• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Fanfiction, it often goes bad with clunky writing, removing all the tension in an attempt to "fix" something in the original story, or by having the characters act wildly out of character.

But there are some fanfictions that are good. I've read a few recently I want to recommend and I want to see if others have any others they want to recommend.

1. But You Gotta Get Up At Least Once More (My Hero Academia)

https://archiveofourown.org/works/7392847/chapters/16792135

This fanfiction has Deku randomly gaining One Punch Man powers after doing the 100 pushups, 100 situps, etc workout plan. Because of this, he never gets One for All and thus is still technically quirkless. What makes this interesting is that Deku has fairly low self esteem and even more anxiety due to being quirkless in the fanfiction and can't see how powerful he's become. The bullying of Deku by Kacchan is explored very well also and is the key relationship. It doesn't have Deku act much at all like Saitama despite the premise and Deku interacts barely at all with All Might, but I think it's really good.

2. Count Your Blessings, Not Your Flaws (My Hero Academia)

https://archiveofourown.org/works/10998828

Just a super sweet Deku/Shoto shipping fic that manages to have tension despite the sweetness, something pretty rare in fanfiction.

3. I Know Not, and I Cannot Know (Harry Potter)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11923164/1/I-Know-Not-and-I-Cannot-Know-Yet-I-Live-and-I-Love

This is a fanfiction where Snape mentors Luna Lovegood but with pretty realistic development for how it gets to that place. There is NO romance at all so don't worry about that. This Snape and this Luna are slightly different than my interpretation of them in canon (Luna is less Alex Jones and more someone who is actually brilliant and weird in this fanfiction), but they do fit some interpretations of the characters. Overall, it's really interesting and nice.

Let's talk about the fanfictions you like.

Mariage Sorcière

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Deluge

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7785796/1/Deluge

Sequel to Order of Ecclesia centering around Shanoa and Laura.

Its extremely long and unfortunately unfinished, but imo even in spite of being fanfiction it is far and away the greatest storytelling that Castlevania has ever had associated with it (which admittedly isn't saying much but still).

There was another one I read ages ago in High School that was basically a rewrite of FFVIII but based on the Rinoa = Ultimecia fan theory which I also found amazing, but sadly it was deleted.

Last edited:

marches

Dec 18, 2018
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/12904733/1/

Man off the Moon. A Fate/stay nigth x Mass Effect. "Hiding from the force that ravaged it 14,000 years ago, the Moon Cell slides into another world where humanity advanced along a completely different axis. There a man of many regrets is given a second chance to walk among the living, but when granted the ability to walk away... Can he take it?"

It's pretty long. Emiya does cool things. The author tries to balance keeping Emiya from being too broken for the setting, but against the Reapers, he might need all the power. The story so far, is filled with action, con is the author can be long winded, there are plenty of pay off moments tho.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I have a favorite fanfiction that I like to recommend, but the Edge Brigade would come in force to explain to me why it's not good, so...

Mariage Sorcière

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It's pretty long. Emiya does cool things. The author tries to balance keeping Emiya from being too broken for the setting, but against the Reapers, he might need all the power. The story so far, is filled with action, con is the author can be long winded, there are plenty of pay off moments tho.

Well that just adds to the authentic feel, doesn't it? It wouldn't be FSN without the writing style being excruciatingly slow lmao.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I have a favorite fanfiction that I like to recommend, but the Edge Brigade would come in force to explain to me why it's not good, so...

Just do it. *shrug*

my recommendations for now:

Wild Wolf
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10357456/1/Wild-Wolf
Ranma/Game of Thrones crossover with 1.1 million words (so a decent enough size ;) )
Ranma gets reincarnated as the first son of Eddard and Caitlin Stark (replacing Robb). With all his memories and powers intact. (But of course, no knowledge of the GoT Universe)
Of course, history gets changed dramatically.

The Mountain Range
https://archiveofourown.org/works/7999036/chapters/18311452
Game of Thrones Self-Insert as Gregor Clegan, the Mountain. Recently finished with nearly 900k words.
The protagonist gets reincarnated as Gregor Clegane with all his GoT memories, changing the history of Westeros.

Not this time, Fate
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11822902/1/Not-this-time-Fate
RWBY Jaune centric fanfic where he relives his Beacon days in a Groundhog-Day-Style Time-loop, trying to survive and break out of the time loop. Finished story with 650k words.
Never watched RWBY before finishing this story.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
There was an old Smash fanfic called Smash Bros. Odyssey that I read years and years ago. I started it in middle school and read updates for years (the author had a pretty... inconsistent schedule) until eventually it was abandoned.

It's been forever since I've read it. I'm almost afraid to go back and see if it holds up.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
As a kid, Pokemon Master by Acey definitely captured my 11 year old imagination with it's edginess and introduced me to fanfiction, as well as my first online community.

Later I loved and consumed a shit ton of Harry Potter fanfiction. I can't really remember any of it besides the Veritas trilogy by Cassandra Clare which... I doubt that would hold up today? Lol.

Most recently though of course is Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, which is probably the closest I've come to listing one that isn't terrible beyond nostalgia...

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
https://m.fanfiction.net/community/Misfit-verse/10268/

Misfits. An X-Men Evolution /GI Joe crossfit, but with Toad from the Brotherhood as the protagonist. What started as some short stories about the Brotherhood being recruited by the Joe's evolved to an overarching story involving the mythos of both series that was completed 5 years ago. Also has some slice of life short stories involving the X-Men and Cobra.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/6357752/1/

The Shattering of Oz. A Wicked musical sequel under the guise of Return onto Oz with the Nome King as the main villain (no singing this time though).It's completed with 229k words.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heir to the Empire is a relative oldie, as far as Ranma fics go, but a goodie. It is a fukufic, but it has the novelty of going down an entirely different road than usual.

(If you want other Ranma fics, hit up Shareon and ClassicalGal, I guess. The Genma's Daughter series is not going to be to everyone's taste, though.)

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
There is also a great F/F X-Men fanfic where a Self-insert from a post-apocalyptic World dimension hops into the x-Men world with x-men knowledge. There is also a sequel where she hops to other universes.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A lot of my favorites are pairing stories and those aren't up to everyone's tastes so I'll just link a few that aren't too deep into that :

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8614734/1/In-Good-Company

A Song Of Ice and Fire AU story on what would have happened had Stannis stayed in King's Landing instead of leaving for Dragonstone before the events of the books. Stannis centric, the author writes his POV almost as good as I would imagine GRRM himself would. Stannis is my favorite character in all of fiction, so such praise doesn't come lightly.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12141717/1/Three-Months-A-Fox

Zootopia story following Nick directly after the press conference and what he deals with in the time between then and Judy's return.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/956125/1/Reaching-Up

I never thought I'd really love any kind of Ico fanfic, it's a beautiful standalone story where what happens after is best left to the imagination of the player. This is such a sublime one-shot of what could happen between the two leads though, that fit's perfectly with the tone of the game.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3297194/1/Salix-Narcissa

The fact that this Whomping Willow x Giant Squid story works at all is baffling and really drives home the power of writing.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Things by Peter Watts

A retelling of John Carpenter's The Thing from the aliens POV. I consider one of the finest pieces of fan fiction that is finely written and is an incredible companion piece to the film that adds a whole new disturbing layer to the story.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

"Petunia married a biochemist, and Harry grew up reading science and science fiction. Then came the Hogwarts letter, and a world of intriguing new possibilities to exploit."

It's absolutely insane and a heck of a lot of fun. Ron is just a small side-character while Draco becomes the third part of the trio.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Methods-of-Rationality

Purple Days (Game of Thrones Alternate Universe)

"Joffrey time loops again and again... what could possibly go wrong?! A lot, it turns out, but past the first few hilarious deaths, how will one of GoT's most hated characters deal with this curse? Will the madness claim him absolutely? Or will the purple spit out something... changed?

Only time will tell..."

Joffrey slowly becomes a redeemable character and one who you are wanting to root for. It's absoultely superb, but not complete yet.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/purple-days-asoiaf-joffrey-timeloop-au.450894/

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
There was a really fun Halo ff I read in around 2010 or 2011 about some ODSTs being on Planet being consumed by the Flood. The writing was good, story was good, and it just flowed well.

Beyond that, I cant really recall anything else though I read dozens of them through high school.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a bunch of My Little Pony stories.

Longer stories:

The Enchanted Library by Monochromatic
An alternate universe where the princesses are considered nothing more than fairy tales, until one day, Rarity stumbles upon a library deep in the forest, where she finds the spirit of Princess Twilight Sparkle, trapped there for a thousand years. She embarks on an epic quest to free her. This story develops a romance between the two, though it's a slow burn and it balances that and the adventure aspects very well. Besides, the romance is good. It starts lightly enough, but it doesn't hold back on subjects like what a thousand years of solitude did to Twilight's mind. The linked story is complete, but the sequel is ongoing.

I have to drive to work now, but I'll edit in descriptions for the below later. EDIT: Done.

The Mare Who Once Lived on the Moon by MrNumbers
In a steampunk setting, the scientifically minded and reclusive Twilight Sparkle constructs a telescope and examines the moon, only to find something she never expected: a mare living on it. More than a little inspired by her beauty, she uses science to devise a way to communicate with her and ultimately rescue her. But the real focus of the story is Twilight reaching across social boundaries to help make her devices but finding friendship in the process, and avoiding the watchful eye of their mad empress, Celestia.

Nine Days Down by JoeShogun
During a routine adventure, both Celestia and Twilight find themselves trapped in Tartarus. By this point in the show, we only had vague ideas of what it was like. Here, it's expanded into a humungous realm of imaginative horrors that the two must traverse. Despite the darkness, Twilight's light still manages to shine through. Celestia and Twilight do fall in love, but it's a minor part of the story.

Hard Reset by Eakin
A fandom classic. Twilight finds herself experiencing the day of a changeling invasion over and over again. She must find a way to break the loop while not only not dying, but saving everyone she loves. What makes this story work is the fast pacing, not dwelling on any one loop too long. This is a quality lost by the sequels and spinoffs, unfortunately, but this is fantastic as a one-off.

80 Days 'Til the World's Farthest Shore by Cynewulf
Told from her perspective, a woman at a magic school comes across a strange woman named Twilight Sparkle with magic far beyond anything she's seen. She needs to reach a portal on the far reaches of the world within 80 days, and the woman chooses to accompany her. This is told in the form of a travelogue. No romance.

Shorter stories

The Choices We Make by Monochromatic
In the Equestria Girls universe, Pinkie helps out the people working at a suicide hotline. This sounds like a story that's bound to go wrong, but it works perfectly. We never see any of the calls, for instance, the focus remains on the people who have to listen to the calls, and while Pinkie is Pinkie, she never gets super wacky.

The Stolen Book by Monochromatic
In contrast, a cute and fluffy story about Twilight and Rarity meeting as fillies. They bond over a book and Twilight does something unforgivable.

The Destiny Trap by AndrewRogue
A Starlight and Trixie story that seriously seems like it came straight from the show (for better or worse). Trixie gives Starlight a present she got from a strange mare, and it steals her magic, so they go after the stranger to find out what's the deal.

The Dark Art of the Dress by MagnetBolt
Rarity makes the perfect dress. Then she becomes an alicorn. A wacky comedy that manages to be a surprisingly good look at Rarity's character, particularly in what the perfect dress means to her.

A Thousand Words of Noise by Monochromatic
A short story where Twilight wakes up and just has a hard time getting through the day. The author suffers from depression, and she portrays it fantastically here.

Last edited:

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas, if it counts.
Authored by a fan of the original series and "supervised" by its original creator, it lies in a grey area between fan-fiction and official, canonized spin-off.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Started a new one this week after completing Life is Strange (which I loved!)
This is basically a "what if" after Life is Strange is over, with a small tweak.

Ouroboros

"When Chloe convinces Max to make things right, something strange happens, resulting in a new beginning and a chance at a life together. With everything seemingly "fixed," the two are ready to live normal lives. Lots of fluffy "Adventures of Max and Chloe with friends" with a bit of "dealing with things" thrown in."

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/11675308/1/Ouroboros

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adore crossover fanfic... the good ones... of which there aren't many.

Hellblazer: Hogwarts
John Constantine ends up as Hogwart's newest Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Sadly unfinished, and basically stopped as soon as John and Harry meet for the first time.

Psi Effect
What if the humanity that meets the council races in Mass Effect was instead a humanity that came out of the Ethereal wars scarred and psychic under the guidance of an all-powerful XCOM? A sprawling, fascinatingly detailed saga still ongoing that follows the Shepherds, the mercenary organisation (and secret human infiltration division) Eclipse, and a fun-loving Asari mercenary way in over her head.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I would never list what I read (and definitely not what I occasionally write).

But I'll be looking out for Game of Throne recommendations.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Evangelion:
Fear: Eva/Cthulhu crossover. What if the Angels were Eldritch abominations.

Borderlands:
Just Like Now: Post-Borderlands 2. Lilith is dealing with an Eridium addiction and Maya helps her recover. LilithxMaya pairing.

Tenchi Muyo:
Survival: Tenchi and Ryoko are stranded on an uninhibited planet in another dimension. Forced to rely on one another for survival, they become close. TenchixRyoko pairing.

There were a bunch of Resident Evil fics that I enjoyed, but I can't seem to find them anymore. :/

Oct 27, 2017
I went through a bit of a Scorbus phase a while ago. Fanfiction is pretty much the only reason why I'll entertain Harry Potter and the Cursed Child actually being canon.

Bee More Kind is one of my favourites; it's set a few years after CC when Albus Potter and Severus Malfoy are adults.

A non-romantic fic I quite like is Arthur Weasley's 75th Birthday: A Retrospective. It's short snippets from Arthur Weasley's POV about his family, from his time at Hogwarts, through both wars with Voldemort and ending a few years post-CC.

3. I Know Not, and I Cannot Know (Harry Potter)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11923164/1/I-Know-Not-and-I-Cannot-Know-Yet-I-Live-and-I-Love

This is a fanfiction where Snape mentors Luna Lovegood but with pretty realistic development for how it gets to that place. There is NO romance at all so don't worry about that. This Snape and this Luna are slightly different than my interpretation of them in canon (Luna is less Alex Jones and more someone who is actually brilliant and weird in this fanfiction), but they do fit some interpretations of the characters. Overall, it's really interesting and nice.
This made me cry, thanks. >_>

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I haven't read very many My Hero Academia fanfics, OP, but my favorite so far is The Long Way Around.

Basically, Deku never meets All Might, never obtains One For All, but is determined to become the world's first Quirkless Pro Hero regardless. I thought it was great.

Oct 25, 2017
Well shit, guess it's my time to shine.

The Shortest Distance from A to B got me into fanfic as a whole, for better and for worse. All of the authors fics were amazing tbh. It's a long-form retelling of Persona 4 with a focus on Kanji and Naoto, with all of the other characters getting a fair showing, and honestly an improvement in characterisation in most places. Fair warning, the fic died literally just as it was about to end, but a talented member of the community is currently writing a retelling with a flipped perspective, The Distance Formula, which is pretty good.

Those Lacking Spines is a Kingdom Hearts fanfiction where Xaldin, Vexen and Lexaeus, who are three of the Organisation XIII members most often left forgotten by the community, go on their own adventure through horrific fanfiction tropes. It meanders away towards the end as I recall, but it was damn entertaining, even though I never really was into KH fan-community.

Warmth is an Azumanga Daioh story that is far too long, has glacial pacing, and far too much commitment to inner dialogue. But I'm pretty hooked.

I should have more but I'm only now learning that there doesn't seem to be a list of all your kudos-ed stories on AO3, which is a real bummer. That and my fanfiction.net favourites list is way less populated than I thought it'd be. There are some excellent Little Witch Academia fics I've read around though, feels like I should mention that.

I still live in the vain hope one of my old fics will end up on a list like this somewhere!

Oct 26, 2017
Hennepin Falls

It's alternate take on the Peanuts set in 1978. It imagines the characters in the strip in a more grounded universe where the town is fairly conservative and religious. From what I've read it basically revolves around Lucy and Charlie Brown, now a teenaged couple, along with their friends, trying to circumnavigate the close minded community they've grown up in and express themselves freely in their own manner.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Connie Swap (Steven Universe AU)
I don't normally read a lot of fan fiction, but the "Connie Swap" fanfiction series is a really astounding effort with a ton of work and thought put into it. It's a Steven Universe AU fanfic where Steven's human friend Connie is the gem hybrid, with her mom having been a yellow gem called Citrine and Jasper, Peridot, and Lapis being the initial Crystal Gems. The writers do a great job of understanding and establishing how Connie's personality and the universe's new status quo would change the story. Connie is quiet, shy, intelligent, and bookish, which makes her a different protagonist to Steven and leads the story in different directions.

The altered status quo feels believable and well thought out, with the series sorta mimicking the first season's structure at first. The team has also added art and audio to the earlier chapters, even creating promo art for upcoming chapters, similar to those used for the show itself.

Last edited:

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Someone post some good Vision of Escaflowne fanfic that takes place after the last episode.