• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you miss the conferences that aren't happening this year?

• Yes, loved that time of the year

Votes: 701 56.4%
  • No, they're not worth the time

Votes: 80 6.4%
  • I don't care about them

Votes: 122 9.8%
  • Mixed feelings about it

Votes: 217 17.5%
  • Games to play is all I want

Votes: 122 9.8%

• Total voters

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
tbh I am surprised E3 has survived as long as it has. Its a retail show in a market where retail is meaning less and less.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Sony will be back, so I'm not worried about them. I think EA finally realized their presentations are horrible so didn't bother.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
E3 has been one of the biggest times of the year for gamers. To see it get slowly diminished to just another gaming conference is severely disappointing.

EA has typically had a weaker showing. But Sony will be a notable absence. Hoping to see Sony back next year. Directs are cool and all, but they don't match up with the best live conferences.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EA's conferences are always boring and Sony's conference last year sucked. This is hardly negative news.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
I still enjoy EA's conference for the train-wreck that it usually becomes, so I'd still miss it.

Sony not having one is understandable but still sucks that they won't show up. Hope it's only for this year.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Sony's going all in on ensuring that the PS5 has the best reveal event possible.

EA's going all in on ensuring that they aren't humiliated at E3 for the sixth time in a row.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sad there is no Sony E3 Presser: Prime Time on Monday Night. :(

I never watch a single EA press conference.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I've been saying for awhile now with social media and being able to deliver news on games whenever that E3 is slowly going away.

Really should just morph into a celebration of gaming and not something that developers feel like they have to have something to show every June.

Now adays most of the big stuff gets leaked before E3 anyways so its had a lesser impact for some time now.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really interested in Nintendo, and never really that excited for Sony but I can't lie, not having Sony is dissapointing, but at least MS will there in full force along with 34d parties.

Deleted member 6233

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind if E3 completely disappears and publishers start doing their own events through out the year.

As has been warned on here and otter forums these last few years, E3 isn't what it used to be. The reality is CES/E3 are a product of their time and they were a perfect way to show your products/software back then. Now, thanks to the internet and technology, you can announce your stuff and reach millions instantly where as before the press would cover it all at the shows and then you'd get those monster 400 plus page issues of EGM covering all of it. You had to wait until a month or so after to get all the news…make no mistake I loved getting those issues every year and I do miss that. But again times have changed.

It's crystal clear at this point both shows are going to have to adapt to the times and tech or disappear. In the case of E3, I think it needs to become a week long digital event where each company is still given a day to show their stuff but it should be in a Direct style video format along with any trailers or any other promotional stuff they want to do. It's so much cheaper this way. Also you can do as much as needed to get gameplay demos, etc exactly how you want it without having to worry about technical difficulties on a stage, Look, I hate to say it but these expos are for the industry, press and retailers. Not the fans. We're really damn lucky these companies have allowed the press to take pics and videos over the years. They could easily have all said hell no absoluteoy not.

Nintendo's got the right idea with the Direct format. Both Sony and Microsoft need to do the same. It's just time. Hopefully Sony's gotten that memo and are done with these press conferences for good.

libregkd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about E3's direction in general. It's highly likely that this year's will be the last at the LA convention center and I wonder if they'd use the opportunity of a new venue to sort of completely reinvent what E3 is.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I won't miss these specific conferences (EA conferences almost always suck, and Sony clearly have nothing worth showing this year) but I love the conferences in general.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unsurprising. With how easy companies can set up venues and livestreams, I expect E3 to become less of a big deal over the years.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I've often wondered why EA had a conference in the first place. They were always my least favourite conference. Very few games, and always had a ton of interviews with footballers, etc.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I'm curious about E3's direction in general. It's highly likely that this year's will be the last at the LA convention center and I wonder if they'd use the opportunity of a new venue to sort of completely reinvent what E3 is.

From a cost point of view, the venue currently is just stupidly expensive. It makes more sense to have your own event that you can tailor however you want. :)

I personally wouldn't be surprised if more decide to not attend E3. In this digital age, exposure especially for the big companies is not a problem.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Less conferences the better - just release a press release announcement and release a trailer and I'll be fine with it - or do what Nintendo does with Directs.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If another year goes by in which EA dropped the very heavy very big very bright looming ball called "Star Wars" and present FUCK ALL I think they would be in for an absolute shit storm.

Sony missing E3 isn't to bad they will end up revealing the PS5 when they are good and ready and they dropped the big titles I was interested in (God of War). MS look to have a HOT E3 planned.

E3 will be fine, but 2 more conferences wouldn't be so bad

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
From a cost point of view, the venue currently is just stupidly expensive. It makes more sense to have your own event that you can tailor however you want. :)

I personally wouldn't be surprised if more decide to not attend E3. In this digital age, exposure especially for the big companies is not a problem.

Correct. Industry leaders have told me for almost a decade everyone has been considering dropping it.

So if they knew back then I can't imagine how ridiculous it must look now to keep doing it given the changes in the marketplace.

People don't realize it's not just venue costs but key members of leadership and development teams who's time is taken away from product focus to rehearsals, setup, prepping special builds, travel,etc.

I would hate to be the person in charge of showing any meaningful return on the budget sheet that's for sure lol.

Varixio

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly off topic but what's with a lot the threads starting with "Let's talk about....."? Is this a meme that I don't know about?

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like EA would be the last to let go of their E3 presence. No matter how cringe the conferences were, they were supposed to show gamers and shareholders what the next big thing is supposed to be, and they wouldn't miss out on a marketing opportunity.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Man seeing e3 die like this is depressing.

I love the pomp and production of one huge event celebrating games.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sony will be missed, but EA's conference efforts have never been good. Sony should've pulled a Nintendo e3 2016 and have just made a smaller event focused on 2 or 3 highlight games.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Could care less about EA not announcing their next Battlefield game at e3. Sony's conference was pretty bad last year, but their games are always worth seeing, so I'll miss them at least.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
It's crystal clear at this point both shows are going to have to adapt to the times and tech or disappear. In the case of E3, I think it needs to become a week long digital event where each company is still given a day to show their stuff but it should be in a Direct style video format along with any trailers or any other promotional stuff they want to do.

I'd be happy with this in lieu of conferences. There still needs to be an event built around the announcements for people to get together for and share their excitement.

But you just can't replicate the magic of having a live event. The FF7R reveal, Kojima walking on stage, live orchestras, PS4 used games announcement, Konami's 2010 cringefest... this stuff is gaming legend and it'd be a shame to see it end.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Crazy to me that anyone would be happy with this. I love E3 and that time of year. Its like fucking christmas with all the announcements. I'l' miss Sony for sure this year. They usually good or bad, always have at least one amazing thing to show off.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
All I care about is game announcements, don't care when they happen. Never cared much for E3 as a whole. Never watched it.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Just off of what was shown last year: EA and Sony dropped the ball with both of their conferences. I'm not too torn up about it all, but I always felt E3 was a great place to showcase third party AAA and indies especially with all those eyes on the platform holder shows.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
We still have Microsoft and Ubisoft

Plus maybe Bethesda? They're still up in the air at this point though?

I'm more than content

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
The less I see of EA the better so them not turning up can only be a good thing. Hopefully next year Ubisoft and Activision will decide to stay away too. Sony obviously haven't got much to show so there's no point in them turning up. It'll be interesting to see what MS are going to show

Sharpeye

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
At first, I was disappointed that E3 was beginning to lose some of its conferences, but from what I read from devs and insiders about the stress and crunch involved in getting game presentations ready for e3, I rather them reveal things at their own pace and avoid getting overshadowed by other participants.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Is Bethesda showing up? I don't know if I can watch Todd or Pete try to backpedal on 76 without grinding my teeth to sawdust.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember last year's Sony E3 show... what an embarrassment and well EA has always been crap so I won't miss them.
Pretty sure Sony will have an excellent show next year though.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
I'm pretty sure Sony doesn't have much to show this year, but they will return in 2020 at full force. I'm not so sure about EA returning, I'll miss the EA cringe fest.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day they're just flashy commercials. Are they fun for reactions? Sure. But I think there was always something fairly odd around them.

With that said, I will miss Sony's