• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheAdmiester

Mar 1, 2018
I think it was bad writing just for the sake of shock value. Killing off a beloved character just to show that Trevor is some unpredictable scary hard man you should totally be afraid of guys!

Trevor just seemed silly to me. Michael just seemed more fleshed-out and well written - it felt like he was so constantly stressed and on-edge that the moments where he snaps and goes crazy are way scarier than Trevor.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Johnny was never getting another game, nor a followup, just like every other Rockstar protag, so I wasn't bothered by this at all.

Plus Rockstar stated all the GTA characters from the past probably wound up dead or busted at some point.

Also Stephen Ogg really shines as an actor here, his "Get em off!" is ace.
Yup

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think it's good scene. Also, it goes to show that Johnny really was beyond recovery, so it serves as some bleak closure.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Loved that scene, it really set the tone for Trevor and left you with a disturbed feeling (in a good way). Trevor is such a piece of shit, I love it.

Oct 29, 2017
The whole story of GTAV was garbage. I've played through it twice for whatever reason and I can hardly remember anything about it. This scene felt like some misguided attempt at making Trevor seem crazy but it really just makes Johnny look like he turned into a big pussy.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was going to be the scene where he killed the woman and his....cousin...or friend...whoever it was

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
To this day I have no fucking idea what the point of killing Johnny off was. It's such a cheap way of making Trevor look like a some zany maniac but he's such a shit character. I understand that it sets off the plot with the Lost and the other gangs but it's such a garbage scene. Weak sendoff for a great character with one of the best story arcs amongst R* games. Why is he even with Ashley at this point? The ending of TLaD contradicts all of this. Why would he get back into drugs again?

God damn this entire scene is tasteless as fuck lmao. I guess Rockstar did one thing right in making Trevor 'memorable' but this was weaaaaaaaaak.

Yup. Yup. Yup.

Oct 25, 2017

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
People talk about the torture scene but what happened to the couple they crashed at was the most fucked up thing in GTAV.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Showing a likeable character can fall to drug abuse and become a hollow shell of his past, getting knocked off like nothing. Also painting Trevor as a horrible character by killing a previous protagonist.

Very effective. I wasn't a fan of Johnny myself but that set the tone for Trevor right away in an a manner and speed I didn't think was possible. I actually was shocked and saddened by what happened to a character I didn't even like.

I think it was bad writing just for the sake of shock value. Killing off a beloved character just to show that Trevor is some unpredictable scary hard man you should totally be afraid of guys!

Trevor just seemed silly to me. Michael just seemed more fleshed-out and well written - it felt like he was so constantly stressed and on-edge that the moments where he snaps and goes crazy are way scarier than Trevor.

Nonsense. People that you cannot predict their actions on top of being a sociopath are always much scarier. Especially if you met someone like that in real life. You cannot "flesh" out a person like that because they perceive the world in a totally different manner and no one would relate.
Take for instance the recent Daredevil. They had to introduce a moral compass like figure and ritual behavior to stabilize a particular Sociopath character.
Trevor is that character but in an environment where there was no compass or ritual to bring him to something we would relate to.

Last edited:

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It was tasteless and I didn't even know who Johnny was because I didn't play GTA IV more than 3 hours. GTAV had a tone that didn't sit right with me at all, and I loved Vice City and San Andreas.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
That's the scene, I thoght you were talking about the torture thing. As far as that goes, I hate it in a " Fuck you for liking this character " kind of way, that's kind of what happens when a company just decides to kill or shit on a character like that. That said, I don't like johnny much , or his DLC and a lot of people don't so... guess that's why they did it. Only mentioned nico, there's a reference to gay tony but no mention of Luis IIRC. Also Gay tony shows up in DLC. So I think they just... didn't like Johnny, which sucks if you did like him.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. Introduced Trevor's character with a bang, and presented a pretty sad ending for an old protagonist, which made sense considering how Lost & Damned ended.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
What does this even mean? I swear to god, some people on this forum...

People who don't like violence should seek another hobby, fr.

My problem is not with the violence, it's with the aggressively juvenile, obnoxious, witless, redundant, unsubtle writing.

That said, RDR was an improvement over Rockstar's previous stuff. Haven't played 2 yet.

Feb 10, 2018
It was pretty stupid, Johnny was a tough mofo, after all when playing as him he killed loads of bad dudes, he would of put up way more of a fight against Trevor.

I suppose R* were going for a "if you think Johnny was tough, you ain't seen nothing yet" angle. It did kinda work, but when you think about it, it is not that clever.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Trevor is one of the best characters in all media IMO. He's so well done. I hope they bring him back for GTA 6.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
packshot-97533829774c3c6a765b8506839446ea.jpg

Not serious enough. I'm talking about the writing in the radio stations as well. A lot of the dialogue in GTA4 is also meant to lend a hand to humor through people who are an obvious parody of particular troupes very similar to how the other GTA games handled their humor. You can argue it was more subtle I guess.

I'd like a GTA that handles humor the same way as a well written drama a la The Sopranos, not like a comedy film filled with cartoon characters that are so stupid you wonder how they made it as long as they did.

The counter argument would be; why would you want a game, where you can go on a shooting spree, takes itself that seriously?

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty stupid, Johnny was a tough mofo, after all when playing as him he killed loads of bad dudes, he would of put up way more of a fight against Trevor.

I suppose R* were going for a "if you think Johnny was tough, you ain't seen nothing yet" angle. It did kinda work, but when you think about it, it is not that clever.
No, they went for the angle where Johnny slid down the slippery slope and turned into a meth addict, and was a shell of his former self, and couldn't do jack shit about a deranged Canadian literally stomping his brains out.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yeah I thought it was done. It happened and I was just wondering why. It didn't really illicate any emotions it just felt purposeless.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
User warned: Driveby, low effort post
ah yes, contrarian olympics, my favorite resetera past time.