• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck to you, OP. I cannot help you, but I support the visibility of your cause.

The trailer I'd like to get my hands on is a high quality version of the Metroid Prime live action commercial from 2002. It was released in theaters for a short time!
This one can already be found online, but only in abysmal 2002 era quality as far as I can find.

This screenshot posted by the FX company makes me wish I could see it in this level of quality.

rFpV05t.png

I might have to use some form of this image as my avatar... 🤔

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Take a look at source [11], it does not mention a platformer at all, it merely says:

That's very interesting..........GbtG's Wikipedia page seems to state false information in other areas. For example, the article states the game started development after the release of Conker's BFD (with no source backing that up, mind you) which would mean sometime on or after March 2001. Meanwhile, the Tepid Seat interview about the game with Rare that is linked to elsewhere in the article has Rare directly stating that the game started development in October 2000.

Another interesting thing in the Tepid Seat I found was that the game originally was going to have more "adventure elements" and that they'd give the player more choice in how they progress through the game if they could change anything about the game if they had more time. So clearly the game was kind of rushed. They state numerous times in the Tepid Seat that they were given a strict deadline for Ghoulies and they were trying their best to get used to the way Microsoft does (or did) things.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have Prime (and have had it since the day Insider launched with that Retro Car Combat screen). The link does not work. However, I used to download and save files like that ALL THE TIME and it's possible it's still sitting on an old hard drive. I will do my best to dig; no guarantees.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I have Prime (and have had it since the day Insider launched with that Retro Car Combat screen). The link does not work. However, I used to download and save files like that ALL THE TIME and it's possible it's still sitting on an old hard drive. I will do my best to dig; no guarantees.
Finally someone checked, thank you! :D

Shame that the video is gone, unless it's in another area? I mean there's plenty of vids from that time that are still up at IGN.

And please do check when you can! Thanks! :)

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Good luck to you, OP. I cannot help you, but I support the visibility of your cause.

The trailer I'd like to get my hands on is a high quality version of the Metroid Prime live action commercial from 2002. It was released in theaters for a short time!
This one can already be found online, but only in abysmal 2002 era quality as far as I can find.

This screenshot posted by the FX company makes me wish I could see it in this level of quality.

rFpV05t.png

I might have to use some form of this image as my avatar... 🤔
Whoa, that screenshot makes me really excited for a reason. I wonder if the master version of that is still out there, somewhere? We may never see it :(

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A trick can be to find a Prime video url and change the url of the DKR video to match.

Edit: Someone in the IGN thread suggested this:

I'm guessing this still doesn't work?
Nope, it's a 404. They didn't move the Insider content to Prime, it looks like they just removed it. In the old days the Insider site was updated just like the other console-specific IGN sites (or movies, music, comics, etc). Prime was more of a site-wide initiative, it wasn't an editorial site like Insider was.

I dug out an old external hard drive that I think was from that era, but it's firewire and my current computer doesn't have a port. It also uses USB, but it's a Type B (ugh) connector so who the heck knows if I have one of those laying around.

EDIT: Work IT dept to the rescue. I now have a cable but who the heck knows if that drive has the video. We shall see.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Nope, it's a 404. They didn't move the Insider content to Prime, it looks like they just removed it. In the old days the Insider site was updated just like the other console-specific IGN sites (or movies, music, comics, etc). Prime was more of a site-wide initiative, it wasn't an editorial site like Insider was.

I dug out an old external hard drive that I think was from that era, but it's firewire and my current computer doesn't have a port. It also uses USB, but it's a Type B (ugh) connector so who the heck knows if I have one of those laying around.

EDIT: Work IT dept to the rescue. I now have a cable but who the heck knows if that drive has the video. We shall see.
If you don't have a USB Type-B cord, I'm sure you can get one for a few bucks at most computer stores.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
I have access to the IGN backend. I'll see if it can be tracked down that way. Lots of old pages are broken or missing after multiple design revisions over the years. It's hard to even access my own written articles sometimes.

Lucas M. Thomas

Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Here's the direct page for the video, which still lets you watch it. The quality isn't great, though. May even be worse than what's on YouTube.

www.ign.com

Rare Donkey Kong Racing GameCube Trailer (Low-Res) - IGN

IGN is your #1 destination for all video game news, expert reviews, and walkthroughs.

In fact, it looks like IGN's version cuts out several seconds at the end. Sorry this isn't the Holy Grail you were hoping for, Hero.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Here's the direct page for the video, which still lets you watch it. The quality isn't great, though. May even be worse than what's on YouTube.

www.ign.com

Rare Donkey Kong Racing GameCube Trailer (Low-Res) - IGN

IGN is your #1 destination for all video game news, expert reviews, and walkthroughs.

In fact, it looks like IGN's version cuts out several seconds at the end. Sorry this isn't the Holy Grail you were hoping for, Hero.

Been vaguely following this thread and it's still cool to see the mystery solved.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think that's the video Hero of Legend already found. The issue here is the 20MB 640x480 video posted at the same time by IGN Insider. That's what he's been trying to hunt down. I may have a copy downloaded (as I've been an Insider / Prime member since launch and have problems hording digital files), but in those days Insider would often post better quality footage than was available to the free IGN sites.

www.ign.com

Donkey Kong Racing Hi-Res Movie (GameCube) - IGN

Check out a high resolution video of Donkey Kong Racing for GameCube. The 640x480 resolution is the only way to see the lush worlds Rare is hard at work designing.
RSmaFIJ.png

Lucas M. Thomas

Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Well, if there is or was a better version of the same video, the backend article publishing page I tracked down doesn't connect to it. It's just attached to the version I posted. :/

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Vader noooooooo...! Thank you for trying. There definitely was a better version at one time but it may be lost like tears in rain.

Lucas M. Thomas

Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Sorry! Yeah, the way the backend publishing system is set up, the normal version of the video is attached as an object related to the content of that article, as are several screenshots, but since the 640x480 version was just posted as a raw hyperlink is the body of the article, it was never connected in any way in the backend.

The good news is I thought this search had hit a dead end with my defeat, but I was wrong. The search continues if someone managed to download and keep a copy of that file years ago.

The bad news is the 640x480 version, even if found, might be missing that same chunk of seconds at the end of the clip.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
*Portals blasts in the background*
"To your left-click."

Anyways, did IGN archive all their old video media pre-IGN Insider days? I still remember back when it was IGN64.com, and even way back when it was N64.com.

At this point, I think even old video files couldn't capture all the detail from press-materials back then considering the compression algorithms back in the day. It might be better to hunt down the press tapes and find a way to cleanly rip-off video from them (either using S-Video or RGB/SCART).

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
I know I downloaded this back on my old desktop and totally still have the hard drive for that. Not sure what the video quality is though.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"To your left-click."

Anyways, did IGN archive all their old video media pre-IGN Insider days? I still remember back when it was IGN64.com, and even way back when it was N64.com.
A lot of it is still accessible! Which is kind of a miracle given what I know about their back-end. I've been visiting pretty much every day since they launched too (has it really been nearly 25 years?) and still remember all of the old guard fondly.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Here''s a fun fact; GameSpy would actually have Insider-only vids as public access. Case in point; the ye olde Super Smash Bros. Brawl E3 2006 trailer that was 360p and 60fps. I myself saved the raw URL!

The funny thing is, a Metroid fansite kept a proper 480p 60fps, watermarkless version on their site which was found by Nirbion on twitter. Here's the raw url:

Who knows if GameSpy has the DKR video somewhere.

Edit: Looks like their page is barren.

Also, I upscaled the Brawl trailer to 1080p on YT for HQ preservation:

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Looking into this for ya'll.

We have... hard drives.

Dave Toole and Peer literally tracked down the backup drive this was on and uploaded this for ya'll:

www.ign.com

Donkey Kong Racing GameCube Hi-Res Trailer - IGN

At E3 2001, Rare and Nintendo showed off a pre-rendered trailer of its kart-influenced animal racing game, Donkey Kong Racing. The trailer used in-game models and, according to Rare, tried to simulate the look the developer was trying to achieve with the final game running on Nintendo GameCube...

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing. You guys are incredible! One of my backup drives was a bust so I'm glad I don't have to keep digging. :)

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Amazing. You guys are incredible! One of my backup drives was a bust so I'm glad I don't have to keep digging. :)
Can you grab the highest-quality version via Prime? The download is Prime-locked. Thanks! :)

Send it to me via Mediafire. I'll get it upscaled for as good viewing on YT as possible (well 1080p, 4K would take a good while and is that worth it?) as I demonstrated above.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I will PM you. I believe this was originally in DVD resolution, so some of the versions appear to be upscaled. Perhaps IGN's tool does that automatically?

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Sure, I will PM you. I believe this was originally in DVD resolution, so some of the versions appear to be upscaled. Perhaps IGN's tool does that automatically?
I managed to grab the video with my downloader. It's 32.7MB at 1440x1080. How big is the file via Prime? Usually the direct display video is compressed compared to a potential downloadable version.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I know everyone is talking about the video they were really after, but speaking of Grabbed by the Ghoulies, I have a version of one of the later trailers for the game available in a higher quality than what's on YouTube. I got it from a cereal box DVD that I recently found among all my stuff.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Sent them all your way. The biggest file was 33,476KB/32.6MB according to Windows 10.
Yep!

Working on them now. NOW, some other options to uncover some stuff:

- Lossless Sonic DS Tech Demo E3 2004 screenshots. All that exist as crusty ones. Which is a crime as this was to me the best graphical showcase of the system. I mean look at it!
- A HQ version of the Raven Blade trailer (especially if it actually had audio) would be huge.
- Not to devalue this find, but surely a original-quality Donkey Kong Racing trailer straight from Nintendo with the full cut is out there somewhere?
- There's still a possibility of finding the best-quality Pokemon Battle Revolution debut trailer. Mine I think is 90-95% of the way there since mine was based on a direct-recording of the 240p stream, but I had to work off of a processed video since the original recording was lost, but it may not be much better in the end.

Just a few suggestions.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Dave Toole and Peer literally tracked down the backup drive this was on and uploaded this for ya'll:

www.ign.com

Donkey Kong Racing GameCube Hi-Res Trailer - IGN

At E3 2001, Rare and Nintendo showed off a pre-rendered trailer of its kart-influenced animal racing game, Donkey Kong Racing. The trailer used in-game models and, according to Rare, tried to simulate the look the developer was trying to achieve with the final game running on Nintendo GameCube...
I love when it all comes together