• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So, I really wanted a designated thread for the Brutes, which haven't been significantly featured in a new mainline Halo FPS since Halo 3, minus a limited appearance in Halo Reach.

XIWUEFw.jpg

With Halo Infinite 343 has talked about wanting to reinvent the orginal trilogies art style for a new generation, and step away from the more complex, cluttered, and homogeneous & monstrous designs of 4 and 5. With that in mind, I've been eagerly awaiting seeing what they did with Brutes... but the reveal has really left me bummed, as we ultimately ended up getting some weird Klingon Cave Troll amalgamation.

Engine issues aside, which is a whole other worthwhile discussion, they need to redesign the Brutes IMO.

I dislike the design direction on the Brutes, with its monster like face and teeth, but I will say a little additional skin texture (which I did in photoshop) would go a LONG way IMO:

Jb6TgZr.jpg

But honestly, that doesn't address the overall look which I feel isnt hitting the spot with its more anthropomorphic design. I entirely prefer their Halo 2 Anniversary designs, where as the new designs seem like they would exist in Halo 4 and 5.

Take the Halo 2 Anniversary look for their body and face, bring back the fur, and then build new Banished style armor for them.

It's absurd how weird they look in this game, especially since Halo 2A finally NAILED Brutes.

1bgeeIi.png

rLtb4vz.png

NyniIFL.png

w8UC5FF.jpg

Finally, while not the same direction as the Halo 2A Brutes, this Halo 3 ViDoc also really sets the tone for where I expected the Brutes to be redesigned from:

I'm curious what others think, and what they would like to see change (if anything).

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there are various different looking brutes when it comes to the fur. You're primarily thinking of this Hyperious guy and the generic brute from the gameplay demo. There will be other brutes with different hair.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 day): spamming low effort, driveby meme with purpose to derail and interrupt discussion.
boYsIFI.gif

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): spamming low effort, driveby meme with purpose to derail and interrupt discussion.
boYsIFI.gif

The6ixHokage

Oct 27, 2017
boYsIFI.gif

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they were redesign to make them easier to have more facial expressions like the dude at the end.
Hair seems like it got cut with how hairless the normal ones are

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
boYsIFI.gif

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Well Atriox the leader of the Banished is one bad mofo and my fave brute design.

e3b46170105fd2ea25ce11a8dd9c745a41a09422.gifv

I much prefer the hairier brutes to the hairless ones.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
boYsIFI.gif

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The only difference I see is one has facial hair and the other doesn't?

I don't understand. What are you getting so upset about?

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really love the design of the Brutes in H2A, kinda disappointing how they look in Infinite.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Halo Wars 2 got everything right.

Why could Infinite just be Halo Wars 2 in an FPS?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
The OP is a good example of a well thought out critique. The rest of the replies are good examples of why this forum has become so tiring lately. Man-children posting the same memes and tittering to themselves.

The skin texture did seem to be lacking fine detail, not sure if that's just the style they're going for or if it's something that will be improved before launch.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well Atriox the leader of the Banished is one bad mofo and my fave brute design.

Yeah, the baddy in the trailer looks like a clown compared to Atriox. The warpaint on Atriox is also a nice touch that differentiates him from covenant brutes

May 8, 2018

I agree. He's like the perfect Brute design in my opinion. Even Tartarus in Halo 2 was not bad considering the time. Of course not every Brute can look this bad ass. but just give em small bit of hair on their heads and a bit of facial hair and we're good in my opinion. In 3 the default seemed to be a small mohawk on their heads. I'm ok with that.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Was looking at your pics and thought it looked pretty good...then I scrolled down and found the old brute to be jarringly bad, so I guess I disagree. I like the hair.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
boYsIFI.gif

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell...OP made a good thread and put some effort going as far as creating a skin texture and half the people respond with memes...

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

This is so much cooler and frightening, the Brute who made the speech at the end of the trailer is not remarkable as a villain at all, speaking based only on his design and his (bad) speech of course, he could be a good vilain overall.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's gonna be hard having a good Halo discussion thread for now.

Kinda sad people are overusing the same meme when OP made a pretty good thread.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Yeah, the baddy in the trailer looks like a clown compared to Atriox. The warpaint on Atriox is also a nice touch that differentiates him from covenant brutes
God if Atriox shows and looks like hes made of clay I'll be sad.

I really hope if he shows up in Halo Infinite his intro is something special.

I agree. He's like the perfect Brute design in my opinion. Even Tartarus in Halo 2 was not bad considering the time. Of course not every Brute can look this bad ass. but just give em small bit of hair on their heads and a bit of facial hair and we're good in my opinion. In 3 the default seemed to be a small mohawk on their heads. I'm ok with that.
Agreed at the very least give brutes the Halo 3 chin hair. These hairless brutes are akin to a hairless wookie for me.

This is so much cooler and frightening, the Brute who made the speech at the end of the trailer is not remarkable as a villain at all, speaking based only on his design and his (bad) speech of course, he could be a good vilain overall.

God It'd be so awesome if we kill War Chief Escharum a couple hours in and have Cortana and Atriox be the big villains. I do like the idea of an old brute chieftan wanting to be the one to kill Master Chief to cement his legacy, but Atriox is just so much cooler. I'll give Escharum a chance, but his design is not so great.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I am simply not digging the redesign in general. They look like they were derived from the absolute unit, silverback gorilla whereas the previous iterations were a bit more nebulous. Like your example, H2A's Brutes nailed that powerful brutish alien sensation.

I do, however, appreciate the skin texture work you have put into that model.

Status
Not open for further replies.