• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are the average games' loading times as fast as you once thought they'd be?

• Yes. They meet the expectations I had for next-gen loading.

Votes: 675 62.7%
  • No. They may be quick, but not as fast as I thought they would be.

Votes: 218 20.3%
  • Some do, but most don't.

Votes: 105 9.8%
  • Most do, but some don't.

Votes: 78 7.2%

• Total voters

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. The near lack of load times and general quickness of the next gen consoles have been worth the $499 alone whether you own a XSX or PS5 imo.

dimitri2401

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
The (absence of) loading times in Miles Morales blew my mind. And considering how fast the PS5 can boot, you're in-game in like 30 seconds from a cold boot. It's simply crazy.

For me, this is the best feature of next-gen systems.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
They seem plenty fast to me. Esp in games like Demon's Souls where you die a lot or go between realms/areas frequently. Very fast loads.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really no. With the big deal people were making I was pretty much loading times to not exist. You're still waiting for seconds. That being said I don't have an issue with that, I'm fine with even 30 second load times. Doesn't help with that misleading gameplay trailer of Demon's Souls where they just cut out the load time in the video.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Series X is much quicker on loading than my PC so... and my pc was much much quicker than any recent console. Don't have a M2 drive tho only normal 2.5" ssd.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
The OP question is kinda open ended purely base on your experience.

Personally, since I am coming from all solid state PCs, I expected nextgen consoles to be similar or slight faster due to more optimization, and YES, that's what we go. Nothing like some claiming the PS5 secret sauce would blow away the PC.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Next gen games on ps5 are amazing. Spiderman is just insane. It's just instant. Cross gen games, not at the same level better overall but not amazing.
Cold boot ps5 and booting Control tob main menu in roughly 35 seconds. Insane.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
When games are specifically optimized for next-gen, they're absolutely on par with my expectations.
Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Sackboy, Control UE, Nioh 2 Remastered, Astro's Playroom, Destruction All Stars: all this game have basically zero loading times and it's absolutely insane.

Also, Activity Cards on PS5 made this even more impressive, just try to load a level in Demon's Souls or Astro's with one of those and you'll be blown away from how fast those cold boot loading are. Amazing

Also, I imagine things are going to improve a lot when third parties start to make their games next-gen only

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
They are definitely fast, but I was actually thinking we were going to get to the point of absolutely no loading times. But I still get excited seeing how quickly a game loads on the PS5.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like anyone that didn't vote the first answer, had really unrealistic expectations just based on some clever load screen hiding in the ratchet demo.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Way too early for this thread tbh. We've got like what... 4 next gen exclusives on the market right now? Its fine in BC games and better in next gen ports, but until we get devs spending ample time only coding around next gen machines, its a fruitless conversation imo. We still have games designed around 8th gen.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Give it time. Games have be optimized for it. PC has the same issue. Some games just don't seem to care how fast your SSD is.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I mean, the answer is that when you design a game to have fast load times on a system that can allow fast load times... then you get fast load times. That's what's happening with Miles. The SSD is way faster, but they've redesigned the loading to actually take advantage of that. Nonetheless, I remember when we were talking about 6-10 second loads and how the Series X would do 10s vs the PS5's 5s.

And.. it's both exceeded and not exceeded that haha. Series X has largely matched PS5's speeds. Certainly nowhere close to 2x. And in most games I've played, loads are indeed much less than 10s. Plus, Quick Resume and Activity Card loads (and/or if you just eliminate logos) means that game start loads can pretty quick too. I have no complaints, except that my brain gets used to this stuff and takes it for granted so easily lol.

That said, I'd be prepared for most games to not rigidly build toward showing off the SSD. I've never thought it would be some revolutionary magical key unlocking deep secrets of game design. It's awesome, it'll allow more stuff with fewer compromises, but it still takes work to take advantage of it. And I don't think most devs will think it worthwhile to sacrifice the game world or systems to accommodate "instant" loads.

George Romero

Oct 5, 2018
for PS5 No!

Only for exclusives i felt the difference, multiplataform games like AC vahalla was dissapoiting

But i have high hopes in the future they optimize and made almost instantly

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Normal game loads on PS5 and XSX are great, but nothing can touch Quick Resume. It's beyond anything I expected, and it's why I choose the XSX version of most multiplats.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Most of them do, but some seem to vary. Like most of the time in Valhalla the loading is pretty quick but sometimes it can take longer than usual. Still short vs last gen for sure.

I think the best one has to be Demon's Soul remake. It is not only the one game that really feels like the only real next gen title, but the loading is basically nonexistant.

I wish when they all are next gen only that we can see more like that.

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like anyone that didn't vote the first answer, had really unrealistic expectations just based on some clever load screen hiding in the ratchet demo.
I mean, Cerny said the goal of the PS5 SSD was to eliminate load screens. That's not at all the case. Pretty much every multiplatform game has load screens, and that's the majority of the library. I just don't see why it's unreasonable to have expected most games to performance close to what we actually got with, say, Miles Morales at about 10 seconds to menu and 2 seconds from menu to gameplay. A decent amount of PS5 games take 10 seconds or even more sometimes to load a game from the menu. That's fast, sure, but generally multiplatform games are loading anywhere between 2-5x faster on current gen compared to last gen on an SSD that Cerny kept singing the praises about, being 100x faster throughput than last gen. What's that mean to us if games can't even get close to leveraging that 100x increase?

gfbandito

One Winged Slayer
Apr 5, 2020
Does No Man's Sky count as a huge improvement or did Hello Games already cut the loading times down in some of their patches? I haven't played for a couple years, but I remember it took forever to load on the base PS4, and I'm blown away that it takes like 10 seconds now.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
How come? Not to say I shouldn't, and I do plan on getting one a year or two from now when the new-gen Gamepass lineup is more impressive and filled-out, but just because the whole BC games loading faster? I don't play enough BC titles to really make it worth it.
The load times are truly astonishing in some scenarios. Booting into some games is instant. I think once MSFT starts fully leveraging the hw for next gen titles it will be more than worth it. I think you're right to wait for the game pass line up to beef up. Sony definitely has the better line up at the moment so you're good but in a year you should definitely consider getting the Series X. I think I'll be getting the PS5 as well but when they release a slim model. Then I'll play all the exclusives like Returnal, Ratchet and Clank, God of War, etc.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
I have both consoles and they're both fantastic.

XSX with Quick resume is especially impressive. Sometimes I just forget about it and go to start an older and and BAM.. literally right where I fucking left off in 6 seconds. Fantastic.
6 seconds? I've been getting instant in some games like GTA 5. Just switch on the console which takes like 3 seconds, pick GTA 5 and it starts instantly where I left off. Instantly!

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Does No Man's Sky count as a huge improvement or did Hello Games already cut the loading times down in some of their patches? I haven't played for a couple years, but I remember it took forever to load on the base PS4, and I'm blown away that it takes like 10 seconds now.
They were improved in the next-gen update but got improved further in the latest patch.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Series X user here. Both standard loading times and Quick Resume loading times are comically fast. Like ... much faster that I thought they would be. And I've been using SSDs in my PC for a long ass time too.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
This was the biggest turnoff last generation... waiting waiting waiting... so yes big time excited about SSDs!

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
XSX user here, and yes. So much yes.

I've played a bunch of older games and newer crossgens, and loading times were next to nonexistent everywhere. Going back to ps4 is jarring.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I love how fast my PS5 is. The first one I got died after about 3 weeks. So I sent it back in and hooked my Pro back up. Was so painful going back. Like I was stuck in mud.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
They're what I expected having owned a 3.5gb nvme drive for years.

But with how much Sony said instant and near instant I can understand why some would've expected far more

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
We have so little truly next-gen content that we can benchmark with this so far. Demon's Souls and Astro's Playroom both give near instantaneous (1-2 second) load times. Cross-gen things just don't seem to be taking advantage of it. In those cases, yeah, I'm damn impressed.

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
Yeah for me, owning a ps5 & XSX the loading times on a whole are impressive, vs each console is what I expected, a lot of the talk before launch was hyperbole as in real terms they are so similar.

The real game changer for me is quick resume. Its incredible. I typically play Gears MP on a Monday and Destiny 2 on a Thursday with the boys, being able to switch into and out of those games to my SP games is mint. Obviously you don't see the benefit loading INTO those 2 games but playing a game before and after a session is seamless.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
For games built for next gen it has been amazing. Demon's souls and Astro's is particularly blazing fast for me. Haven't played Miles Morales yet but sounds like it is equally impressive. Playing TLOU2 at the moment and it took time to adjust to the load times even if they're not that bad on the PS5.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Series S here. Overall I'm very impressed. There aren't too many full-on next gen games just yet, but games old and new seem to load much faster. Almost everything I've played so far (Control, Doom Eternal, Viva Piñata) feels like it's powering through the load times. And yes, the Quick Resume functionality is pretty fantastic too.

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I guess most here just expected PC NVMe speeds, even through all of Sony's SSD hype. Which is fair, because for every multiplatform game that's basically what we got. Sony's hype definitely made my expectations higher. And even MS with their "velocity architecture" and all that. DirectStorage, etc. What's the benefit of this stuff if they don't make the games any faster to load than a regular old NVMe drive in a regular old configuration?

Hoping that in a year or two I'll be able to say, "I get it now." I guess we'll see.

We can definitely see inklings of that promise. When everything is working like it should, in the best circumstances, you can get cold boot switching almost as fast as Series X's Quick Resume. But even those games often end up taking about 10+ seconds longer when they randomly decide they want to show the intro logos.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
It's too soon to determinate. Almost every game on next gen consoles is a boosted old gen version.

Games like Astro and Demon's, next gen native games, have unbelievable loading times. Even others like Miles Morales have it.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they're still there but try using a PS4 or XB1 for a few minutes and the difference is huge.

New games built from the ground up for the new generation will likely use the SSDs better to a point where loading screens won't be needed anymore.

On the Xbox side of things, I'd like quick resume to be a tad faster and more reliable.

All that said, quicker loadings have made gaming much more enjoyable to me.

My most shocking moment with Quick Resume was when I took my XSX to a friend's place and the game I was playing still loaded up nearly instantly where I had left it!

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Same thing for other games. For example Fifa 21 or MK 11. If its an offline game that I paused. As soon as I boot up the console(Takes like 3 seconds), start the game its instant no loading time.
Hmm interesting. That goes against all the many videos I've watched showing off Quick Resume. But, to be fair, those were all around the launch of the console.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Best experience I've had so far was Yakuza 7 on Series X using quick resume. Saved so much time jumping right back into the game. The faster load times for games across both consoles is great so far, but that was a real next gen wow moment for me.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
They're pretty much where I expected them to be right now, considerably faster than what came before, but still not showing off the full potential aside from a few specific titles.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at PS5, XS exclusives, I say yeah.

Looking at 3rd party games, not so much.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I build a new pc a few months ago and starting windows in like 10 seconds is amazing, and games loading super fast is very nice too. SSD s really are amazing.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty hilarious playing Rocket League and sitting in a map on your own because I have a Series X and most other people have the older consoles. Just sit there and wait for them to load in.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Same thing for other games. For example Fifa 21 or MK 11. If its an offline game that I paused. As soon as I boot up the console(Takes like 3 seconds), start the game its instant no loading time.
Yes, because it loads directly into your most recent game, just like the XB1, PS4 and PS5 do. Switching between games still takes a few seconds.

Oct 26, 2017
Yep Demon's Souls was super fast, few other new games I've played also been really quick. Faster than my PC and that's got an NVME in it too.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
had a samsung evo in my ps4 pro

its still impressive compared to having an ssd in the PS4