the original thread caught on here.

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018

The same would happen if MS was interested in the company instead of Sony. Console warriors gonna console warrior.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I wonder if Tencent plans to do a streaming service in the future. They surely have the content lol.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
How would potentially locking popular WB properties, that have been multi platform for years, such as Batman and Harry Potter to a single platform be a 'better consumer choice' exactly?

That's true. I fully admit that this might have totally passed me by if it hadn't been for all the 'heat' the original thread caught on here.

I highly doubt microsoft would touch the multiplats......they have NEVER worked that way. Minecraft is on a sony console. Any current projects in development would still exist on the other platforms. Plus microsoft is going big into PC......unlike Sony at least we have another platform to choose.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I highly doubt microsoft would touch the multiplats......they have NEVER worked that way. Minecraft is on a sony console. Any current projects in development would still exist on the other platforms. Plus microsoft is going big into PC......unlike Sony at least we have another platform to choose.

So, hypothetically speaking, you're telling me that if MS bought the whole of WB Games they would let Rocksteady continue to make Batman games for the PS5?

And MS sticking first party games on PC as some kind of runner up prize for Sony gamers isn't consumer friendly in the slightest.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
So, hypothetically speaking, you're telling me that if MS bought the whole of WB Games they would let Rocksteady continue to make Batman games for the PS5?

And MS sticking first party games on PC as some kind of runner up prize for Sony gamers isn't consumer friendly in the slightest.

Matt Booty literally said in an interview that the company will release multiplatform ports when and where it "makes sense".

"I think we would. I think that the question is less binary about, 'should it be on Switch, should it be on PlayStation?' and more, 'does it make sense for the franchise?" Booty explained.
"In other words, is it a kind of game where it would benefit from the network effect of being on a bunch of different platforms, or is it a game where we can best support it by putting resources and making sure that our platforms, things like xCloud and Game Pass and Xbox Live, are really leaning in to support the game?"

If they feel the sales are enough they will do it.

Question would be, will Sony allow you to login to an xbox account on the playstation.........THATS the blockade.

Microsoft has a huge advantage in that....sure you could buy the game for $60......or play it day one "free" on gamepass. Its a major selling point. They already said despite acquiring double fine, they can still release multiplat games if they wish.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017

I think the games will stay multiplat if the purchase comes with licensing rights to WB/DC/LEGO.

If not, then probably not.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
On the one hand, as an Xbox fanboy, I'm super happy that they get to continue their relationship with Splash Damage and Certain Affinity.

On the other hand, being fully objective, Sony was the best of the options. They need more Multiplayer experiences and they are for the most part super dev friendly. Tencent exerting yet more control scares me. It would probably lead to an acquisition war, same will happen if Xbox gets WB, but at least I would be less concerned about my data.

My hope *knock on wood* is that this takes Tencent out of the running for WB at least. I would even take EA over them for a company of that size.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Matt Booty literally said in an interview that the company will release multiplatform ports when and where it "makes sense".

If they feel the sales are enough they will do it.

Question would be, will Sony allow you to login to an xbox account on the playstation.........THATS the blockade.

That's clearly a reference to Minecraft whose whole business model is based on being available on a variety of platforms and was already established when MS purchased the company.

I don't for a single second believe that MS would (potentially, they haven't even opened WB Games open to bidding BTW) spend four BILLION dollars on a studio acquisition and then release said titles on a rivals platform. What would be the point of making such an acquisition in the first place?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
On the one hand, as an Xbox fanboy, I'm super happy that they get to continue their relationship with Splash Damage and Certain Affinity.

On the other hand, being fully objective, Sony was the best of the options. They need more Multiplayer experiences and they are for the most part super dev friendly. Tencent exerting yet more control scares me. It would probably lead to an acquisition war, same will happen if Xbox gets WB, but at least I would be less concerned about my data.

My hope *knock on wood* is that this takes Tencent out of the running for WB at least. I would even take EA over them for a company of that size.

Wouldn't they want to do their own games now with full backing?

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I don't for a single second believe that MS would (potentially, they haven't even opened WB Games open to bidding BTW) spend four BILLION dollars on a studio acquisition and then release said titles on a rivals platform. What would be the point of making such an acquisition in the first place?
To make back the investment easier. That said, I suspect if MS gets WB.

- All current announced projects and contractually obligated projects come to PS4/5

- LEGO games continue to hit all platforms.

- The rest are locked to the Xbox ecosystem

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
That's clearly a reference to Minecraft whose whole business model is based on being available on a variety of platforms and was already established when MS purchased the company.

I can't see WB allowing them to take the rights of harry potter, DC and what not and making them exclusive. AT&T still has a massive debt to pay, they want as much licensing/sales money as they can get.

There would be some huge caveat to that purchase. While yes the studios can do whatever they want, I highly doubt the IP's will be free reign. Much like EA and Star Wars.............despite how bad thats been so far outside of fallen order.

AT&T is reportedly discussing a sale of its Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment gaming division, according to numerous reports. The deal could come in around the $4 billion mark and could have a licensing component that would still generate revenue from the intellectual property.

Deleted member 14927

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Maybe timed releases or accessible via the Xcloud app on PS5.

Maximise your revenue, but try and draw people into your ecosystem

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Well, Tencent is interested in all companies lol

giphy.gif

I'm going to bed lol

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what Kenichiro Yoshida's plans are. First he made a deal with Microsoft for partnership with Azure, then the Epic deal & came close to getting Leyou. I really thought the Leyou deal was a way to bring back another gaming division within Sony Corp., but now I'm unsure exactly what his mission is.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Why? Tencent basically has a monopoly in online games.
Tencent doesn't really cares about platform exclusives, nor about changing the businesses they're investing in.
I'm not sure what would be the issue with them just putting in more money in Warframe and Splash Damage (and more), especially when they are western companies. It's not like anything changed for Riot or Funcom (amongst others), nor for their players.

edit: Dust you should update the OP btw, they've confirmed it's Tencent:

The Board announces that on 10 July 2020 (before trading hours), Mr. Yuk and the Company entered into an exclusivity agreement (the "Privatization Exclusivity Agreement") with Tencent Mobility Limited (the "Potential Acquiror"), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tencent Holdings Limited, a company whose shares are listed on the Stock Exchange (stock code: 700), regarding a possible acquisition and privatization of the Company (the "Possible Privatization").

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder what Kenichiro Yoshida's plans are. First he made a deal with Microsoft for partnership with Azure, then the Epic deal & came close to getting Leyou. I really thought the Leyou deal was a way to bring back another gaming division within Sony Corp., but now I'm unsure exactly what his mission is.
I honestly don't know what his vision is, for the entire Sony Corporation, to be honest.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
With Tencent going in, Leyou would need to have a very specific goal with favouring Sony.
Tencent doesn't really cares about platform exclusives, nor about changing the businesses they're investing in.
I'm not sure what would be the issue with them just putting in more money in Warframe and Splash Damage (and more), especially when they are western companies. It's not like anything changed for Riot or Funcom (amongst others), nor for their players.

edit: Dust you should update the OP btw, they've confirmed it's Tencent:
Updating as we speak.