• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
¿Esas importaciones son siempre legales, cómo funciona eso exactamente?

Depende...

Si uno hace la importación (por ejemplo via 4-72 o algun courier reconocido)... es completamente legal ya que se paga 10% de Arancel y 19% de IVA al entrar al pais.
Los que son grandes importadores a veces compran directamente de uno de los proveedores grandes (en este caso Juegos de Video de Colombia SAS), con eso a veces les sale mas barato...
Y pues estan los que entran el producto por contrabando, aunque aqui si es dificil dictaminar quien va legal y quien no, ya que la mayoria de importadores pequeños se hacen en los San Andresitos de las grandes ciudades...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, I have done a little bit of calculations about importing one PS5 to Bogotá (not that I wanna buy it... too expensive for me)...

ps5-importacion-472k5j9j.png

500 + 209 = 709 USD ~ 2'659.000 COP (with exchange rates from today)... So the last image is not too far off, considering the person selling the service has to gain some bucks...

Well see in a few days when Exito (a large store retailer) opens the preorders for the PS5 here, if the prices are similar or different... xD...

Last edited:

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
GeekSpot hizo ese comentario en su IG. Ellos son vendedores que trabajan directamente con PlayStation, como Play For Fun. A estos últimos les compre varias cosas y todo bien, tienen 12 cuotias s/ interes.
MIA Games también, incluso ya tienen publicadas las consolas y accesorios, obviamente todavía no se puede comprar. Son de Salta, por si te interesa. Les compré la edición especial del TLOUPII bastante barata en abril ($9000). Llegó bien, pero sin la cantimplora y cuando les reclame me dijeron que había llegado todo mezclado y no puedieron hacer nada. Así que más o menos mi experiencia con ellos.

Ah, buen dato, yo vi un local, Froggy Market que lo público, y CD Market también, pero ni idea, tengo terror que abran la preventa un día random sin aviso y perdermela

Falcato

Nov 2, 2017
I remember when the PS3 launched a store had it over a thousand bucks here in Chile, it wasn't for long but it was one of the biggest ones (Iirc it was Almacenes Paris and it was a million chilean pesos lmao). And the chilean peso wasn't as weak as it is right now! I'm sure the PS5 and XSX are going to be over 1000 usd.

I'll just continue playing on PC, it's also expensive, but can buy stuff in parts. My computer right now it's kinda outdated so I won't be able to play next-gen games for awhile.

It was Falabella and according to this forum post it was $900.000 clp although i remember and ad from back in the day saying it was $1.000.000 clp. From Nov 2006 to Sept 2020 we have had ~62% inflation so that price is $1.626.206 clp now (around 2130$ usd at today's rate)

I totally expect the new consoles to arrive at $900 here in Chile

You were mostly right. Please tell me the numbers for the loto xD
Also, nice avatar!

Let's discuss when the prices are announced officially. Y'all are too reactionary sometimes.

This post aged like milk…

So the question now is, did Microsoft eat the cost to make the console $100.000 cheaper, or Sony is charging $100.000 out of greed?

I read on facebook that a problem with the PS5 is that the console and the box are really big so the shipping is really expensive. Also the only importer in chile is selling it exclusively to major retailers

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 in Argentina is expensive but I think it's somewhat possible to buy...

But with the new tax, buying games for the consoles it's going to be expensive as hell.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
Depende...

Si uno hace la importación (por ejemplo via 4-72 o algun courier reconocido)... es completamente legal ya que se paga 10% de Arancel y 19% de IVA al entrar al pais.
Los que son grandes importadores a veces compran directamente de uno de los proveedores grandes (en este caso Juegos de Video de Colombia SAS), con eso a veces les sale mas barato...
Y pues estan los que entran el producto por contrabando, aunque aqui si es dificil dictaminar quien va legal y quien no, ya que la mayoria de importadores pequeños se hacen en los San Andresitos de las grandes ciudades...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, I have done a little bit of calculations about importing one PS5 to Bogotá (not that I wanna buy it... too expensive for me)...

ps5-importacion-472k5j9j.png

500 + 209 = 709 USD ~ 2'659.000 COP (with exchange rates from today)... So the last image is not too far off, considering the person selling the service has to gain some bucks...

Well see in a few days when Exito (a large store retailer) opens the preorders for the PS5 here, if the prices are similar or different... xD...

As a fellow Colombian (paisa here!), 2'600 doesn't sound as bad as I expected, still too damn much to me. I'm absolutely sure that local retailers will put it up for 3 million COP and just blame the dollar.

I don't even want to imagine the games.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This post aged like milk…
This thread was created when people were panicking about the possibility of these consoles costing $600+, because Digital Foundry said they'd heard that was the cost. So that was the context.

Also, I never suggested the idea that gaming in Latin America was going to be cheap, so I don't know how saying people should wait for official prices is a wrong statement?

Y'all are too desperate for gotchas sometimes.

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom
It's quite heartbreaking reading about the disparity from other parts of the world. I know how tough it is out there, hell it's no picnic where I am atm, U.K but I could never imagine having to think owning a new console and games would never be a reality.

Yeah, most people from western countries can't exactly drop several hundred pounds/dollars as if it ain't no thing but those people will almost always likely be able to game next gen with a little bit of saving or cost cutting. Not all but most.

Seeing as the forum has a bit of a disparity of wealth divide couldn't we do something nice in these shitty times. Like maybe set up a raffle for a PS5 or Series X or something, maybe with a couple of games and import costs and send it to someone in Latin America.

I know it's a futile thing and it won't solve real problems but at least it would be something cool for someone, hey who knows, maybe if it happened it could get a couple of people gaming next gen.

I dunno, don't have the answer but reading the thread makes me wanna be a billionaire and sort out peoples problems. I'll probably have said something wrong here so apologies in advance, certainly don't want to insult or upset anybody but if someone trusted could set something like that up I'd happily throw in £20-30.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The PS5 in Argentina is expensive but I think it's somewhat possible to buy...

But with the new tax, buying games for the consoles it's going to be expensive as hell.

$9000 a AAA. :)

Seeing how pre orders for Xbox won't start in Brasil and Mexico this week, I guess I can forget about PS5 until October at the very least here in Argentina.

I'm so anxious...

OP
OP
cursed knowledge
Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
If they manage to make a 2500 reais for a series s even i will pre-order one. I am guessing +3.000 for a series s and 5.000 for the x.

i consider myself to be a Sony fan, and i'll still get a PS5 before anything, but i'm the first to admit that MS cares about our market more than Sony, and i think they'll be very agressive about Series S here, tbh after today's news i'll consider getting one in a few years if it's feasible

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
i consider myself to be a Sony fan, and i'll still get a PS5 before anything, but i'm the first to admit that MS cares about our market more than Sony, and i think they'll be very agressive about Series S here, tbh after today's news i'll consider getting one in a few years if it's feasible

I have very few sympathy for Microsoft but for 2500 (split in 12x) i will surely buy a series s insted of a 5.000 ps5.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
So... PS Latam on FB published the official prices for Colombia...

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

So its 150k COP more expensive (personal importing) but no so much comparing with the early guys who import to make $$$...

Wow, 300k more expensive than series X, I had a feeling about that 3m mark but I was off by 200k, now that we have the official prices I wonder what will be those on San Andresito because who really buys from official retailers, Series S is so affordable, that one got me a bit exited.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Meanwhile in Colombia...

Series X gets the spotlight for tomorrow... Series S in a later day...

Wow, 300k more expensive than series X, I had a feeling about that 3m mark but I was off by 200k, now that we have the official prices I wonder what will be those on San Andresito because who really buys from official retailers, Series S is so affordable, that one got me a bit exited.

A lot of uninformed people for their kids... xD...

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
All I want to know now is the cost of the expandable XSX/S memory. The Series S is really tempting but that 512gb for an all digital console...

dapalon

Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
I can only talk about Colombia, but the comment I've read in this thread regarding current gen console prices going up as time passed by is because the Colombian peso got devalued so bad in 2013 - 2014 that it was logical for console prices (and all imports) to go up. In 2012 one dollar cost less than $2,000 pesos when the PS4 launched. One year later the currency got devalued more than 30%, and now it's more than double the price 8 years ago ($1 USD = Around $3,750 COP). Same thing with taxes, that went from 16% (already a high number) when consoles launched, to 19% some years later. And there's also local retail's markup, which is also very high

Gaming is, and have always been, an expensive luxury in Latin America.

In my case, I'll import a PS5 from the US early next year from Amazon. It's cheaper than buying local, and If the console is defective, Amazon reimburses all the shipping costs from Colombia to the US. Or so they did with my launch PS4, almost two months after purchase.

Last edited:

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
In my case, I'll import a PS5 from the US early next year from Amazon. It's cheaper than buying local, and If the console is defective, Amazon reimburses all the shipping costs from Colombia to the US. Or so they did with my launch PS4, almost two months after purchase.

I had no idea about that, I always avoided buying expensive stuff, specially tech related afraid it would be defective.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Sheesh 3k for Series S here in Brazil...i guess i'll keep my PS5 order and beef up my PC then.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
I think Playstation controls the mindshare here on Brazil, but the difference in cost with the Series S + GamePass is big enough that I wouldn't be surprised seeing Xbox turning things around.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Unless there's some drastic price cut, brand loyalty can only get you so far. If you only use the console to play Fortnite + FIFA + CoD and maaaaybe one occasional game, there's basically no reason no to pick the cheapest one that can do all that.

On the other hand, 512GB internal storage is, indeed, a concern. Even for that crowd.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Considering the already expensive pricing for these consoles plus the bad economy and instability caused by awful pandemic management in Latin Americ, I really don't see sales being very strong until maybe Holiday 2021 when the worst is hopefully behind us. I just don't think that many people are realistically in a position right now to spend this much on gaming, certainly not me, but then I always wait to buy Sony consoles anyway.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Unless there's some drastic price cut, brand loyalty can only get you so far. If you only use the console to play Fortnite + FIFA + CoD and maaaaybe one occasional game, there's basically no reason no to pick the cheapest one that can do all that.

On the other hand, 512GB internal storage is, indeed, a concern. Even for that crowd.

Supossedly here in Chile the PS5 pre order is already sold out, despite being over 800 USD (while the Xbox is 150 USD less). Some people don't understaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That price for the series S im Brazil is a pretty bad deal. This was supposed to be the budget machine after all.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope I'm not misunderstood with this comment, because I'm not *encouraging* it:

Unless there's some drastic price cut next year (or even after such price cut), I'm thinking the "winning" console over here will be the first one to be modchip'd or "unlocked" so they'd play pirated games. The same way PS1 and PS2 became absolutely monstrous with how easy it was to allow piracy (and game prices back then were still high as fuck), you could walk around downtown and there'd be dozens of small tech stores offering said chips or "unlocking".

I think Gamepass could play a key role on prevent this or at least get a lot of people expecting to mod their consoles. The value is SO MUCH that sometimes feels like stealing lol.

I'm a current OG PS4 owner and I'm gonna make the jump back to Xbox Series X + Gamepass, that it seems like a killer options here in Chile at least, starting next gen. Sony will support PS4 for a few years more so I'm not in a hurry to buy that giant and expensive PS5 console rn