• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend is all about that Sunday Riley blue oil (the Luna night time one I think) and has been using it for at least two years. Any opinions on the product? I'm not sure if what she has is considered acne but she gets lots of tiny little bumps. Not so much cystic stuff

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend is all about that Sunday Riley blue oil (the Luna night time one I think) and has been using it for at least two years. Any opinions on the product? I'm not sure if what she has is considered acne but she gets lots of tiny little bumps. Not so much cystic stuff
It contains Ylang Ylang, which is a common irritant that many people are mildly allergic to. Its leaf extract content is fairly low, but that's another potential source of irritation.

It's way too expensive for what is essentially a random concoction of non-cell communicating, non-skin identical essential oils. Its retinol concentration is too low to have any of its advertised exfoliating effect.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
My face gets super oily, I can like wipe the grease off multiple times a day (gross). Any suggestions would be appreciated!

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
My face gets super oily, I can like wipe the grease off multiple times a day (gross). Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Using a gentle cleanser is helpful. People will oily skin tend to gravitate toward harsher cleansers because they assume that the drier their skin feels after washing, the more oils they've removed, and the less oily they'll be throughout the day.

But facial skin doesn't work that way. Instead, what the body does is overproduce sebum in response to what it perceives as a traumatic stripping of its natural lubrication. Using a gentle, oil-soluble cleanser is the first step to maintaining a healthy sebum production cycle.

Next is using a toner like the Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting Pore-Reducing Toner, which is light and moisturizing enough on its own to follow up with a sheer finish sunscreen of at least SPF 30.

I don't really want to get into supplements too much because a lot of those aren't regulated as strictly by the FDA as topical solutions are, but Vitamin B5 helps suppress excess oil production.

Baz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Helens
What's the consensus on the Proactiv+ range that's often advertised on TV? https://www.proactiv.co.uk/

I've used the three step system and it seems to work well, but proves to me quite expensive in the long run. Unless that's just the cost of good skincare?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Using a gentle cleanser is helpful. People will oily skin tend to gravitate toward harsher cleansers because they assume that the drier their skin feels after washing, the more oils they've removed, and the less oily they'll be throughout the day.

But facial skin doesn't work that way. Instead, what the body does is overproduce sebum in response to what it perceives as a traumatic stripping of its natural lubrication. Using a gentle, oil-soluble cleanser is the first step to maintaining a healthy sebum production cycle.

Next is using a toner like the Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting Pore-Reducing Toner, which is light and moisturizing enough on its own to follow up with a sheer finish sunscreen of at least SPF 30.

I don't really want to get into supplements too much because a lot of those aren't regulated as strictly by the FDA as topical solutions are, but Vitamin B5 helps suppress excess oil production.
Is this a morning and evening routine or once a day?

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus on the Proactiv+ range that's often advertised on TV? https://www.proactiv.co.uk/

I've used the three step system and it seems to work well, but proves to me quite expensive in the long run. Unless that's just the cost of good skincare?
Proactiv has some decent stuff. Their Green Tea Moisturizer is good (and would be even better without fragrance).

But their glycolic acid-based cleanser (who puts AHA in a cleanser that you rinse off after a few seconds?) and 2.5% benzoyl peroxide-based pore treatment are so ridiculously overpriced. For a fraction of what they're asking, you can use a gentle cleanser, a daily BHA (rather than AHA) exfoliant, and a Sweet Tart-sized serving of Rugby 5% benzoyl peroxide.

Ditch it. Good skin care is affordable. I try to avoid recommending anything that costs more than $20.

Is this a morning and evening routine or once a day?
The cleanser step is the same morning and night. In the morning, you can use toner and then sunscreen, while at night (when you want to load up with richer and more moisturizing ingredients) you would skip toner and go straight to BHA and then a non-SPF moisturizing serum.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly going to be trying some of the products I see listed in this thread! I generally take pretty good care of my skin, cleanse/tone twice daily, spf moisturizer in the day/standard in the night and exfoliate twice weekly with my Derma E scrub and my skin blemish free but been haven't had success in getting rid of my largish pores on my cheeks, slight genetic dark/puffy eye bags and I've been getting more and more milia around the eyes so want to hopefully correct/help some of that.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
It contains Ylang Ylang, which is a common irritant that many people are mildly allergic to. Its leaf extract content is fairly low, but that's another potential source of irritation.

It's way too expensive for what is essentially a random concoction of non-cell communicating, non-skin identical essential oils. Its retinol concentration is too low to have any of its advertised exfoliating effect.
Just showed her your post and she said she actually takes it because its low in retinol and moisturizes her skin without clogging her pores so what do I know lol

Cat Pee

Oct 25, 2017
Not so much skin care, but I have an ultra thick lone whisker that grows out of my cheek every few weeks that I pluck. How do I get rid of it permanently?

dee_activate

Oct 25, 2017
world
Leona Lewis Thank you so much for making this thread. I need to have more knowledge and understanding of my skin and so happy this thread exists again.

first off I dont smoke or stay out in the sun, and when I do i usually have factor 50 everywhere. But i have problems with blocked and enlarged pores.
I mostly use Japanese products now. Using Shisiedo Ibuki cleanser, SK2 facial essence and SK2 facial oil. Also SK2 R.N.A. moisturiser. I use bobbi brown vitamin enriched face base as primer whenever i wear makup (yes I know this is not japanese). At night I do the same routine but minus the facial oil and use a shiseido night cream. And once a week use Cure natural aqua gel or an SK2 face mask. But still have problems with blocked and enlarged pores. Mostly around the nose area. I just recently bought paula's choice skin perfection and using that now also. Is there anything else I can do, or stop doing.

I was terrible looking after my skin as a teenager and now worried I can never make it up to my face.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Not so much skin care, but I have an ultra thick lone whisker that grows out of my cheek every few weeks that I pluck. How do I get rid of it permanently?
Don't pluck! It irritates the follicle and enlarges the pore, making the appearance of the hair as it regrows even more pronounced in its thickness.

Also Leona Lewis im curious what you think of SK-II. Shes heard good things about it and lots of her Asian family use it

Overpriced monstrosities with average formulations and poor packaging for many of its products.

Let's look at one of their $99 facial creams (which is actually one of their more affordable products):

Water, Saccharomycopsis Ferment Filtrate*, Butylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Sodium Hyaluronate, PEG-150, Cellulose Gum, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Salicylic Acid, Lactic Acid, Malic Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Benzoate, Methylparaben. *Pitera.

Sodium hyaluronate (a.k.a. hyaluronic acid) is present in pretty decent amounts, but the exfoliating ingredients (ex. salicylic acid, lactic acid) have so little bioavailability as to be practically nonexistent. And the science shows that topically applied cellulose is bunk for cellular regeneration.

Leona Lewis Thank you so much for making this thread. I need to have more knowledge and understanding of my skin and so happy this thread exists again.

first off I dont smoke or stay out in the sun, and when I do i usually have factor 50 everywhere. But i have problems with blocked and enlarged pores.
I mostly use Japanese products now. Using Shisiedo Ibuki cleanser, SK2 facial essence and SK2 facial oil. Also SK2 R.N.A. moisturiser. I use bobbi brown vitamin enriched face base as primer whenever i wear makup (yes I know this is not japanese). At night I do the same routine but minus the facial oil and use a shiseido night cream. And once a week use Cure natural aqua gel or an SK2 face mask. But still have problems with blocked and enlarged pores. Mostly around the nose area. I just recently bought paula's choice skin perfection and using that now also. Is there anything else I can do, or stop doing.

I was terrible looking after my skin as a teenager and now worried I can never make it up to my face.
The Skin Perfecting Pore-Reducing Toner will help a lot, but you have to apply it after cleansing with something less harsh than the Shisiedo Ibuki Cleanser. That cleanser is terrible, and commits the grievous sin of containing alcohol. Lots of Asian brands include alcohol in their cleansers and toners because they give skin a "tight" feeling that you might confuse for clean or oil-free, but in reality, it just ends up making your sebaceous glands go into overdrive.

I'm not a fan of masks or facial oils. They respectively irritate the skin and clog pores.

I use the JB cleanser and the exfoliate. Should I switch to the CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser?
The cleanser that you use really isn't so important, as long as it's not irritating. You rinse it off quickly enough that any unwanted dyes or fragrances don't have enough time to have any negative interactions with your skin.

Last edited:

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question...

I am currently taking Accutante (I believe the exact name of the pill is Epuris) and I need a moisturizer/sun screen combo for the mornings.

I know you have recommended a couple of them in the OP, but I was wondering if there was anything I need to look out for because of the medication I am taking.

I read the pamphlet that was given to me when I was prescribed Accutane and it mentioned something about getting a moisturizer/sunscreen that has non comedogenic ingredients...Is there anything out there that fits this criteria?

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
Best thing I did was go to a dermatologist. I was on Accutane for 7 months, which super sucked.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I swear by this stuff for facial wash. My skins breaks out easily but this works wonders.
I_3700194719159_50_20100916

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question...

I am currently taking Accutante (I believe the exact name of the pill is Epuris) and I need a moisturizer/sun screen combo for the mornings.

I know you have recommended a couple of them in the OP, but I was wondering if there was anything I need to look out for because of the medication I am taking.

I read the pamphlet that was given to me when I was prescribed Accutane and it mentioned something about getting a moisturizer/sunscreen that has non comedogenic ingredients...Is there anything out there that fits this criteria?
If you experience flaking/peeling skin with Accutane (which is normal in the beginning), I recommend cleansing using a gently abrasive towel to slough off the dead skin.

Most sunscreens are non-comedogenic (meaning they don't clog pores). The Kiss My Face one does the trick, but you're just as fine using a purely mineral or chemical variant.

I swear by this stuff for facial wash. My skins breaks out easily but this works wonders.
I_3700194719159_50_20100916
Ve9Y3.gif

Literally not a single redeemable quality about this product. Menthols, caffeine, and fruit oils (lemon and orange) all in one? And they say it makes for a more comfortable shave? With lemon?

An unholy abomination. Please donate to the bathroom sink ASAP :-0

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
I can vouch for what Leona Lewis posted. I followed the instructions from the old thread and the skin on my face went from being constantly red and peely (people would ask if I had windburn) to mostly perfect after about 2 months. Good stuff here.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I am completely obsessed with Aesop's Facial Exfoliatiant Paste. I use it once a week during my nightly skincare routine and my skin feels so much softer and smoother, without getting irritated. It's also great to use on my neck before I shave to avoid ingrown hairs.

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been on /r/skincareaddiction for a little over a year now and finally settled on a routine.

Cleanser: Mineral Oil (every night)
Moisturize: Sebamed Clear Face Gel (morning+night)
Exfoliant: Paula's Choice BHA Liquid (every other night)

I've tried a lot of products but they either broke me out or made my skin dry af.

No sunscreen I've tried has not broken me out unfortunately. With that being the case, I can't use an AHA exfoliant so that kind of sucks.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I lurked this thread all the time elsewhere, thanks for making it again!

I'm wondering if this is going to break my addiction to Kiehl's products... I love their Ultra Facial Moisturizer for night time or when I'm going to be indoors and I like some of their scrubs.

Also, any thoughts on using Retin-A for maintenance/ evening out skin tone?

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone give me crash course or stater guide?
I have no idea where to start.

dee_activate

Oct 25, 2017
world
The Skin Perfecting Pore-Reducing Toner will help a lot, but you have to apply it after cleansing with something less harsh than the Shisiedo Ibuki Cleanser. That cleanser is terrible, and commits the grievous sin of containing alcohol. Lots of Asian brands include alcohol in their cleansers and toners because they give skin a "tight" feeling that you might confuse for clean or oil-free, but in reality, it just ends up making your sebaceous glands go into overdrive.

I'm not a fan of masks or facial oils. They respectively irritate the skin and clog pores.

OMG really. shit. I always thought that shiseido and oils were great. ok thanks so much Leona Lewis . Buying the Toner online now. would I be better following a routine like Angelus Errare ?

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
Would it be impertinent of me to throw apple cider vinegar as a toner option in here? It worked really well for my skin (though I also use it undiluted, topically which I really wouldn't recommend lol).

EngenZerO

Oct 27, 2017
I steal all my wifes stuff:

Morning routine for the face:
Mario Badescu Acne Facial Cleanser
Ole Henriksen Truth Serum
Sunday Riley Good Genes
Bio Essense Squalane + Peptide Eye Gel
Beard Brand Beard Oil or Utility Balm or Bossman Beard Jelly on the beard.

Night routine for the face:
Mario Badescu Acne Facial Cleanser
Sunday Riley Luna Oil
Bio Essense Squalane + Peptide Eye Gel
Beard Brand Beard Oil or Utility Balm or Bossman Beard Jelly on the beard.

Moisturize the skin with Origin Body Creams

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else here ever visit r/skincareaddiction? I used to frequent there a lot a few years ago, but it seems like it's not as great as it used to be.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I have psoriasis, so my skin has always had issues over the past few decades.

Majority of treatments have always been hit or miss for me, and my situation is also complicated as a result of other health issues I have.

One thing that I have found that is actually helpful has a lot to do with diet as well when it comes to controlling my condition.

I think it's important when talking about skin care that talking about someone's diet is also a critical point that should be a part of the conversation.

Of course there are some obvious things, but there's also other not as obvious things people should consider when speaking to this subject.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
The skin on my hands was absolutely fucked after I completed my month-long through-hike of the John Muir Trail. Super dried out and cracked to shit. This was my before bed skin repair routine:

Step 1: Apply a generous amount of lotion. (Aveeno is the best lotion I've used so far.) Rub in well and let sit for a while (10+ mins).

Step 2: Apply coconut oil. A little went a long way for my hands; I just applied a thin layer of it.

Step 3: Finally, apply a top coat of Aquaphor.

Step 4: Put on gloves. No need for anything fancy; I just used an old pair of cotton mittens.

And then I went to sleep.

In less than a week my skin was pretty much fully repaired.

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thank god for this thread.

Lastly I'm getting a shiton of blackheads and pimples? I think? (they are very red but it doesn't have a exit so I can't to squeeze them) and the pimples are lasting like more than a month and I don't know what to do :(

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
This was one of the best threads. Looks like I need to buy exfoliant. I had no idea it was so important.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
My hands dry out a lot, so I try to use cream as much as possible at night, be it Glysomed or Vaseline Skin Repair or Working Hands. It helps some.

I find that my skin retains a lot of moisture, though, even after drying, which is annoying. I also deal with something on my right hand called Dishydrosis, and it's frustrating because if it's not itchy it makes my skin incredibly dry and scaley. Essentially, it's a form of eczema, which causes itchy water blisters to form under the skin.

The good thing is that it only affects the top of my right hand, and around the middle finger and one beside it (up the sides).

Anyone else deal with that?

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
My hands dry out a lot, so I try to use cream as much as possible at night, be it Glysomed or Vaseline Skin Repair or Working Hands. It helps some.

I find that my skin retains a lot of moisture, though, even after drying, which is annoying. I also deal with something on my right hand called Dishydrosis, and it's frustrating because if it's not itchy it makes my skin incredibly dry and scaley. Essentially, it's a form of eczema, which causes itchy water blisters to form under the skin.

The good thing is that it only affects the top of my right hand, and around the middle finger and one beside it (up the sides).

Anyone else deal with that?

I almost deal with the exact same thing. My skin is naturally really dry so I moisturize multiple times daily but same as you the top of my the middle finger and ring finger on my right hand also deal with extremely dry, scratchy/red skin that only gets worse if I don't constantly apply moisturizer. I don't seem to get blisters but it can get painful at times. Still trying to find a cream that works perfectly for it though.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I almost deal with the exact same thing. My skin is naturally really dry so I moisturize multiple times daily but same as you the top of my the middle finger and ring finger on my right hand also deal with extremely dry, scratchy/red skin that only gets worse if I don't constantly apply moisturizer. I don't seem to get blisters but it can get painful at times. Still trying to find a cream that works perfectly for it though.

Sorry to hear you deal with something similar.

I was given a steroid cream, but it didn't seem to do a lot. I was also told I couldn't use it daily. Going to see a skin doctor soon, though.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to hear you deal with something similar.

I was given a steroid cream, but it didn't seem to do a lot. I was also told I couldn't use it daily. Going to see a skin doctor soon, though.

Was it Triamcinolone Acetonida ointment that you got? That was the steroid cream my dermatologist prescribed to me but it didn't really help much and I hated how greasy my hand would feel after applying it.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Shea butter is the shit. Has the advantage of adding a very slight tone if you suffer from acne or look tired. A little goes a long way and it's dirt cheap. Just remember to melt between fingers/hand before application; it can be a little solid depending on the concentration.

Maile_rox

Oct 27, 2017
I micellar water, wash face with dove soap using a very very soft pore brush. Then depending on the day of the week I exfoliate or use a sheet mask. Then I use an aloe moisturizer, anti aging serum for the eyes and then top it off with a sleeping mask.

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for feet? I find that the skin on my feet is much harder to consistently moisturize and my heels are perpetually rough no matter what I do...

Thanks!
You might be surprised to learn that exfoliation works on non-facial skin as well. Applying 10% AHA lotion after gently scrubbing with pumice or a textured cloth would do wonders.

I lurked this thread all the time elsewhere, thanks for making it again!

I'm wondering if this is going to break my addiction to Kiehl's products... I love their Ultra Facial Moisturizer for night time or when I'm going to be indoors and I like some of their scrubs.

Also, any thoughts on using Retin-A for maintenance/ evening out skin tone?
Retin-A is an amazing supplement to proper exfoliation, and does great things for cellular regeneration in cases of darkened/discolored skin tone. However, it's expensive rather without health insurance. You can get it really cheap OTC or online from some channels, though...

Leona Lewis what retinol-a products do you recommend?
Retinoic acid is a less potent form of tretinoin (aka topical Vitamin A, aka Retin-A), so you don't need a prescription for products that contain it. I like the Paula's Choice 1% Retinol treatment. Some people are allergic to retinols, though, so if you find yourself red and rashy, discontinue use immediately.

Can someone give me crash course or stater guide?
I have no idea where to start.
I spent so much time on that OP too :-p

Would it be impertinent of me to throw apple cider vinegar as a toner option in here? It worked really well for my skin (though I also use it undiluted, topically which I really wouldn't recommend lol).
Apple cider vinegar is a bad addition to a toner because its pH level can sensitize skin. There are far more effective and gentle ways to exfoliate dead skin cells.

I have psoriasis, so my skin has always had issues over the past few decades.

Majority of treatments have always been hit or miss for me, and my situation is also complicated as a result of other health issues I have.

One thing that I have found that is actually helpful has a lot to do with diet as well when it comes to controlling my condition.

I think it's important when talking about skin care that talking about someone's diet is also a critical point that should be a part of the conversation.

Of course there are some obvious things, but there's also other not as obvious things people should consider when speaking to this subject.
Diet is important for certain conditions (and allergies), but it has nothing to do with most skin care-related issues. The notion that eating greasy foods increases oil production, for example, is a baseless myth.

Thank god for this thread.

Lastly I'm getting a shiton of blackheads and pimples? I think? (they are very red but it doesn't have a exit so I can't to squeeze them) and the pimples are lasting like more than a month and I don't know what to do :(
For blackheads, 2% BHA.

For acne, 5% benzoyl peroxide.

The tips in the OP also apply for women? And how does a face scrub fit into all of this?
I only recommend facial scrubs for people on Accutane (i.e. persistent skin flaking/peeling issues for which physical exfoliation is called for).

Shea butter is the shit. Has the advantage of adding a very slight tone if you suffer from acne or look tired. A little goes a long way and it's dirt cheap. Just remember to melt between fingers/hand before application; it can be a little solid depending on the concentration.
Pure shea butter is not harmful, but not necessarily additive either from an anti-aging standpoint. Why not use a moisturizer that includes it plus a bunch of other ingredients that can actually bind to cell receptor sites and do more than just lightly coat the surface of the skin?