• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Over mic to ear piece while feeding him lines to him: And give him head whenever he wants it *laughs*

Him: Give him headdddllp. Help. Be a beacon in his sad life. Can you do that?

After encounter: Give him head?

On mic mocking: Be a beacon.

junk

Nov 1, 2017
I just recently watched this back to back with midnight run. Don't sleep on the classics!

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked this movie when it first came out and have liked it every time I've seen it since, although I don't think I've seen it in at least 15 years. I need to rectify that.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I only saw it for the first time a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Felt completely fresh, and a perfect mix of genres and tones. I should rewatch it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I just recorded this on Xfinity recently, its part of some movies I have on in the background at times while working.

After all these years I still see things I didnt realize before. Like how the movie started with hacking X bank accounts/funds and giving money to Y, the movie ends the same way, lol.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Saw this again recently (after several decades) and it's still solid.
I especially appreciated young-ish David Strathairn :)

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Great movie. And fun to think that the Cray supercomputer (that they sit on!) is far less powerful than modern smart phones.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely loved this movie growing, and as many others have said, recently rewatched and it still holds up. Some other "nostalgia" movies do not, and others "hold up" just cause of the nostalgia, but this is still hands down a great movie.

Saw this again recently (after several decades) and it's still solid.
I especially appreciated young-ish David Strathairn :)
Holy fucking shit, that's Klaes Ashford! I just realized!

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing show. I watch it regularly. Balances comedy, suspense and some level of drama expertly.

Never really understood why Phil Alden Robertson didn't go on to a more prominent career after this and Field of Dreams.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
"There isn't a government on this planet that wouldn't kill us all for that thing."

The way the tone of the movie changes abruptly when Poitier delivers this line is brilliant.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I watched it for the first time not too long ago. It's not as good as the best Redford films from the 70's but it's solid.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this as a kid. Still do. Watched it with the wife last year, but she fell asleep.

To be fair, it was late at night.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never really understood why Phil Alden Robertson didn't go on to a more prominent career after this and Field of Dreams.

I think he focused on activism and doing stuff for the the Writer's Guild and Motion Picture Academy. The only big thing he did after Sneakers was The Sum of All Fears (which actually has a Sneakers reference in it, towards the beginning).

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
When Hacking was Cool: Sneakers and the Computer Era

Sneakers (1992) would never be made today. ...

I am also struck by the attitude toward hacking in this era. Around the 80s-00s, we have:
TRON
WarGames
Sneakers
Hackers
The Matrix

All of them look to the computer age with wonder and hope, in their own way.

The computer geek was an archetype in this era. Usually in high school or fresh out of it, he (almost always a man) never got good grades but excelled with computers. That put him on the bad side of the law, which sometimes dangles freedom in exchange for working for the Man.

The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and its 1984 predecessor were passed literally in response to WarGames (1983). Hacking went from teenage indiscretion to ruin-your-life felony.

In some of these movies, the Hacker beats The Man at his own game. The heroes of Sneakers and Hackers out-hack The Man and liberate information and money for all. In The Matrix, a techno-dystopia, Neo is a programmer. He is raised in the world of machines yet able to change their simulation for the better and save the world.

These films and probably others build up to the first dotcom bubble - already by 1995 (Hackers), the villain is a security expert hacker. He lives the high life, the audience intrigued by the contradiction of a thief's life with a white hat's legality.

And this is what our world became, 25 years later. Computers, the Net, and the World Wide Web (different concepts now merged into what we think of as "the Internet") are dominated by the most evil motherfuckers who mostly obey the letter of the law.

Dec 30, 2020
Love Sneakers, always urge my students to see it when I teach encryption. And speaking of, the technical advisor for the film was Leonard Adleman, who Is one of the reseachers who devised RSA Encryption! ...his name is literally the A in RSA. To this day, all of the computer science on display holds up, aside from the graphical user interface that appears during decryption, although that's just so the cast wouldn't be gathered around a blank screen or a percentage bar.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Love Sneakers, always urge my students to see it when I teach encryption. And speaking of, the technical advisor for the film was Leonard Adleman, who Is one of the reseachers who devised RSA Encryption! ...his name is literally the A in RSA. To this day, all of the computer science on display holds up, aside from the graphical user interface that appears during decryption, although that's just so the cast wouldn't be gathered around a blank screen or a percentage bar.
Wait really? I have decent knowledge of encryption and I only remember it being technobabble. Isn't the main conflict over a black box that breaks encryption? We don't get how the black box works.

Dec 30, 2020
Wait really? I have decent knowledge of encryption and I only remember it being technobabble. Isn't the main conflict over a black box that breaks encryption? We don't get how the black box works.
If I recall correctly (we only hear bits of the mathematician rambling) he found a mathematical algorithm for working out a cipher's key in polynomial time. And it IS theoretically possible to do that with frequency analysis but it takes a long damn time. It is pointed out later in the film that it would only work for the version used in America.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Such a good movie.
It's just terrific handiwork on every level. It's extremely engaging. Even if it's about technology and encryption it's easy to wrap your head around the gist of it. It just flows so well and following the characters solve the mystery is so engrossing.
The characters are so likeable and well acted and their relationships to each other are also so well done. The music builds up the movie so well and kicks in at all the right moments and sets the mood wonderfully.

in a way it feels like the team behind this movie could have made a movie about anything and it would just work.