• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Let's call this part 3 of on my "gaming on linux" mini series. To be up front, I did not take these benchmarks. I didn't compile a bunch of windows/linux benchmarks before deleting windows.

These benchmarks are all recorded by Flightless Mango (who made the tools most users use to track performance in linux, known as MangoHUD). I'll be posting the main FPS graphs, but the frametime information can be gotten by clicking the link on each.

First up is Borderlands 3 (youtube link to the benchmark in question)

Aw4G0ru.png

FlightlessMango

DXVK is the linux implementation of DX11
VKD3D is the linux implementation of DX12 (it's still in it's fairly early days)

Obviously VKD3D has a looong way to go still, but like for like on DX11, Linux is 7.5% slower.

Next is Red Dead Redemption 2 (Nvidia and AMD)

5egaU2y.png

Nvidia AMD

For brevity's sake, I'll only post the AMD image because it's the most interesting. With every iteration of the AMD driver on Vulkan in Linux running better than Windows. This probably says more about how crap AMD windows drivers than anything, but it's worth mentioning.

Nvidia runs about 7% slower in Linux versus Windows.

Counter Strike is up next.

gE9mJZt.png

FlightlessMango

Unsurprisingly native CS:GO plays very well in linux, to the tune of 15% over windows. Playing the Windows Binary in linux only loses 6.7% total performance, but the 1% takes a more drastic 15% or so.

Control

9EoXCWP.png

FlightlessMango

Control is a pretty good showing. Obviously VKD3D still has a long way to go, and raytracing support is still in the works. DXVK compared to DX11, is around 5% in windows favor.

Doom Eternal (Nvidia and AMD)
cVVoxEO.png

Nvidia AMD

Another fun (but rare) example of a game working better under WINE than native... at least on Nvidia's front. AMD's drivers seem to be lacking in this game for some reason.

There is still clearly a performance cost to running games on Linux via WINE versus natively on windows, though there are a few clear exceptions to the rule. DX12 support is still likely 6 months to a year out before matching DX11 performance/feature wise in WINE, and with the looming threat of DX12 Ultimate and DirectStorage likely widen the gap again for awhile.

I'm ever hopeful though since Proton and DXVK are only 2 years old as of last month. As a long time observer, the leaps and bounds in that time have been staggering.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Great thread. It's been really interesting playing so much with Proton. Mad Max running better than native was a wild experience.

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
All of the videos are in op (the titles) but I didn't want to clutter the first post with videos and graphs, and I thought the graphs were more to the point. To keep it interesting, I'll post some that I didn't do the graphs for.

Resident Evil 2 Remake (-7%):

World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth (+19%)

Breath of the Wild via Cemu (WINE + Wii U Emulation):

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Very impressive!

...forgive my ignorance but are these benchmarks "cold" runs or games were "warmed up" before measuring? IIRC when DXVK just started to mature, there were issues with stutters etc during gameplay due to runtime shader compilation/translation, is that still the case?

Damn... Detroit: Become Human seems to run faster as well... nice

I hope community and nvidia/amd sort out HDR support on Linux ASAP.

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Very impressive!

...forgive my ignorance but are these benchmarks "cold" runs or games were "warmed up" before measuring? IIRC when DXVK just started to mature, there were issues with stutters etc during gameplay due to runtime shader compilation/translation, is that still the case?

Damn... Detroit: Become Human seems to run faster as well... nice

I hope community and nvidia/amd sort out HDR support on Linux ASAP.

When it comes to steam/proton, part of installing the game is pre-processing the shaders. This makes installation time a bit longer, but essentially removes the stuttering from shader compilation. The latest open source AMD drivers also have a new shader compiler (ACO) which improves on this.

The only games I've had shader related stutter have been games I've installed via Lutris (Blizzard Battle.net games like Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch, etc). I oddly didn't have the issue when I installed FFXIV via Lutris... so I imagine it's more of a toss up there.

Vaporak

Banned
Jan 30, 2018
Hopefully proton keeps improving. It's come a long way in the last 2 years but not nearly far enough to be a real choice.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to be able to game on a computer and not deal with the endless supply of Windows Jank. My decade + of Mac-only computing has spoiled me as to how well a computer can work in terms of basic things like proper DPI scaling and multiple display support.

But this looks like even more jank.