• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Yep. I say supposedly because it may very well be just paper launch for marketing. But Ripley, Paris, Microplay, WePlay etc all sold out
The only hope we have is the grey market. All the small stores (persa, paseo las palmas) have yet to receive the final price since they don't use the same official importer as the big retailers.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Supossedly here in Chile the PS5 pre order is already sold out, despite being over 800 USD (while the Xbox is 150 USD less). Some people don't understaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

yeah, I heard about this the other day. Can't say I'm surprised if some people with lots of disposable income already preordered it or maybe some of them wanted to use the AFP's 10% precisely for this and just waited untl preorders went up.

Which is, i dunno, fucking crazy to me, but... it's their money. I just think the vast majority won't be able to afford it (unless it's with credit)

Titanish

Apr 2, 2019
The PS5 will be a luxury item and will not have a reasonable price for a few years in 3rd world countries. It is just like that.

If you are eager to have a new generation console at launch, Series S is a decent decision, being a Game Pass machine and all.
If you are like me and don't mind waiting, wait.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
I'm from Uruguay, I preordered the PS5 Digital Edition from Amazon Germany for USD 990. Ouch!

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it was a small allocation of consoles per retailer, it still boogles the mind. The PS5 is not cheap at all here - but Altazor is probably right. Either 10% or many, many cuotas with a credit card, because otherwise I don't see how many people could pay it upfront.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
yeah, I heard about this the other day. Can't say I'm surprised if some people with lots of disposable income already preordered it or maybe some of them wanted to use the AFP's 10% precisely for this and just waited untl preorders went up.

Which is, i dunno, fucking crazy to me, but... it's their money. I just think the vast majority won't be able to afford it (unless it's with credit)

Even if it was a small allocation of consoles per retailer, it still boogles the mind. The PS5 is not cheap at all here - but Altazor is probably right. Either 10% or many, many cuotas with a credit card, because otherwise I don't see how many people could pay it upfront.

10%, credit card, hype train and brand loyalty. The fever of having the latest for the social media picture too.

PS5 price will be crazy high for a couple of years until both air and sea transports have normalized. That huge package must be the main factor in the over price now that I think about it with CielYoshi comment.

I dont't know how Microsoft is pricing the Series X so low. It should be that different in package. Microsoft is really out for the win this time around.

OP
OP
cursed knowledge
Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
imagine being american and getting to complain about 70$ games while the same games are costing 1/3 of the minimum wage in almost every LATAM country

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
imagine being american and getting to complain about 70$ games while the same games are costing 1/3 of the minimum wage in almost every LATAM country

or going on with shit like "I'm gonna buy a RTX 3080 and the PS5 for the exclusives, I already preordered them, gonna wait for some games before I get the Series X but it's only a matter of time"

it's not even first world problems, it's 1% problems.

And yeah, games have been $70 here for years. That's why I buy used (when physical) hahaha

Oct 27, 2017
How common is it for other Latam countries to have installment payments? Here in Mexico almost everything is bought that way, with 'meses sin intereses'.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
How common is it for other Latam countries to have installment payments? Here in Mexico almost everything is bought that way, with 'meses sin intereses'.

it's basically how shit's bought here in Chile. Most people can't pay upfront, simply do not have the money, so they use they favorite (hah) retailer's credit card and whooosh! You're paying almost double of what the item actually costs but as long as you're paying monthly installments it's slightly more bearable.

Sadly, it leads to a vicious cycle of being constantly in overwhelming debt, as you're essentially using consant loans (with different entities/cards) to pay off previous debts.

Oct 27, 2017
it's basically how shit's bought here in Chile. Most people can't pay upfront, simply do not have the money, so they use they favorite (hah) retailer's credit card and whooosh! You're paying almost double of what the item actually costs but as long as you're paying monthly installments it's slightly more bearable.

Sadly, it leads to a vicious cycle of being constantly in overwhelming debt, as you're essentially using consant loans (with different entities/cards) to pay off previous debts.
Oh so you're charged interest for paying that way? There are some stores that do it that way. Amazon, for example, charges you the regular amount divided up to 12 months. Some others, as you say, charge you double for everything but they have very small weekly payments.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Oh so you're charged interest for paying that way? There are some stores that do it that way. Amazon, for example, charges you the regular amount divided up to 12 months. Some others, as you say, charge you double for everything but they have very small weekly payments.

yeah. Take, for example (something I'm currently looking at, just to make a point), a Samsung Galaxy S10+ at a certain retailer.

It costs, upfront, almost 900k CLP (1160 USD). If you buy it with that retailer's card, it goes down to 580k (747 USD).

Then, the monthly installments. If you choose to pay it in 3, each installment is 214k CLP (276 USD) and you end up paying a total of 641k CLP (825 USD). But if you choose to pay it in 36, because you can't afford to pay more than 200k a month for something that isn't essential (like your rent, or groceries), each of the monthly installments is 27k (35 USD)...

but you end up paying 972k CLP (1252 USD).

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Every console I have ever bought was bought that way (not that I bought many tho D:), and I don't know anyone here in Brazil that has bought theirs any other way as well. Video-Game consoles are just a thing you spend an year+ paying for lol.
or going on with shit like "I'm gonna buy a RTX 3080 and the PS5 for the exclusives, I already preordered them, gonna wait for some games before I get the Series X but it's only a matter of time"

And yeah, games have been $70 here for years. That's why I buy used (when physical) hahaha
Yup, plenty of this forum will tell you literally everyone is playing on 4K, and when they're shown information contrary to that they just go in denial lol.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I apologize for my french in advance.

I'm in Costa Rica, where the console and gaming market has always been fucked (which is the reason we all import via Amazon or just buy digital).

BUT, with the new tax to every digital transaction we are going to be even more fucked so...while none of the console and game pricing make sense for the regular folks, at least Xbox with Gamepass sounds like a more sustainable option.

This area has always been Sony first and I think Latin American markets are very slow in changing their trends (grandpa had a Toyota, dad had a Toyota, son will have a Toyota even if its more expensive and has less benefits compared to other brands) but I suspect that Xbox + Gamepass will simply just explode here. As soon as the value is more clear to everybody, there is no way people will choose the more expensive option, while still receiving less.

Oct 27, 2017
I apologize for my french in advance.

I'm in Costa Rica, where the console and gaming market has always been fucked (which is the reason we all import via Amazon or just buy digital).

BUT, with the new tax to every digital transaction we are going to be even more fucked so...while none of the console and game pricing make sense for the regular folks, at least Xbox with Gamepass sounds like a more sustainable option.

This area has always been Sony first and I think Latin American markets are very slow in changing their trends (grandpa had a Toyota, dad had a Toyota, son will have a Toyota even if its more expensive and has less benefits compared to other brands) but I suspect that Xbox + Gamepass will simply just explode here. As soon as the value is more clear to everybody, there is no way people will choose the more expensive option, while still receiving less.
Yeah, we just got hit a 16% tax on PSN. Fuck that noise.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The PS5 will be a luxury item and will not have a reasonable price for a few years in 3rd world countries. It is just like that.

If you are eager to have a new generation console at launch, Series S is a decent decision, being a Game Pass machine and all.
If you are like me and don't mind waiting, wait.

In Brazil it sells out in minutes every time a store adds more stock.

I'll wait though, building a new PC. No way I'm paying R$350 for multiplats lol.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
An Xbox Series S + Gamepass just seems like too good to pass up for plenty of Latin America, particularly for the FIFA crowd now that Gamepass includes EA Play.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017

This thread is so important, as are the many voices on ERA who aren't from North America/Europe. It's so easy for us to complain about our prices and inconveniences (God knows as a Canadian I've bitched about 90 dollar games forever), but the perspective brought by so many of you is incredibly helpful at bursting our privileged little bubble.

To any of you reading, thank you for the many times you've been gracious in threads that must be exhausting to read.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Or complaining that people with a PS4 with no way of buying a PS5 will be able to play the sequel to their favorite game because a giant corporation wasn't totally honest about making your purchase a bigger exclusive item.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This thread is so important, as are the many voices on ERA who aren't from North America/Europe. It's so easy for us to complain about our prices and inconveniences (God knows as a Canadian I've bitched about 90 dollar games forever), but the perspective brought by so many of you is incredibly helpful at bursting our privileged little bubble.

To any of you reading, thank you for the many times you've been gracious in threads that must be exhausting to read.

Threads about how Nintendo should never discount their products are the worst to me.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile

don't get me wrong, mate - if you have the money then by all means, spend it however you like. It's just that it gets -as you said- exhausting when people assume everyone has the means or that everyone lives in a first world country, so that getting a gaming PC and a console is just a matter of saving up a little.

Especially when shit like a PS5 is gonna be sold pretty much at twice the minimum wage (320k CLP // 412 USD) here in Chile. And that essentially half of the Chilean workforce earns that minimum wage each month, or a just a tiny bit more. It's not enough to spend on a gaming console, or a gaming PC, isn't it? And that situation is pretty much replicated in every LatAm country (with major or minor differences, of course)
Obviously it's a problem that goes far, far beyond the confines of a gaming forum. We're just venting and, more or less, supporting each other knowing that this beloved hobby of ours is becoming a luxury that most can't afford.

Sorry if it comes out a bit harsh. It's not against you (or any other particular member of ERA), it's more of a rant.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yes, but it's still a huge deal to me. Probably Jedi Fallen Order will be added soon, still haven't played it.
Oh yeah, for me too, definitively gonna be playing a lot of EA titles thanks to that.
You get the latest FIFA/sport game like 5 months after release, it's not that bad but remember that EA play also gives you the trial and 10% discount. So it's still worthy to the day one FIFA crowd
Yeah, the cheaper console, the discount and the trial would still make it a better deal for the FIFA crowd, just not quite as good as I originally thought.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
don't get me wrong, mate - if you have the money then by all means, spend it however you like. It's just that it gets -as you said- exhausting when people assume everyone has the means or that everyone lives in a first world country, so that getting a gaming PC and a console is just a matter of saving up a little.

Especially when shit like a PS5 is gonna be sold pretty much at twice the minimum wage (320k CLP // 412 USD) here in Chile. And that essentially half of the Chilean workforce earns that minimum wage each month, or a just a tiny bit more. It's not enough to spend on a gaming console, or a gaming PC, isn't it? And that situation is pretty much replicated in every LatAm country (with major or minor differences, of course)
Obviously it's a problem that goes far, far beyond the confines of a gaming forum. We're just venting and, more or less, supporting each other knowing that this beloved hobby of ours is becoming a luxury that most can't afford.

Sorry if it comes out a bit harsh. It's not against you (or any other particular member of ERA), it's more of a rant.
Not harsh at all. I think it also flies in the face of ERA's assumption that we are "progressive" people. Which we are, in our own setting, but at a global level most of us forum users are the height of privilege, spending the annual income of many people on earth on our hobbies and second consoles. I don't say it to make us feel guilty, but to humble and contextualize most of our lives. We are incredibly privileged people engaging in an incredibly privileged hobby, which we can enjoy, but should always do so remembering the reality of it.

Covtops

Jan 6, 2019
Growing up in Canada and being half Chilean, I saw first hand the disparity when it came to access to gaming whenever i visited while I was a kid.
I'll always remember my first encounter with a polystation lol!

One time i went with my psx and It absoloutely blew everyones minds that i actually had ORIGINAL games instead of pirated.
After that, I'd send my old consoles and games to my relatives. I kinda regret now parting with some snes rpgs, but oh well, they were really grateful.

On the price front it's always been bad but now I'm sure it has gotten worse.. I live in Chile now and was sooooo hyped to see the US $399 reveal for the PS5 digital. But when i found out the prices here I could not believe it. Thankfully I have a great job, but for me it's a no brainer, I'm getting one abroad.

I really feel for those getting royally scammed at the price point SONY Chile is going with. Unfortunately for most it's their only option...

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is hilarious to read next to those "Switch as a secondary console" threads people post often. Oh well...

Anyway, PS5 price in Chile is indeed ridiculous. I can't believe I was able to buy a Switch with an included game for not much more than US price back when it launched, especially seeing the current price of the Switch.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Not harsh at all. I think it also flies in the face of ERA's assumption that we are "progressive" people. Which we are, in our own setting, but at a global level most of us forum users are the height of privilege, spending the annual income of many people on earth on our hobbies and second consoles. I don't say it to make us feel guilty, but to humble and contextualize most of our lives. We are incredibly privileged people engaging in an incredibly privileged hobby, which we can enjoy, but should always do so remembering the reality of it.

I appreciate that you took the time to abstract your overall message.

Humans tend to normalize everything from their point of view, that's why I truly believe that representation and CONTEXT is vital in a lot of the things we do.

I have a good job and I'm able to bypass a lot of the local restrictions, but these restrictions do exist, and yes, the overall ERA message is extremely disconnected to the average human being realities in other locations.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.

It's the rule for almost everyone in all Latin America... XD... In Colombia is way more shitty since using credit card implies 12/24/36/48 payments with an interest rate (2.5% MV)... And since many of them pays the minimum payment required every month, it results in paying almost 3 times the cost of the products...

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
What can we US gamers and Western European gamers do to help? If anything? This is such bullshit. Im sorry y'all are stuck in these situations
I think one thing is to not take advantage of regional pricing. Its the reason why you see so many non US or non european users get pissed off whenever threads about "hey take advantage of this regional pricing to get this game cheaper", because if regional pricing is removed we're even more screwed than we already are.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

Its very common here in Costa Rica. You would get something like the first 3 months "taza cero, no tax" and then the tax for 9 or 21 months for example.

In the end people end up paying like 3x the actual price.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Yes, It's literally the only way for some people to bought something here. We have "Ahora 12" program, which is 12 cuotas sin interes for some products

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
What can we US gamers and Western European gamers do to help? If anything? This is such bullshit. Im sorry y'all are stuck in these situations
I feel like the only real thing you can do is not abusing regional pricing.

Just so you can have an idea: Horizon: Zero Dawn's Steam price was actually very competitive and fair when pre-orders started (94 reais, ~ 17 dollars) but literally doubled when word of it got out and Americans/Europeans started taking advantage of it. Now it's 200 reais (~36 dollars) and, frankly, too expensive for a port of an old game. Cyberpunk 2077 costs 200 reais on Steam.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I feel like the only real thing you can do is not abusing regional pricing.

Just so you can have an idea: Horizon: Zero Dawn's Steam price was actually very competitive and fair when pre-orders started (94 reais, ~ 17 dollars) but literally doubled when word of it got out and Americans/Europeans started taking advantage of it. Now it's 200 reais (~36 dollars) and, frankly, too expensive for a port of an old game. Cyberpunk 2077 costs 200 reais on Steam.

I've never done it, but I'll make sure I call out anyone I see doing this bullshit.

X05

Oct 25, 2017
Console prices for Uruguay seem to be (all in US Dollars):

PS5 Disc - 1199
PS5 Digital - 1099
Xbox Series X - 999
Xbox Series S - 649

At the current dollar exchange, these consoles are x2+ as expensive as PS4 / Xbox One were on launch :(
So about twice the US price, as expected and as always is :(

I'm from Uruguay, I preordered the PS5 Digital Edition from Amazon Germany for USD 990. Ouch!
Was that including shipping and Amazon-estimated taxes? Asking because in general the total tends to end up at about ~175% of the item's original price

(also, amazing username btw xD)

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the reasons I went with PC gaming + Nintendo Console

Yeah, the inital cost of building a high end PC in latin america is ridiculous but the advantages are too good to ignore. Regional pricing, sales, a much bigger software library, options, customization, not paying to play multiplayer games, etc.

If the PS5 costs $600, it's going to end up around $900 - $1100 where I live. Fuck that.

Nintendo are fucking awful with this too. Every company has been fucking us up with the prices here since forever.

This damn hobby, really. There's a huge audience in latam and our reward is "here, have this official overpriced shit that costs 40% less everywhere"

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
Was that including shipping and Amazon-estimated taxes? Asking because in general the total tends to end up at about ~175% of the item's original price

Yeah, including taxes, here is the order:

srM87wO.png

(also, amazing username btw xD)

Thanks lol

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo are fucking awful with this too. Every company has been fucking us up with the prices here since forever.

This damn hobby, really. There's a huge audience in latam and our reward is "here, have this official overpriced shit that costs 40% less everywhere"
Worst thing is you can't really vote with your wallet because these markets are irrelevant to them. If people stop buying stuff all they'll do is remove offical support and close operations. Then people will be left with even more overpriced shit.