• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't get why you would get upset over this one, did Johnny Klebbitz really need to ride of into the sunset and have a happy ending?

You guys are acting like he's John Marston or something.

driftshake

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User warned: thread whining, antagonistic drive-by/trolling
This is just exposition. He is bad. We shouldn't like him.

If this is too offensive to you snowflakes, then you should just burn down the whole industry.. You'll probably take down the movie and music industry as well, because this is what it's all about. Not thread worthy, shut it down.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was neat to get resolution to a GTA IV character story. His commitment to Ashley dragged him down, and the gang as a whole seems to have limped on after the end of TLAD.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
After all of GTA V I just could never like Trevor as a whole. The most I liked him was when he had good intentions like wanting to help Michael's kids or Franklin. Sadly that wasn't most of his story arc.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Most of my issues with this game begin with the transition to Trevor and then a relatively straight forward story went EVERYWHERE. This scene in particular didn't bother me, but him killing Lloyd really put me off.

what do you think GTA is?
GTA has always been edgy, violent, and juvenile, but there are points in GTAV, mostly involving Trevor, where the game crosses lines for what even some GTA fans are willing to accept. "Lol, it's GTA!" isn't a defense.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
I mean these characters are temporary avatars for the player, firmly rooted in a world of violence/crime, so your new self-insert killing your old self-insert is its own weird form of passing the torch and at least feels mildly appropriate given what terrible people they are.

You could also make an argument that, given the tens (even hundreds!) of thousands of deaths at the hands of an unphased/uncaring player, one of our avatars killing off a different avatar is the only meaningful characterization left to be gained through violence; if GTA avatars are all violent psychopaths, then Trevor is being telegraphed as the top of the pile.

Yeah that's my take on it. I appreciated the scene and it's nuanced in a way it seems a lot here don't or won't recognize.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my gosh yes. Trevor is fucking disturbed. That scene was fucked and the amount of blood just hinted at what kind of carnage went on behind closed doors. Just...holy shit.
Yep, that was one, where I was like, but why ...

I don't get the praise this character was getting in reviews.

I'm actually fine with this scene, but the game started with him at an 11 and just went up from there. And then his missions were so far off the beaten path it was like, why am I supposed to care about any of this, AND THEN we got to his heist.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Sucked, but we got Lamar in GTAV so everything is good. Lamar > everyone else
For real. I still live by this quote today
"When there's some shit to be won, Goddamnit, I want it. I don't give a fuck what it is. Y'know what I'm talkin' about? I take no prisoners. I go hard doing this shit. Big dog. Big nuts. When names is on a motherfuckin' board, I want to see my name at the top of that motherfucker and next to it, it need to say "Winner"."

Sometimes you gotta stop acting like it's mature not to care or compete and just go win whatever it is that needs winning. Baseball against little kids? Win. Mario Kart with your daughter? Win.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the game was off to a good start when Trevor killed Johnny. I couldn't stand those biker fucks in the dlc. I ran over Ashley too for good measure after the cinematic ended.

After the constant "I don't want to kill people and I want to become a better person but I'm gonna be a mass murderer anyway" bs that was Niko in 4 I enjoyed playing the opposite who at least was honest about what he was.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i didn't know johnny was a character in a prior game, but i thought the scene was in bad taste and it was shortly before i gave up on GTAV (not the sole cause, but it drove me in that direction). felt like they took liberty with their "Hey, it's just GTA" card. i know they wanted to veer off the seriousness of GTAIV a bit but yeah trevor wasn't a protag i could get behind in a story driven game, unless it's just balls to wall absurd like a suda 51 joint or something

Oct 25, 2017
Dismissing a concern with "What do you think GTA is?" doesn't actually contribute anything here.
I literally just told you that wasn't a rhetorical question. That wasn't dismissing a concern, that was asking.

I also described a similar scene with Trevor that put me off as well. I'm also criticizing the game like everyone else. It's right there to read.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: After that scene there is a separate line of dialogue from Wade if you back over Ashley with your truck while she is grieving for Johnny.

Trevor is literally designed for the people who just want to run around and cause mayhem.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I literally just told you that wasn't a rhetorical question. That wasn't dismissing a concern, that was asking.

I also described a similar scene with Trevor that put me off as well. I'm also criticizing the game like everyone else. It's right there to read.
I apologize. I obviously misread.

Oct 25, 2017
For real. I still live by this quote today
"When there's some shit to be won, Goddamnit, I want it. I don't give a fuck what it is. Y'know what I'm talkin' about? I take no prisoners. I go hard doing this shit. Big dog. Big nuts. When names is on a motherfuckin' board, I want to see my name at the top of that motherfucker and next to it, it need to say "Winner"."

Sometimes you gotta stop acting like it's mature not to care or compete and just go win whatever it is that needs winning. Baseball against little kids? Win. Mario Kart with your daughter? Win.
One of the times it felt like the game had something to say. His reaction to seeing Franklin's name on the board.

Easily take this over Michael's old man rants about the game and capitalism.

And then I never knew what Trevor was going on about.

The next game needs to be about one or two things and just focus on that. Poke fun at other things within the world.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk I had it planned out in my head to kill Trevor until Devin just showed his entire ass in that final mission. I'm glad too cause that mission is one of my favorite missions of all time. The interaction between Franklin and Lamar was amazing in that mission.

Just in case people are forgetting

And this right here was the mission that put me on the kill Trevor bandwagon until Devin happened

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I'm really not a fan of GTA V's tone and storytelling. For me, it was a big step back from IV (which admittedly isn't perfect). I even think IV with the DLCs pulled off the multiple protagonist story better.

Oct 31, 2017
God damn this entire scene is tasteless as fuck lmao. I guess Rockstar did one thing right in making Trevor 'memorable' but this was weaaaaaaaaak.[/MEDIA]

I think that's kind of the point of the scene. That the ethos of V takes a vapid dump on the ethos/ideas/philosophies of GTA IV.

"You wanted stupid zany bullshit? Well here it is!!"

That was just a metaphor for Rockstar killing off single player DLC.

I also think that this is true too.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
If this is too offensive to you snowflakes
It's not about being offensive snookums, the scene is trash because they killed off a WAY more interesting character with a better story to set up one that doesn't go anywhere. It's not even about not liking Trevor, Rockstar wanted to make a full on psychopath but we got some jokey comic relief character instead that rants about "hipsters" and "millennials".

Corny as fuck.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
This scene didn't bother me too much, as I liked Johnny but didn't have the emotional attachment to him as say Niko or CJ. They later reference NB as a total unkillable bad ass which I thought was cool.

Rockstar: Masters of Storytelling.

GTA V wasn't their best. But RDR2's story and writing put them up back on top in my opinion.

Eh, cheap shot, but he's pretty critical of Star Wars to, so I'd try another method of writing him off.

That's like saying I can't criticize anything because of my DBZ avatar, implying I think its perfect.
Just sayin people who live in glass houses shouldn't say Revenge of the Sith is a good movie and then say a game lauded for it's story doesn't have a good story. As is written in the bible.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I love the game, but GTA V must have the worst cast of characters of any video games. Almost every single one of them is an insufferable asshole. Even Michael and Franklin, who are sort of tolerable, are so freaking whiny. I guess Lester and Franklin's ex-girlfriend are alright.

Compare that to Sleeping Dogs, a similar game, in which all the characters, cops and baddies, are quite likeable and interesting.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
GTA 5's story is weird in general. I didn't quite finish the game but it felt like all you did was do some fbi guys hard work all game even though you're playing as a group of criminals. 4s story on the other hand was mostly pretty good.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol, they are completely beloved and get the benefit of the doubt way more often than others. Get outside of your little bubble

I am talking about this forum.

I love the game, but GTA V must have the worst cast of characters of any video games. Almost every single one of them is an insufferable asshole. Even Michael and Franklin, who are sort of tolerable, are so freaking whiny. I guess Lester and Franklin's ex-girlfriend are alright.

That's what they were going for, no?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Any particular reason you feel this way? What were some of the things you disliked with RDR2's story? Pacing, the characters, etc?

I've expanded on this before, but I'll do it again here just not tonight, too tired. But, I will explain myself.

Just sayin people who live in glass houses shouldn't say Revenge of the Sith is a good movie and then say a game lauded for it's story doesn't have a good story. As is written in the bible.

I'm fully aware of the faults of ROTS which I have spoken about at lentgh. I would never hold the movie up as some high benchmark of writing nor as even one of the best SW movies. So, try again and actually debate the subject matter at hand.