• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty typical list looking at other replies lol, but for me it's the

1. Load times - I mean, these have always been a sore, and made less bearable on console since I've had SSDs in my PC for years
2. Quick Resume - I don't see myself using it to "swap between games." When I'm playing a game, I'm playing that game. I'm more interested in putting a game in suspend mode and turning off my console and quickly getting back to it later when I'm ready to continue.
3. Performance. Of course! Performance! Yes! I'm just looking forward to seeing games have a better chance at hitting 60 without needing to run on that Jaguar processor.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I'm looking forward to:

1. the Dual Sense and haptic feedback and seeing that really changes how games feel.
2. 3D audio. I never play with headphones but I have purchased the 3D pulse and want to immerse myself in games more with the headphones.
3. The SSD. I think it will change how games are designed and played.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
1. Demon's Souls
2. Xbox jumping head first into making lots of seemingly great 1st party games
3. the return of Syphon Filter and Perfect Dark

May 10, 2019
917.gif

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Biggest thing Im actually looking forward too
right now is hopefully a PS system that doesnt sound like a jet taking off, and waking up the whole house. And adaptive triggers could be cool.

BlueBrand

Oct 28, 2017
*Subscription models like Game Pass, i've never watched as many tv shows and movies since getting Netflix, Amazon and D+, can't wait for the games industry to go this way.
*Baseline for graphics and load speeds has brought up, can't wait to see improvements to IQ, lighting and framerates. Looking forwards to the GAAS i'm playing getting updated to take advantage of a lot of this new tech.
*VR, after playing Alyx I need more, mods are not cutting it and i need more content, and am so excited for the future of this medium.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
I have a bunch of stuff aligning all at once that I'm really excited about that goes beyond just next gen consoles. But I'll start with the consoles:

Next Gen Consoles:

Day 1 Games! (only going to discuss launch as there's soo many games I'm excited about like Everwild, Deathloop, Kena......)
  • Demons Souls looks outstanding
  • Spiderman MM
SSD
  • massive quality of life improvement (faster loading, getting in and out of games etc)
  • hopefully minimizes/reduces some work for devs
  • allows for potentially newer types of experiences, or experiences we've had in the past at a previously never reachable level of fidelity
  • hopefully allows smaller studios/Indies
3D/Spatial Audio Tech
  • I'm so happy that both consoles have made significant investment here
  • besides the obvious, substantial improvement to audio, the fact that both boxes have dedicated hardware for it, ensures that adoption will be significantly higher than if only one box had included something like this
CPU > GPU improvements
  • games already look pretty and next gen games will look prettier
  • but more importantly a massive much needed improvement on the CPU side
  • better frame rates!
Cautiously Optimistic:
Dual Sense
  • Probably what I'm technically the most hyped about
  • VCA haptics + adaptive resistance triggers sound magical, if Sony can nail this and get developer buy in, I can really see this taking off
  • VCA haptics in a device of that size could be absolutely incredible
  • I'm so hyped just thinking about all the potential with the controller

Ancillary to next gen consoles I also have some other stuff that I'm getting in the next 3 months:

PC + GamePass
  • building a PC for the first time (long overdue and been thinking about doing it for the past decade)
  • 3080 pushed me over the edge, was thinking SX, but since all MS games are going to PC as well, figured I may as well finally build this box
  • making a significant investment $ into the PC, so I'm pretty excited
4K HDR OLED TV
  • Bought a CX 55", been using a 10 year old 1080p TV (that has served me exceptionally well), but getting the CX sometime in the next 2 weeks

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
-Fast loading for current and next gen
- the return of long lost genres that started a comeback in the PS4/ Xbox One era
- new IPs

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
1. NVME SSDs. These are going to revolutionize game design and remove so many limitations.

2. Zen 2 CPU cores. Again, this is a colossal leap over the Jaguar CPU cores in current consoles. AI, physics, dynamic systems, world complexity, etc, are about to make generational advancements.

3. DualSense controller. Can't wait to try out the new design, new haptics feedback in games, adaptive triggers, etc.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
The thing that makes me most excited about next gen is Xbox with 23+ studios launching games into Game Pass day one. That's just insane to think about. We'll be getting brand new games every other month.

Beyond that, much shorter load times should bring a big quality of life improvement to console gaming.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
1. I'm excited to see what developers are able to do with more power. Not exactly on a raw graphics output, but in terms of art styles and animations, and just overall creativity. I hope to see more colorful and beautiful games.

2. I'm excited to see the industry to continue to move forward with more crossplay. I'm excited that more and more gamers can buy on their platform of choice and still not be limited to who they play with.

And honestly that's it. I don't care for quicker load times. Or anything like that. I just want to see more creative games and happier gamers.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
1. CPUs first and foremost. Even with 5400 RPM drives, a good CPU would mean so much. Physics, AI level, and amount of NPCs. Just the types of things you can do in a game. If we hadn't been limited by shitty 2011 netbook CPUs (remember how bad CPUs in laptops were, even more compared to desktops then than now), that were already awful for netbooks when they came out. So freaking bad. Just. Imagine what could have been. Also, 60 fps.

2. SSD. I cannot believe we are on shitty laptop 5400 RPM hard drives. Man they couldn't have even done 7200 RPM drives? Why did we get stuck with shitty laptop drives again. Why. I totally want to echo Jeff Grub's comments on his Series X hands-on. I honestly resent these consoles because how are we using hard drives for boot devices in 2020.

3. 3D audio. I really hope that Microsoft really pushes this, because it seems Sony is. Audio is so fucking overlooked and it's criminal. This is the big leap we need to happen. I'm begging developers to really use this.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping for a leap in game physics and animations, like when I'm watching the Demon's Souls gameplay, everything looks great until you see the player land an attack on the enemy and all you see is a damage animation play out and some blood particle effects. It looks fine and that's the standard, but for next-gen I want to see real time damage, like a slash scar appearing on the enemy, and real-time damage on the armor or clothing.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PS5 preorder secured.

Short load times is gonna be amazing.

New controller and UI.

Games! Demons souls, spiderman and dmc5 se.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
2. The growth of settings that allow for fidelity vs performance modes.

This is a great one I didn't even think about. The mid gen refresh consoles kind of started it, and it seems to be getting even more common. Hope it happens more often. It's a great compromise to hit that 4K bullet point, while also appealing to gamers who want a more responsive 60 fps at perhaps a lower resolution.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
- Technological advancements that allow better use of SSDs across the board: PS5 IO, Xbox Velocity Architecture, RTX IO...
- Advancements in the accuracy, convenience and quality of VR: PC headsets are always moving forward of course, but PSVR2 is in the pipeline and it seems like it'll move console VR forward by quite a leap. Everyone stands to benefit from that, including PC and standalone VR.
- Xbox unified ecosystem across devices progressing further and further. Hopefully a during this gen we'll reach the point in which the Xbox and Windows 10 game stores are the same, with the same library or at least a significant majority of games being available and cross-buy on both. I want this to go even as far as to bring Xbox BC to Windows 10. Just go nuts.

Oct 25, 2017
All the technical stuff people mentioned, but right now I'm mostly hyped about Demon's Souls and Returnal, both of which look so damn appealing to me, and I can't wait to try out the DualSense with Astro Bot.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they have a performance mode which seems to be a growing trend these days.

Yeah. I mean, a game running at 900p30 on xbox one, as Elden Ring likely will, should definitely run at least at 1440p30 on xbox one x, or unlocked maybe 1440p40. We don't know since apparently they're updating their lighting tech (I can't source that right now, sorry. I think it was Omni from here). But yeah a game doing that should definitely be able to hit like, I feel like even being conservative 1800p60. So I don't even know if it'd need a performance mode. Just a single high res mode that only activates on xbox series X and PS5. I'm pretty sure Microsoft has worked to make that very seemless. Hopefully so has Sony.

But yeah then again this is FROM's engine we are talking about here. Hopefully a lot of the work that has gone into it since Sekiro is noticeable and has an impact on performance.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
In no particular order:
  • Great games from the get-go =Spider-man and Demons' Souls at launch? Damn! Coupled wih Cyberpunk 2077 and Yakuza 7? Jesus! With Ratchet&Clank and Horizon 2 and god know what else in 2021? Oh my God! And GOW2 and FFXVI within reasonable time-frames? Somebody stop them!!!;
  • Incredible systems = fast, powerful, snappy, incorporating elements and philosophies from current gen without starting from scratch, I know I'll feel right at home from the beginning, just on a whole other level;
  • Outstanding immersion = out-of-this-world graphics, more 60fps options, haptic feedback and 3D audio. I am so giddy and would like to move into a bigger house with a big ass TV only to experience it to its fullest.
Honestly I'm mostly completely postiive on next-gen, I think most of the issues we see now will be ironed out come Year 2.
And from there it will be smooth sailing with mindblowing systems playing tsunamis of incredible titles.

Oct 26, 2017
For me its gonna be:
1) New IP. The start of generations is always the most fruitful for new games and series
2) Consistent frame rates, hopefully at 60.
3) On a personal level, finally being able to see the games I work on released to the public 🥳

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
New good gaming experiences. I enjoyed stuff like The Outer Wilds and Journey to a Savage Planet and I hope for more.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even have a full HD TV (still rockin 720p) so I don't really care about 4K or super graphical fidelity.

The one big thing about the PS4 gen (and previous gens obv) that bothered me is the loading times and that's set to be all but taken care of with the PS5. The prospect of being able to just jump into a game (near) instantly, respawn instantly, move to a new area instantly, etc. is tremendously exciting.

I remember at the end of the PS3 gen I was like "I don't care if PS4 games look exactly like this, as long as they get rid of loading it'll be a good gen" and now it'shappeningisn'tit.gif

Oct 27, 2017
1. When my next gen console arrives and I unpack it and set it up. I will be really excited here.

2. Turning on my new next gen console for the first time and marvel at all the new cool stuff and features.

3. Installing Cyberpunk 2077 and finally start playing it.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Seeing if Forza Horizon series continues on the upward slope. If they can manage to top 3&4 it will be something special.

See how Gamepass evolves, what kinda games it can get in day one.

Elite controller V3. See what kinda goodies they can cram in.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
now that were getting closer to launch day nad of the rumor of titanfall 3, im starting to get stoked for the Dual Sense triggers, i wonder if they will do a thing for like machine gun recoil on the triggers

ket

Jul 27, 2018
1) GoW5 & Elder Scrolls 6
2) Faster start-up times
3) Faster load times

delete

Jul 4, 2019
Yeah. I mean, a game running at 900p30 on xbox one, as Elden Ring likely will, should definitely run at least at 1440p30 on xbox one x, or unlocked maybe 1440p40. We don't know since apparently they're updating their lighting tech (I can't source that right now, sorry. I think it was Omni from here). But yeah a game doing that should definitely be able to hit like, I feel like even being conservative 1800p60. So I don't even know if it'd need a performance mode. Just a single high res mode that only activates on xbox series X and PS5. I'm pretty sure Microsoft has worked to make that very seemless. Hopefully so has Sony.

But yeah then again this is FROM's engine we are talking about here. Hopefully a lot of the work that has gone into it since Sekiro is noticeable and has an impact on performance.

Elden ring is their most ambitious game yet, a true multiplatform AAA title, sekiro was a big improvement from what they had in dark souls 3 but they need an even bigger improvement into Elden ring.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Graphics are a major thing for me, as games like Uncharted 4 still look incredible and thats years old by this point.

I want speed and quietness from the console itself.

Acheteedo

Oct 27, 2017
PSVR2
Game Pass

^I barely have any gaming time these days, but I still gotta buy both consoles! Argh

Henry.Swanson

Jan 27, 2018
fromsoft abandoned DS2's preferred aetheric due to console technical limitations and I bet they gave up on the DS1 open world design subsequently for the same reason. Hopefully after ER us done they can return to that now.

NotUS

Oct 27, 2017
1: Really looking forwarded to seeing a AAA open world game built from the ground up for next gen, fully utlising the SSD, GPU and CPU. Hoping Rockstar and CDPR will bring something amazing to the table.

2: Better animation, and significant increase in quantity of characters on the screen.

3: Big improvements in physics, environmental interaction and destruction.

Oct 28, 2017
1. A move towards platform-agnostic services like Game Pass
2. Cross-platform multiplayer becoming a standard
3. Speed and convenience

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Load speeds, the games (Demon's Souls, Horizon, Returnal, God of War and FFXVI), and uh... I dunno about the third. Haptic are cool I guess.
Definitely mostly just about the games though (as it probably should be).

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
SSD. 3D Audio. The biggest game changers in my opinion. Plus we will have pretty powerful machines for a relatively low price, since not everyone can invest in a gaming PC.