• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
1. Watching my amazing girlfriend get hyped to play AC Valhalla on our brand new series x she put over 200 hrs into Odyssey and isn't as excited for Valhalla but I know she will get more excited near launch I think they have done a shit job marketing Valhalla.

2. The moment I see an old friend the Vanguard boss in Demon Souls I spent hours learning his pattern in beating him without dying on PS3. I can't wait to fail all over again launch weekend hopefully while getting use to the dual sense feedback

3. Starting a cyberpunk playthrough only to wait after the patch in early 2021 to finish it.

Launch day playing Fuser if my series x doesn't show up it's seriously one of my most anticipated games and having that will make me not concerned about watching for delivery

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
1. More awesome games launching in the first year than any previous gen transitions ever.

2. SSD allowing freeform level designs, instant loading, better assets, etc...

3. New Toy! I love dismantling my new toys and putting them back together on day one.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Very disappointed that Bugsnax isn't on anyone's list.

1. Quick Resume / Instant on
2. Better Sound
3. SSD features!!

Mar 8, 2018
I'm going to be so happy to leave current gen consoles behind. The more time I spend with them, the more outdated and archaic they seem. I'm excited for platforms like XSX and PS5 that seem better situated to evolve with the times over the next several years.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Hoping that the new hardware will help evolve open world games considerably. Devs will no longer have such a limited memory budget.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
1.) DLSS - This is a huge game-changer in my opinion. It will allow us to game at higher settings and higher framerates on PC with only a small hit to IQ. Hope it's implemented in the Super Switch and maybe the PS5 and XSS/XSX eventually.
2.) Game preservation - I'm obsessed with the idea of playing the best version of every game I'm interested in. Last gen, we saw a huge push towards PC gaming, which helps with that a lot. Microsoft started releasing all of their games on the PC, and eventually started to release their games on Steam. Even Sony's testing the PC waters a bit (really hope this continues!). Between PC ports, more buying options (would love to see more publishers embrace DRM-free releases), and console backwards compatibility, there's a lot of hope for getting the most out of the games we buy now in the long-term.
3.) 3D Audio - Sony's focus on improved audio immersion should really help push the gaming industry toward improve sound options.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
1. SSD and all its amazing ramifications.
2. Sony devs having a headstart with franchises and tech, not having to transition from Cell.
3. Backwards compatibility and performance updates for all the PS4 titles that are in my permanent play rotation.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
1. Getting a Zen2 + RDNA2 based system with one of the fastest SSDs available for a fraction of the cost of building an equivalent PC.

2. Demon's Souls.

3. Replaying some older PS4 favourites (like Until Dawn) with better frame rates.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
1. More realistic third person adventure games.
2. Sony's new controller.
3. Better performance for competitive gaming.

Bonus: A UI layout that looks fkn awesome and feels great to navigate, also updated qoL features to things like broadcast.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
  1. The overall speedier experience of interacting with the consoles
  2. Being able to enjoy all of the Microsoft first-party games on Day 1 without having to figure out whether I should pay $60 (or 70!) today versus wait 6-12 months and save 33-50%
  3. Whatever the fuck Rockstar has in store for these next-gen consoles with GTA VI

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's still video games, but backed by even better hardware, which will expand what's possible with design and creativity! As far as my engagement goes with video games, I've really only felt disengaged at two points in my entire life: once when I purposefully took a year off from video games after years of pretty hardcore World of Warcraft addiction to focus on actually expanding my real-life experiences; and the second time was the last year or so of previous (PS3/360/Wii) generation when it felt too long in the tooth and games just felt like they lacked the horsepower they needed to feel like polished experiences, which bled into the first couple of years of the current gen, resulting in what was a 3 year streak of what felt like kind of depressed creativity in gaming — at least to me, aside from stand outs like Last of Us 1. Outside of that, I've not been all that bored when it comes to video games the rest of my life and I'm going into this next generation on some strong momentum I began to feel from this generation back in 2015 with the release of Bloodborne and Witcher III, and my own personal forecast of interest is still looking really good.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
1. Fast Load Times (consoles have needed this FOREVER)
2. HDR/RT/4k punch to the face (Series X)
3. Playground Games Rare's Next Game/Bethesda's Next Game/Forza Horizon 5 (and like 20+ other games)

Sep 7, 2020
Great games, great graphics, hopefully new IP, hopefully IP that has been dormant. Hopefully more communication between developers and fans but most importantly.......

GIVE DEVELOPERS MORE MONEY, LESS CRUNCH, MORE TIME and/or RESOURCES TO MAKE THE GAMES THEY ENVISION. I THINK WE WILL GET BETTER GAMES BECAUSE OF IT. CHEERS.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Mostly that Sony and MS will undoubtedly need a year or so to work out the kinks, which will lead to Nintendo dominating with a killer 2021.

BOTW2 next year, BELIEVE!!!

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Quick Resume
Generalized Fast Loading going forward. More than anything else, the slow waiting times are what pushed me to PC gaming.
Generalized Performance increases thanks to non-shitty CPUs.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for the PS5
1). Amazing launch line up of games.
2). What looks to be an epic year/s in terms of games output from their exclusive library
3). DualSense controller sounds super interesting and I want to see how it is utilized
4). SSD is looking like a game changer for the industry, especially with the specialized I/O
5). The promise of the future is bright considering Sony's track record in providing amazing experiences, whether VR, Next-Gen first and third party exclusives or whatever new IP they throw my way.

Ghost of Tsushima finished up their amazing generation spectacularly and I look forward to another great generation going forward.

#BringBackApeEscape

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Load times on console is the big one for me. I've had an SSD on PC for years and this gen the difference in load times became extremely noticeable.

Also the possibilities of GamePass is exciting to me. As I get older a big problem for me in convincing my friends to play the same games as me is just getting them to buy the thing. Almost all of those same people sub to GamePass since they see the value, and it makes that initial jump to get in to something that much easier.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
The SSDs on both will be better quality of life for everyone overall; that has me happy about next gen.

The Hardware is a significant jump for both and should last a good amount of time before Devs max them out (though with mid gen refreshes being popular last gen they may still do it).

3D Audio I think will become much more common and could really be immersive as time goes on.

Jan 9, 2018
True 4k
New experiences made possible by new hardware
Playing 4k updates of old games
Fast loading
Xbox exclusives (new studios)
Ps5 exclusives (god of war 2 etc)
The next evolution of sports games

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Enhanced BC - from what Series X has already shown, it at least justifies my preorder. Those gains look excellent.
Games - nice and broad, but Sony's year 1 looks amazing assuming everything holds and Gamepass has plenty of content. Best of both worlds for me. Capcom also looks to be on fire - Monster Hunter on the Switch, awesome SFV characters for the next year, RE8 (hopefully in VR) and DMC5 SE, pretty fucking good lineup.

And saving the best for last

Yakuza's Dragon Engine in 60FPS. Believe it or not, the short PS5 clips shown off yesterday for 7 on the PS5 got me more hyped than anything else (and I say that having already put a good 200+ hours into the PS4 version). I can't wait to replay it in March, and can't wait for all subsequent Yakuza games that use the engine to hopefully have similar silky smooth looking performance.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
- Moving to SSD and a good CPU have to be top of the list because they bring so much: UI responsiveness, 60FPS as a common thing, short load times, etc.

- I'm looking forward to seeing what the smaller studios MS bought can do with more time and money, especially Obsidian, Double Fine, InXile

- PlayStation 1st party is going to melt people's minds going from 1.8TF and a Jaguar to 10TF and a Zen 2. (Not trolling, I'm sure MS will too eventually but PS set the standard here and for good reason, and they look to be farther along in terms of what we've seen from each.)

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
SSDs because I have one in my PC and I've been spoiled.

Backwards compatibility for people other than Xbox owners (so I can trade in my PS4 instead of trying to figure out where to make space).

Graphics. Love me some beautiful visuals, and I can only imagine how things will look when this next gen hits its graphical peak.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
1.More power
2.More power
3.Raw power

Bonus: BC improvements to games I haven't finished
Bonus 2: Xbox's First party output over the next gen
Bonus 3: Framerates

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
1. Going back to the Xbox ecosystem after not owning a Xbox One all this gen.
2. The tower of Latria on Demon's Souls.
3. Enjoying some BC titles on the Xbox with improved resolutions/framerates.

Good times ahead folks! :)

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
1)I've had an LG C9 for almost a year and I never played anything above 1080p on it. So there's the fact I'll be using more of my TV potential.
2)The new games
3)Playing some old games with upgrades.
4)SSD!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
OP nailed it pretty much. responsiveness when I have more than 100 friends in my friends list, quick loading, pretty graphics. and stability. I'm totally fine with 30fps for many games if its done well but I'm curious to really make my C9 sing

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Game Pass PC growth
Playstations first party output
Nintendo's upcoming output (they've been 9th gen for a while now)

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
  1. The overall speedier experience of interacting with the consoles
  2. Being able to enjoy all of the Microsoft first-party games on Day 1 without having to figure out whether I should pay $60 (or 70!) today versus wait 6-12 months and save 33-50%
  3. Whatever the fuck Rockstar has in store for these next-gen consoles with GTA VI
The first two are what I'm interested in:

1. Specifically, more power for better games.

2. Actually being excited about a Microsoft console.

3. Different from yours, but basically the new devs that will arise with this next generation, utilizing new techniques and technologies for their game.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
The overall speed in UE... faster OS, faster loading, faster responsiveness, everything. Shit you can feel.

The amount of BC games like wow

The barrier of entry with all access is greatly reduced

The GFX

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Launch specifics
- My daughter is really looking forward to MM. She's just done a mainline re-run through Spiderman (she'd already finished it last year along with all the DLC) so she can refresh her memory before the new one.
- Demon's souls I seem to remember a level like a spooky prison with witches in it? But only got a couple of levels in before messing things up in the nexus attacking an NPC by accident. So I never finished it. Super looking forward to it

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
DuelSense. Having some new forms of interactivity with a game world is always interesting. And haptic feedback and resistive triggers sound pretty excellent.

Heavily reduced load times. Nothing frustrates me more than a game in which you die a lot. But you also have to wait 30 seconds for a reload. I'm Hoping this will be a thing of the past moving forward.

And last but not least, the sequels to some of my favourite games ever coming so soon. I'm so psyched to be getting more Spider-man, Ratchet, Horizon and GOW within the first year.