• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I noticed after exfoliating my nose would become really oily. Just my nose for some reason. Read that it was due to over-doing it so I literally use a couple of dabs on the pad and just do left; front and right side a single wipe. Still, my nose appears to end up getting oily afterwards and every few days I wake up with white heads on it. What am I doing wrong? I'm using the Paula's Choice.

So...you just follow those general guidlines if you have nothing going on or specific with your face?

Not sure if you're replying to a specific post but if you're talking about the OP: at the very least you should be cleaning and moisturizing (and using sun screen), and yes even if you don't have anything "going on." The point is to keep your skin healthy and avoid damage and potential medical conditions, including cancer when it comes to things like overexposure to sun.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Hi,

I'm new to caring for my skin. I'm 32/male and I'm starting to now actually care about those "worry lines" on my forehead. Any way to reduce/eliminate those that is safe and healthy? I'm going to go over the OP here and start my own routine ASAP but I wanted to know about the worry lines, lol

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just an update but I started using noxzema and my closed comedomes have drastically reduced. It's crazy because this cleanser/exfoliate has been used by my family for years before me...and as soon as I start incorporating it I can see the results.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed after exfoliating my nose would become really oily. Just my nose for some reason. Read that it was due to over-doing it so I literally use a couple of dabs on the pad and just do left; front and right side a single wipe. Still, my nose appears to end up getting oily afterwards and every few days I wake up with white heads on it. What am I doing wrong? I'm using the Paula's Choice.

Not sure if you're replying to a specific post but if you're talking about the OP: at the very least you should be cleaning and moisturizing (and using sun screen), and yes even if you don't have anything "going on." The point is to keep your skin healthy and avoid damage and potential medical conditions, including cancer when it comes to things like overexposure to sun.

Generally, Nose is probably preducing extra oil due to lack of hydration. The oil is being produced to compensate for this dryness on your skin. Look into adding hydration products like a a good toner/essence, or a really good hydrating moisturiser at night and also niacinamide to your routine. . Could get a facial oil from say The Ordinary and mix it in with your moisturiser in your palm. Generally save these heavier moisturisers for night time (Don't want to be a an oil slick in the day). In the day use a lighter moisturiser like a gel one, not cream one. But can still layer a hydration product before hand. Some of my fav affordable hydration products are Cosrx Snail Mucin (Benton and Purito do good ones too), Hado Labo premium Hylaronic acid, Pyun Kang Yul toner essence, Klairs unscented toner, Purito unscented centella essence,. If you have a Muji store near you they do a really affordable toner too, their "Light Toning Water High Moisture" but its more a thinner consistency and i layer it with another essence. If you don't want too many steps you probaly want one single hydration essence witha. thicker consistency.
Always put the exfoliator first, let sink in for a couple minutes then add in the hydrators, then moisturiser, (then SPF if in day time).

On the flip side, if hydration doesn't seem to work, maybe you're over exfoliating so reduce frequency or it could be genes. Some people just have oilier genes. But the fact you said this only started after exfoliating your nose makes me think it is the Paulas Choice product (BHA I assume?). A great product I would suggest adding is Niacinamide (Vit B3). Its good for pores, sebum production and overall skin barrier health. The Ordinary do a good affordable 10% + Zinc one. So do Inkey List, which is without zinc as sometimes zinc can irritate people, but for others the zinc can be good for acne. If you're feeling slighlty more boujee, Paulas Choice do a really nice one. Paulasu Choice even have a pretty new 20% one. First company I've seen do that, but there isn't much or any research whether that high percentage has greater benefits.

Hi,

I'm new to caring for my skin. I'm 32/male and I'm starting to now actually care about those "worry lines" on my forehead. Any way to reduce/eliminate those that is safe and healthy? I'm going to go over the OP here and start my own routine ASAP but I wanted to know about the worry lines, lol

First and foremost, sun proection AKA SPF. Use daily. Also, start using a retinol ASAP. Then once skin has acclimated, move onto a stronger prescription retinoid such as adapalene or tretinoin. You muse SPF with a retinoid. It sensitises your skin, no ifs or buts. SPF has to be like brushing your teeth. You won't really be able to eliminate them completely without botox. Skincare products are anti-age, not reverse aging. Once they're there, the best you can work is on reducing them a bit and heavy protection to prevent them getting worse. Gua Sha, a chinese form of facial massage is meant to be good too. Also sleep on your back, sleeping on your side makes your skin sag, especially to one particular side. If want to get fancy and new skincare technologies/products where data behind them isn't as good, can look into things like peptides, like matrixyl, argireline, copper, C60. In fact, The Ordinary do a really affordable Matrixyl and Argireline. People have said the Matrixyl has helped with forhead lines. Its something you will have to keep up though.

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the info.

So, without any real treatment other than toner and face wash, I still get acne into my 30's. It's not horrible, but I do get several pimples a week, and a lot of pimple like bumps on my forehead, especially when I workout.

I was looking at BHA/AHA products, but most of them I can find are like ~$50 for a 30 day supply (at least in Canada).

Is there a reason I wouldn't just do ProActiv for $30/mo all in? Seems like the cheaper option.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Alright after reading more is sounds like ProActiv may be unnecessarily harsh and drying.

I ordered Baxter AHA Mask and their weekly scrub, since I really liked their scrub in the past. Not sure if the mask will be enough since it's not an overnight thing.

I'll try to find a BHA product. Can't I just use some cheap salicylic acid wash like clean & clear? Paula's is crazy expensive.

edit: I guess I'll give Paula's a shot. Should I just get this kit and call it a day?

www.paulaschoice.com

CLEAR Regular Strength Acne Products Kit | Paula's Choice

This CLEAR acne skin care kit, in regular strength, includes: Pore Normalizing Cleanser, Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution, and Skin Clearing Treatment.

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I got impatient lol. Order placed.

2VRTCKK.png

l2mmhnm.png

I know it's not recommended in the OP, but I've bought that Baxter facial scrub before and it's probably my favorite product I've ever used. Smells incredible. Super, super gritty though, so I only use it occasionally. Not sure if it accomplishes anything, but it feels nice before a shave (I typically shave every 1-2 weeks since I have very little facial hair).

Not sure if I'll end up using the Clay mask or the PC's AHA...just got them to try.

I'll try to use the rest of the PC products daily and see how it goes. The only thing that confuses me is the PC toner. It seems more like a moisturizer to me? My girlfriend's toners are mostly potent liquids: witch hazel or tea tre or alcohol based. I'm a bit afraid of the toner clogging up my pores. Hopefully not.

Another question: I tend to get frequent ingrowns from shaving, especially on my neck (my hairs grow in every direction so it's hard to go with the grain). I use a safety razor for this reason since it gives me a lot less ingrowns. But they still happen. Should I just use the BHA right after shaving?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'll try to use the rest of the PC products daily and see how it goes. The only thing that confuses me is the PC toner. It seems more like a moisturizer to me? My girlfriend's toners are mostly potent liquids: witch hazel or tea tre or alcohol based. I'm a bit afraid of the toner clogging up my pores. Hopefully not.
I can't speak for much of the other stuff you've purchased, but I use the same Paula's Choice toner and AHA/BHA exfoliants. The toner is definitely not a moisturiser; you should use it after cleansing and before applying any other products.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for much of the other stuff you've purchased, but I use the same Paula's Choice toner and AHA/BHA exfoliants. The toner is definitely not a moisturiser; you should use it after cleansing and before applying any other products.
I use that same one. It's definitely moisturizing as most good toners nowadays particularly the ones that do not contain any actives.

Oct 30, 2017
Bumpity bump. So I've had atrophic scars on my cheeks (boxcar) and forehead (icepick) since I was a teen, and I must say, TCA Cross + dermarolling DIY combo absolutely works. Literally. After years of researching, spending thousands of dollars at a derm's office, performing various methods myself to remove them, and getting constantly disappointed that they didn't work, I found a regimen that will finally remove those suckers.

I started 3 months ago, and I've done 6 sessions in total so far, so 3 TCA Cross and 3 dermarolling sessions. I use TCA Cross 80% and a 1.5 mm dermaroller. I perform these alternatively on a 2-week interval, i.e., I dermaroll today, the next 2 weeks I do TCA Cross, then the next 2 weeks I dermaroll, and so forth. I'm sure a lot of people in this thread already know about it or can research about them, but I'll go ahead and outline the steps just so it's easier to follow:

TCA Cross 80%
  1. Ensure gloves are on
  2. Have a few toothpicks (for icepick and smaller boxcar scars) and cotton swabs (for bigger boxcar scars) ready.
  3. Despite toothpicks being small, they cover a lot of surface area after skin contact, especially cotton swabs. I recommend sharpening them
  4. Dip your choice of instrument multiple times in the bottle so there's enough TCA in them
  5. Poke directly at the entire depressed scar for a few seconds to ensure the entire scar is covered. Expect a stinging sensation for each poke
  6. After a minute or so, the scars will frost
  7. When you're done, wash face with water. Moisturize if needed
Dermarolling
  1. Ensure dermaroller has no bent needles
  2. Coat or spray dermaroller with 70% isopropyl alcohol
  3. Wash face with water, then wipe some alcohol on face
  4. Roll dermaroller on one area of my face 6-8 times. Lift as you go, not in a back-and-forth motion.
  5. Depending on needle length, you may get pinpoint bleeding
  6. When you're done, wash face with water
  7. Swish dermaroller vigorously in water mixed with dish soap
  8. Coat or spray dermaroller with 70% isopropyl alcohol again
  9. Apply Vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, and so forth on face for better results. Expect stinging as your skin deeply absorbs them

After doing this for 3 months, I'm super delighted about the results so far, and I would say it's a 40% improvement right now: the existing deeper scars are shallow now and a few of the shallower scars I had are literally gone. To make sure that I wasn't fooling myself, I even put angled lighting against my face to see if the indentation smoothened out, and they are! Some of my scars post-TCA scabbing are hyperpigmented, while some are not, and I made sure not to mess with the scabs since it took 6-9 days for them to fall out. Moreover, the first time you do TCA Cross, some of those scars may appear wider, but they say that's just a sign of the skin healing. Sometimes I wonder if dermarolling is absolutely necessary since TCA does most of the heavy lifting, but then I realize that after doing TCA on icepick scars, they become shallow. Dermarolling against these shallow scars helps them to be smoothened out, and overall for our skin it helps speed up the healing process—as well as for anti-aging purposes—especially using Vitamin C, niacinamide, and sunscreen. Also, since we've all been stuck at home, it makes this process incredibly easy, so I don't have to worry about anyone seeing my face being red and full of scabs. If I have to go out, I wear sunscreen, a baseball cap, and a mask. Full-on protection, and it feels hella good; otherwise, I stay away from outside. But man, I regret not doing this earlier on, because if I did I might've seen more significant results now, but I gotta be patient!

I do want to note that this isn't my first time dermarolling as I've done it consistently starting in 2016. However, I was only using a 0.75 mm and 1.0 mm, which didn't do much to my indented scars. It only took a 1.5 dermaroller to make some difference, which makes sense since my scars were deeper. I had also done subcision, laser treatments, fat grafting, chemical peels, and so forth. Subcision did help, which broke off the rolling and tethered scars that I had (which actually cannot be treated by TCA or dermarolling), but didn't do anything on my boxcar and icepick scars. Laser treatments and chemical peels only helped to get rid of PIH/PIE. Fat grafting sort of worked and I was initially excited, but after a month or so the rest of them got absorbed or lost so the scars became visible again. Like I said earlier, I did a lot to try and get rid of them, but so far only a combination of TCA Cross and dermarolling have demonstrated significant results, which I knew conceptually before, but either I was hesitant (like thinking TCA was only an in-office treatment) or I didn't do it effectively (since I used smaller needles for dermarollers instead of longer ones). Although people don't recommend doing this at home, if there's no any other option and you've exhausted all of them, I'd say it's good to do this as a last resort.

I want to give credit to this study and these series of blogposts and threads. Sorry I don't have pictures, but pretty much my process is derived from these guys, and their before and afters are incredible, but I'll let the results speak for themselves. I hope this post helps you just as it did for me! :)
Here's my routine if anyone's curious:

AM
  1. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
  2. SAL3 Sulfur Soap 3% Salicylic Acid
  3. Rohto Melano CC Vitamin C
  4. CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion
  5. Neutrogena CF Sunscreen 30 SPF
PM
  1. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
  2. SAL3 Sulfur Soap 3% Salicylic Acid
  3. Hada Labo Premium Hyaluronic Acid
  4. CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM
  5. NIVEA 48hr Body Lotion (for body only, not face)
Biweekly

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Generally, Nose is probably preducing extra oil due to lack of hydration. The oil is being produced to compensate for this dryness on your skin. Look into adding hydration products like a a good toner/essence, or a really good hydrating moisturiser at night and also niacinamide to your routine. . Could get a facial oil from say The Ordinary and mix it in with your moisturiser in your palm. Generally save these heavier moisturisers for night time (Don't want to be a an oil slick in the day). In the day use a lighter moisturiser like a gel one, not cream one. But can still layer a hydration product before hand. Some of my fav affordable hydration products are Cosrx Snail Mucin (Benton and Purito do good ones too), Hado Labo premium Hylaronic acid, Pyun Kang Yul toner essence, Klairs unscented toner, Purito unscented centella essence,. If you have a Muji store near you they do a really affordable toner too, their "Light Toning Water High Moisture" but its more a thinner consistency and i layer it with another essence. If you don't want too many steps you probaly want one single hydration essence witha. thicker consistency.
Always put the exfoliator first, let sink in for a couple minutes then add in the hydrators, then moisturiser, (then SPF if in day time).

On the flip side, if hydration doesn't seem to work, maybe you're over exfoliating so reduce frequency or it could be genes. Some people just have oilier genes. But the fact you said this only started after exfoliating your nose makes me think it is the Paulas Choice product (BHA I assume?). A great product I would suggest adding is Niacinamide (Vit B3). Its good for pores, sebum production and overall skin barrier health. The Ordinary do a good affordable 10% + Zinc one. So do Inkey List, which is without zinc as sometimes zinc can irritate people, but for others the zinc can be good for acne. If you're feeling slighlty more boujee, Paulas Choice do a really nice one. Paulasu Choice even have a pretty new 20% one. First company I've seen do that, but there isn't much or any research whether that high percentage has greater benefits.

First and foremost, sun proection AKA SPF. Use daily. Also, start using a retinol ASAP. Then once skin has acclimated, move onto a stronger prescription retinoid such as adapalene or tretinoin. You muse SPF with a retinoid. It sensitises your skin, no ifs or buts. SPF has to be like brushing your teeth. You won't really be able to eliminate them completely without botox. Skincare products are anti-age, not reverse aging. Once they're there, the best you can work is on reducing them a bit and heavy protection to prevent them getting worse. Gua Sha, a chinese form of facial massage is meant to be good too. Also sleep on your back, sleeping on your side makes your skin sag, especially to one particular side. If want to get fancy and new skincare technologies/products where data behind them isn't as good, can look into things like peptides, like matrixyl, argireline, copper, C60. In fact, The Ordinary do a really affordable Matrixyl and Argireline. People have said the Matrixyl has helped with forhead lines. Its something you will have to keep up though.

Wow, thank you for all this. I didn't even realize you replied with all this until just now, so thank you very, very much.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cheebdragonite your post is fucking legendary. Really, REALLY apprciate and couldn't have come at a better time for me. Isnt 80% bit too strong for TCA cross? I did 100% for a ice pick scar on my nose and it worked. Like the scar literally filled in. But it also hyperpigmentated meaning I had to use hydroquinone to bring the melanin back down. I was thinking of bumping my next ones down to 30 or 50%. I really need to get back into tca cross for my cheek ice pick and box scars. I thoguht TCA cross was strictly for ice pick not good for box and rolling scars? I've also been seriously off putting dermarolling for like a year. Need to start too and hopefully get a proper microneedling device like the Dr Pen once got some more cash.

Oct 30, 2017
cheebdragonite your post is fucking legendary. Really, REALLY apprciate and couldn't have come at a better time for me. Isnt 80% bit too strong for TCA cross? I did 100% for a ice pick scar on my nose and it worked. Like the scar literally filled in. But it also hyperpigmentated meaning I had to use hydroquinone to bring the melanin back down. I was thinking of bumping my next ones down to 30 or 50%. I really need to get back into tca cross for my cheek ice pick and box scars. I thoguht TCA cross was strictly for ice pick not good for box and rolling scars? I've also been seriously off putting dermarolling for like a year. Need to start too and hopefully get a proper microneedling device like the Dr Pen once got some more cash.
Aye, thanks a bunch! They say a lower concentration is just as effective as a higher one, but the only difference is the time it takes for the skin to heal, which is why a high concentration will make the affected area scab and be highly hyperpigmented, while a lower concentration will simply either peel and/or be slightly hyperpigmented. They also say lower concentration (10%) works well as a whole face peel (so TCA Peel), and a higher concentration (80%) works on just a specific scarred area (TCA Cross). Moreover, they say it's better to start out with lower concentrations and gradually go up. Of course, I ignored that tip, but I'm still making good progress. Honestly though, this specific thread helped me out a lot, and his B&A in amazing.

And yeah, I also thought TCA Cross was just for icepick scars, but research says it also works for boxcar and other similar scars, which makes sense since the way boxcar scars are formed are similar to icepick scars, just shallower. However, rolling scars are different since the bonds of the scar tissue are tightly tethered underneath, and you'd need an instrument to physically break those bonds (subcision). Dermarolling can't help with that unfortunately so they don't reach down enough to break those bonds, but they're still good for shallow scars, wrinkles, and stretch marks.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone rate my routine? I feel like maybe I'm just not doing enough.

I get the odd breakout here and there and they mostly seem to be in the same spots. Usually it's on my cheek or neck area (front of my neck as well as the back of my neck). Have never really been able to control my acne breakouts and I have some scarring as well.

26 year old male if that makes a difference.

AM

Cleanse with Cerave hydrating Cleanser
Apply Elta MD moisturizing sunscreen SPF 40

At night I'll use the same Cleanser
Apply Paula's Choice Weightless Body Treatment 2% BHA
Moisturize with Cerave moisturizer.

I bought some sheet masks just to try someone new (Mediheal Tea Tree Oil mask)... See if that does anything to my acne or red scarring.

I've tried products in the past like rosehip oil, thayers rose toner, Cosrx blackhead BHA power liquid but honestly they either haven't done anything or I started breaking out because of them so I stopped. Maybe I was just purging but I get very demotivated to continue using something if it makes me breakout.

To be honest there's just so much shit nowadays when it comes to skincare in terms of products it's tough to find something that's legit...

Last edited:

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cheebdragonite Did my TCA cross last night after 4 months break, did most at 50% and some at 100%. Think 50% may have been too weak. I want to start dermarolling, as you said it was only when you did 1.5mm did you notice difference. Can one start at 1.5mm straight away? Also which peels and percentages did you do? I Enjoy experimenting at home with peels too :D (I do not recommend this to most people!).

Oct 30, 2017
cheebdragonite Did my TCA cross last night after 4 months break, did most at 50% and some at 100%. Think 50% may have been too weak. I want to start dermarolling, as you said it was only when you did 1.5mm did you notice difference. Can one start at 1.5mm straight away? Also which peels and percentages did you do? I Enjoy experimenting at home with peels too :D (I do not recommend this to most people!).
The 50% is still effective as the healing process is different; it's just that a higher percentage like 100% will yield you faster results but with more hyperpigmentation and prominent scabbing. I'd probably just apply 50% on the less severe spots, while 100% on the ones that are. I've started and I am still using my 80% TCA, and right now I still have a lot of pink blotches on my face, but I don't mind because a lot of my craters are gone, and eventually my skin will even out anyway. :D

And yep, I did notice more results from the 1.5 mm needle length compared to the .75 mm and 1.0 mm. The .75 mm and 1.0 mm over the course of the year (2016 - 2017) merely helped to reduce pores and improve skin texture, while the 1.5 mm led to less prominent boxcar scars after a couple of sessions (so almost 2 months). It also helps that after doing TCA, the scars that I had became shallower, so dermarolling against those will improve results as well. Since I started out with shorter needles, the 1.5 mm was easy on my skin and didn't hurt besides the forehead a little. I think as long as you're taking precautions and understand the risks, you're fine to start out with 1.5 mm. After all, I did start out with 80% TCA, and I'm still doing well!

signal

Oct 28, 2017
There's some 'controversy' lately about Purito and maybe other Asian sunscreens testing way below their advertised SPF amount, like SPF15 instead of 50+. Looks like certain European brands are still testing the best.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's some 'controversy' lately about Purito and maybe other Asian sunscreens testing way below their advertised SPF amount, like SPF15 instead of 50+. Looks like certain European brands are still testing the best.
That would be very disappointing if true. I love the purito sunscreen and recently stocked up on it smh. Where can I read about this?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
That would be very disappointing if true. I love the purito sunscreen and recently stocked up on it smh. Where can I read about this?
I have it on my shelf right beside an LRP one ironically.

www.instagram.com

INCIDecoder on Instagram: "Hello Insta, we are back! 👋 And would like to start with a post on the 𝗣𝘂𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗼 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗿𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝘆. We know the discussion is around more than just this one Purito sunscreen, but where we have meaningful extra information is the P

26K likes, 4,250 comments - incidecodercom on December 3, 2020: "Hello Insta, we are back! 👋 And would like to start with a post on the 𝗣𝘂𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗼 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗿𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿�..."

INCIDecoder - Decode your skincare ingredients

Decode skincare ingredients fast with our science-based but easy-to-understand explanations. Analyze ingredient lists at a press of a button.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have it on my shelf right beside an LRP one ironically.

www.instagram.com

INCIDecoder on Instagram: "Hello Insta, we are back! 👋 And would like to start with a post on the 𝗣𝘂𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗼 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗿𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝘆. We know the discussion is around more than just this one Purito sunscreen, but where we have meaningful extra information is the P

26K likes, 4,250 comments - incidecodercom on December 3, 2020: "Hello Insta, we are back! 👋 And would like to start with a post on the 𝗣𝘂𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗼 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗿𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿�..."

INCIDecoder - Decode your skincare ingredients

Decode skincare ingredients fast with our science-based but easy-to-understand explanations. Analyze ingredient lists at a press of a button.

Omg soooooo does anyone have sunscreen recommendations for a darker skin person lol

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too suprised about the Purito sunscreen controversy. There were already rumblings from people using it and getting a tan very easily. Youtuber Cyrille Laurent was also against it from the start. IT was a a dream to put on, that for it to feel so good, it doesn't surprise me that it was lacking in appropriate amounts of filters.

infinite I'm brown guy, fitspatrick 4 and prefer chemical sunscreens too as less white cast. In terms of asian sunscreens, I do like Biore's UV aqua rich watery essence and Hado Labo UV Gel. European I like La Roche Posay shaka fluid I think its called.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Here is my current skincare routine:

Oil Cleanser: softymo Speedy Cleansing Oil (only use this once every couple of days / if I've been outside)
Gel Cleanser: COSRX Low PH Good Morning Cleanser
Toner: Son Park Beauty Water / Some by Mi Vitamin C Glow Toner / Some by Mi Snail Miracle Repair Toner (alternate)
Exfoliation: COSRX AHA 7 Whitehead Power Liquid / COSRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid
Essence: Missha Time Revolution First Treatment Essence
Serum/Masks: Many different options I alternate with masks but prefer Missha Sheet Masks, My Beauty Sheet Masks, etc. Usually items like black pearl, green tea, aloe, snail, etc. I have a drawer full of sheet masks.
Moisturizer: COSRX Oil-free Birch Sap Moisturizer (for mornings) / Some by Mi Miracle Cream / Missha Super Aqua Snail Cream (alternate)
Eye Cream: Missha Time Revolution Eye Cream
Lip Balm: La Mer Lip Balm / Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask (alternate)
Sunscreen: Biore UV Aqua Rich SPF50+++

Saad

Oct 27, 2017
my routine is kinda boring:
- cleanser: cerave salicylic
- moisturizer: la-roche posay
- serum: la-roche vit C
- eye cream: filorga time-fillers (i was skeptic but i liked it too much)
- sunscreen: Vichy 50 SPF
- every once a week i use differin

I really want to change all my products - except filorga- with skinceuticals as i have been wanting to start using glycolic since forever lol.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
By the way does anyone have any experience with skin on hands getting patchy reddish and then sometimes going back to normal uniform colour throughout the day. This started happening in the past couple years maybe? It cycles between looking fine to looking like I'm 20 years older haha.

Saad

Oct 27, 2017
By the way does anyone have any experience with skin on hands getting patchy reddish and then sometimes going back to normal uniform colour throughout the day. This started happening in the past couple years maybe? It cycles between looking fine to looking like I'm 20 years older haha.

honestly it can be anything, u should check it out. i had almost same presentation throughout my body beginning of 2020 and i got stressed thinking it was psoriasis but turned out it due to being anxious at that time

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I went to a dermatologist in 2019 because I was having some red irritated patches on cheeks, chin and nose + acne breakouts on chin. I had been trying out some new Paulas Choice products that focused on sensitive red skin but they didnt help and acne didnt get better. Anyway I was told by the dermatologist to stop using all products especially exfoliators and just use a CeraVe moisturizer and Benzoyl Peroxide on acne areas.

The moisturizer definitely worked better but I didn't experience any drastic skin improvements aside from not having super irritated skin. I think its very important to have a skincare routine beyond a single moisturizer and I definitely had better skin when I was using specific products. I tried using CeraVe acne cleanser because it had good word of mouth and holy shit I will never try that stuff again. I had CC breakouts everywhere and for months my skin never got better using that stuff.

I do think he was correct that exfoliators were irritating my skin but I felt it was important to my original routine. I'm wondering if I should just exfoliate less and only do it on certain areas while avoiding cheeks/nose? I still want to do chin because its the worst for my acne right now.

Also went and ordered the original products I used to use for acne/redness from Paulas Choice and it's already doing wonders for my skin. I'm trying exoliating again but only at night instead of twice a day. I'm still mad how awful the CeraVe cleanser was lol I hope the moisturizer works okay with the PC stuff. I'm going to order some rosehip oil from body shop(once again thank you to this thread for the recommendation a long time ago) because it was great for my skin and I got lazy and didnt restock for a long time.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moved to a new place and the water is so hard. I also take to me showers but it's always been my relaxation time. Now my skin is constantly itchy

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went to a dermatologist in 2019 because I was having some red irritated patches on cheeks, chin and nose + acne breakouts on chin. I had been trying out some new Paulas Choice products that focused on sensitive red skin but they didnt help and acne didnt get better. Anyway I was told by the dermatologist to stop using all products especially exfoliaters and just use a CeraVe moisturizer and Benzoyl Peroxide on acne areas.

The moisturizer definitely worked better but I didn't experience any drastic skin improvements aside from not having super irritated skin. I think its very important to have a skincare routine beyond a single moisturizer and I definitely had better skin when I was using specific products. I tried using CeraVe acne cleanser because it had good word of mouth and holy shit I will never try that stuff again. I had CC breakouts everywhere and for months my skin never got better using that stuff.

I do think he was correct that exfoliaters were irritating my skin but I felt it was important to my original routine. I'm wondering if I should just exfoliate less and only do it on certain areas while avoiding cheeks/nose? I still want to do chin because its the worst for my acne right now.

Also went and ordered the original products I used to use for acne/redness from Paulas Choice and it's already doing wonders for my skin. I'm trying exoliating again but only at night instead of twice a day. I'm still mad how awful the CeraVe cleanser was lol I hope the moisturizer works okay with the PC stuff. I'm going to order some rosehip oil from body shop(once again thank you to this thread for the recommendation a long time ago) because it was great for my skin and I got lazy and didnt restock for a long time.
Yeah I used to exfoliate every single day and that was really irritating my skin. So now I basically exfoliate 3 times a week maybe less. You do have to listen to your skin though and figure out what works for you and what doesn't. There isn't a hard and fast rule

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the lookout for a nice, light facial moisturizer with SPF as a big plus (Sunshine State and all) that can be used as a daily wear.

Note: (my problem, not yours) I have extreme difficulty putting together healthy habits like regimented self care but I'm downright mechanical when it comes to negative habits.

Saad

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the lookout for a nice, light facial moisturizer with SPF as a big plus (Sunshine State and all) that can be used as a daily wear.

Note: (my problem, not yours) I have extreme difficulty putting together healthy habits like regimented self care but I'm downright mechanical when it comes to negative habits.

i have used like 5 bottles of vichy lotion sunscreen. i love it so much because it doesn't leave my skin feeling heavy/oily lol.

whats a good way to scrub off dead skin from face? just a regular washcoth?

i was very hesitant to use any physical methods, but i read this paper and i bought this facial brush. the feel of cleanliness/freshness is so nice lmao (btw: they recommended Clarisonic mia 2)

813r2Fr-ILL._SL1500_.jpg

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I went to a dermatologist in 2019 because I was having some red irritated patches on cheeks, chin and nose + acne breakouts on chin. I had been trying out some new Paulas Choice products that focused on sensitive red skin but they didnt help and acne didnt get better. Anyway I was told by the dermatologist to stop using all products especially exfoliators and just use a CeraVe moisturizer and Benzoyl Peroxide on acne areas.

I do think he was correct that exfoliators were irritating my skin but I felt it was important to my original routine. I'm wondering if I should just exfoliate less and only do it on certain areas while avoiding cheeks/nose? I still want to do chin because its the worst for my acne right now.

I don't use physical exfoliants, only chemical ones. More than that, I used to use it maybe twice or three times a week at most. Retin-A once (super strong stuff) with LOTS of moisture and whatnot after, then after a couple days a "softer" exfoliant, AHA/BHA combo. And, I'd only do it once a day. Exfoliating twice a day every day seems like... you're going to fuck up your moisture barrier.

As for what areas to avoid, you can do that, or you can do some areas less. It's hard to say without knowing what your skin is like.

This is all just word-of-mouth, but it talks about your skin's moisture barrier. Basically, if you ruin it with over-exfoliating and too many products that dry your skin, you'll get messed up skin.

I personally use moisturizing products with things like ceramides, niacinamides, hyaluronic acids.

Also, since chemical exfoliators can be pretty brutal, be sure to use lots and lots of sunscreen with high spf. Ideally, one with both a physical and chemical sunscreen.

*edit: If you prefer a physical exfoliator, you can do things like use a konjac sponge, foreo, clarisonic. I have all three but stopped using them since I didn't feel like I needed it.

Last edited:

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use physical exfoliants, only chemical ones. More than that, I used to use it maybe twice or three times a week at most. Retin-A once (super strong stuff) with LOTS of moisture and whatnot after, then after a couple days a "softer" exfoliant, AHA/BHA combo. And, I'd only do it once a day. Exfoliating twice a day every day seems like... you're going to fuck up your moisture barrier.

As for what areas to avoid, you can do that, or you can do some areas less. It's hard to say without knowing what your skin is like.

This is all just word-of-mouth, but it talks about your skin's moisture barrier. Basically, if you ruin it with over-exfoliating and too many products that dry your skin, you'll get messed up skin.

I personally use moisturizing products with things like ceramides, niacinamides, hyaluronic acids.

Also, since chemical exfoliators can be pretty brutal, be sure to use lots and lots of sunscreen with high spf. Ideally, one with both a physical and chemical sunscreen.

*edit: If you prefer a physical exfoliator, you can do things like use a konjac sponge, foreo, clarisonic. I have all three but stopped using them since I didn't feel like I needed it.
I was using chemical exfoliants :( I think the biggest issue was doing it too often. I was doing it every day twice(AM/PM) so like you mentioned I was probably damaging my barrier by exfoliating too much. I stopped exfoliating 5 months ago but I'm kind of testing my skin right now by introducing it again and doing it once a week and so far I'm not experiencing any irritation plus my skin has been slowly improving already. I am also avoiding my nose/cheek area which are the most sensitive though with my routine only using exfoliants once a week I could probably put a small amount on both areas and see how it goes.

Moisturizer I'm using now is CeraVe and it's pretty good. I hated the cleanser from them(I tried two and they were both horrible for my skin) but so far the moisturizer doesn't irritate and my skin feels much better. It is quite thick so I try to use a small amount.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I was using chemical exfoliants :( I think the biggest issue was doing it too often. I was doing it every day twice(AM/PM) so like you mentioned I was probably damaging my barrier by exfoliating too much. I stopped exfoliating 5 months ago but I'm kind of testing my skin right now by introducing it again and doing it once a week and so far I'm not experiencing any irritation plus my skin has been slowly improving already. I am also avoiding my nose/cheek area which are the most sensitive though with my routine only using exfoliants once a week I could probably put a small amount on both areas and see how it goes.

Moisturizer I'm using now is CeraVe and it's pretty good. I hated the cleanser from them(I tried two and they were both horrible for my skin) but so far the moisturizer doesn't irritate and my skin feels much better. It is quite thick so I try to use a small amount.

Ah yeah doing that twice a day probably destroyed your skin. That's most likely why the derm said to stop using products completely. That's what is generally recommended with a damaged barrier-- go cold turkey on the exfoliators for a few months and just use a very gentle cleanser and moisturizers without any chemical/physical exfoliates.

Five months should be enough for your skin to have recovered. Good call on taking it slow and re-introducing it.

I've heard great things about CeraVe. They have a lot of nice things in their products. Personally I would say, if you have the time or interest, to look into a couple more products for your skin, especially something with niacinamide!

(Personally I LOVE shark sauce for my niac-heavy product. Been using it for like... four, five, maybe more years now, since like 2016. I change up my products a lot, just for fun, sometimes for price, but that's one of the skin care products I've never stopped using. One of their limited products [bouquet shark sauce] was AMAZING for my skin, but their regular shark sauce is fine too. Truly a solid gold product imo.)

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
i have used like 5 bottles of vichy lotion sunscreen. i love it so much because it doesn't leave my skin feeling heavy/oily lol.

i was very hesitant to use any physical methods, but i read this paper and i bought this facial brush. the feel of cleanliness/freshness is so nice lmao (btw: they recommended Clarisonic mia 2)

813r2Fr-ILL._SL1500_.jpg
Thanks, I'll look into it!

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah definitely stagger your usage of exfoliants. I was exfoliating with BHA once a day and even then my skin didn't like it. I use the product now once every other day.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not the exact right topic for this question but I started working out seriously early last year even before the Pandemic started hitting hard in the US. All in all its been a great success but one random thing I've been dealing with recently is the fact that I've developed several stretch marks on the insides of my bicep up along the front of my shoulder and onto the sides of my pectorals. Some of these have been there for a long time from when I was hardcore into benching and dead lifting in college. However I've started to develop several new ones as I've been pushing myself harder and harder.

I'm trying a product called bio oil for the last week and it's had some difference in making them a little harder to see and decreasing the actual wrinkles slightly but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on combating stretch marks. I've looked a variety of solutions up online but it seems the only real long lasting ways to deal with them is some pricey treatments like laser therapy. Just seeing if anyone has had any luck dealing with them without going down that route. I'll also mention I don't need to get rid of them completely but even making them less obvious would be great.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Maybe not the exact right topic for this question but I started working out seriously early last year even before the Pandemic started hitting hard in the US. All in all its been a great success but one random thing I've been dealing with recently is the fact that I've developed several stretch marks on the insides of my bicep up along the front of my shoulder and onto the sides of my pectorals. Some of these have been there for a long time from when I was hardcore into benching and dead lifting in college. However I've started to develop several new ones as I've been pushing myself harder and harder.

I'm trying a product called bio oil for the last week and it's had some difference in making them a little harder to see and decreasing the actual wrinkles slightly but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on combating stretch marks. I've looked a variety of solutions up online but it seems the only real long lasting ways to deal with them is some pricey treatments like laser therapy. Just seeing if anyone has had any luck dealing with them without going down that route. I'll also mention I don't need to get rid of them completely but even making them less obvious would be great.

Pretty sure stretch marks are genetic and there's nothing you can really do, honestly.

Keeping the skin moisturized is probably the best thing you can do. Bio Oil is pretty popular, though I have no idea how effective it is in getting rid of or preventing stretch marks.

Oct 25, 2017
haven't had any luck with products helping stretch marks either

tried bio oil for a while, but didn't do much for me. only time helped them fade