• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe there should be a minimum post length feature added. I think very little, that's also helpful, can be said in only a few words.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but then b dubs couldn't lock threads anymore

In all seriousness I would like a feature to hover over a part of the post that redirects me to all of the responses to that post to avoid needless dogpiling.

Dec 23, 2017
I took a look into that locked thread and to be honest, I was actually planning on making something similar myself.

I'm part of the ''I just want to talk about games'' side I guess; To share knowledge of forgotten games, or to make tributes of favorites.

Such as these:
www.resetera.com

The beautiful world of Mirror's Edge. (Warning: Image Heavy)

UPDATE: More screenshots from the first game added! I was a big fan of the original Mirror's Edge. I would play it every now and then throughout the years and the beauty of the game never ceased to amaze me. The sense of exploration, wonder and parkour elements is what made Mirror's Edge an...
www.resetera.com

The beautiful world of Mirror's Edge #2 (Image Heavy)

For those that missed my first thread, you can find it here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-beautiful-world-of-mirrors-edge-warning-image-heavy.70660/ With the year 2020 fast approaching, I've decided to start yet another playthrough of one of my favorite games, Mirror's Edge. This is...
www.resetera.com

Been playing a game called Kenshi, wanted to share my adventures.

So I took a chance on a game that I knew nothing about, and it's a genre I don't necessarily play very much but I do love games like Mount & Blade, Shadow Tactics, and Total War: Shogun 2. Apparently this game was in development for 12 long years, and came out of Early Access this month. Of...
www.resetera.com

Dragon's Dogma - Love & Appreciation

The original Dragon's Dogma released back in 2012, on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Directed by the man himself Hideaki Itsuno, gracing us with his take on the Action Adventure Hack & Slash RPG genre. Featuring a quest system where some quests could be completed in different ways, allowing the...

I try my best to make meaningful threads on this site, I really do. Unfortunately, in some cases, it gets lost under the aforementioned problems of this site.

It gets tiring and makes me mentally fatigued.

Like, I get that ResetERA wants to be a platform for gaming, but they also want to be a platform for calling out shady things in the industry. That's ok!

The thing is, it's mixed in together with the gaming threads people make on this website. I like seeing threads like this one, connecting Dark Souls and Depression:

www.resetera.com

Dark Souls is a Powerful Metaphor for Depression

With the game's impending re-release on modern systems, I wanted to draw attention to the ways Dark Souls reflects and represents elements of depression. Please consider this a Content Warning for depression. If you are suffering from depression yourself, I beg of you: Seek professional help. If...

Eh, I don't know, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I've mostly given up on attempting real discourse on Era, especially when it comes to the business end of things, as most folks here aren't interested in the nitty gritty of the industry and seem to care more about what random Youtubers have to say (or making up their own theories).

But what irks me the most is when people throw out a shitty one-liner as the first reply and it gets quoted for pages and drowns out anyone trying to participate in a meaningful manner. We really need a "like" button for posts, because replying to something with "^ this" is effortless.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't subscribe to the notion that this forum needs even more bans. Like, chill out.

Do i like it if people don't read the OP? Or if they write a meaningless 3 letter post? - Of course not.
But "not putting in the effort" becoming a bannable offense. No, thank you.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
also
-Quoting someone and just adding "this" to agree with them.
-"X thing is shit" without explaining why that is your opinion.

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
There's also people who empty quote others, or quote another user and just post a "." which adds nothing to the discussion either. Just a waste of space.

To be honest, it's gotten to the point where I no longer read anything other than OPs nowadays due to the lack of effort put into a large number of posts. There's something people enjoy about being the first one to respond, and therefor the first one that gets read by hundreds of other people.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Long and relentless history of modwhining and hostility towards staff

For real, especially this one for me

On the flipside, have you ever assumed that someone's different opinion than yours was trolling and immediately accused the other member of doing so?

I was upset about a video game in a thread that got locked. People in another thread started talking about the locked thread, so I responded with how I felt.
Got banned 2 weeks for "Trolling in multiple threads, a long history of trolling".

And its like

fucking HUH?

When the post I got banned over was literally me complaining about how "People keep calling me a concern troll because I have criticisms, which is bullshit."
I'm also not sure what a "Long history" is when I've never received a warning once before? And what counts as "trolling", is posting a tongue in cheek funny hee hee haw haw even in the same spirit as purposefully being mean and disingenuous?

Good moderation absolutely goes beyond policing obviously shitty posts - If they want good discourse it starts with them and how they guide and inform discussion before it gets to a point of what is perceived as ban-worthy.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I feel dog piling is an issue as well. I have been banned for it before. I post something, people keep quoting me so I reply to them only for others to reply to my other post and say the same thing to the first person and then I get banned for derailing or trolling the thread when I wasn't intending to do so. Some times my hot takes are a bit too radical but I usually mean well and understand why people reacted negatively so I respond in agreement but as always, the original post gets read and it continues.

I feel a way to see what replies the post got and a like system would solve a lot of these issues. It sucks to say this but sometimes using thia forum is a bit too tiring. I gyess I will need to post less.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This post still applies today.

Be the change you want to be. All of you, not just "the others".

Very good post, which pretty much sums one part of the story up. A healthy dose of introspection could reduce a fair amount of the charged interactions that go on here - and often outside the internet. Most disagreements rest on misunderstanding in the first place, mischaracterisation of each other's positions, etc. Taking time to read what others say and respond would probably go along way. I will admit, I often skim read on here as well, and am fairly guilty of knee jerk posting.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
OP, I'm with you in that I believe we all should take more effort to read and respond to OPs. It's frustrating that in response to a reasonable suggestion, some posters have missed your core argument:
The only solution I see is a change of culture and that has to come from the members and moderation together. I think we need to be more strict with low-effort posts in serious threads. We have a whole hangout section for chatting and multiple community threads like the Playstation or Xbox where people can be more "lose".
Instead of reacting to this and explaining your agreement/disagreement, there are multiple posters who are responding as if OP's 3-word post ban idea is the entirety of the thread. We can all do better.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I think minimum character limits and brief waiting periods before a thread can be replied to are both neat ideas.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
If there is any place on the internet where discussion is actively discouraged, it is Reddit. The upvote system forces people to post quickly to be heard. The forum is also designed in a way that discussions get progressively harder to follow by making the text field smaller and smaller for each reply. Also, basically zero moderation.

Yet, despite all this, it is easier to have a long, good discussion on Reddit, than it is on Era (at least on some of the subreddits I visit). I have lost count on how many thoughtful, well-written threads on Era that either are ignored, or just gets a few one-liners as replies. It is infuriating to see. Basically, it is only worth putting effort into OT threads for specific games.

I have my suspicions about why this is the case, but I think I might get banned or warned if I express them, so I rather not. Either way, I don't think this is something that can solved by changing the rules and having the mods ban people (I base this on the fact that people regularly do drive-by posts in sensitive topics and take a ban for it).

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of reacting to this and explaining your agreement/disagreement, there are multiple posters who are responding as if OP's 3-word post ban idea is the entirety of the thread. We can all do better.
Because that's one of OP's concrete suggestions. They even made it part of the thread title. So don't blame people for commenting on what is certainly one of the OP's main takeaways / main suggestions.
Much of the other stuff is just "We should have better threads / better discourse" - absolutely!

a916

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just the gaming side... like the Justice League Snyder thing... there's just pages and pages of "who fucking cares" or "f Snyder"... shit that Anne Hathaway thread has that as well.

I think the best talks or discussions happens in an OT thread of a game or property because on the main boards, it's just a rush to get in some hot takes.

How do you address that? I'm not sure to be honest... I think that'll always exist without some crazy level of moderation.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the problem is three word posts, the root problem is significantly deeper than that. I believe the other thread that was locked more eloquently and clearly outlined the ongoing problems of the forum.

I recommend people reading the opening post to that thread.
You do have to name the thread.

A decent number get locked.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I don't believe every single thread should have a required minimum character limit, but I do believe when it comes to more serious topics drive by posts should be warned at least.
It's really annoying trying to read those threads when all we see is. "yikes" "oof" and similiar to that.

When is a hpe thread I doubt anyone has a problem with the "hype" "yes" "let's go".

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
"Lmao"

"Yikes"

"That's a yikes from me dawg"

"Looks like trash/garbage"

"Looks like an "insert a 2/3 generation old console/handheld" game.

The best kind of posts.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Since there is no feedback topic at all on this forum I assumed it would be okay to make one here.

In line with a topic that was just locked here I think we need to have a conversation about the level of discourse on Gaming Side.

Although Resetera is a place where we post news it is primarily a place where we can have discussions about our favorite hobby, videogames. Unfortunately it seems the level of discussion has slowly started to become something more akin to Twitter or Reddit. Lot's of negativity, quick reactions and little thought.

I don't fully know all the reasons this is happening, the world itself is becoming a little more "violent" and "chaotic" and online discourse has taken a nosedive for the last few years.

BUT.
I believe the biggest reason we are having this problem has more to do with the crazy amount of drive-ins or low quality posts that influence the "feel" of the threads.
I understand the need to want to be part of the discussion (I'm not perfect in anyway) but... if you have nothing to say, why say it?

Let me give you an example. I just opened a random "Controversial" thread and took a random screenshot (I believe it's where I last stopped reading).

[Mod Edit: Image removed.] I removed it first you sneaky mods haha

Out of 4 posts, 3 are... nothing? (nothing against the users, it was a totally random screenshot).

Again, I'm not perfect by any means but I do feel I strive to either add something to the conversation, share my opinion in a semi-detailed way, or ask a question.
It's so easy to be incredibly negative if all you do is tell people off or write one-liners. It's so easy to DOGPILE on users that it makes those that are trying to share opinions scared to do so.

And crazier than all to me is how somehow we have started to normalize the fact that people can comment without even reading what the OP has written.

The only solution I see is a change of culture and that has to come from the members and moderation together. I think we need to be more strict with low-effort posts in serious threads. We have a whole hangout section for chatting and multiple community threads like the Playstation or Xbox where people can be more "lose".
I think we should give warnings and bans to people that clearly have not read OPs.
- There's a difference between drive-bys and "drive-bys." Yes, I know that doesn't make sense, but hear me out. If the post derails the thread, if it's overly offensive, or if is clearly a post that is not a joke (e.g., not a tongue-in-cheek jab), then it's fair game for a ban/warning. That's not to say we see everything. We do rely heavily on reports for moderation due to the amount of posts that are made each day on the site.
- I do agree that the negativity is something that has to come from the bottom-up. While there are things that I think staff can do to foster that sort of thing (and we are actively discussing), the majority of the effort is going to take place at the individual user level. To quote a post I made in Etc:

I feel this isn't necessarily an "Era" problem so much as society as a whole. While my wish is that people here can conduct themselves accordingly (trolls that show up, aside), there is a general feeling of us vs. them across the entire country at the moment. A lot of people on Twitter complain about the people here and my first thought is *gestures wildly at Twitter.*

There are various areas where I feel like we are generally on the same page - sexual assault/abuse is bad, believe women, black lives matter, etc., but Era is not a monolith. Some people are just shitty. An email address is not enough for us to determine whether or not someone is going to come in and cry about "mah politics in mah games!!!!11!! (alts notwithstanding...but that said, if you're an alt, we will find you)."

I do wish people would come together. I get the reasons for some of the polarization (for instance, those who want Trump out of office vs. those who are not comfortable voting for Biden)...I honestly do, and so does the rest of staff.

If you're a console warrior, though, there's no hope for you. If you are, please just PM me so I can get that ban out of the way.

But we largely agree with each other. Our differences should be stupidly small, like preferring a game over the other, but realizing that others may like/dislike different things.

I do encourage users to make more threads about games that they enjoy rather than those that they hate. Or hell, every day occurrences that they enjoyed rather than your look-at-this-shit-that-happened-today thread. I think it's important to be abreast of these terrible things, but there are 49 other spots on the front page of each forum that could be filled with good things.

We all need good things.

I saw two black bears and a brown bear today. My wife decided that we should head back on the trail when we noticed that two of the bears were like 20 ft. away though.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Current Era has much deeper problems than just people posting one-liners or reaction posts. Some of the problems have already been mentioned in this thread

• inconsistent moderation with a tendency to turn controversial threads into one-sided echo chambers
  • the push towards twitter-like sensationalism in topic creation to provoke or form narratives
  • overall more toxic and aggressive tone in "reaction posts" - with this style of posting becoming more prevalent

All of the above are SYMPTOMS in a closed system and NOT SINGLE PROBLEMS. Changing one of the parts will result in a change in the whole system. This is obviously nothing that can be done easily and no single person is able to formulate the "correct" change to reach the desired outcome - civilized but interesting discourse on this forum.

Personally, I think some of the pressure comes from the technical limitations on this platform. People are used to their likes and their retweets and their raction emotes to posts on discord. Maybe it is time to let this charming old 2000's style of online conversations die and revamp the technical side to be more modern?

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
For the folks who have mentioned a "like" or "uupvote style system, it's definitely something that has crossed my mind as well. While ripe for abuse, I do like how it works on the battle.net forums, where the folks engaged in the convo are able to weed out the low quality content.

Would be neat if there was a way that rating responses adjusted the text size or color differently between a well thought-out reply and a low-quality/troll post. All still visible, but I know I'd be more apt to read 4-5 pages of replies if I could focus in on the good parts and not the hot-takes.

Oct 27, 2017
I've mostly given up on attempting real discourse on Era, especially when it comes to the business end of things, as most folks here aren't interested in the nitty gritty of the industry and seem to care more about what random Youtubers have to say (or making up their own theories).

But what irks me the most is when people throw out a shitty one-liner as the first reply and it gets quoted for pages and drowns out anyone trying to participate in a meaningful manner. We really need a "like" button for posts, because replying to something with "^ this" is effortless.

I've felt this way for a while. Digital Foundry threads and general technical discussions as well as business theory threads become very difficult to participate in. Usually any interesting posts are ignored in favour of shallow quick responses and hot takes.

It's tiring trying to sift through the crap to find the good posts. They are still there but it feels like it takes more effort to find them. Maybe it is the same as it always was and I'm just getting older and can't be bothered.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Because that's one of OP's concrete suggestions. They even made it part of the thread title. So don't blame people for commenting on what is certainly one of the OP's main takeaways / main suggestions.
Much of the other stuff is just "We should have better threads / better discourse" - absolutely!
While that's all true, responding with a 3-word post when OP is clearly asking for better discourse strikes me as needlessly petulant.

Your post above disagreeing with OP is brief, but it's perfect bc it explains clearly why you disagree. There's no way to determine why other posters disagree with OP and so it's a conversational dead end.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I would prefer less gate keeping, not more

( I wish I could have said that in 3 words or less)

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
There really should be a minimum character limit. Usually the first few pages of threads amounts to reactions and one-liners. It isn't until much later in the thread where more discussion is taking place but by then the thread has already been derailed so I just leave the thread.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
yeah. i understand and agree with raising the level of discourse on this side but more words doesn't mean more thoughtful content

sometimes you see someone write a multi paragraph screed of pure nonsense and there is nothing more to do than hit them with a lmao
While we generally discourage things like thread-shitting (for lack of a better term), tbh there are times where it just happens and makes sense. If weekend-era makes a thread about their specific shitting style, I don't think I could bring myself to ban someone who simply responds with "lmao."

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
As Ancient Greeks said "τὸ λακωνίζειν ἐστιν φιλοσοφεῖν". Say no to ban 3 word posts.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Isn't this already happening? I'm only here from time to time but in the past I've seen warnings and even bans for drive by postings, has this changed?
As I stated above, it's not really a black-and-white situation. Sometimes, those drive-bys are funny. Sue me, I like to laugh :P. The majority of posts are fine, and an innocuous joke here and there is fine. If it's a horrible post, or offensive, or leads a page-long derail, then I'm happy to bin 'em.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I understand you, OP

"Sometimes some few words is all that need to be said" is just something that I cant agree with

If you arent adding to the discussion, then you shouldnt post

I'm not saying that all my posts so far were "quality posts", but I tend to express my opinions in a way to add to the conversation

I'm glad that we dont have reactions to posts, because that would lead to even worse drive-by

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not that old, but I think nowadays people just mix up their social media. Back then we use discussion boards to... discuss things and use other means like IRC to socialize or casual chats. Now we have Discord and all, but nevertheless people are also start treating forums like Youtube comments section (reaction threads) or Facebook (community threads).

Jan 10, 2018
I feel like most of this can be related to the platform that is used to access Era? When you are on your phone on a bus or at your work you're probably not gonna write something lengthy and thoughtful. Yet you still wanna be part of the discussion somehow by at least posting a short reaction.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I understand what you're getting at (I think), but I somewhat disagree. It's about content rather than volume, imo. A stupid or hostile post is just as stupid when expressed with 500 words as it is expressed with 3 words. On the other hand, a clever and funny short post would perhaps lose it's point, if turned into a wall of text.

Edit: I am absolutely guilty of these crimes myself. I try not to be rude to anyone, but sometimes I do get frustrated. I rarely make long posts, because it feels pointless. They vanish in the noise. A vote system would be interesting to try and it seems to work for Reddit. My latest pet peeve is pointless repetition. Someone asks a question, which is then followed by page after page of people giving the exact same answer. Why? The question was answered on page 1.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Current Era has much deeper problems than just people posting one-liners or reaction posts. Some of the problems have already been mentioned in this thread

• inconsistent moderation with a tendency to turn controversial threads into one-sided echo chambers
How would you propose a two-sided discussion in a thread about racism/bigotry/corruption/etc?

The rules are pretty clear that if you side with bigotry, you'll be banned.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm not a technical person by any stretch of the imagination, but isn't it possible to make it a requirement to have at least 10 words in your reply? In other words: 10 words or you reply doesn't get posted? Maybe have a message pop up if you try to reply with only "yikes" or "awesome"?
I'm sure I have seen something like that on another forum back in the day.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not a technical person by any stretch of the imagination, but isn't it possible to make it a requirement to have at least 10 words in your reply? In other words: 10 words or you reply doesn't get posted? Maybe have a message pop up if you try to reply with only "yikes" or "awesome"?
I'm sure I have seen something like that on another forum back in the day.
It is, yes (at least technically, but we do not specifically have that functionality atm), but it's really one of those things where this is on the users - there are definitely threads where one-word answers are....fine. Like if I said I hadn't showered in 3 months I think it's ok if someone responds with "yikes."

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
This place does feel like a chat room sometimes. It also favors gaming news rather than game discussion. I kind of miss reading the more original content by posters talking about various games/genres, but that kind of stuff gets buried immediately by news.

Oct 29, 2017
I took a look into that locked thread and to be honest, I was actually planning on making something similar myself.

I'm part of the ''I just want to talk about games'' side I guess; To share knowledge of forgotten games, or to make tributes of favorites.

Such as these:
www.resetera.com

The beautiful world of Mirror's Edge. (Warning: Image Heavy)

UPDATE: More screenshots from the first game added! I was a big fan of the original Mirror's Edge. I would play it every now and then throughout the years and the beauty of the game never ceased to amaze me. The sense of exploration, wonder and parkour elements is what made Mirror's Edge an...
www.resetera.com

The beautiful world of Mirror's Edge #2 (Image Heavy)

For those that missed my first thread, you can find it here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-beautiful-world-of-mirrors-edge-warning-image-heavy.70660/ With the year 2020 fast approaching, I've decided to start yet another playthrough of one of my favorite games, Mirror's Edge. This is...
www.resetera.com

Been playing a game called Kenshi, wanted to share my adventures.

So I took a chance on a game that I knew nothing about, and it's a genre I don't necessarily play very much but I do love games like Mount & Blade, Shadow Tactics, and Total War: Shogun 2. Apparently this game was in development for 12 long years, and came out of Early Access this month. Of...
www.resetera.com

Dragon's Dogma - Love & Appreciation

The original Dragon's Dogma released back in 2012, on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Directed by the man himself Hideaki Itsuno, gracing us with his take on the Action Adventure Hack & Slash RPG genre. Featuring a quest system where some quests could be completed in different ways, allowing the...

I try my best to make meaningful threads on this site, I really do. Unfortunately, in some cases, it gets lost under the aforementioned problems of this site.

It gets tiring and makes me mentally fatigued.

Like, I get that ResetERA wants to be a platform for gaming, but they also want to be a platform for calling out shady things in the industry. That's ok!

The thing is, it's mixed in together with the gaming threads people make on this website. I like seeing threads like this one, connecting Dark Souls and Depression:

www.resetera.com

Dark Souls is a Powerful Metaphor for Depression

With the game's impending re-release on modern systems, I wanted to draw attention to the ways Dark Souls reflects and represents elements of depression. Please consider this a Content Warning for depression. If you are suffering from depression yourself, I beg of you: Seek professional help. If...

Eh, I don't know, just my 2 cents.
I feel exactly the same. It would be really nice if there was a "This person has done so and so" specific section, that's not part of "Gaming". I use resetera mainly for news on games, and it has gotten more and more difficult to shift through the threads for the stuff I actually want read and be part of. To be honest, recently it's gotten so bad, that I've started to avoid visiting - I can feel it affecting my mood, though it really shouldn't.

In terms of low effort posts by users, I use the "Ignore" featured extremely heavy handedly, which solves some of the problem - not that I think it's a good solution.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I think that if we can effectively deal with trolling, platform wars, racism, discrimination, general hostility, etc, then this particular issue will improve. Improve in the sense that a lot of unwanted noise is removed and that Era becomes the place we want it to be, because I don't think we have arrived there just yet.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I think some of the pressure comes from the technical limitations on this platform. People are used to their likes and their retweets and their raction emotes to posts on discord. Maybe it is time to let this charming old 2000's style of online conversations die and revamp the technical side to be more modern?

Having discord style reactions would be a lot better.

It would stop someones post being downvoted but someone could still get feedback on the post

It would also stop 'lol' posts to good posts being repeated ad nauseum

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's nice to agree with someone wholeheartedly, but when your contribution to a thread is nothing more than "/thread" that adds or expand on nothing and only seeks to shut down anyone who disagrees, surely you have to question why you're doing this and what you're hoping to achieve. It's like a more offensive like button.

I saw one poster make their own comment then actually had the stones to post "/thread" underneath it themselves a few days ago. I mean... that was extra special in this regard... "here's my opinion, now everyone accept it's the only one worth having, stfu and go elsewhere. Priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.