• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about a potential Switch game is this. I really think this would be announced in a Direct. This game would be pretty much a guaranteed multimillion seller in Japan alone, this is stuff Nintendo wants to have in their main Directs.

If a MH game is annouced at or during TGS in a Capcom-own event, it's likely not a MH game on Switch, but something else.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
MHW is one of my favorite games of this console generation, so I've definitely been very satisifed with the last 2.5 years. I also believe that a Switch MH game is only a matter of time by now, but part of me hopes that due to the success of MHW they will release it on other platforms as well.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
For everyone asking why people think Capcom is making a Switch MH:

1) in an investor's conference, Capcom said they're making a MH game for a middle/high school audience. That's the audience that played MH to death on psp and 3ds (portable systems)

2) MH has two teams. The portable team really hasn't released anything in a while.

3) The game in Japan underperformed compared to the 3ds games, meaning there's an audience that's not being addressed of millions of potential customers in Japan alone

Isn't World their biggest selling game ever, literally? I don't really think they are concerned that much about the third point.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing about a potential Switch game is this. I really think this would be announced in a Direct. This game would be pretty much a guaranteed multimillion seller in Japan alone, this is stuff Nintendo wants to have in their main Directs.

If a MH game is annouced at or during TGS in a Capcom-own event, it's likely not a MH game on Switch, but something else.

Don't think they will announce it until after the last Iceborn DLC is out.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not playing the insider I'm just looking at clues and I think it's coming. Feel free to laugh at me if in a year or so nothing is announced.

Mind you, I think it's happening too, so I don't want to laugh at anybody. I just don't like treating rumors as facts, even if I totally believe them.

Btw, wasn't particulary pointing at you, just in general, because there's more people doing it.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I just want one thing - release the next game on PC day 1.

I've played the base game on PS4 and really enjoyed it, but I'm not a big fan of long gaming session on console. But then I really didn't want to replay the same content so I haven't double dipped... I really wish they would make something like level boost in World of Warcraft so I could just buy PC version and start in Iceborne, heh.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

It would have the same impact regardless of where it's announced. It's obviously something Nintendo would want to have in a direct, but it being announced in a Capcom live stream or at TGS are equally as likely even.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Put 1000 hours into MHW and loved every second of it. Can't wait for MHW2 or whatever on next gen consoles!

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, well. TGS is still weeks away, and there's no general Direct coming up, so that's that. ^^

There's also the business about the supposed new Switch model, if MH is supposed to be a launch window game for that, I don't know how they announce that exactly because obviously you don't want to unveil a new model and screw over the current Switch models' holiday season.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't World their biggest selling game ever, literally? I don't really think they are concerned that much about the third point.
Why wouldn't they care? Particular if they have two teams and are perfectly capable of capturing both the old and the new audience.

Beyond that, you've got one audience who you've locked in for a decade and half and has been consistently loyal despite low budgets, against an audience that has been avoiding the series up until this point and is still fairly new, which could be more fickle.

Last edited:

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
It would have the same impact regardless of where it's announced. It's obviously something Nintendo would want to have in a direct, but it being announced in a Capcom live stream or at TGS are equally as likely even.
With the way things are, I can see MH being announced either at TGS or at a Nintendo Partner Showcase.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Is Nintendo involved in this supposed Switch game? Otherwise why Capcom would make it exclusive?

More likely a Switch game mostly built on older content and a new MHW2 for other systems.

Would people really like that? MH World had so many good changes, it should be a new game

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved MHW but didn't come back for Iceborne, because I wanted to switch to PC but couldn't bother to get and do all what I did on PS4. (like 200h I had on PS4).

A shame, if they added a save transfer or just released the PC version alongside the PS4 I would be still playing

speedwagen

Oct 27, 2017
UK, London
I don't think it will take them 3 years to get out mhw2 they will use mhw as a base and expand on that for quicker turnaround.
very much expect a mh on switch given the timeline of the series.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Monster Hunter World 2 announced by August/September next year.

Release in late Q3 2022.

New Switch game released early 2022, takes full advantage of the beefed up specs of the new, 2021 Switch model.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I loved MHW but didn't come back for Iceborne, because I wanted to switch to PC but couldn't bother to get and do all what I did on PS4. (like 200h I had on PS4).

A shame, if they added a save transfer or just released the PC version alongside the PS4 I would be still playing

Cross-save really should be more common

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Capcom loves money.

I mean, if you can potentially earn even more by releasing a home console series and a portable series, why would you not release a portable version?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Why wouldn't they care? Particular if they have two teams and are perfectly capable of capturing both the old and the new audience.
I'm pretty sure Capcom loves money.

I mean, if you can potentially earn even more by releasing a home console series and a portable series, why would you not release a portable version?

I think you missed the part about it being 'the best selling game' they have ever had lol. I don't see them being all that concerned if sales are slightly down in Japan when you have something now that sold like 5 times (or whatever) the older stuff. And were Japanese sales really that bad? Because I don't know how many of the 'old audience' actually left, but at the very least, they were replaced multiple times over.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think you missed the part about it being 'the best selling game' they have ever had lol. I don't see them being all that concerned if sales are slightly down in Japan when you have something now that sold like 5 times (or whatever) the older stuff. And were Japanese sales really that bad? Because I don't know how many of the 'old audience' actually left, but at the very least, they were replaced multiple times over.
Again, they have two teams. Where did you get the idea that Monster Hunter World disappears when they make a portable game?

The portable games have generally reused tons of assets from the main titles.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people should just answer this question:
should capcom not make any game other than MHW2? nothing is gonna sell that much or as well as the original

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to get into this series. Have bought them multiple times but none of the entries have connected so far. Will give it another chance on the XbX...

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
There's a graph by gaijin hunter in this video showing the series sales in Japan vs the World per entry. It might help for your discussion:

b139fc0b38.jpg

I'd reckon the next entry in the series might be able to hit 10M again if they play their cards right.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Again, they have two teams. Where did you get the idea that Monster Hunter World disappears when they make a portable game?

The portable games have generally reused tons of assets from the main titles.

I never got that idea, that's just something you pulled out of nowhere to try and paint my argument into something it's not. It more just common sense. They now have a strategy for the series that sells magnitudes more than the previous one you're talking about, with the only portable system being one they largely don't support for new games (have Capcom released a new title on Switch outside Mega Man 11?). I guess it's possible there's a multiplat game in the works or maybe a mobile title that will be ported to the Switch later like that one underwater Apple Arcade game, but I don't see the business logic in creating a brand new game for a platform they only support via legacy content. If World had been a total flop in Japan, okay, I guess I could get that, but with how well the game sold in general, I question if that's true.

OP
OP
Zodiark

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
]
World sold 2kk in Japan and 13kk+ overseas which speaks for itself on how much Japanese MH fans are attached to the old and portable formula, most of the old games had most of their sales just in Japan. I would say this is alarming, they are losing their original primary audience.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
You must have missed the part where I said:
...releasing a home console series and a portable series...
Bolded the "and" part. As L Thammy said, no one is saying World would stop if they released a portable version. The portable version is for the unaddressed audience that wanted/is waiting for a portable version.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I never got that idea, that's just something you pulled out of nowhere to try and paint my argument into something it's not. It more just common sense. They now have a strategy for the series that sells magnitudes more than the previous one you're talking about, with the only portable system being one they largely don't support for new games (have Capcom released a new title on Switch outside Mega Man 11?). I guess it's possible there's a multiplat game in the works or maybe a mobile title that will be ported to the Switch later like that one underwater Apple Arcade game, but I don't see the business logic in creating a brand new game for a platform they only support via legacy content. If World had been a total flop in Japan, okay, I guess I could get that, but with how well the game sold in general, I question if that's true.

MHGU sold over 1mil in the west, and that was late, a port, and after MHW. An entirely new game should sell more in both Japan and the west.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people should just answer this question:
should capcom not make any game other than MHW2? nothing is gonna sell that much or as well as the original

That's a weird question, because considering that MH really fits on the GAAS or 'games as service' model, you could argue than Capcom should focus on MHW2 and support it extensively through the duration of the gen, instead of making several games for the next years.

Not saying that's what I want, but considering the potential of the series to easily go that route if they want to, seems that in terms of making money that's the ideal, rather than the same cycle of new game -> expansion -> new portable game cycle they followed until now.

That said I'm sure Switch will see an 'Ultimate' like MH, but you have to wonder if that's the ideal situation for the series.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
There's a graph by gaijin hunter in this video showing the series sales in Japan vs the World per entry. It might help for your discussion:

b139fc0b38.jpg

I'd reckon the next entry in the series might be able to hit 10M again if they play their cards right.

Oh, if this is accurate, it doesn't seem as if World sales dipped nearly as much as people here are implying.

]

World sold 2kk in Japan and 13kk+ overseas which speaks for itself on how much Japanese MH fans are attached to the old and portable formula, most of the old games had most of their sales just in Japan. I would say this is alarming, they are losing their original primary audience.

I mean, it's their best selling game ever. I just don't know what else can be said about it other than that?

You must have missed the part where I said:

Bolded the "and" part. As L Thammy said, no one is saying World would stop if they released a portable version. The portable version is for the unaddressed audience that wanted/is waiting for a portable version.

Yeah, and as I said to him, no one said anything about World 'disappearing.'

MHGU sold over 1mil in the west, and that was late, a port, and after MHW. An entirely new game should sell more in both Japan and the west.

Sure, I imagine it would sell well, but would it even reach the level of World?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Did you ever notice how Monster Hunter games had the same animations over multiple console generations and would just recolour a lot of monsters as new content? You know how they were sell millions anyway?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I wonder if there's a chance a MH game announced at TGS or a Capcom event instead of a Direct could be a multiplat one, including Switch.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it safe to assume that it's multiplatform?

If it was multiplatform there's no reason they would go with Nintendo's co-marketing instead of Sony's.

Also interested how much they would differentiate from World. All of the past Ichinose games have been heavily based on the content of the main team.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't address anything in my post lol
That's because it's highlighting costs, which you aren't accounting for when you repeat "World sold more" over and over again to people who are providing more details about the franchise. The Japanese audience has shown that they consistently pull in millions of sales with far cheaper games with heavy use of reused assets.

They've also previously delivered multiplatform titles which started off as their portable titles for the Japanese audience, so there's really no great reason why they can't handle that audience and also still throw it to other platforms while they're at it.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
The "reason" to release a Switch MH is to fill a gap year while next-gen MH is developed.
Similar to how MHW was in development after the release of MH4, during that time, Capcom released MH4U then Ichinose released MHX. However, they needed more time for MHW and MHXX became a thing.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Making a sequel to World and a Switch MH game are not mutually exclusive.

Like RE, they want a MH game every year. They're not going to get there with just the World series. Just like they alternate mainline RE titles with remakes, they can alternate World titles with a portable series on the Switch. This wouldn't even be anything new for the series.

Also, whatever Ichinose and his team are working on, they started development on it before Capcom had any idea MH World would blow up the way it has.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I loved World but the lack of monster variety compared to previous games made me drop it quickly once I completed the story and did some endgame stuff. Wasn't really a fan of the convoluted, over-the-top level design for some areas though *cough* Ancient Forest *cough* and to many of the armour and weapon designs were just generic palette swaps compared to the fun and colourful stuff they previously did.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
World sold in Japan as much as the second edition of a "celebration" game on a dead system. You should compare World's sales with 4's, not with XX's

If you go back there, sure, it's a big dip, but still not as significant as I feel you and others are implying. And just look at the overall sales vs any of the others.

That's because it's highlighting costs, which you aren't accounting for when you repeat "World sold more" over and over again. The Japanese audience has shown that they consistently pull in millions of sales with far cheaper games with heavy use of reused assets.

No, I am, you just don't want to address anything else I said. I'm not disputing they can make a cheaper game, but the reality is they now have a model that sells a lot more, and they largely do not support the Switch for new titles. I mean, like I said, I guess I can see a multiplat title or a mobile title that also comes to Switch. I just have a hard time seeing them abandoning this new model to support a system they largely have had little interest in. The only logical point is that the Japanese audience dropped with World, and that's fair, but when you consider how the international audience exploded, it's hard for me to believe that they are going to make a Switch-only title just to course correct that. Multiplat, at the very least, but I just have a hard time thinking they'll want to make anything Switch-focused based on all of that.

You just don't get the point, eh, fine.

It's more that it's overall a weak point.