• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Am I just not noticing the difference because I see my skin every day or did I just not find the right combo of products that works for me? What are some other ways to find things that work for me besides straight up trial and error?

Could be that. Try comparing to an older picture of yours. Also, what's your purpose with skincare? That's what you need to focus on with the products so that's where you'll see a difference.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've definitely been getting way less acne since I started using daily BHA and (more importantly) cleansing my face with CeraVe when I shower. I've also been applying AHA once a week and using moisturizer the following day when I wake up to dry skin.

It certainly hasn't made my acne scars from high school go away or become less prominent but it's certainly made my skin more consistently clear day to day. Does anyone have any recommendations for acne scars?

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. When you say solution, do you mean a face wash or something leave on overnight?
Leave on overnight. I wouldn't go with anything like a face wash, because anything that's rinsed off after less than a minute on your face will not have time to do much.

In the case of my girlfriend she went with a liquid solution, akin to a toner (basically water with 2 % BHA). Apply a moderate amount to clean skin with hands or cotton pads. It absorbs very quickly.

She could also have gone with a gel, and in that case you'd apply a thin layer with your fingertips. Stickier and slower to absorb than the solution, but it's just a matter of preference.

Feb 10, 2018
I've never bothered with skin care all my life, I've never needed to, but now I'm older I have noticed the small cracks on the skin on my forehead appear a bit more defined, I don't know if moisturiser will solve this because the skin is not dry.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't had any skincare problems until a few years ago when I had to start going on a steroid occasionally which was always followed by subdermal cystic acne which often became inflamed and caused more problems. A little while after that I also started spending more time outside and decided it was time to take my skin care more seriously. I started using cerave facial cleanser and their AM moisturizer with spf 30 and both have really helped. I haven't had a single cyst and it's the first SPF facial moisturizer I tried that didn't feel like garbage on my face, and the difference after being outside for awhile is really apparent.

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Update on my microneedling treatment.

I did normal microneedling, not PRP (The "vampire" method) and I am so incredibly happy with my results. It's only been a week, but I notice definite improvement in my skin. Like... it's weird. No doubt it's smoother. A deep scar I had is definitely softer, the texture of my skin is definitely nicer, and pigmentation is a lot lighter. I didn't expect results this fast at at all, but its no doubt my face has improved. I keep looking at the mirror now and I'm like "holy shit it's not that bad" lol. I'm super shocked because I did have a lot of light rolling scars (still do, but it's better for sure).

If God exists he finally was like "Meh, I'll give her at least this chance" lmao... fuck. Over ten years of acne and the aftermath and finally my skin is the closest to normal its been.

Last edited:

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Update on my microneedling treatment.

I did normal microneedling, not PRP (The "vampire" method) and I am so incredibly happy with my results. It's only been a week, but I notice definite improvement in my skin. Like... it's weird. No doubt it's smoother. A deep scar I had is definitely softer, the texture of my skin is definitely nicer, and pigmentation is a lot lighter. I didn't expect results this fast at at all, but its no doubt my face has improved. I keep looking at the mirror now and I'm like "holy shit it's not that bad" lol. I'm super shocked because I did have a lot of light rolling scars (still do, but it's better for sure).

If God exists he finally was like "Meh, I'll give her at least this chance" lmao... fuck. Over ten years of acne and the aftermath and finally my skin is the closest to normal its been.

Are you doing it at home?

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I've been looking into professional microneedling, but they say that I need to get all my acne controlled and that's becoming really hard, despite using all the right treatments.

Yeah, it'd be very bad with pimples. I had hormonal acne every month because of my period and it was not great, always getting pustules that would leave me with red marks that wouldn't fade for months, if ever, sometimes over a year. My skin was very unevenly colored as a result. A Derm put me on a fairly high dose of accurate, 60mg every day, even though my acne wasn't severe at all, and I haven't had a single pustule since I finished in October, so maybe you could talk with your derm about that? It was the only thing that helped me :/ but I'm scared that I could relapse at any moment.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here use Foreo? I bought one of the cheaper one that you need to replace the batteries, but I'd like to know if it's something worth using twice a day, once a day and how long it usually lasts.

Inspired to come visit from that 'toss your boozy lotion' thread...

Does anyone have any recommendations for reducing the appearance of freckles/dark marks on your face? Someone had suggested some kind of skin whitener once, but when I looked it up it was illegal in the UK so I never bothered getting it. I did try Bio Oil once but never saw any kind of results.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Taking a second cycle of Accutane this summer.

Last time I took it was 15 years ago (I was 17) and it was quite successful although was like going through hell for that 6 months. Dry skin, cyst hemorrhaging, over all worse acne, and a couple emotional/temper outbursts. Overall, however, it was like a miracle cure that lasted for 3 or 4 years. I had people commenting on how nice my skin was who had no idea I used to have terrible acne.

Anyone have any tips/advice/success stories or maybe some encouraging words for a 32 year old man taking his second dose (other than stay out of the sun, I don't go out anyways)?

Thanks!

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Inspired to come visit from that 'toss your boozy lotion' thread...

Does anyone have any recommendations for reducing the appearance of freckles/dark marks on your face? Someone had suggested some kind of skin whitener once, but when I looked it up it was illegal in the UK so I never bothered getting it. I did try Bio Oil once but never saw any kind of results.

Try something with AHA or niamicide, those should help to fade your freckles. Also, wear sunscreen, freckles are caused by the sun.

Try something with AHA or niamicide, those should help to fade your freckles. Also, wear sunscreen, freckles are caused by the sun.

Thanks, Shizuka. My face lotion is 30SPF, so I thought I was covered, but pregnancy can make freckles/marks hella darker, so post kid 2 I've really started noticing them. Will give those things a try, but cursory look they seem pretty pricey. Better than just hoping for results from random stuff and wasting money, though. Cheers!

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
any product recommendation for the bags under my eyes? Cold spoons and tea bags dont seen to work. Im also a terrible sleeper.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
What's the best way to get rid of blackheads? My nose and the area around it a constantly riddled with black heads and nothing I do gets rid of them. I use Equate blackhead clearing scrub in the morning a few minutes before I take a shower and alcohol free stridex pads at night before I go to bed.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
any product recommendation for the bags under my eyes? Cold spoons and tea bags dont seen to work. Im also a terrible sleeper.

Get more and/or better sleep? If it's dark, you can deal by having more quality sleep, but if it's the puffy, "fatty" bags under your eyes, you'll need to consult a dermatologist and get an injection/procedure.

What's the best way to get rid of blackheads? My nose and the area around it a constantly riddled with black heads and nothing I do gets rid of them. I use Equate blackhead clearing scrub in the morning a few minutes before I take a shower and alcohol free stridex pads at night before I go to bed.

I take you clean your face everyday, twice a day? The best product for blackheads is BHA, it's a chemical exfoliant that penetrates your pores and will do the trick if you use it regularly along with your usual routine.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Here thanks to BADs thread and have a few questions. I'm 30 and have had acne issues since pretty young. I don't get much acne now but I am left with a lot of scars and what look like enlarged pores and wrinkles. Right now I just use a clarisonic brush with philosophy cleanser and a Korean lotion my friend gave me. Is Philosophy no good? I have so much left lol. Also should I not be using the clarisonic?

If recommended I'll probably try a better cleanser and a BHA exfoliant. Or is there something more specific for acne scars?

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't used exfoliating scrubs for quite some time now, bu what's the word on using exfoliating washcloths?

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
So I thought I give this a shot but im having a hard time finding exfoliant. Is that BHA stuff just that expensive? Not sure if I wanna go all in already considering I might just drop the whole thing in a week or two. 30-70€ seems really expensive but maybe thats just how it is.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
So I thought I give this a shot but im having a hard time finding exfoliant. Is that BHA stuff just that expensive? Not sure if I wanna go all in already considering I might just drop the whole thing in a week or two. 30-70€ seems really expensive but maybe thats just how it is.

Doesn't The Ordinary have really inexpensive BHA? You can go with something made by them.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I need a reply fast, should I buy the CeraVe SPF50 sunscreen lotion and is it necessary to wash your face before putting it on in the morning? Been reading this thread a bit and there are so many options it's daunting.
Currently use the Shea Moisture product line for skin care and it's okay, works well enough for my face. I don't have much acne, I'd say I'm your average-level of skin; bumps, oily, white heads and razor nicks. Not sure what else to say aside from posting a picture.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I need a reply fast, should I buy the CeraVe SPF50 sunscreen lotion and is it necessary to wash your face before putting it on in the morning? Been reading this thread a bit and there are so many options it's daunting.
Currently use the Shea Moisture product line for skin care and it's okay, works well enough for my face. I don't have much acne, I'd say I'm your average-level of skin; bumps, oily, white heads and razor nicks. Not sure what else to say aside from posting a picture.

SPF is necessary, the CeraVe one is a good choice. Some people don't wash their faces in the morning, specially during the Winter. You could just splash some water before applying SPF, although I do prefer to wash my face twice a day.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
SPF is necessary, the CeraVe one is a good choice. Some people don't wash their faces in the morning, specially during the Winter. You could just splash some water before applying SPF, although I do prefer to wash my face twice a day.
Thanks for the fast reply, I'll buy the CerVe brand SPF30 moisturizing lotion and start with that and the foaming facial cleanser.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What's the point of serums and toners? Leona Lewis said toner is for hot/humid weather but we don't get that here in UK. The serum recommended Asterwood Naturals Matrixyl 3000 is £91, that's too expensive.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Started my second cycle of Accutane today after taking it for the first time nearly fifteen years ago.

The physical and and mental side effects are no joke, I remember it being hell at times. When all was said and done, however, my skin looked brand new and my acne completely subsided for a good 3 or 4 years.

It came back of course and has worsened ever since.

Being that I'm going to lose my health insurance at work next year, I decided to give it one more go (I actually didn't even have to ask, my doctor recommended it immediately after one round of a doxycycline and topical clindomycine treatment proved unsuccessful).

So... yeah... I'm a little bit scared, a little bit excited.

I know this isn't exactly a thread for chronic cystic acne sufferers (my disease) but I have seen other post about Accutane and ask about. So, I'll put this thread in my watch list and send some updates over my six month treatment. I think it'll be therapeutic for me to document my improvement. And hopefully it will give some people on the fence about taking Accutane some more real life experience to check out.

Feel free to ask me any questions, or if you've taken it before maybe share some stories or tips/advice for me for my cycle. Thanks!

Here's first round of pics, my acne is quite cystic which don't show up well in these pictures, there sometimes deep under the skin and not so red on top. And it's mostly on my body (back, neck on all sides, shoulder, chest) I'm lucky to have never had severe facial acne. The scarring is quite noticeable as well, all in all my acne isn't too crazy bad in these pics, overall however it's certainly worse than it's been in years. The small pictures really don't do it justice but I didn't want to blow Era up with massive pictures overtaking the page.

Week 1 of Accutane cycle
IHcIe1O.jpg
Lqf4kpK.jpg
iR9ZKYS.jpg
sjdhTAT.jpg
ifvRwnk.jpg

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I don't know what's up with my right hand, but plan to book an appointment with my doctor to get a referral to a dermatologist my mom saw years ago, that I liked. The one I saw a couple of years ago at my doctor's office was not all that helpful, tough to talk to and didn't give me much of an opinion.

The cream he gave me for my dyshidrotic eczema didn't work, but I stopped using it for a while (months, a year) and then tried it again recently when it was really bad. Lo and behold, it cleared one of my worst flare ups in two days and my hand is pretty great now. I had used almost an entire prescription container of it before, and didn't notice that it helped much at all. It's a steroid too.

Looping back to the start -- my eczema has cleared up, but that hand still gets dry after one or two washings. My left doesn't. It's mostly my fingertips now, but the area on my palm where the eczema has been for years (off and on but mostly on) dries out too. A lot. While my left doesn't.

I use cream at night and it clears it up, but I have to shower and wash my hands during the day.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
For my face is use a Nivea sensitive 0% alcohol face wash. I also use their moisturiser. Helps with my young looks. I'm 33 but can easily pass for a 23 year old.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Good luck Kev. Hope it proves to be successful again. What are the side effects you alluded to?

Thank you!

For pretty much anyone who takes Accutane, your acne will get significantly worse for a couple months, then you'll start seeing slow improvement from there.

Most people also experience dry skin, chapped and cracked lips/corners of mouth, dry nose leading to nose bleeds, dry eyes, and joint/back pain. For a lot people the bone and muscle pain can be quite intense during treatment.

Less common side effects include depression, loss of appetite, loss of interest in activities once enjoyed, halluciantion and psychotic episodes/temper out bursts. There have been enough cases of people taking there lives that they make a pretty big deal of telling you that over and over again (so they don't get sued of course), it really fucks with your mental/emotional state. They even suggest follow up therapy after taking Accutane if you experience depression.

And, most importantly, if you'e a woman and you get pregnant than your baby can and likey will have internal and external deformation (they make the biggest deal of this, for good reason).

Like I said I've been through that hell already so at least I know what to expect, plus I hear it's not as intense the second time around. Thanks again for the well wishes! :)

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Anyone have any suggestions on scalp acne? I shaved my head, and now it's just prominent, red, and irritated. Hair would be incredibly oily I feel I didn't shampoo daily, still wash the little I have left- but it was like this last time I cut it down.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have any suggestions on scalp acne? I shaved my head, and now it's just prominent, red, and irritated. Hair would be incredibly oily I feel I didn't shampoo daily, still wash the little I have left- but it was like this last time I cut it down.

Could be Scalp Psoriasis so use something like T-Gel or Nizoral.

Also, could just be the wrong shampoo your using, try a different one and see what happens, don't leave it in your hair long either.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Could be Scalp Psoriasis so use something like T-Gel or Nizoral.

Also, could just be the wrong shampoo your using, try a different one and see what happens, don't leave it in your hair long either.
Thanks- I'll try the T-Gel, just ordered it off of amazon. Also will grab a Tea Tree Oil shampoo from Trader Joe's.

Oct 27, 2017
I was sent this article about Cetaphil cleanser not being good because of having parabens, and other ingredients being toxic. Any truth to this Leona Lewis? Considering it's recommended in the OP.

https://www.wellandgood.com/good-lo...lar-cleanser-isnt-doing-your-skin-any-favors/
The "other ingredients" the article mentions are sodium lauryl sulfate and propylene glycol, which are not toxic. Sodium lauryl sulfate is just a type of soap, propylene glycol is well-studied and not uncommon in skin products. If you want to avoid parabens, or you find Cetaphil to be irritating to your skin, then sure, don't use it. But toxicity is not something to worry about for this product. The article isn't particularly based on actual science.

Also, I can't really recommend taking advice from a website that also has articles about the sun conjoining Jupiter and how this will apparently affect the personality of Meghan Markle's new baby.

Hmm, good to know. Thought it was CeraVe for a minute and was a bit worried, but I've never used Cetaphil myself.
CeraVe also uses parabens.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The "other ingredients" the article mentions are sodium lauryl sulfate and propylene glycol, which are not toxic. Sodium lauryl sulfate is just a type of soap, propylene glycol is well-studied and not uncommon in skin products. If you want to avoid parabens, or you find Cetaphil to be irritating to your skin, then sure, don't use it. But toxicity is not something to worry about for this product. The article isn't particularly based on actual science.

Also, I can't really recommend taking advice from a website that also has articles about the sun conjoining Jupiter and how this will apparently affect the personality of Meghan Markle's new baby.

CeraVe also uses parabens.
Yeah, it's not exactly the most scientific site hehe. Thanks.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
So I have a problem, maybe someone here can help:

I shaved my legs with a dull, old razor and I now have ingrown hairs and even when they're not ingrown the hair follicle is still red. It doesn't hurt or anything, the red spots just won't go away. Is there anything I can do about it?

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
Okay I need help, don't have major break outs,but my face is always dry and I have some blackheads.

I use this:
GUEST_374421c7-0cea-45ee-b6bd-0497213ffc95

I want my face to glow, ya know?