• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is wrong with Banished Phantom?

800px-HW2-phantom_01.png
Is that phantom supposed to be the same one in my post? Ignoring that its a comparison between a top view and a bottom view they still look completely different to me (different nose design, no turret below nose, different rear, other details, etc).

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
One thing I don't get is, even discounting the uninspired character design, the technical execution doesn't even live up to mid-current-gen throwaway characters:

xq72wcg2noxwaroanfiu.gif

shadow-mordor-r4.jpg

2688706-hoshgrish%20the%20friendly%21.jpg

Like, that Brute's supposed to be one of the main villains? It looks like the LOD didn't load in the iteration intended to be used when the character is closest to the player or something.

This is supposed to be next-gen (well, cross-gen, but they're trying to entice people to buy a system that they're billing as "the most powerful ever"), but in their trailer glamor shot of a main character you can see the polygons that make up his face underneath the washed-out, ill-defined facial texture.

Just bizarre.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
Your photoshopped edit is good shit. It's just like the gun detail photoshopped going around. There's these tiny little details that 343i can add that will make the game much prettier. I hope they see all this shit instead of just memes.

49oz6ksgjsc51.png

Side note I miss the hell out of the blood on the ground.

Round 2:

Thanks Mods.
Fuck that photoshopped picture is godlike.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like a toy. Like much of Infinite.

I swear, the unusual amount of toy lines this franchise has has now inspired the art direction of the games themselves.

that's how they look in HW2. I'm not saying I like it compared to the covenant phantom but it's pretty close to the original design of the one in HW2.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam

I really could not stop looking at those super bright clean teeth when i first saw this. The lighting looks terrible even in this close up shot where i assume they should be able to afford to do all kinds of tricks to make things look better. But really, why are there no shadows around his teeth or dropping from his lips onto his teeth? It's all like super toy like clean, as if they were action figures or something. This would've looked really good last gen but now we've seen so many games do so much more and without the need for ray tracing or anything like that.

I feel bad for being so harsh but it's just the way it is.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well they got no fur in Reach. Actually they are close enough to Halo Reach I will say. Honestly they are pretty ok in Infinite but the true important thing is that the elites in infinite looks gorgeous.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
My wife was in the room glancing occasionally when the stream was on the TV - she laughed and said "so childish" when the brute was giving his speech.

It's likely something they can salvage, but right now I'm in agreement. The model looks unrefined right now, almost like a cheap toy. I'm sure with all this feedback they'll have plenty of folks working on making this stuff look more genuinely fearsome

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Is that phantom supposed to be the same one in my post? Ignoring that its a comparison between a top view and a bottom view they still look completely different to me (different nose design, no turret below nose, different rear, other details, etc).

Almost the same design.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I really could not stop looking at those super bright clean teeth when i first saw this. The lighting looks terrible even in this close up shot where i assume they should be able to afford to do all kinds of tricks to make things look better. But really, why are there no shadows around his teeth or dropping from his lips onto his teeth? It's all like super toy like clean, as if they were action figures or something. This would've looked really good last gen but now we've seen so many games do so much more and without the need for ray tracing or anything like that.

I feel bad for being so harsh but it's just the way it is.

The difference is the way he's rendered there looks very video gamey, something is amiss with his skin shader and the way he's lit I think. His design doesn't really help either. Atriox looks cinematic (I guess it is from a cinematic lol) but there are many instances of in game characters looking better than him.

Even though both are cutscenes, Master Chief and the guy in comparison looks very good.

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Almost the same design.

Tbf, I wasn't a fan of those designs in Halo Wars 2 either -- they seemed to be designed around polygon restrictions, and don't capture the magic of the Covenant designs nor the look I typically associate with Brutes. Too flat and body.

It's clear the design just doesnt look good in from a more detailed, FPS view. Whether or not the texture work is good up close, when it's in the air, it looks decidedly last gen and feels like a more distant LOD model.