• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I absolutely love this game. Played it to death. And I replayed it last year, and I'm pleased to say it holds up!

Both single and multiplayer are top tier.

And my favourite multiplayer game on N64.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
LOL oops.

I meant "loved the fuck out of this game".

.....yeah that's what I meant...

Suuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeee....

Ha ha just kidding. I loved the fuck out of this game when I was younger as well. Thankfully, unlike other games I loved at that time, this game still is as good as it was. Not blowing smoke, either. Even the visuals look great.

Last edited:

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the only person I know that remembers this game, I think, and I always put it on my list of games I'm hoping are on the N64 Classic even though I know it'll never happen ;___;

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adored this game growing up. I remember I had no interest in non-kart racers due to believing they were all realistic, so when my cousins who lived next door got this as a gift I found it so lame. Oh how wrong I was.

The game was so full of charm and the courses were super exciting and distinct. We spent hours exploring every bit of every course, finding shortcuts and surprises. Unlocking new cars was pretty exciting too, I remember some having special abilities, like a police car that made others get out of the way when using the siren... That was a thing, right? I haven't played this in almost 20 years now, oops.

But yeah this is one of my favorite racers. It's always frustrating when I reminisce on that era with friends and nobody recognizes the name when I bring it up, haha.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
am I the only one who used to hop into Beetle Battle just to abuse the handbrake and pull off midair spins like a fucking tornado

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

Nice soundtrack too. Subtle and not too over the top. Other racing games that tried to pull off what BAR did would probably make everything cartoonish, overtly peppy, and ultimately annoying.

I absolutely adored this game growing up. I remember I had no interest in non-kart racers due to believing they were all realistic, so when my cousins who lived next door got this as a gift I found it so lame. Oh how wrong I was.

The game was so full of charm and the courses were super exciting and distinct. We spent hours exploring every bit of every course, finding shortcuts and surprises. Unlocking new cars was pretty exciting too, I remember some having special abilities, like a police car that made others get out of the way when using the siren... That was a thing, right? I haven't played this in almost 20 years now, oops.

But yeah this is one of my favorite racers. It's always frustrating when I reminisce on that era with friends and nobody recognizes the name when I bring it up, haha.

Yes! The Police Car pretty much made getting the secrets so much easier. Once you earned it, the game was damn near broken, in a good way.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Rented when I was younger and I have very fond memories of it. Great racer.

A mascot racer with in-track obstacles and weapons. Yeah it has a lot of differences, but it's similar enough to be in that same genre.

Sure, both Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing games are Kart Racing games, but both games played differently overall. Which was my original point, just because Diddy Kong Racing was a Kart game like Mario Kart doesn't meant it was a clone or a ripoff. That type of thinking needs to stop.

Last edited:

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I remember it being a very good looking game, way better than most 3rd party games (for example San Francisco Rush). Did EA have access to those Microcode dev-tools, which were exclusive to 1st & 2nd party developers (afair)?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It was a really nice game, I do miss the days of these arcade games with their shortcuts and set pieces.

I think that as a child, the concept of finding something secret But meaningful visually and gameplay wise was really rewarding.
Really find memories of lots of them on N64
San Francisco Rush 1/2/2049
Hydro Thunder
Arctic Thunder
Off Road Thunder
4 Wheel Thunder

Midway were so great at those

Still pleased to his day that MS made a new Hydro Thunder

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I remember it being a very good looking game, way better than most 3rd party games (for example San Francisco Rush). Did EA have access to those Microcode dev-tools, which were exclusive to 1st & 2nd party developers (afair)?

The developers co/developed Pilotwings 64, so presumably had a special relationship with Nintendo.
They did all of the formula 1 games too, which appeared almost photorealistic at the time

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I guess it goes without saying what I think of this game. One of the best games ever made and IMO probably the best racing game ever made.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
This is one of those games that I keep mentioning people and they all are like "what game again?". And it surprises me because it's such a good game! This and Body Harvest...

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
So what's everyone's favorite track in the game? I honestly can't decide. You can make a serious argument for Coventry Cove.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game. Really imaginative with its shortcuts.

It's worth checking out San Francisco 2049 as well. Its cut from the exact same cloth.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Should get back to it, bought it a few years ago but didn't have my Controller Pak on hand to save. I do now, though!

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame it has a license attached to it. We will probably never see it again.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
One of the best racing games ever, and I only rented it because I had played everything else at my local video store, lol. I'm so glad I did because it was the shock of a lifetime.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
The track designers went hard with this one. I still have random flashbacks of shortcuts and jumps to this day (like the huge drop into the caves on the snow track). Wonderfully flowing and unique courses layered with shortcuts. This kind of racing game is truly a lost art.

Oct 28, 2017
I think I might have purchased every single racing game for the Nintendo 64. When you only own 1 current gen console and that console has the kinda droughts the N64 you end up finding the gems like Beetle Adventure Racing and the duds like Dark Rift*

*I should have said AeroGauge

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I was hyped up for the game as a kid, got it, loved it, and somehow lost it after 2 weeks and never saw it again. I looked everywhere but nothing. It still bugs me how it just disappeared.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many people like me just realized an "on the surface 3rd party shovel-ware" title was loved by many more than just myself. Am shocked.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Goddamn you, OP:

UHEDvEa.jpg

I had to do a bunch of digging and now I'm probably going to waste my entire playing this (and also the other games I kept finding that made me go "ooooh! shit!")

Thanks a lot!

Markew

Oct 27, 2017
This game was so great. I still remember going into GameStop or EB Games and asking for it. The cashier proceeded to talk shit to a co-worker about "kiddy N64 games." My 14 year old self was very offended!

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Grrr-oovy!
Nasty!

I rented this game as a kid, but don't remember much besides the voice lines. Beetle battle mode was our jam.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I remember hesitating to get this, despite the gameplay sounding right up my alley, because reviews I read at the time were all over complaining about the small amount of tracks. I got it about half a year later anyway and loved it to bits! All the different ways you could go around these tracks was awesome! At the time it looked to me like they just put in 3 standard race tracks to make one big one.

mullfuchs

Jan 29, 2019
My family always rented this game as a kid, but we didn't have a save pack so we would play the same few levels over and over again, never unlocking the later cars/levels. It wasn't until a few years ago when I got a copy and played to the secret levels that had evaded me for decades.

The shortcuts and track designs are incredible. Massive for the time. I love how tracks had a separate starting and ending sections that you'd only race on the first/last laps.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
This game is one of the all-time sleeper hits. It also benefited from the N64 having so few games, so literally everyone played it at some point.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Game was awesome, I rented it multiple times. Tracks having so many interesting shortcuts was really neat.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Easily one of the best racing games ever made. It's a crime how forgotten it has become. Reviews were glowing back then, but it was not enough to stop it from being another casualty of the "N64 barely had any games" revisionist narrative.
its not really revisionist, but it does depend on what games you like. Like racing ,wrestling, platformer, and fps? n64 is great. want to play the hottest fighting games at the time, any rpg, the beginnings of the survival horror genre or, the big insurgance of stealth games like syphon gilter and metal gear, then your out of luck. i owned both and the n64 droughts were real.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Power got me so hyped for this game, and it delivered. Incredible title. The cars are so tight and weighty in their handling, and the courses are WORLDS onto themselves, with each lap lasting multiple minutes. Each time you start a new lap, you're thinking, "What detours do I want to take this time," because you can't see everything on a single lap — on Mount Mayhem, for example, if you take the scenic route across the bridge and through the canyon, you'll bypass the UFO hidden in the caves below. Speaking of which, Mount Mayhem is a god-tier snow world that I still revisit around Christmastime to this day (the N64 being the most nostalgic and magical system to dust off at Christmas, of course).

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I loved the tracks in this game. I remember getting some game magazine (maybe Tips and Tricks) that had beautiful hand drawn maps of the tracks that got me to rent and eventually buy this game.

That was also the magazine I had! You got it right, it was Tips and Tricks Magazine, and I remember the beautiful hand drawn maps as well. I gotta see if I can track down those photos, though I wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't find them. I spent hours just studying those maps, and best part is, the game itself actually matched the maps for beauty.

skooges

Nov 8, 2017
I remember hesitating to get this, despite the gameplay sounding right up my alley, because reviews I read at the time were all over complaining about the small amount of tracks. I got it about half a year later anyway and loved it to bits! All the different ways you could go around these tracks was awesome! At the time it looked to me like they just put in 3 standard race tracks to make one big one.
Another part similar to that I really liked - the beginning of the track on lap 1 and the ending of the track on lap 3 were always different and unique. I always thought that was such a cool touch.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
One track in Beetle Adventure Racing is like the scope and complexity of five courses in Mario Kart 64 rolled together. The tracks in BAR are more akin to worlds. Each lap, you can take a different route and see something different.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Another part similar to that I really liked - the beginning of the track on lap 1 and the ending of the track on lap 3 were always different and unique. I always thought that was such a cool touch.

I can't some people complained about the lack of tracks. You gotta be like the spoiled kid who whines about not getting a BMW in the right color.

Not a criticism for me. If they tried to have more tracks, the tracks would have sucked.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Fucking loved this game. I was obsessed with finding all the shortcuts because the tracks had a lot going on.

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I feel that reviving this thread is the right thing to do. Man, this game is so amazing; probably the best arcade racer of all time. The level design is just so creative and interesting, with more shortcuts in a race track than most games would have in their entirety. It also handles like a dream, so effortless and perfect for the shortcut bonanza that the game is! If I was VW's CEO, I would make sure to pay EA every single dollar needed to revive this masterpiece on modern consoles. I miss this shortcut-heavy arcade racing era, such as San Francisco Rush and 2049, Crash Team Racing and others. Still waiting for the (hopefully) eventual arcade racer comeback; I'll do so patiently, replaying the based Beetle's Adventure Racing on N64 :)