• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
If y'all aren't getting hazard pay.. that's bullshit. Even the ones that are aren't getting enough imo.
Grocers sure aren't going to need a bailout anytime soon.

I used to actually re-front shit I took but shelves are too bare to bother now.

You are on the front lines and deserve to be compensated for it.

o7

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
Been to the supermarket 3 times this week, probably got 30% of what we needed. I know though if it's not on the shelf, there is no point bothering the staff. Luckily, we still have takeaway joints and Uber eats still available as a backup.

what I want to know is how are people storing all this stuff in their homes and how are they paying for it? Credit cards are going to come due sometime...

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I work at Walmart and at this point my care level had dropped off significantly. I don't even work grocery or restocking regularly but since lawn and garden doesn't need me that's what I'm doing at the moment.

If a customer is being shitty to me, I can't help them. If they're kind I'll walk that extra mile.

If someone tries to make a snide remake of why the shelves are empty I say "Capitalism. If people didn't buy anything the shelves will be full."

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
This is my take as well. I mean, I know that humans (myself included) aren't rational. But yeah, unless everyone is expecting to be literally unable to get to a grocery store for the next few months, there is absolutely no reason to buy in these volumes. We're not magically requiring more calories and shitting more because of the pandemic. You still need roughly 14,000 kcals in a week and probably no more than a roll of toilet paper per person per week. No one is going to stop you from restocking a week from now, no one is going to force you to starve in your own house. You can go out and get more at a later date.

I understand this but honestly the fact that the stores are still gonna be there in a week doesn't make me not want to stock up on stuff

being able to still get things later doesn't mean I dont also want to buy way more than I usually would to minimize my shopping trips during a virus outbreak

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously there's no way we should be accepting aggressive behaviour but stupid questions and having to smile and be pleasant are part of the job.
The problem is that literally EVERYONE is hoarding shit. That's my big issue working in the grocery business rn. I've been working everyday for over a week now and it's the same people coming in buying tons of milk, bread, meat, etc. Everyday and they have the audacity to ask if we have more when they already bought a month's worth of product. That isnt providing for your family, that's being a selfish cunt. What's worse since they're mass buying perishable products a lot of it is going to waste instead of being given to people that actually need it.

A lot of them think we're going to be closed if a statewide quarantined happened for some reason. I think a lot of misinformation is spread on Facebook about this pandemic that got people in this shopping spree.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I truly feel for you grocery clerks and anyone that has to deal with random people on a constant basis with minimal pay in times like these. It is a shit look; the greed, fear, hoarding, all of it.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Everyday and they have the audacity to ask if we have more when they already bought a month's worth of product. That isnt providing for your family, that's being a selfish cunt. What's worse since they're mass buying perishable products a lot of it is going to waste instead of being given to people that actually need it.

This is exactly why they had to ensure that only the seniors and vulnerable folk can get in for the first hour of opening. I do wonder if measures are going to be taken to help those folks with vouchers get what they need. If those few hoarders are buying up those specific items or anything they can get their hands on including the relatively few items that their vouchers allow them to get, they essentially can walk out of the store empty handed.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
You can tell the grocery store people are on edge. A guy put more than two packs of meat in their cart and the employee is like "YOU ALREADY HAVE TWO!". Definitely don't envy that job.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
So there is no stock in the back of a grocery store. It all goes straight from truck to shelve? That is a super efficient model and I am very impressed.
Normally there would be a little bit of stock in the back but thats only when theres no room to put out more. In times when the shelves are bare everything goes out.

klez

Oct 31, 2017
So there is no stock in the back of a grocery store. It all goes straight from truck to shelve? That is a super efficient model and I am very impressed.

As a produce manager in a decently large supermarket in Canada, backstock are usually kept to a minimum to maximize cash flow (retail HATES backstock and usually has a way smaller backstock and backstock room than you think), so when you don't see a thing on the shelves right now, chances are no we don't have it in the back.

Honestly I think people need to remember the clerks are also human and treat us as such, there's no need to go berserk on my minimum pay clerks at this time, it doesn't help you get what you need, doesn't help the clerks to do their job, and you're just risk contacting more people when you want to keep your social distance.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Aside from demanding things be in stock that we don't have, my favorite is the people coughing/sneezing into their hands (if they covered up at all) and then touching stuff or handing money. Also licking their fingers while counting cash.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since we're passing helpful tips ITT, OP, like half of your post is invisible with the light theme because of the white text.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I've worked in retail for many years, online and face to face. Some people are nice and some people suck. I always treat people how I want to be treated.

I can understand that sometimes stress just boils over, especially now when jobs are being lost, kids are home and stores are empty and we are in a pandemic that no one knows when it will end. Not having X item must just be the breaking point for someone that day. It isn't ok or right but I can understand it. People are scared and that sometimes brings out the worse it people.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that literally EVERYONE is hoarding shit. That's my big issue working in the grocery business rn. I've been working everyday for over a week now and it's the same people coming in buying tons of milk, bread, meat, etc. Everyday and they have the audacity to ask if we have more when they already bought a month's worth of product. That isnt providing for your family, that's being a selfish cunt. What's worse since they're mass buying perishable products a lot of it is going to waste instead of being given to people that actually need it.

A lot of them think we're going to be closed if a statewide quarantined happened for some reason. I think a lot of misinformation is spread on Facebook about this pandemic that got people in this shopping spree.

I think ALL stores need to limit things right now, so that no one can come in and buy 50 packs of meat. Obviously some people do have big families and buy for family members but no one needs to buy a whole cart of meat.

I also hope this situation also teaches people to always have stock of stuff in their house. Having 1 day of food and 1 roll of toilet paper in insane and we literally have no idea when Covid 19 will last of when the next shut down will occur.